geekhack Community > Keyboards

Best way to clean Hi-Tek(Space Invader) switches?

(1/1)

BlindAssassin111:
I recently purchased an NMB PC-122 and the switches are a bit rough and scratchy and I can't seem to figure out the best way to correct this. I have tried lubing multiple switches in different ways and they don't seem to get better. My NMB RT8255C+ was super dirty when I bought it but the switches felt perfect as is and I have had no issues in the past couple months typing with it(my current DD), which makes typing on the PC-122 annoying in comparison.

Any ideas, or instructions, on how to make them feel better?

dr_derivative:
Honestly, if they have been properly cleaned and lubed and they're still scratchy there's not much you can do. They're a bit like Alps in that dirt and dust will have scratched up the surfaces of the board if it was used a lot while dirty.

In general it is recommended to look for good condition space invader boards, the same as for Alps, as the dirty ones will probably be pretty scratchy. I'm guessing you got lucky with your RT8255C+ one in that it had only gotten super dirty after it was no longer in use, so it didn't affect the switches much.

BlindAssassin111:

--- Quote from: dr_derivative on Thu, 21 February 2019, 10:59:05 ---Honestly, if they have been properly cleaned and lubed and they're still scratchy there's not much you can do. They're a bit like Alps in that dirt and dust will have scratched up the surfaces of the board if it was used a lot while dirty.

In general it is recommended to look for good condition space invader boards, the same as for Alps, as the dirty ones will probably be pretty scratchy. I'm guessing you got lucky with your RT8255C+ one in that it had only gotten super dirty after it was no longer in use, so it didn't affect the switches much.

--- End quote ---

:( Damn that sucks, the person I bougth the PC-122 from said the switches were good(pictures showed an amazing condition board...so had no way of knowing) and they aren't...My RT8255 feels amazing but the PC-122 is irritating.

Do you know the best place to lube them in order to make them feel the best? I want to try and see if I may just be lubing them improperly in all of my attempts and the area it is actually needed most was missed. Otherwise this sucks...

dr_derivative:

--- Quote from: BlindAssassin111 on Thu, 21 February 2019, 11:11:05 ---
--- Quote from: dr_derivative on Thu, 21 February 2019, 10:59:05 ---Honestly, if they have been properly cleaned and lubed and they're still scratchy there's not much you can do. They're a bit like Alps in that dirt and dust will have scratched up the surfaces of the board if it was used a lot while dirty.

--- End quote ---

:( Damn that sucks, the person I bougth the PC-122 from said the switches were good(pictures showed an amazing condition board...so had no way of knowing) and they aren't...My RT8255 feels amazing but the PC-122 is irritating.

Do you know the best place to lube them in order to make them feel the best? I want to try and see if I may just be lubing them improperly in all of my attempts and the area it is actually needed most was missed. Otherwise this sucks...

--- End quote ---

Most of the friction comes from the vertical column in the centre of the housing that the spring sits in, as the slider fits quite tightly around that. If they're clicky, the follower arm can also add some friction and the whole click mechanism could benefit from some dry lube.

BlindAssassin111:

--- Quote from: dr_derivative on Thu, 21 February 2019, 12:26:27 ---Most of the friction comes from the vertical column in the centre of the housing that the spring sits in, as the slider fits quite tightly around that. If they're clicky, the follower arm can also add some friction and the whole click mechanism could benefit from some dry lube.

--- End quote ---

Okay, that is where I was playing with the lube...so that is a sign the switches are possibly beyond saving without some miracle lube. Thanks for the info!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version