Author Topic: [IC] Cloudline - 88% F13 TKL | GB on Saturday, October 9th  (Read 256274 times)

Offline misswaffle

Re: [IC] Cloudline - 88% / F13 WKL TKL
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 13:00:27 »
This board's aesthetic and theme are absolutely lovely! I love the elegant, subtle curves on the sides and the weight design. Like a couple others, I'm not a big fan of the logo engraving, so that cloud seems like it would be a wonderful addition instead. Definitely going to be keeping a close eye on this project!

Offline FaIIen

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 13:02:36 »
Very interesting, nice desgin!

Offline oilpapers

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 13:04:30 »
Gorgeous, form submitted, wallet terrified.

Offline steezkeez

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 13:26:22 »
cloud emblem looks cool

agree that re-positioning it to be offset to the right (rather than centered above the arrow cluster) would look better imo

Offline Jefff

• jlabs.co
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 13:27:08 »
Beautiful board, will definitely cop!

Offline ligongduck

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 13:39:05 »
This board is beautiful. GL

Offline hpkb

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 13:50:42 »
That side profile is cleeaannn

Offline Minam

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 14:08:41 »
Please put the logo on the center... WKL and F13 is all for that symmetry and it will be kind of ironic to have the logo be off center.

Even though the best option would not to have anything above the arrow cluster in the first place.

Offline LubedHealios

• swede living in The Netherlands
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 17:04:50 »
I would love the clean elegant look of no logo on the top,
although a shallower longer cloud engraving might be interesting.

Other then that the board looks amazing with a interesting double weight and the way to route the daughterboard,
the bottom looks great and how it transfers into the side which gives it a distinct and nice side profile...
overall i love the look of this, would be interesting to see how that spring leaf would perform with a less stiff plate material.
I'll be looking out for this one for sure
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 November 2020, 17:16:20 by LubedHealios »

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 17:34:39 »
Thanks all for the support.

One thing I have seen mentioned a few times is that the logo / engraving should be centered over the arrow keys (if there is one at all), for symmetry.

For the cloud emblem 'badge', I had it centered but removed it. In order to use the cloud piece, I would need to have it extended horizontally ... I don't want to center something that is ~1u wide over the arrow keys. My issue with centering something small over the arrow keys is that it kind of "connects" the arrow cluster to the 6-key cluster above it, leaving two empty rectangles to the left and right. It looks unnatural, too orderly .. hard to put what I feel about it into words  :))

In the case of the cloud example, centering that cloud perfectly over the arrow keys looked unnaturally orderly, how the left and right edges of the clouds lined up so closely with the up arrow key's cutout. Same goes for the triangle logo that is currently on the board - the choice to have it offset and centered 1u to the right of the arrow keys was intentional, knowing full well that I would break the symmetry and grid-like organization of everything to the right of the enter key.

I think symmetry, when it comes to blockers, keycaps, etc - excellent (tis why 60% is GOATED). But for this engraving, I don't think I'll be centering it unless the engraving is at least ~2.5 units wide to  fill in the rectangles made by the space above the left/right arrows.

Just my thoughts!

Offline oilpapers

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 18:31:11 »
I totally agree with that, think I even suggested it in the form too - an engraving along that full span would look very nice I think. Imagine a brass inlay too. 👀

Offline 3yatt

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 19:28:27 »
aw yeuh

Offline dantambok

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 19:42:21 »
bruv this looks amazing
Stuff  I have
More
2x TGR Alice / TGR 910 RE / TGR 910 CE / TGR 910 VKC / 2x TGR Jane V2 / 2x Matrix 2.0 / Matrix 2.2 / Matrix 1.2OG / Lyn Whale v2 / Lyn EM7 v3 / DK Saver / Keycult No. 1/60 /  Quantrik Hachi /  Quantrik  Kyuu / Duck Orion V2 / TGRxSinga Unikorn R1 / 2x Unikorn 2.2 / Quantrik QXP /  JER80 / TMO50 / 2x 86u / ION i69 / LZ MP / 2x FMJ80 / TGR Jane V2 CE / Matrix Project F / IDB60 / is0  / MXSS / Atom TKL / Duck Viper v3 / HBCP / Noxary 280 / LZ Physix / FLX Virgo / Modern M0110 / Matrix 2.0 ADD / TGR Police / Noxary XRF / Noxary Vulcan Pro / 350 Mimi / Matrix 2.0CP / Kira80 / Exent 65% / FMJ60 / Haus 65 / Kikuichimonji / Cake 60 / 2x AU Unikorn  Commission/ LZ XE / Paraluman 60 / AI03 Andromeda / Dalco 959 Mini GT / LZ Erghost /  Finder Works Hyphen / 2x Singa Kohaku / Linworks EM8 / GAFxTGR 910 / TGRxKLC Dolice / TGR 910v2 ME / Noxary Valhalla / Hiney Ibis / LZ REs / PerryWorks MC65 / Hiney Poly TKL One / RS60 / Zekk RBB / QK80 / Keycult No 2 TKL / FLX Virgo r2 / Matrix Navi

Coming --   Lynx50 (wixx scammed us) / Ladybird60 / JJW Derivative / TGR Shi

100+ GMK sets

Offline kk73715

• Why are you even reading
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 19:59:02 »
I would remove the internal horizontal lines on the brass weight - as you said, it detests from the theme. I will be following this, good luck :)

Offline sauv

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 20:53:42 »
love the theme of this board

Offline Dave_Types

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 21:10:21 »
Looking forward to this one!
Are you planning on doing multiple colours (I'd love a silver board) or is it just going to be the navy in the renders?

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 21:38:21 »
This is beautiful. Will be following this closely.

Offline Xephyrus

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 09:56:05 »
Thanks all for the support.

One thing I have seen mentioned a few times is that the logo / engraving should be centered over the arrow keys (if there is one at all), for symmetry.

For the cloud emblem 'badge', I had it centered but removed it. In order to use the cloud piece, I would need to have it extended horizontally ... I don't want to center something that is ~1u wide over the arrow keys. My issue with centering something small over the arrow keys is that it kind of "connects" the arrow cluster to the 6-key cluster above it, leaving two empty rectangles to the left and right. It looks unnatural, too orderly .. hard to put what I feel about it into words  :))

Show Image

In the case of the cloud example, centering that cloud perfectly over the arrow keys looked unnaturally orderly, how the left and right edges of the clouds lined up so closely with the up arrow key's cutout. Same goes for the triangle logo that is currently on the board - the choice to have it offset and centered 1u to the right of the arrow keys was intentional, knowing full well that I would break the symmetry and grid-like organization of everything to the right of the enter key.

I think symmetry, when it comes to blockers, keycaps, etc - excellent (tis why 60% is GOATED). But for this engraving, I don't think I'll be centering it unless the engraving is at least ~2.5 units wide to  fill in the rectangles made by the space above the left/right arrows.

Just my thoughts!

Agree with how you described the cloud to be unnatural if it's positioned perfectly at the center. Personally, I like the cloud shape and overall design of this board. Looks clean! I think it will look great if the cloud is extended slightly horizontally; maybe something like the engraving on Lyn Whale  :)

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 10:16:45 »
I like the overall theme and design! Very clean :) Any reason for the choice of mounting style?

Offline SirKhamenman

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 12:09:00 »
Already filled in the IC form! :D

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 13:43:50 »
I like the overall theme and design! Very clean :) Any reason for the choice of mounting style?

Honestly, one of my favorite things about making keyboards and getting prototypes is playing with random mounting styles. There have been some wacky ideas I've had but I'm not brave enough to prototype yet, so this leans more towards something that has been proven.

It's possible that I may revert this to the standard gummy worm / basic top mount if required.

Offline DERBS

• N E 3u bars avail?
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 14:50:07 »
Very nice! Consider me interested

Offline isot0nic

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 14:58:06 »
Ooh this is neat!

Offline wencan008

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 15:33:22 »
I mentioned this in the discord yesterday, but I'd love to see an orange/pink/purple color reminiscent of a sunset to go with that silver lining

Offline Jefff

• jlabs.co
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 17:47:59 »
So this won't be using a daughterboard, since it uses the H88?

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 18:03:37 »
Great looking board! I dig the current engraving but also wouldnt mind a cloud engraving.

Offline Nevermore012

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 18:08:13 »
So this won't be using a daughterboard, since it uses the H88?
no, he said in the discord will use h88 with daughter board, as you look the render.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mattv

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 18:57:04 »
Love the design.  Definitely would consider buying.

Offline yoniwolf1202

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 20:03:18 »
Hot damn, this is hawt. Will really keep a close eye on this!

Offline x9Memoriez

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 20:52:57 »
Cloud emblem is cool, but i think its slightly obtrusive to my taste, + the extra part concern (those tolerances would be quite tight)

Maybe it would work nicer as an engraving?
Matrix 1.2OG | Constellation | Rukia | TMO50 | HHKB

Offline UberPlatypus

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 21:33:11 »
Really like the design. Scared of the price if this becomes a reality. Add a knob and I'll fork over more than enough money to pay for a used Honda Civic.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

Offline IMZO

• Matrix shill, and TKL WKL Lover
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 22:38:45 »
i love this one..

Thought im done with tkls.. lmao
More
Current boards: Jane V2 CE , Matrix 1.2og Silver WKL , Matrix 2.0add coating black WKL, Matrix 2.0add WKL Coating yellow, Satisfaction75 R1 Cloud white, Korno65, Bloop65, HHKB Pro 2 white,Lin Whale Pink WKL, Gok 7v White, Gok 7v Black, Orion V3 Silver WKL, Orion V2.5 Red WKL, Geon F1-8x Silver WK, Haus65 BlueGray, Plume65, Vertigo, Frog TKL WKL GreenF13

Offline SmilingPudding

• 60% is the best layout.
    • Instagram
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 06:59:54 »
The side profile is so clean. We need more TKL boards with F13 key.

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #83 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 03:19:44 »
Small update to share, as well as clear some things up.

Price

I've seen a lot of people projecting that Cloudline is going to be really expensive - I've decided I'm going to strikethrough the $550 price estimate for now. This number was a result of finding that the Cloudline prototype 1 (no SS piece) was decently cheaper than my Phase prototype. (Of course, Phase pricing isn't finalized yet either - but from the logistics & spreadsheets I've done, I was able to estimate a ~$550 price point for Phase with me putting a few K upfront to cover manu costs). The SS piece for Cloudline should be simpler to machine than the weight on Phase, given it's essentially a flat piece of metal.

Also, I suppose it's not a good idea to set price estimates for bulk ordering on things that will be taken care of several months in the future. Phase may still be going through an experimental phase with more prototyping to be done - so Cloudline does not have a set timeframe to roll. There are a lot of factors to consider as to why price really shouldn't be estimated right now:
  • Potential design changes (unlikely to change costs by much)
  • Group buy date - not really thinking about this right now, but when it runs, currency exchange rates may have increased / decreased, machining costs may change, etc.
  • How many units? Don't know, it all goes hand in hand :hand_splayed:
  • Vendors? I do hope to have this out with vendors this time around, and in that case things will be very different from my own logistics with Phase. Please don't DM me as a vendor yet as it's going to be a while before I want to run this project.

"Big" Internal & External Engravings Update

I mentioned that I wanted to refine the internals by:
  • Making the stars and clouds appear more natural, less 'cartoony'. Aiming for elegance..
  • Change the internal brass pattern from the patterned grooves - the industrial, rugged look clashed with the board's gentle, sleek, dreamy theme.

Also for those who were curious, I removed the logo above the blocker for this render. Do forgive me for the lighting inconsistencies. Also note that with a silver bottom (for the 'silver lining' side profile), there would be less contrast against the steel weight... rendered in dark gray for visual purposes.

OLD
More

UPDATE
More

Note the laser engraved stars have been changed, clouds, etc. Logo has been removed from the arrow cluster as I only want the logo on this board once. Another possible area could be the edge facing away from the user (the face above the USB port).

Thanks for all the support so far! Shannie and I are ecstatic to see that people are liking what they see.

Offline SirKhamenman

« Reply #84 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 04:13:14 »
Love the previous design, also love the new design.
I like the design for the new stars and moon better, but somehow I like the design for the previous cloud better, but I like both designs anyway :)

Just my 2 cents
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 November 2020, 04:15:09 by SirKhamenman »

Offline Hdjekso

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 04:55:39 »
Love the previous design, also love the new design.
I like the design for the new stars and moon better, but somehow I like the design for the previous cloud better, but I like both designs anyway :)

Just my 2 cents

agreed

Offline Digmo

• keebit.studio
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 06:43:08 »
intrested to see where this goes

Offline o3okevin

« Reply #87 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 09:33:08 »
Winkey gang crying  :(

Offline oilpapers

« Reply #88 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 19:07:22 »

I know you can Ctrl + Esc for Start, but is there still a shortcut for locking the PC 🤔

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #89 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 19:18:31 »

I know you can Ctrl + Esc for Start, but is there still a shortcut for locking the PC 🤔

Personally, I use caps lock ctrl and my bottom left key is winkey 😁 it is fantastic.

Offline oilpapers

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 19:29:16 »

Personally, I use caps lock ctrl and my bottom left key is winkey 😁 it is fantastic.

Interesting! I guess I don't really use capslock all that much, could work out nicely.

Offline ubmit

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 22 November 2020, 01:47:36 »

I use the same setup here! It works great :thumb:

Curious to know about the price point for this, because I'm really interested in the design!
Lyn Whale | KFE CE | Frog | Singa | Dolice | Haus | Kei | Polaris | Prophet | Bongoneko

Offline kyuut

• i just learned a new dance
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 15:06:53 »
i've been doing some thinking about my previous comment regarding the engraving, i think adding a engraving that is more related to clouds would give the board a nice identity 
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 November 2020, 15:12:03 by kyuut »
More
TGR Jane v2 | TGR Jane v2 CE | TGR x SINGAKBD Unikorn 2.2 | SINGAKBD Kohaku R2 Prototype | HHKB Professional 2

Offline Drakenocas

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 22:01:10 »
That is nice looking.  Looks familiar though.  Not familiar enough to ID> Wish the bezel could be curvier.

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #94 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 04:54:55 »
That is nice looking.  Looks familiar though.  Not familiar enough to ID> Wish the bezel could be curvier.
i agree. the bottom is insane, but the top piece looks like anything else. without any engravings, there is no way to tell this board apart from others, at least not from the top.
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 12:27:03 »
i agree. the bottom is insane, but the top piece looks like anything else. without any engravings, there is no way to tell this board apart from others, at least not from the top.

Agree, would still like to have something on the top

Offline kiyoboard

• https://www.youtube.com/kiyoboard
    • https://www.youtube.com/kiyoboard
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 14:34:35 »
I also don't have any problem with well-made logo, engraving etc. on top. Considering that this is cloud/star themed board, maybe having a LED with star or multiple small stars cutout on the right of the arrow clusters might look cool.

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 16:50:44 »
I'm in either way, but would prefer an engraving on top to separate it from the rest.

Offline Shinryuuki

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 18:21:55 »
I absolutely love the theme and design direction of this keyboard.
Holistically, it checks a lot of the boxes that I look for in a keyboard.
My only hope is that you would kindly consider offering it in WK layout.
Aesthetically, I would tolerate WKL blockers on a standard non-F13 TKL as the wider gaps in the F-Row (especially between ESC and F1) somewhat compliment the WKL blockers.
However, on F13 layouts, the WKL blockers stick out a lot more and hinder the design balance since the F-Row is much more compact leaving very narrow gaps that don't match the WKL blockers.
This is especially true on this board since the top and bottom bezels have been already slightly extended.
Of course, aesthetics are subjective, thus I hope you will at least consider the option.
Nonetheless, I am looking forward to future updates and wish this IC all the best to a successful GB transition.

Offline jewleeuhn

« Reply #99 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 01:38:05 »
Loving this. Joining the discord, excited to see how it goes.
Brutal60 | GS6O | IU | Mc65 | 2.0add