geekhack Community > Keyboards

Are Matias Switches Crap?

<< < (2/9) > >>

macclack:
Because it can be so difficult to remove keycaps from Matias switches, I think the process of wrenching them off can cause issues. I've ruined a couple that way. Overall I think Matias switches are very sensitive. There isn't a Matias keyboard I own that hasn't had a defective switch. I have a bag of spares and just replace them when they go bad.

Kavik:
Hmm, sounds like a bit of a mixed bag from what I'm hearing. I've also read that vintage ALPs boards have some reliability problems, so maybe it's just something inherent with the design.

Mine does have the white sliders. I didn't know that the newer switches have gray ones. I got this board in October 2016 if that's any indication of which batch of switches it has.

I agree that the stock keycaps were very difficult to remove, to the point that I thought I was going to break the switches. However, I had to file down these DSA keycaps' stems so much for them to fit that they are actually fairly easy to remove.

nogoodnames444:
It really seems like kbparadises qc is really bad I got a v80 with matias clicks that double ghosted and had super bad stabs

OfTheWild:
I personally don't like the way the quiet clicks feel. They also seem to have a significant failure rate? Maybe its just because i repair a lot of them. But they're the best of the new ALPS compatible switches!  ;)

klennkellon:

--- Quote from: OfTheWild on Mon, 05 February 2018, 16:19:40 ---I personally don't like the way the quiet clicks feel. They also seem to have a significant failure rate? Maybe its just because i repair a lot of them. But they're the best of the new ALPS compatible switches!  ;)

--- End quote ---
they went overboard with the dampening. its not like the original dampened Alps where the dampening doesn't extend past the slider. So the Matias are mushier and the travel is noticebly shorter. but the Matias have a great tactile leaf and have less of the "roughness" of SKBM Alps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version