Author Topic: Deskthority - a small moan.  (Read 35626 times)

Offline ShivaYash

Deskthority - a small moan.
« on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 17:40:04 »
What is going on with this forum?

Lots of strong opinions and many don't actually own a mechanical board?

Happy to be corrected if I am wrong but from my limited experience, this is what I'm finding/ have found.

GeekHack rules, for me.
IBM Model M SSK, HHKB Pro 2 BT and Realforce 104U HiPro

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
Re: Deskthority - a small moan.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 17:43:18 »
DT is a home for banned Geekhacker's  :D

They do have a nice Wiki tho.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 17:47:04 »
I love the European mindset there. Ever read LKML? Yeah, that's it.

Quote from: Linus Torvalds
I actually like being outrageous at times. It's amusing to see... I guarantee you if you make that video available on the Internet, there will be thousands of people who are really upset... and offended. I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 18:04:12 »
There are *******s in both places.  Good guys too.  I think the main difference between the two is that DT is more EU focused and GH is more US.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 19:09:29 »
I heard DT is the same guy as GH but without glasses. Anyone confirm?

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 19:47:16 »
I heard DT is the same guy as GH but without glasses. Anyone confirm?
Met him at a wild party once. I didn't notice any glasses, but he does have a tight one...
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline iri

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 07:38:15 »
off-topic section is almost dead there, not interested.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 07:41:42 »
I'm a "European" but I like it much more over here. There site is ugly also.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 May 2013, 11:23:51 by Tym »
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 07:53:11 »
I made one post and upset like everyone.

I've managed to do the same with GH :D

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 09:03:53 »
DT is a home for banned Geekhacker's  :D
I wouldn't say "home". A couple of guys who were banned on GH have used use DT as a place to ***** and moan about it, but I can't tell that they have posted much on DT after that.
Ripster was on DT for a while after his ban here, but I think he got banned on DT too. It feels like a long time ago.
Still, I would say that all but a handful of members on DT are also on GH.

Ah, yes, a big keyboard collector who was banned on GH is also one of the founders of Deskthority. If I'm not mistaken out of the four founders, three guys were European and one was from the US. There are a few non-English subsections in the forum also. Therefore, I think that the aspect of being European is more significant than anything else.

They do have a nice Wiki tho.
The DT-Wiki snowball got rolling after the old Geekhack wiki went down. A lot of the info that I entered in the beginning was from old GH-Wiki paged that I had found on archive.org.
Personally I think that the GH and DT wikis should merge into a grand "Keyboard Wiki" and stand separate from the forums, but not everyone wants that...

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 09:05:00 »
From what I've seen, DT dislikes people using their forums to complain about geekhack. And rightfully so.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 09:09:19 »
Personally I think that the GH and DT wikis should merge into a grand "Keyboard Wiki" and stand separate from the forums, but not everyone wants that...

That would be kinda awesome, the GH Wiki is the only reason I even found these forms in the first place

Offline gliy

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 09:15:39 »
Just don't mention buying/selling clickclacks over there, things go downhill quickly.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 09:18:10 »

You mean the /r/mechanicalkeyboards wiki? ;)

But really, I think ripster would've been better off using another site for a wiki. Reddit's wiki isn't all that great as it stands. Hopefully it improves as time goes on.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 11:16:04 »
this kind of threads really make me sick

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 11:23:28 »
agreed. this is not cool folks

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Batmann

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 11:28:33 »

this post is better edited, for real.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 12:36:47 »
The world "NEEDS" enemies.... Ghers has chosen DTers  :D

since keyboard is so grey and neutral...

Offline ShivaYash

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 12:38:27 »

this post is better edited, for real.
indeed.
IBM Model M SSK, HHKB Pro 2 BT and Realforce 104U HiPro

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 13:08:09 »
The two sites attract different demographics and have different atmospheres.  Despite the words that have been exchanged there regarding GH, the admins were kind enough to set aside an area to host GH members during the weeks that our site was down. 

In the end, we are really the same community.  No need to site-bash. 
Russ

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 13:17:42 »
i always thought DT was more European based and GH was more NA based.  TBH i prefer GH but i wander over to DH when it gets a little slow here.
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 13:41:16 »
Well, FWIW, I have under 50 posts there, and I have a hair under 6k here. Take that as a hint. :P It's not that I dislike DT at all, I use their wiki and am thankful they setup a refugee camp. I've just not drawn myself to DT. :)

Offline dirge

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 14:25:28 »
Good that different sites with the same core interest can exist.

For me deskthority is my natural hideout.  Lower numbers, more information, more classic boards.

I keep an eye on geekhack as some of the people here are really nice, others, not so much.

Too much to try and keep track of here, clack, glowbot, classified censorship....

Really appreciate geekhack exists, without it, deskthority wouldn't be the same.
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 16:37:22 »
Seems like a sort of healthy competition overall.

I go weeks without visiting DT, because it has never seemed as "personally" interesting to me.

But I would be sad if there was only one of anything in the world.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline maxmalkav

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 17:49:40 »
I have found very nice people on both sides, but I tend to post a bit more on DT. There I feel like it's easier to find your own place. Don't get me wrong, but when you arrive here you find a very consolidate core of users and and talking for myself, I have felt a bit like the  newcomer with not too much to say.

Also the way I lurk both sides is different. I like to check DT marketplace, the GH one is almost forbidden because of the shipping costs, fortunately GBs happen on both sides and are not that expensive to ship to EU if we are talking about small things.

I agree about the focus (maybe even the philosophy) of both sites is slightly different, but it's also true that you can find many users with accounts on both sites. Matt3o it's an example of a guy greatly involved on both sites, he is an euro-guy moderating GH! ;)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 18:26:43 »

That would be kinda awesome, the GH Wiki is the only reason I even found these forms in the first place

this will never happen because the admins on all sides are too proud.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 18:45:08 »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 18:47:14 »

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 20:39:27 »
Really appreciate geekhack exists, without it, deskthority wouldn't be the same.

The feeling is mutual. ;)
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 May 2013, 20:49:57 by rknize »
Russ

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 20:52:43 »

take this way too serious than they should

*FTFY
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 22:48:24 »

take this way too serious than they should

*FTFY

i dont even know what the **** that means but i feel like im taking it way too serious than i should
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 22:56:57 »
I really should lurk DT more. I haven't been there since the GeekHack. . .Hack.
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 09:06:40 »
Deskthority is much more frustrating and much less user-friendly, in my opinion.

Whenever I have not logged in for a few weeks, it is a nightmare to get back in.

I can't get in at all these days, at my first attempt it tells me that I have used up all my attempts, and will not email me a new password or anything.

Maybe they are afraid that the r00tw0rm will target them for its anger.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 10:54:54 »
Deskthority is much more frustrating and much less user-friendly, in my opinion.

Whenever I have not logged in for a few weeks, it is a nightmare to get back in.

I can't get in at all these days, at my first attempt it tells me that I have used up all my attempts, and will not email me a new password or anything.

Maybe they are afraid that the r00tw0rm will target them for its anger.

Huh, I routinely forget my password on DT as I have it set to auto-login, so whenever it doesn't do it automatically I've forgotten and have to reset it.
Also in contrast to you I find that DT is more user friendly and less frustrating.

As for GH vs DT? Both. I like the mood on DT more, seems like less tolerance for actual BS and there's lots of keyboard-y stuff going on.
That said, I barely post on DT as the input devices and off topic forums are like molasses going uphill in January.
Stuff happens on GH, and whenever there's a new post in the GH input devices forum there's a chance it'll be something interesting to me, not some guy looking to swap out the switches of an ancient trackball.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 13:50:21 »
Both GH and DT an integral part of our little worldwide keyboard community.  Can't we all just get along?
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Trent

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 04:17:09 »
The one thing I notice the most is that threads stick around longer there.  For example there was a post in the Keyboards board that started at the beginning of 2012.  The thread is approx one year old...  People still posting to it...  still hitting page one.

Definitely don't see that at Geekhack as much.  If its around I don't notice it (only exception to this rule are groupbuys I'd say).
Quote from: Trent
I hate fun
IBM Model M | IBM Model M SSK | FK-2000 | FK-8000 | FK-9000 | Fujitsu Peerless | Zenith Data Systems (Yellow ALPS!) | AEK

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 10:21:05 »
Threads meant to complain about keyboard websites are not off-topic, and I believe the thread being in off topic is an excuse people use to say what they want and expect a lack of consequence.  Thread should be closed simply because it's meant to cause controversy based on what we perceive to be the OPs opinion/limited experience.

Troll bait, circle jerking, and rabble rousing. 

OP you aren't welcome to any coffee exchange I'm hosting until you clean up your act.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 10:36:36 »
Well that escalated quickly..  :-X
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 10:39:42 »
Threads meant to complain about keyboard websites are not off-topic, and I believe the thread being in off topic is an excuse people use to say what they want and expect a lack of consequence.  Thread should be closed simply because it's meant to cause controversy based on what we perceive to be the OPs opinion/limited experience.

Troll bait, circle jerking, and rabble rousing. 

OP you aren't welcome to any coffee exchange I'm hosting until you clean up your act.
I think the general consensus is that DT is great, they have an awesome wiki, community and board and when it comes down to it we're all just keyboard nerds so more the better!

No one has been baited in anyway nor has there been any foul play here. While it is not how we(I) feel, OP is definitely allowed to have his own opinion, when it comes to threads like these it's sometimes best to just ignore it and move on as there will always be haters. I never had any intention on posting on this specific thread, but I personally wanted to answer your concerns.
Keyboardless

Offline Rendom

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 16:47:39 »
Community on both site is ****ed up, but there are good and kind people on both site too. I personally post on here more, and read more about keyboards in DT. I mean.. it's wallet hack over here.. I have to hold myself back whenever I see something new.
QFR - MX Blue

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 07:28:46 »
Quote from: webwit
I'm anti-US. It is a fascist country. A country which commits murder from drones. War criminals. F**k the US, f**k your president, and f**k his voters. Any bombings of weddings lately?

That about sums it up.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 07:35:59 »
GH open more friendly with an inner ring of longer users
DT less open and more of an old boys club

That's how it comes across as a new guy in the scene, not to hate on anyone or anything. Not sure why Binge got super angry about this thread though..

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 09:15:34 »

That's how it comes across as a new guy in the scene, not to hate on anyone or anything. Not sure why Binge got super angry about this thread though..

Honestly, I don't think so. Self-censored euphemistic version of my opinion: both sites are essentially the same (except one is mostly European, and the other American), but GH has an extra consumerist part.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 09:21:50 »

Honestly, I don't think so. Self-censored euphemistic version of my opinion: both sites are essentially the same (except one is mostly European, and the other American), but GH has an extra consumerist part.

I mean, it's just my opinion but DT comes across as more of a boys club where as GH comes across as a better place to start.
The only reason I started posting here was to learn about mechanical keyboards. I found it easier to do this on GH than DT... Might be unfair I guess but that's just how I've found it. GBs are the easiest way to compare, I might be a moron but I stil struggle with 7bits DT GBs lol, where as on GH they are usually pretty moron friendly...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 23:08:22 »
When searching for information on keyboards, geekhack seems to come up far more often than deskthority.

Wonder if that says anything.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jabar

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 23:17:32 »
I've never used the GH wiki.

*ducks*
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 23:19:18 »
I've never used the GH wiki.

*ducks*

You mean that one page with the clacks on it? *LE GASP*

Offline tinlong117