geekhack Community > Keyboards

Are Matias Switches Crap?

(1/9) > >>

Kavik:
About a year and a half ago, I got a KBP V80 with Matias click switches. It took me a while to warm up to the switches, and they seem to have had a break-in period (they started out way too stiff but became usable after about 2 weeks), after which they felt inconsistent across the board. But they sounded nice and felt decent overall when typing though.

Within four months, the left arrow key stopped working. After messing with it for a while, I got it to register, but it was extremely chattery: three or four registers per key press. Keep in mind I'd only used this keyboard about 30% of the time at work during this four month period, so, in effect, it only had 5 weeks of real use. Since it was under warranty and I didn't have any spare Matias switches, I sent it back for repair.

After getting it back, I really didn't use it much. I used it for gaming for a couple weeks after getting DSA Lightcycle, but it mostly just sat in the corner of my room collecting dust.

Earlier this week, I got a TEX TKL case for it since that was my original plan for this board. I used it for a few days, and then I got the idea to switch out the fixed cable that came with the TEX case with the daughterboard from the KBP plastic case. It worked, but I had to disassemble it a second time it to secure the daughterboard better.

Well, now the danged comma key doesn't register. I tried switching back to the fixed cable with no success, and I see no damage to the PCB or switch pins, so I guess the switch just crapped out.

TL;DR Minimally used keyboard has two switches crap out in less than a year and a half. Do Matias switches just suck reliability-wise?

P.S. I'm going to see if disassembling the switch has any effect.

Kavik:
Apparently, disassembling and reassembling the switch fixed it... I have no idea what was wrong with it though.

At least switch disassembly is possible on these without desoldering.

XXXXXXXX:
Yeah, if it's a year and a half ago they suck when it comes to consistency; apparently they retooled recently, which has been said to help a lot, but I've never tried a retooled Matias switch keyboard so I can't say.

Disassembly can help sometimes, but other times you are just out of luck.

Hyde:
I owned a Quiet Pro when it first came out (so maybe 3-4 years now?) And haven't had any issues.

I maybe different batches are a little different, I had the original white stem ones (now they are grey stem I believe).

But hopefully the retool will help.

ollir:
Had to send a V80 with Matias quiet clicks for repair after one of the switches started chattering extremely badly, it would go on forever repeating the key if it started, and then shortly afterwards the switch stopped working altogether. I'm getting the board back soon, so I can only hope nothing else comes up with it.

I do like the switches and the board very much, so It'd be a bummer if there was more trouble with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version