Author Topic: Could I mod the HHKB to have USB 3.0 ports?  (Read 975 times)

Offline sudo!!

Could I mod the HHKB to have USB 3.0 ports?
« on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 01:12:49 »
So... I'm ordering an HHKB but the only thing I'm not in love with are the USB ports. It seems like it would be the PERFECT keyboard if it had USB 3.0. I'm a bit of a hardware hacker, so I'm wondering if anyone has SUCCESSFULLY soldered USB 3.0 ports onto the board. Have you ever even heard of this being done? Would it require a new logic board?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
Re: Could I mod the HHKB to have USB 3.0 ports?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 01:23:22 »
So... I'm ordering an HHKB but the only thing I'm not in love with are the USB ports. It seems like it would be the PERFECT keyboard if it had USB 3.0. I'm a bit of a hardware hacker, so I'm wondering if anyone has SUCCESSFULLY soldered USB 3.0 ports onto the board. Have you ever even heard of this being done? Would it require a new logic board?

More than likely it would require a lot more work than is viable as 3.0 has double the pin count and then you'd also have to redo the hhkb plug to either micro or full size as there's no mini 3.0.

Steps off the top of my head:

Swap mini usb to usb 3.0 plug.  Probably mount to case to make things easier.
Run wire to pcb where mini usb plug once resided. 
Swap 1.0 to 3.0 plugs on hub.  Fortunately, 3.0 is backwards compatible so the first four pins are the same.
Run jumpers from 3.0 plug to 3.0 plugs to accomodate the additional 5 pins for that speedy data.

Also, not knowing how 3.0 hubs natively operate makes me wonder if it's as easy as jumping those extra data wires off or if there needs to be some kind of micro controller involved.