Author Topic: Opinion about a New model m  (Read 3373 times)

Offline Giorgio

Opinion about a New model m
« on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 18:17:45 »
Would  you  buy  this ibm  keyboard, or  is  it  considered  inferior because  it has bene made  by  Lexmark?
They  seem similar  except for the layout, and for small esthetic differences  like  the IBM  logo...

http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/1392015
http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/1369294

What  adapter  would  you  use  to  connect  it  to  a USB port?

Thanks  in  advance.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Opinion about a New model m
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 19:23:38 »
Many people would consider a 1993 Lexmark-made Model M to be more desirable than a contemporary Unicomp Model M.

Bought new, presumably with a full warranty, it is hard to go wrong, although you could probably buy a used IBM-made Model M for 1/2-2/3 that price.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 06:41:14 »
Many people would consider a 1993 Lexmark-made Model M to be more desirable than a contemporary Unicomp Model M.

Bought new, presumably with a full warranty, it is hard to go wrong, although you could probably buy a used IBM-made Model M for 1/2-2/3 that price.

Thanks, now I'll look for a cable.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 06:49:28 »

Thanks, now I'll look for a cable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-SDL-6-Pin-6ft-IBM-Lexmark-Unicomp-Model-M-Clicky-Keyboard-Cable-NEW-/271367683396

It won't be quite as nice as the OEM IBM Cables, but still works like a charm

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 07:21:53 »
Basically, the older, the better.

IBM > Lexmark > Unicomp
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 09:01:02 »

IBM > Lexmark > Unicomp

So sad that things get worse and cheaper at each new iteration. Now at least there's the model f project, and another project, currently on hiatus, that will transform the model m into a model f.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 11:19:28 »

IBM > Lexmark > Unicomp

So sad that things get worse and cheaper at each new iteration. Now at least there's the model f project, and another project, currently on hiatus, that will transform the model m into a model f.
I was linked to an interesting comment on Reddit recently where someone assumed the Model F was not NKRO but 2KRO because "even" the Model M had 2KRO. I was so surprised to see a comment from someone who had assumed that keyboards would be getting BETTER over time rather than worse. Quite an interesting expectation.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 10:48:25 »

IBM > Lexmark > Unicomp

I was linked to an interesting comment on Reddit recently where someone assumed the Model F was not NKRO but 2KRO because "even" the Model M had 2KRO. I was so surprised to see a comment from someone who had assumed that keyboards would be getting BETTER over time rather than worse. Quite an interesting expectation.

I wonder why it's taking so long to do Mx mount stems for buckling spring keyboards. It should be trivial. And about silencing them, at least for the spring impacting the stem, that should be easy too. 

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 03:33:23 »

IBM > Lexmark > Unicomp

I wonder why it's taking so long to do Mx mount stems for buckling spring keyboards. It should be trivial. And about silencing them, at least for the spring impacting the stem, that should be easy too.
Trivial isn't the word I'd use xD .

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 06:16:55 »

IBM > Lexmark > Unicomp

I've seen a thread on deskthority about it, they had the 3d file. I'm sorry but I didn't save the thread since I'm not subscribed to the site, anyway it was the project about replacing the model m internals (not the one about the model f).

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 07:54:56 »

IBM > Lexmark > Unicomp

I've seen a thread on deskthority about it, they had the 3d file. I'm sorry but I didn't save the thread since I'm not subscribed to the site, anyway it was the project about replacing the model m internals (not the one about the model f).
Unicomp would need to have completely different moulds machined for the sliders, retool their keycap machine, get a completely different dyesub machine.... It would probably easier for them to make SSKs :p .

Moreover, why would you want MX caps? What's wrong with the massive PBT dyesubs on Ms? :p

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 08:07:39 »
It would probably easier for them to make SSKs :p .

Oi, some of us still have stong feelings about...

Never forget.

175675-0

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 09:34:21 »
That was cruel  :D
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 11:17:36 »

IBM > Lexmark > Unicomp

Unicomp would need to have completely different moulds machined for the sliders, retool their keycap machine, get a completely different dyesub machine.... It would probably easier for them to make SSKs :p .

Moreover, why would you want MX caps? What's wrong with the massive PBT dyesubs on Ms? :p

One standard to rule them all.

175696-0

175698-1

https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/remodeling-the-model-m-t13796.html

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 14:37:42 »

IBM > Lexmark > Unicomp

One standard to rule them all.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/remodeling-the-model-m-t13796.html
That's just stupid. How would you use Cherry caps on that? You'd get double-profile caps :p .

Offline Kavik

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 15:03:37 »
I bought a new old stock ANSI Model M (1995 manufactured) from Unicomp last year. Beware that they will ship it to you in its original box with no extra padding, so it will likely break rivets in transportation. Expect to do a bolt mod when you get it.

I have two 1989 Model Ms, and the 1995 specimen was definitely inferior. I ended up partially bolt modding it and giving it to my brother. Something about the click of the springs just didn't feel as strong or full as the 1989s. Not really sure how to describe it; it just felt cheaper.

I'm not sure how it would compare to a new Unicomp board. I've typed on two of them: one was absolute garbage, and the other one is pretty decent. I will say that the new old stock Model M will have a sturdier case. The Unicomp cases flip and flop because they have no rigidity.

My two cents.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 15:13:55 »
I bought a new old stock ANSI Model M (1995 manufactured) from Unicomp last year. Beware that they will ship it to you in its original box with no extra padding, so it will likely break rivets in transportation. Expect to do a bolt mod when you get it.

I have two 1989 Model Ms, and the 1995 specimen was definitely inferior. I ended up partially bolt modding it and giving it to my brother. Something about the click of the springs just didn't feel as strong or full as the 1989s. Not really sure how to describe it; it just felt cheaper.

I'm not sure how it would compare to a new Unicomp board. I've typed on two of them: one was absolute garbage, and the other one is pretty decent. I will say that the new old stock Model M will have a sturdier case. The Unicomp cases flip and flop because they have no rigidity.

My two cents.

Thank you very much, I appreciate your considerations. If I buy it from them, I'll surely ask them to pack it better.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 18:52:31 »
I have a Unicomp from about 2001-2003 that is a very nice, solid, well-built keyboard.

The only really bad Model Ms that I have ever gotten were late-1990s Greenock 42* specimens.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07