Author Topic: I have a dumb question about the Anne Pro....  (Read 2843 times)

Offline AugustCanaille

I have a dumb question about the Anne Pro....
« on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 15:07:07 »
I'm embarrassed to ask this but I feel like someone here can elucidate for me what I apparently cannot figure out by googling.

So I'm fairly new to mechanical keyboards. I've played around on a lot, but I still haven't pressed down on a lot that are out there. Now, for switches I've tried a lot of Cherry and Outemu and Topre, and I've touched ABS and PBT keycaps (I prefer PBT by far). I like to pound down, I like bottoming out, and I always put o-rings beneath when I can, to soften the blow (I don't care about noise). So I bought my girlfriend an Anne Pro, because she loves pink and I got her pink keycaps and she can have pink lighting, yad yada yada. I unboxed it and started typing, and, for some reason, I *really* liked bottoming out on this, without the o-rings. And I can't figure out *why*. But here is my question: What's different about the Anne Pro that give it this pleasant thud? It has red switches (which I've tried many times before) and PBT keycaps (which I've also tried many times before), but it isn't like any other keyboard I've bottomed out on. I put o-rings under the stock keycaps and it's even better--that pleasant thud is still there. Obins is a lame site that is mostly in Chinese and I still get nowhere trying to figure it out.

So my theory is this: is it the mounting? Is it something plate or PCB related? Or is it perhaps that it's Gateron switches (which are new to me) that's doing this? (I doubt this theory because, from what I've read, Gateron Reds are virtually indistiguishable, and anyway, it feels like something *below* the switches that's doing this.) What is different about this that has that solid thud when every other keyboard feels hollow and clackety (not in a good way) and cheap? I've hit Duckys, Razers, Redragons, Corsairs, Havits, Topres (which I love, and really don't count this, I know), Logitechs, and Drevos. Is there something in the way the Anne Pro is mounted or the type of plate or case or whatever that is giving me this sensation???

Dumb question, I know, but I know someone out there would know and love to help me. Please.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 May 2018, 17:23:40 by AugustCanaille »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: I have a dumb question about the Anne Pro....
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 05:00:29 »
AugustCanaille: First of all, there are no "dumb questions" about the Anne Pro, or about any MKs. But especially about the Anne Pro, for some reason. It's a special status—this keeb-community-wide immunity from question-related derision—that, for some reason, the AP has enjoyed since its release.

I can't tell you why APs feel so good. The answer may be more esthetic than mechanical. However, AP manufacturer Obins does mention this on their site:

195883-0

All I know is, one day I met someone in a mall here in BC who had an AP, and my life hasn't been the same since. Of course I also started my gender reassignment that week, so that may have had something to do with it.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline AugustCanaille

Re: I have a dumb question about the Anne Pro....
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 12:48:18 »
A guy just told me a theory that it's because of the extra room where the battery is, and that this echo is sort of similar to the sound/feeling the HHKB gives. I'm not sure if it's true, but it does feel like something in the Anne Pro is creating a type of reverberation that gives me a pleasant feeling.