Author Topic: CES 2018: Cherry MX Low Profile RGB  (Read 8906 times)

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline ErgoMacros

Re: CES 2018: Cherry MX Low Profile RGB
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 19:17:33 »
Here's the Cherry page:
   https://www.cherrymx.de/en/low-profile-rgb.html

Their video at the end. Youtube has some reviews.
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 19:26:29 »
"MX Low Profile" is a misleading name because only the stem is Cherry MX-compatible... and so is also Cherry MY, M8 etc.
Over on DT, we decided to call it "Cherry LP" instead.

Here's the only video I've found so far:
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 January 2018, 19:28:19 by Findecanor »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 19:32:03 »
Surprised at how little the loss of travel is. Quite interested in trying this.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 20:26:34 »
Damnnnnn very interested in trying it out, I also already quite enjoy Cherry's low profile keycaps already (currently on Cherry MX Board 2.0 and 3.0).

:D

EDIT:  Here is the video for those who missed it at their page.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 January 2018, 20:51:44 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Harms

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 22:51:27 »
Hopefully in the future they will sell the switches separately and then custom kits will arise :D

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 23:47:26 »
  Initial force is too high, it's more than ten grams heavier than cherry MX red, and heavier than MX black... This means that to make the switch move you have to press really hard, and then you find a nearly constant resistance, instead of a linearly increasing one. Which seems quite unpleasant. This depends on the length of the spring.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/cherry-mx-low-profile-rgb-mechanical-keyboard-switches,36328.html

* lprgbRED2.svg (51.32 kB - downloaded 166 times.)
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 January 2018, 23:55:23 by Giorgio »

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 01:33:02 »
I'm interested in blue version :D

time to build a true travel board  :))  (just joking...)

Initial force is too high, it's more than ten grams heavier than cherry MX red, and heavier than MX black... This means that to make the switch move you have to press really hard, and then you find a nearly constant resistance, instead of a linearly increasing one. Which seems quite unpleasant. This depends on the length of the spring.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/cherry-mx-low-profile-rgb-mechanical-keyboard-switches,36328.html

(Attachment Link)

ugh... hope someone will make replacement springs...

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 07:16:15 »
Cherry MX Brown starts at ~40 cN, and there are lots of other switches with relatively flat force curves that people like, so I would not rule it out until you have tried it.

Edit:
Heh. Apparently, not all MX Red are equal. HaaTa's measurements of a MX Red RGB show that this particular switch starts just under 40 gf and actuates at 50.. Hrmpf...
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 January 2018, 08:29:28 by Findecanor »

Offline Merranza

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 08:04:56 »
Good job Cherry, this will make things even more confusing from now on after releasing your speed switch.

Basically, the low profile MX red is a stiffer version of the MX speed only starting at a lower position on the keyboard.

In other words, it's a lower speed switch where your travel distance will make you bottom out closer to the board instead of higher "in the air".

MX speed force graph:

MX low profile red graph:

Unless there's something I don't understand, that's how I see it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 January 2018, 08:28:45 by Merranza »

Offline nonah

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 09:51:26 »
Good job Cherry, this will make things even more confusing from now on after releasing your speed switch.

Basically, the low profile MX red is a stiffer version of the MX speed only starting at a lower position on the keyboard.

In other words, it's a lower speed switch where your travel distance will make you bottom out closer to the board instead of higher "in the air".

MX speed force graph:

Show Image

Show Image

That just seems like an awfully confusing way of looking at it.

Offline Merranza

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 14 January 2018, 08:29:06 »

MX speed force graph:

Show Image

Show Image

That just seems like an awfully confusing way of looking at it.

Why are you saying so?

Offline Hyde

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 14 January 2018, 14:40:10 »

(Attachment Link)

I think it should be fine, if anything I actually prefer constant force than force that ramp up.

So I have a MX Red keyboard also another board with 62g custom springs.  I much prefer the MX Red than the 62g custom springs.

The MX Red just feels stable and the force ramp up more constant.  The 62g spring feels like it start too light and bottom out too heavy, since it start out too light so it feel like it's more wobbly.  I wanted to try the 62g since I had a MX Black keyboard which I find too heavy then I wanted to see what the hype is with custom springs, what a huge let down.  I much prefer stock MX Red.  Custom spring is horrible on linear switch (tactile switch might be ok).

Also the Low Profile Red bottom out about 60g very similar to the regular MX Red which also bottom out at 60g.

If anything I think I might like this MORE.  I wouldn't worry about it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 January 2018, 14:42:07 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Lepidus

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 14 January 2018, 14:45:32 »

Are they compatible with MX plates?

Offline Hyde

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 14 January 2018, 14:54:26 »
From the picture it seems like the mounting size is same size, however PCB will have to be different since the pin location and the size of the middle stem is different.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 14 January 2018, 15:13:12 »
No datasheet released yet. The side-by-side drawing is not an orthographic projection so I could not measure exactly. It looks like it would fit, but only held in place by friction. I am not sure if it is supposed to snap on like Cherry MX, but ... then (judging by the tiny bumps on the side of the switch) then the hole would need to be a fraction smaller, cut with finer tolerances and the plate only 1.0 +0.2 mm thick compared to ~1.5 for Cherry MX.
I would not count on being able to build hand-wired keyboards with snap-fit low-profile switches.

None of the pins match up with Cherry MX (I measured). If the LED position matches Cherry MX well enough then I think it would be possible to build compatible PCBs that support both, similar to how some keyboards support both MX and Alps. Otherwise I think it would be better to have the low-profile switch oriented the other way.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 January 2018, 15:31:12 by Findecanor »

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 14:45:44 »
I wonder if a company buys rights to the switch like corsair or something

Offline t_southwell

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 15:25:54 »
A few keyboards have already been announced with these switches so I don't think a company can have even timed exclusivity that corsair had with the speed switches.
FC660C, Model F XT, AT102W, Pok3r, DIY-71, Anne Pro, Tada68, Magicforce 49, CONTRA, Smith Corona XL1500

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 15:49:47 »
There were several companies at CES 2018 that showed prototypes with the switch. (Check the videos posted above!)

I think it is therefore unlikely that Cherry would allow any one of them to buy exclusive rights for it for a limited time... Well, at least to the Red one.

Offline ramencup

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 12:28:34 »
could be an interesting choice for a portable 60%
i'm intrigued but i have no idea if it's any good

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 14:23:36 »
I just don't know why i would want a low profile switch

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 17:41:16 »

It is way less wobbly by design. It should be close to topre.

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 19:21:48 »

[
Welp i have a type heaven coming tomorrow so rip that idea

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 14:25:43 »
They aren't giving away samples. Probably cherry would listen to a GH administrator.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 15:21:24 »

I think people finally catching on to the sidewall design.  First Topre, then Kailh box swtich, now Cherry low profile switch.

But yeah hopefully the Cherry one will end up like the other 2 where it's smooth and no wobble.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 17:05:30 »
If they were compatible with the same PCBs, it would be nice. I wonder if this will kill the kailh low profile switches. I personally wish there were taller switches with a bigger feel. I think the limiting factor on clickiness and tactility is sometimes the small form factor.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 24 November 2018, 05:39:00 »
So the Corsair version of this is out, namely K70 MK2 Low Profile.

Anyone got their hands on one to give some feedback yet?

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 03:12:04 »
hmm... are these switches available for hobbyist yet?  :)

Offline Hyde

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 16:41:25 »
I actually wonder if Corsair bought the right again so in which case everyone else have to wait a year till they can use it.

Sigh......

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 11:13:37 »
Sigh. No chance of low profile @ ~35g? That'd be my freaking dream.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 11:42:54 »
I have read a couple of reviews of the Corsair K70. In short:
- More silent than regular Cherry MX Red.
- No complaints about being stiff or scratchy ...
- The keycaps are wider on the top because the switches are wider on the top than Cherry MX. :(
- Oh my God, the Light Bleed! If you have only one key lit, it looks like two keys in every direction are also lit.

BTW. According to Rama.Works' blog they are smoother on off-centre key presses than Kailh "Choc" low-profile switches.

I actually wonder if Corsair bought the right again so in which case everyone else have to wait a year till they can use it.
Cooler Master also has keyboards with these switches to be released soon.

Sigh. No chance of low profile @ ~35g? That'd be my freaking dream.
We'll just have to see if we could open them up and replace the springs with something. I'm guessing that the spring is different from regular Cherry MX — but that problem could be overcome, like there are now third-party springs for Cherry MX.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 23:39:32 »
Cooler Master also has keyboards with these switches to be released soon.

Ohhhh I think I'll wait for the Cooler Master version then.