Author Topic: [GB] F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! Kishsaver+Industrial Model F  (Read 2350644 times)

Offline TieuNgu

Re: [GB] F62+F77 orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards
« Reply #300 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 20:57:55 »
The USB cables are detachable for all keyboards.  For the ultra compact case I expect the USB to be detachable without needing to open the case.

Currently there is an issue with extra voltage on the xwhatsit controller which was recently redesigned for the ultra compact cases to allow the cables to be detachable from the outside.  If anyone who knows electrical engineering/circuit design can help please PM me - I think that the resistor/capacitor values may need to change as the trace lengths are shorter.

Does it take so long to open up the case? I prefer the look of the original case but I like to quickly detach the USB cable as I move around a lot

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
« Reply #301 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 21:07:14 »
Nope it doesn't take long.  The case opens with 4 regular screws.

If you'd like to see a video showing the keyboard and opening it up please see here:

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #302 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 00:14:58 »
Nope it doesn't take long.  The case opens with 4 regular screws.

Good that it starts to get interesting, like opening a case box for a drive-train transimission.

Loving this more and more every time I see it.  Now this is what having a Model-F type keyboard should be  :thumb:

If you need to open it, break out a phillips and get busy, like working on a vehicle as such.

After viewing your vid I noticed how solid sounding it is when comparing it to any standard SSK or 101 Keyboard.  Has a deep thock but not sounding like a thorpie, almost like it's own sound especially designed for the Model-Fs.

Another thing here that has to be mentioned, is the USB cable which looks so flimsy and the way it connects to the PCB seems so detrimental.  Any Gorilla A-Hole can yank the cable out attached to the keyboard and quite possibly damage the connections, please say you will fix this when our models come to our front doors?

Never underestimate human-apes when keyboards are involved.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 June 2016, 00:43:36 by Elrick »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #303 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 06:42:40 »
Elrick yes I am including metal strain relief clips that attach to the USB cables in the original cases (not the compact cases) so that the cables will not be damaged, like the originals had attached to the original cord.  In the video I only had the clip installed on the F62 and not the F77 IIRC.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #304 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 07:36:52 »
In the video I only had the clip installed on the F62 and not the F77 IIRC.

Thank Gawd, I got worried since I bought the F77, the ONLY real Model-F keyboard every person on Earth should own  8) .

So anxious to receive mine, this GB is really shredding every last vestige of decency from me so now I'm picking fights with meek HHKB users.  This won't end well here at all........

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #305 on: Sat, 11 June 2016, 16:26:20 »
A major milestone:  we passed $100,000 in orders this weekend (including shipping)!

Also an update - the F62/F77 case mold tooling is expected to be ready in the next 1-2 weeks.  Then the factory will send me for my approval a die cast sample, the very first die cast Model F part in 2+ decades!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #306 on: Sat, 11 June 2016, 20:05:19 »
Also an update - the F62/F77 case mold tooling is expected to be ready in the next 1-2 weeks.  Then the factory will send me for my approval a die cast sample, the very first die cast Model F part in 2+ decades!

So it's COMING  :o .

Nice to see a proper resurrection of this famous Keyboard verses the Cherry Domination here on Earth.  Hope this keyboard fends off the insipid devotion to all the Thorpie and Cherry Clans and re-establish another Golden Empire of the Model-Fs.  May it rule a thousand years  :thumb: .

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #307 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 10:56:25 »
A major milestone:  we passed $100,000 in orders this weekend (including shipping)!

Great update! Can't wait to see the first one. Itching to get my hands on mine at some point in the near future  :thumb:

Offline ryahirv

« Reply #308 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 10:57:59 »
Just re-joined!  :-)

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #309 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 03:39:42 »
cant wait, this is going to be awsome. What is the current timeline that the earlybirds will ship?

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #310 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 03:48:49 »
cant wait, this is going to be awsome. What is the current timeline that the earlybirds will ship?
I try to forget I have this coming to me... but it's about all I think about...
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #311 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 04:06:45 »
I try to forget I have this coming to me... but it's about all I think about...

i always have it in the back of my head, trying to find me some cool BS artisans :)

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #312 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 19:27:44 »
henz it's expected to ship from china in late july/august at the earliest.  then it takes probably a month to ship by sea mail to me, and then I have to test each one before shipping it.

For those who haven't been following recently, there were significant delays on the factory's side which was disappointing.  The molds for the die cast zinc cases went into production about a month later than the factory's initial timeline stated.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #313 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 22:11:15 »
henz it's expected to ship from china in late july/august at the earliest.  then it takes probably a month to ship by sea mail to me, and then I have to test each one before shipping it.

For those who haven't been following recently, there were significant delays on the factory's side which was disappointing.  The molds for the die cast zinc cases went into production about a month later than the factory's initial timeline stated.

Not worried here just as long as my F77 arrives at my Front door before the 25th of December 2016, then I'll be happy  ;D  .

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #314 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 00:01:40 »

Thanks ill wait impatiently until then :)

Offline tassadarforaiur

« Reply #315 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 10:15:36 »
Hey Ellipse. I know the new deadline isn't set it stone yet, but could you update op with a conservative new deadline please? Want to order a couple, but would like a better idea of how many other purchases I'll need to reprioritize to make it happen.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #316 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 20:22:02 »
I would say we will keep final round orders open at least until late November for anyone who wants a last minute holiday gift. 

So if you would prefer that your keyboard ships from China in late July/August at the earliest please order with the early bird round in the next month or so.

(cross-posted reply from the IC regarding the early bird deadlnie) Just a reminder that there is still time in the early bird round.  Sorry this was not clear.

The early bird deadline passed but I decided to make some extra units for the early bird round and keep accepting orders until stock runs out, then orders will be fulfilled in the final round after supply runs out (I'll put up a note on the web site when that happens).  But I would recommend ordering soon just so you don't have to wait an extra few months when I gather the final round orders.

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #317 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 07:19:19 »
What's the current state of the keycaps?
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline nothing4me

« Reply #318 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 14:22:31 »
Can't decide between the normal case and the compact case... will we get pictures of it soon? The CAD pics on the site don't help too much.  :(

And open until November... nice! Maybe someone can upload pictures of their compact case?  :D

Offline geniekid

« Reply #319 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 15:35:44 »
Can't decide between the normal case and the compact case... will we get pictures of it soon? The CAD pics on the site don't help too much.  :(

And open until November... nice! Maybe someone can upload pictures of their compact case?  :D

Me neither.  The collector side of me (the evil side I'm always trying to suppress) wants the OG case but the hobbyist side of me (the good side I'm always trying to nurture) wants the compact case.  :-\

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #320 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 17:25:28 »
I am going with the keycap mold production Ludovician.

nothing4me we will not be getting any compact case photos soon unfortunately.  I am focused on production of the original case keyboards but hope to get the ultra compact cases in the coming months (hopefully with or soon after the early bird shipment).  My goal for the ultra compact cases is a regular CNC milled aluminum custom keyboard case similar in appearance to the KMAC Mini or the like.

Some people are ordering just the spare ultra compact case (includes the ultra compact bottom inner assembly) if they can't decide between the cases and don't want to order extra full keyboards.  All other parts are expected to be interchangeable.

Offline nothing4me

« Reply #321 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 12:31:09 »
I am going with the keycap mold production Ludovician.

nothing4me we will not be getting any compact case photos soon unfortunately.  I am focused on production of the original case keyboards but hope to get the ultra compact cases in the coming months (hopefully with or soon after the early bird shipment).  My goal for the ultra compact cases is a regular CNC milled aluminum custom keyboard case similar in appearance to the KMAC Mini or the like.

Some people are ordering just the spare ultra compact case (includes the ultra compact bottom inner assembly) if they can't decide between the cases and don't want to order extra full keyboards.  All other parts are expected to be interchangeable.
Do you think we'll have photos of the compact case by November? I can wait until then. Thank you! :)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #322 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 22:04:22 »
I am focused on production of the original case keyboards but hope to get the ultra compact cases in the coming months (hopefully with or soon after the early bird shipment).  My goal for the ultra compact cases is a regular CNC milled aluminum custom keyboard case similar in appearance to the KMAC Mini or the like.

Glad you are concentrating upon the TRUE Model-F believers instead of pleasing the Ultra Compact Crowd - FIRST  ;D .

Remember we are the first ones who jumped on into this Group Buy because we truly love the original style of the Model-F series.  All the later ones wanting HHKB styled keyboards, in truth should be ignored because they are not real keyboard enthusiasts like us here.  We don't want our Model-Fs looking like Cherry's, Realforce or HHKBs whatsoever.  All we want is an updated, true to form Model-F that shall last 100 years of use.

Accept the beauty as is because that is what the Model-F represents in all it's natural glory, a very sexy keyboard built for the authentic, keyboard zealot.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 June 2016, 22:07:49 by Elrick »

Offline Colnor

« Reply #323 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 15:57:56 »
Hello all. I made my way to the forum while googling for a Model F122 and have spent the last few days reading these discussion threads. I am putting the F122 on the backburner and the F77 goes right to the top. I know the schedule has been stretched, but does the current June 30th deadline refer to the early-bird orders? And that there will be a second chance sign-up through November?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #324 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 15:08:04 »
Great Colnor!  Yes the original June 30 deadline has been extended most likely through the end of November.  The early bird round is ongoing (I made some extra units and orders will ship with the early bird round even if you order this month or next month, while supplies last) and then there will be a final round.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #325 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 19:58:57 »
Thanks for extended deadline. More time to sell off crap so I can buy something that matters.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #326 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 19:36:25 »
ThoughtArtist you are not the only one - quite a few people I've been chatting with are selling off some of their keyboards and other things for these Brand New Model F reproductions.

Does anyone have experience with product marketing and want to support the project?  I could definitely use some help/advice to get as many of these units made as possible before the end of the final round.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #327 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 19:35:13 »
Die cast metal case molds should be finished this week!  Here are some photos from the factory:

140400-0
140402-1
140404-2
140406-3
140408-4
140410-5
140412-6
140414-7

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #328 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 20:08:50 »
OMG NSFW!!!

Offline nothing4me

« Reply #329 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 23:47:20 »
Die cast metal case molds should be finished this week!  Here are some photos from the factory:
:p This dirty ***** is going to be popping model Fs left and right.  :p

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #330 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 19:46:28 »
I wonder how much these molds weigh - they must be 100+ pounds I would think?

Offline raymogi

« Reply #331 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 19:47:08 »
I want mine to get shipped already :D
Please feed my addiction.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #332 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 20:00:44 »
I bet, that second to last photo has a huge chunk of metal in it!!!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #333 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 21:28:08 »

Depends upon the material being flushed into it to form a case.  If it's molten metal then the casing has to be special hardened steel so as to absorb the temps correctly and form the necessary structure whilst it cools.

When it spits out the casing it readies for the next formation.  Usually molds such as this have a limited lifespan compared to plastic injection, which can shoot out millions+.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #334 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 21:20:12 »
ThoughtArtist you are not the only one - quite a few people I've been chatting with are selling off some of their keyboards and other things for these Brand New Model F reproductions.

Does anyone have experience with product marketing and want to support the project?  I could definitely use some help/advice to get as many of these units made as possible before the end of the final round.

Try to get ArsTechnica to do a story on this.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #335 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 11:02:39 »
A general update for those who have not been following the thread too closely:  There are over 200 keyboard orders (over $105,000 in orders) so far for the early bird round.

The thousands of barrels and flippers finished production (photos posted earlier in the thread). The die cast metal case mold photos were posted a few days ago (the cases are expected to go into production this week). There were significant production delays on the factory's side on the die cast molds which put the project behind schedule.

I am extending the deadline to give time for early bird feedback before the final round closes (at least 1-2 months) so that you can hear others' opinions before making a decision if you'd like.

Offline nothing4me

« Reply #336 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 01:22:07 »
Thanks!  ;)

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #337 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 11:06:30 »
The very first die cast F62 and F77 cases have been cast!  This week they will be powdercoated and mailed to me for approval. 

Offline joey

« Reply #338 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 11:07:35 »
Pics when they arrive!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #339 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 20:00:48 »
The very first die cast F62 and F77 cases have been cast!  This week they will be powdercoated and mailed to me for approval.

:o :o :o  It's Happening......bringing back the Model-F keyboard in it's ORIGINAL Design, what perfection.  :o :o :o

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #340 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 20:33:14 »

:o :o :o  It's Happening......bringing back the Model-F keyboard in it's ORIGINAL Design, what perfection.  :o :o :o

The original design is robust, and I appreciate that, but I think the compact aluminum in HHKB layout is going to really be the showstopper here.

Offline axtran

« Reply #341 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 22:57:00 »
The original design is robust, and I appreciate that, but I think the compact aluminum in HHKB layout is going to really be the showstopper here.

Yeah, I'm tempted to swap to the smaller case and just wait-wait-wait, but there's something super nice about the big ass bezel of the kish, too :)
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #342 on: Tue, 05 July 2016, 00:01:34 »

Yeah, I'm tempted to swap to the smaller case and just wait-wait-wait, but there's something super nice about the big ass bezel of the kish, too :)
I'm tempted to get both cases and Swap the innards from one to the other every now and then.

I just remembered something, I don't know if it was already answered, but will the package be declared for full price for international orders or will it be a little less? For something this expensive I wouldn't mind paying a little VAT, but 19% on the full price (they even add the delivery price) is quite much. I'll wait with my order until I've seen the first ultra compact prototype and I hope the question will be answered until then, if not I'll just add the way I'd prefer it to be declared as in the order comments.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #343 on: Tue, 05 July 2016, 22:24:05 »
but I think the compact aluminum in HHKB layout is going to really be the showstopper here.

Sorry SUNSHINE it won't be the show stopper here within this Reality  8) .

The F77 is STILL the absolute Keyboard of PERFECTION and the sooner you lamo's can come to terms with that, the better you'll feel about yourself for choosing the horrid HHKB disaster.

Bursting the bubble of some people who are completely deluded, is both a thrill and quite sad because eventually when they face the real world it's not always going to agree with them on their failed-choice  ;) .

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #344 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 17:38:03 »

Yeah, actually I think I am going to just get the F-77 full-size case in ANSI layout, I just wanted to see what Elrick would say to that.. " Sunshine" LOL.

But... I believe if I were going to tote the board with me, then I would get an aluminum case just for practical reasons if nothing else. Having both to swap would be cool though. I think this will mainly be a special use home-board for me so I'll probably just get the zinc-alloy diecast. I pretty much have to choose just one, so it's going to be the classic one, but I would like to get 1 of each option!
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 July 2016, 17:42:27 by ThoughtArtist »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #345 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 21:27:54 »
yep ThoughtArtist you can order one keyboard of each type of case :), or you can save funds and order just a spare ultra compact case which includes the bottom inner assembly - the rest of the parts are all interchangeable between cases.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #346 on: Sun, 10 July 2016, 22:07:53 »
The very first die cast Model F keyboard cases to come out of the Brand New Model F metal molds, with no secondary finishing operations or powdercoating done yet:

The factory did a good job with these.  My first few months working on this project last year, I didn't know that the die cast metal parts came out "rough" out of a mold, lines and marks and all, and then had to be fixed up.

141896-0
141898-1
141900-2
141902-3
141904-4
141906-5

Offline joey

« Reply #347 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 03:51:28 »
 :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Offline potatowire

« Reply #348 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 14:34:36 »
The very first die cast Model F keyboard cases to come out of the Brand New Model F metal molds, with no secondary finishing operations or powdercoating done yet:

The factory did a good job with these.  My first few months working on this project last year, I didn't know that the die cast metal parts came out "rough" out of a mold, lines and marks and all, and then had to be fixed up.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Beautiful!

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #349 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 17:33:29 »
I haven't been on much but glad to see this is going as planned. ;)