Author Topic: Unreal Topre Modification Guide  (Read 4396 times)

Offline BuddyOG

Unreal Topre Modification Guide
« on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 17:31:55 »
Update 11/12/2021:

Please see my official up to date guide on my website here:

https://unrealkeyboards.com/pages/topre-modification-guide

Hi geekhack,

I compiled my months of RnD in topre modding into a how to guide that I would like to share.

A version of this with links to buy materials is availble on my website, linked below.

https://unrealkeyboards.com/

Unreal Topre Modifications Guide

What You’ll Need:

Tools

• Keycap Remover
  • Phillips head screwdriver
  • Jimmy or other opening tool
  • Lubricant applicator or fine paint brush
  • Heat gun or hair dryer
  • Scizzors
  • Exacto knife
  • Tweezers
  • Hole punch
  • Safety glasses
  • Pencil
  • Two books of equal thickness

Materials

• Krytox 205g0[0] or Krytox 205g2+105
  • Tribosys 3203 or Krytox 203g0 / Krytox 203g2+105
  • Krytox 205g2 or Super Lube
  • Super Lube or equivalent dielectric grease
  • 1.5mm heat shrink tube
  • 3mm heat shrink tube
  • Neoprene 1/64”
  • Neoprene 1/32”
  • Adhesive sponge neoprene 1/16”
  • Adhesive weights
  • Topre Silencing Rings
  • Unreal Topre Gasket

Procedure:

• Remove the keycaps.
  • Remove the shell.
  • Unscrew the PCB.
  • Wearing safety glasses, remove the stems from the housings. You can use an unsharpened pencil for this.
  • Remove the stem housings. Use a jimmy and insert it between the tab on top and the metal plate. Repeat on the other tab.

• Remove the stabilizers, including the spacebar stabilizer.
  • Disassemble the slider and stabilizer bar.

• Apply heat shrink tubes to the stabilizer bars:

Cut 6mm lengths of 1.5mm diameter heat shrink tube. Trim corners at 45 degrees.

Apply to either ends of the stabilizer bars.

Using an exacto knife, cut a spiral lengthwise in a 3mm diameter heat shrink tube.

Apply to the center of the spacebar stabilizer bar.

Using an exacto knife, make a cut lengthwise in two 1cm lengths of a 3mm diameter heat shrink tube.

Apply to either ends of the spacebar stabilizer bar

• Prepare the stabilizers:

Install topre silencing rings, either to the underside of the stabilizer housing or slipped around the slider, if available.

Apply Tribosys 3203 or equivalent to the surface of the stabilizer slider, including the spacebar stabilizer plunger. Use the smallest amount to cover the surface.

Install the slider in the housing.

Apply liberal amounts of Krytox 205g2 or Super Lube to each end of the stabilizer bar.

Install the stabilizer bar in the housing.

• Prepare the slider housings:

Install topre silencing rings, either to the underside of the housing or slipped around the slider, if available.

Apply Krytox 205g0 or equivalent to the housing rails. Use the smallest amount to cover the length of the rail.

Install the slider into the housing.

• Align the Unreal Topre Gasket with the underside of the metal base plate.
  • Install the prepared housings and stabilizers housings back in place, ensuring both sides snap into place.
  • Using 2 books, elevate the plate and housings off the table enough that the sliders are able to be in the “up” position upside down with the underside of the housings showing.
  • Place the domes on the housings. If using BKE domes, ensure the alignment carefully. An easy check is to align the crisscross pattern that the domes have for ventilation.
  • Place the capacitive springs on the housings. If using BKE domes, ensure the spring is not “snapped” into the dome but rather resting on top.
  • Prepare the stabilizer landing pads:

Cut 1/64” thick neoprene into 0.25” x 0.35” rectangles, two for each stabilizer.

Place 1/64” thick neoprene rectangles on either side of the underside of the stabilizer.

• Prepare the spacebar stabilizer landing pads:

Cut 1/32” thick neoprene into two 0.73” x 0.35” rectangles. Using the hole punch, cut semi-circles in the center of each 0.35” end of the rectangles.

Place 1/32 thick neoprene rectangles on either side of the spacebar stabilizer housing. The semi-circles on either end should surround the tabs of the stabilizer housing.

• Lube PCB with Super Lube. Using your finger, apply as thin as possible to cover the entire board.
  • Reassemble the PCB
  • Prepare the shell:
    Fill the case with adhesive weights.

Fill the remaining areas with adhesive 1/16” sponge neoprene.

• Replace the shell.
  • Test the keyboard.
  • Replace the keycaps.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 November 2021, 07:55:45 by BuddyOG »