Author Topic: What is the specifications of the LEDs in a G80-3000?  (Read 1096 times)

Offline zmurf

• Cherry G803000LQC With Latest Generation Trackpoint
What is the specifications of the LEDs in a G80-3000?
« on: Wed, 07 December 2011, 05:19:36 »
Do anyone know what the specifications is for three LEDs (Num/Caps/Scroll-lock) in a Cherry G80-3000? I want to replace mine with red instead of original green. But I don't know what kind of SMD diods to get... Size? Voltage? Mcd?

Please help...
At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 07 December 2011, 10:10:42 »
Quote from: zmurf;465665
Do anyone know what the specifications is for three LEDs (Num/Caps/Scroll-lock) in a Cherry G80-3000? I want to replace mine with red instead of original green. But I don't know what kind of SMD diods to get... Size? Voltage? Mcd?

Please help...

Red diodes operate at a much lower forward voltage drop, so they'll pass more current than the greens would have if you just drop them in. I'd recommend replacing the resistors with higher value-d ones as well, or adding another resistor in series.

Also: Are you user they're SMD? Most of the indicator LED's I've seen are standard through-hole (5mm I think?) ones.

Offline zmurf

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 07 December 2011, 10:35:54 »
I'm quite sure it's SMDs. But I will have to check again.

Thanks for the other tips... I would not have thought of those things.. :)
At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D

Offline zmurf

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 08 December 2011, 02:49:12 »
As I thought.. SMDs. They seem to be about 1.5-1.8mm wide (reference paper has squares that is 5mm wide).

But what I really want to know is forward current and forward voltage. Size can always be tweaked...
I guess I could always remove one and measure myself... but it's much easier if someone already knows.. :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 December 2011, 03:55:19 by zmurf »