Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1266386 times)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #3950 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 16:59:30 »
I may have thrown this in here before... But JIS is an under-supported layout that has few decent key sets. Real shame :(

JIS is also the superior layout option. No one needs a gigantic 6-7u spacebar, people are just used to it.

yes but it has a bad left shift AND a badder right shift.

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #3951 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 17:11:44 »
Show Image

O.O ... That's a great idea.
Are you trying to convince me to buy a JIS realforce?

Offline E3E

« Reply #3952 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 17:33:51 »

Except that's more of an idealized layout and not how the layout is on a JIS realforce. I guess if you want to use software to remap it, then sure. I prefer ANSI, but I do have a few JIS models.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 November 2017, 17:35:40 by E3E »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3953 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 17:44:57 »
The physical layout is copied from 91U. Does it require remapping? Sure, but that's a very simple job for xkb/PKL/hasu's converter… I wouldn't want to use default US QWERTY on an ANSI layout either.

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #3954 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 18:03:15 »
Except that's more of an idealized layout and not how the layout is on a JIS realforce. I guess if you want to use software to remap it, then sure. I prefer ANSI, but I do have a few JIS models.

Yeah I realized, don't really have a problem with remapping and since all the keys stay in the same row you could even change the keycaps accordingly.

The physical layout is copied from 91U. Does it require remapping? Sure, but that's a very simple job for xkb/PKL/hasu's converter… I wouldn't want to use default US QWERTY on an ANSI layout either.

Have you used this? It looks great but upon second thought it might over use the index finger...

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3955 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 18:17:08 »
I use a very similar layout on my Phantom.

If you think pressing a few extra key with index fingers overloads them, consider (1) how common respective symbols are, (2) how much you use your pinkies (shorter, weaker) for the same task on a standard keyboard, and (3) if you can't simply ignore those keys and type respective symbols differently (Compose/layers), in which case this layout provides you more accessible thumb keys.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #3956 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 08:33:14 »
Show Image

This just feels like an amalgamation of too many different layouts. The num row is ansi, the and surrounding keys are semi iso/jis. I'd say the bottom row is the only thing truly ISO. The problem with layouts like these for me is the lack of physical separation from the middle punctuation and the alphas. I feel like I'd overshoot them.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline dante

« Reply #3957 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 08:01:32 »
For whatever reason I'm starting to enjoy the look of piss yellowed keyboards  :-\

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #3958 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 19:26:35 »
I can't say I understand the point of the fancy milled weights people put on the bottom of keyboards.  Like that Time TKL, the design is neat and all but you're paying more for something you will never see unless you're going to display it on-end and backwards or something.  I don't like most artisans but can at least understand their appeal, but I just can't wrap my head around the weight thing.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3959 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 19:47:27 »
I think the custom keyboard weights are for stability and reduction of vibrations rather than pure aesthetic purposes

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #3960 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 20:01:51 »
I get the basic idea of having a weight, but some people put the effort into designing ones that no doubt drive up the cost due to extra milling.  I'm sure it's not always a huge amount, but I imagine it's a considerable price increase for something like the Time TKL.

Offline zslane

« Reply #3961 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 23:34:26 »
For the nutters who buy that kind of stuff, it's satisfying enough just to know that fancy bit of carved metal is there, even if they don't see it. From their perspective, they've collected a piece of art. Hidden art, but art nonetheless. Also, since not that many of those Time TKL things will be made, the "limited edition" aspect of it makes its owners feel all warm and fuzzy and special, like they're part of some exclusive club.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3962 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 23:38:29 »
I think the custom keyboard weights are for stability and reduction of vibrations rather than pure aesthetic purposes

untrue

it's completely an aesthetic thing

stability is more determined by the actual design of the board

clueboard and whitefox are two of the more stable boards i've used, whereas something like a jane or a fjell isn't remarkably better than either

i would argue plate mounting technique has more to do with the feel of the board than whether or not it has a weight
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 November 2017, 23:40:33 by Puddsy »
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #3963 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 23:47:57 »
I can't say I understand the point of the fancy milled weights people put on the bottom of keyboards.  Like that Time TKL, the design is neat and all but you're paying more for something you will never see unless you're going to display it on-end and backwards or something.  I don't like most artisans but can at least understand their appeal, but I just can't wrap my head around the weight thing.

It depends on your mindset. For ex, Apple is known for spending extra time on making their unseen internals look neat and nice.

https://thenextweb.com/contributors/2017/11/19/how-to-prepare-for-the-cryptocurrency-revolution/

“For you to sleep well at night, the aesthetic, the quality, has to be carried all the way through.”

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3964 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 00:08:45 »

untrue

clueboard and whitefox are two of the more stable boards i've used, whereas something like a jane or a fjell isn't remarkably better than either

i would argue plate mounting technique has more to do with the feel of the board than whether or not it has a weight

I'm not an architect nor am I an engineer but couldn't a brass weight serve as a tuned mass damper (Taipei 101)? Certainly not constructed to prevent nausia during a bad earthquake but perhaps custom keyboard weights could work in a similar manner on a much smaller scale?

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #3965 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 05:13:24 »
I may have thrown this in here before... But JIS is an under-supported layout that has few decent key sets. Real shame :(

JIS is also the superior layout option. No one needs a gigantic 6-7u spacebar, people are just used to it.

Blasphemy! Any spacebar below 11u is absolutely unusable :mad:
Sentraq S60-X, dyed blank PBT keycaps, Gateron Browns

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #3966 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 17:33:36 »

untrue

I'm not an architect nor am I an engineer but couldn't a brass weight serve as a tuned mass damper (Taipei 101)? Certainly not constructed to prevent nausia during a bad earthquake but perhaps custom keyboard weights could work in a similar manner on a much smaller scale?

I think those are usually mounted on springs or something that allows them to move, not bolted in rigidly

weights are best at being weighty

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3967 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 19:52:21 »

untrue

I think those are usually mounted on springs or something that allows them to move, not bolted in rigidly

Kinda. In my head the theory somewhat applies to small vibrations. So there it is I guess.

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #3968 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 12:51:24 »

untrue

Kinda. In my head the theory somewhat applies to small vibrations. So there it is I guess.

I agree it is a good point, I think it does help with stability and the feels :
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 January 2018, 14:02:09 by dubious »

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #3969 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 13:41:06 »
Weights would change the mass of the keyboard, and therefore, the frequencies it resonates at, potentially making the keyboard sound better, but I assume weights are USUALLY used in keyboards to make them not slide around as much :)

The first possible reason above is similar to the reasoning for mass dampers, but a totally different mechanism. Mass dampers are weights suspended by springs which cause destructive counter oscillations, keeping the building stable. Bolting weight onto a keyboard would change the frequencies that the keyboard will resonate at, making the keyboard sound different to type on.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 January 2018, 13:49:53 by rich1051414 »
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3970 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 01:31:59 »
Weights would change the mass of the keyboard, and therefore, the frequencies it resonates at, potentially making the keyboard sound better, but I assume weights are USUALLY used in keyboards to make them not slide around as much :)

The first possible reason above is similar to the reasoning for mass dampers, but a totally different mechanism. Mass dampers are weights suspended by springs which cause destructive counter oscillations, keeping the building stable. Bolting weight onto a keyboard would change the frequencies that the keyboard will resonate at, making the keyboard sound different to type on.

bumpons do more to keep keyboards from sliding around than weights

and without weight, most boards are heavy enough to get the bumpons to do their job
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #3971 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 02:26:08 »

bumpons do more to keep keyboards from sliding around than weights

and without weight, most boards are heavy enough to get the bumpons to do their job
Maybe. I have light keyboards that do have issues with sliding around.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #3972 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 22:59:48 »
I like the extra weight and solidity to the feel of a board with a weight. There's also just a coolness factor of knowing it's there.

Similarly, I have mechanical watches with decorated movements and solid casebacks. I will likely never see the movement, but I still like knowing there's some beautiful handiwork inside.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline Kavik

« Reply #3973 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 12:11:40 »
ISO enter looks bad on fullsize and TKL but looks good on 60% and 65% for some reason.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #3974 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 09:42:45 »
1. I love a large keyboard and don't see the attraction for tiny, nano-sized keyboards. Give me a 122-key tank, thanks.
2. LED Backlighting -- really? Is this a keyboard or a f---ing disco? Feels like one of those 80's boomboxes, kind of pointless.
3. Buckling Springs are better (for me) than Topre, MX, etc. They're all fine, but BS feels the best.
4. People should buy and sell keyboards at whatever price suits the two parties -- that helps the hobby overall.
5. They were really overplaying that 'Despocito' song on the radio, glad they finally eased up.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #3975 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 11:49:15 »
I like cherry linear switches

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3976 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 01:09:55 »
1. I love a large keyboard and don't see the attraction for tiny, nano-sized keyboards. Give me a 122-key tank, thanks.
2. LED Backlighting -- really? Is this a keyboard or a f---ing disco? Feels like one of those 80's boomboxes, kind of pointless.
3. Buckling Springs are better (for me) than Topre, MX, etc. They're all fine, but BS feels the best...

It's fun spotting a soul mate every now 'n' then.  :?)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3977 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 01:23:05 »
Like most of you, I'm wacky about keebs. But if I had a choice between dinner with Natalie Portman and even the most outrageously rare MK—sorry, dudes, I'd be picking out a coat and tie.

187136-0
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #3978 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 05:49:00 »
Like most of you, I'm wacky about keebs. But if I had a choice between dinner with Natalie Portman and even the most outrageously rare MK—sorry, dudes, I'd be picking out a coat and tie.

(Attachment Link)

This is so obvious that makes me worry that I didn't take this hobby seriously enough. Would anyone decide differently from you? Really?

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #3979 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 06:58:49 »

(Attachment Link)

This is so obvious that makes me worry that I didn't take this hobby seriously enough. Would anyone decide differently from you? Really?
Natalie portman, the harvard graduate who also did this:

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #3980 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 07:47:38 »

(Attachment Link)

I mean, she isn't my type really, so I might not choose this. But you do you mane.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3981 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 08:05:07 »
I'd be a Space Cadet not to, actually.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3982 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 08:13:13 »

My favorite part:

"When I was at Harvard / I smoked weed every day / I cheated every test / I snorted all the yay"
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Altis

« Reply #3983 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 22:31:42 »

What a ridiculous post.

As if any keyboard needs a coat and tie.  :rolleyes:
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline atarione

« Reply #3984 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 23:29:58 »
some random gamer kid with a $30 red dragon thinks they are teh mechanical keyboard master race..

people with a $150 Filco kinda wish they have gotten a $500 Korean custom.. this hobby is stupid...

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3985 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 13:40:47 »
3. Buckling Springs are better (for me) than Topre, MX, etc. They're all fine, but BS feels the best.
4. People should buy and sell keyboards at whatever price suits the two parties -- that helps the hobby overall.
5. They were really overplaying that 'Despocito' song on the radio, glad they finally eased up.

Whoa, Krog is back!  :D 

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #3986 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 13:46:29 »
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 January 2019, 12:03:55 by bcredbottle »

Offline WhateverZYX

« Reply #3987 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 14:51:39 »
1. Tactility needs to be sharp and compact and not drawn out like Topre or MX Clears, or I won't even know the point where the switch actually actuates. Even if the MX Blues sound ****ty, the tactility is one of the best.
2. Linear switches may feel nice when trying out, but are completely unusable for typing.
3. There is not one vintage keyboard that actually looks acceptable, and which I would want to put on my table.

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #3988 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 18:17:04 »
topre doesn't feel better to me but different

Offline Kavik

« Reply #3989 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 18:43:50 »
1. Tactility needs to be sharp and compact and not drawn out like Topre or MX Clears, or I won't even know the point where the switch actually actuates. Even if the MX Blues sound ****ty, the tactility is one of the best.
2. Linear switches may feel nice when trying out, but are completely unusable for typing.
3. There is not one vintage keyboard that actually looks acceptable, and which I would want to put on my table.

I agree with 1 and 2. Most tactile switches just feel bumpy and not really tactile to me. MX Blues just suck all around though. Linear switches are great for playing games and stuff, but I really tried to use linears at work, and it was maddening. I switched back to my Model M. Co-workers be damned.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #3990 on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 18:42:33 »
Here's one:

Plastic is a perfectly acceptable material to make cases out of.  Thick high-quality plastic can be quite durable and frankly produces a better sound than most aluminum cases.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #3991 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 00:10:09 »
Here's one:

Plastic is a perfectly acceptable material to make cases out of.  Thick high-quality plastic can be quite durable and frankly produces a better sound than most aluminum cases.

I was thinking about this the other day myself. It would be neat to see a GB for a really high quality plastic case. I suppose the initial investment would be higher since it would require custom mold(s) instead of a multi-purpose CNC machine.

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #3992 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 09:55:28 »
Here's one:

Plastic cases can be quite good.  They also can be quite bad, and that's what gives them the reputation.  (I have a Phantom TKL with BOX Navy switches in a standard plastic Filco case right now, and it sounds awful!)  There's also a huge difference between, for example, a milled acrylic case and an injection-molded ABS case, even though they are both "plastic".

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #3993 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 00:42:41 »

(Attachment Link)

o.O

Ever get that feeling you are being watched?

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #3994 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 12:46:11 »
I guess some of these opinions aren't that unpopular. Just less heard in the keyboard community...

1) HHKB is overpriced
2) Topre fanboys are getting way too excited about a keyboard that feels like a smoother rubberdome
(I will say I'm in the camp that loves the HHKB layout. It made me change the ctrl/caps lock keys on all my keyboards)

3) Rainbow colored keyboards look cheap and childish
4) Artisan caps, see #3
I agree and I think people just like the feeling of a smooth rubberdome I have a type heaven and it feels good. But topre is way too overpriced

Offline zslane

« Reply #3995 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 18:03:54 »
Topre is only overpriced for those who can't afford them without spending time pondering their "value".

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #3996 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 18:23:11 »
Topre is only overpriced for those who can't afford them without spending time pondering their "value".

I have keyboards worth far more than any Topre, but I still think it's overpriced. Subjective value of an item doesn't make an item pricier unless there is a limited supply. Topre would be priced far lower if people weren't willing to spend such high prices, similar to Blue Alps which are also way overpriced (even if they are subjectively one of the best clicky switches).
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Altis

« Reply #3997 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 00:29:09 »

I have 5 Topre boards + a numpad and I think they're overpriced in terms of how much they should cost.

However, I understand that they are a bit niche so you don't get the economy scaling of volume mass-production much.

But it's also difficult to really say whether or not something is of good "value" since value can be pretty subjective. The average person would probably think any keyboard over $20 is poor value.  :rolleyes:
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline DaBubbs

« Reply #3998 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 07:13:49 »
But it's also difficult to really say whether or not something is of good "value" since value can be pretty subjective. The average person would probably think any keyboard over $20 is poor value.  :rolleyes:
Very true and well put... although I would double your price to about $40.

I got just as many "why would you buy that?" comments from my friends and family about sub $80 keyboards as I have with my Topre boards.
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid.

Offline zslane

« Reply #3999 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 11:53:36 »
Then don't dare tell them how much you paid for those artisans...  :eek:

This hobby can set you back a lot of money, and sometimes for the dumbest sh*t. Nothing is "overpriced" if you want it and can afford it. When somebody says a Topre Realforce board is overpriced, what they seem to be saying is that anyone who buys one got suckered, whereas what they are actually saying is that they are either unable to afford one, or unwilling to spend the money on one. That's a reflection of their personal circumstances, not a reflection of some objective truth about value.