Author Topic: Soarers' vs Generic Amazon  (Read 1836 times)

Offline yiuoterw

• i love wasting money
Soarers' vs Generic Amazon
« on: Sun, 02 July 2023, 17:17:07 »
I have a model M122 vintage keyboard. However, I do not have the right converter to use it with the PC that I have.
I have seen the prices on the Soarers' converters, but have also found some for like eight or nine dollars on Amazon.
Would the RJ45 to USB generic amazon converters work with the keyboard I've got?
new owlabs board when?

Offline Tactile

Re: Soarers' vs Generic Amazon
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 July 2023, 19:48:54 »
Let us have some links to the Amazon items so we can evaluate.
REΛLFORCE

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 03 July 2023, 07:33:18 »

RJ45 to USB generic amazon converters

Probably not, there is more to it than re-jiggering wire connections.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline sharktastica

• CompSci research student, IBMer, r/ModelM mod
    • Admiral Shark's Keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 July 2023, 04:34:57 »
Would the RJ45 to USB generic amazon converters work with the keyboard I've got?

I'm guessing you're looking at USB ethernet dongles? Those wouldn't work. Whilst your M122 uses the same physical connector (modular 8P*C) as the ends of ethernet cables and RJ-45 (modular jacks when using telecom wiring standards), it's not either of those. Such dongles wouldn't know what to do with the keyboard signal. If you want to avoid making a converter yourself, you'd need one of the expensive Soarer's Converters (or tinkerboy.xyz's QMK-Vial based converters or find someone willing to make one for you).
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 July 2023, 04:37:57 by sharktastica »

Offline yiuoterw

• i love wasting money
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 July 2023, 21:15:13 »

I'm guessing you're looking at USB ethernet dongles? Those wouldn't work. Whilst your M122 uses the same physical connector (modular 8P*C) as the ends of ethernet cables and RJ-45 (modular jacks when using telecom wiring standards), it's not either of those. Such dongles wouldn't know what to do with the keyboard signal. If you want to avoid making a converter yourself, you'd need one of the expensive Soarer's Converters (or tinkerboy.xyz's QMK-Vial based converters or find someone willing to make one for you).

OK, thanks for the help
new owlabs board when?

Offline mrhead

• Thread \ (•◡•) / Stopper
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 14 July 2023, 12:26:10 »
I have 2 of those keyboards and for the price of Soarer's converter, its worth it.  Mine both work great with no issues.