Author Topic: [GB] Duck TC-V3 Kustom Keyboard  (Read 143330 times)

Offline martink

Re: [GB] Duck TC-V3 Kustom Keyboard
« Reply #350 on: Thu, 07 March 2019, 02:43:42 »
I've tried in vain to get the plate file for this kit.  If anyone has one, or has reverse-engineered their own, please PM me.  I'd like to get a brass plate made.

Message me if you get the plate file. I would like to make a carbon-fiber plate.

I’ve had zero luck despite several attempts unfortunately.

I'm almost done redrawing the plate. Still need to add the holes/slots for the mounting screws, round off the outer corners and simplify stabilizer cutouts. And do a cheap test cut in acrylic or something (unless one of you can do a test cut quickly).

What kind of layout do you need? I'm personally going ANSI, split backspace and right shift, 1.5/1/1.5/6/1.5/1/1.5 bottom row, probably both kinds of caps lock, all 1u macro keys.

214561-0

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #351 on: Thu, 07 March 2019, 03:37:14 »

I'm almost done redrawing the plate. Still need to add the holes/slots for the mounting screws, round off the outer corners and simplify stabilizer cutouts. And do a cheap test cut in acrylic or something (unless one of you can do a test cut quickly).

What kind of layout do you need? I'm personally going ANSI, split backspace and right shift, 1.5/1/1.5/6/1.5/1/1.5 bottom row, probably both kinds of caps lock, all 1u macro keys.

Cool. Did you draw it with swillkb builder?

I prefer to 6.25u or 7u spacebar because it's much easier to get the keycap(especially SA). Could you draw an universal plate to be compatible with all spacebar sizes?

Offline martink

« Reply #352 on: Thu, 07 March 2019, 05:02:44 »
Cool. Did you draw it with swillkb builder?

Partially. The switch cutouts are from swillkb builder. Using 0.15mm (IIRC) edge padding as the only customization. For the outline and additional cutouts, I put an original plate on a scanner, aligned it with the generated DXF and traced the outline manually in Fusion.

I prefer to 6.25u or 7u spacebar because it's much easier to get the keycap(especially SA). Could you draw an universal plate to be compatible with all spacebar sizes?

Sure, no problem. I'll make sure the bottom row matches the original plate.

6u can be a pain, I had to delay my build for a while when I learned (the hard way) that the 6u stab wire I had from an G80 1800 (with the extra bends) wouldn't work with a plate.

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #353 on: Thu, 07 March 2019, 05:28:06 »
Sure, no problem. I'll make sure the bottom row matches the original plate.

6u can be a pain, I had to delay my build for a while when I learned (the hard way) that the 6u stab wire I had from an G80 1800 (with the extra bends) wouldn't work with a plate.

Yeah, It's painful to use 6u. I suggest using OEM center stem 6u spacebar if you insist 6u. It's more popular then offset stem 6u these days on GMK keysets, but some tooling only has offset stem 6u, like epbt. But you still could buy the wire somewhere to match it, very few choice though. Or costar stab.

Offline martink

« Reply #354 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 02:38:46 »
I did insist on 6u for this board and got a wire (kbdfans has them) ;D

214676-0

Don't know if I chose offset stem because of the PCB or because of the keycaps.

[No progress on the plate file.]

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.
« Reply #355 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 12:46:12 »
I did insist on 6u for this board and got a wire (kbdfans has them) ;D

(Attachment Link)

Don't know if I chose offset stem because of the PCB or because of the keycaps.

[No progress on the plate file.]

If you don't mind me asking, where are those relegendables from?

Offline martink

« Reply #356 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 13:48:37 »
If you don't mind me asking, where are those relegendables from?

I got them from an OG Skidata keyboard (from the ebay.de seller that sells them from time to time). The 1997 Cherry and 2017 GMK colors are a pretty good match.

Looks like the Skiidata GB starting next week will also have a relegendables kit (though most keys there are going to have orange front-printing).

Offline razor_blade

« Reply #357 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 14:42:13 »
So I know mechmerlin has a board, any word on how the QMK port is going? It's the only reason this isn't my daily driver.

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #358 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 23:21:03 »
So I know mechmerlin has a board, any word on how the QMK port is going? It's the only reason this isn't my daily driver.

I asked merlin when he will do the qmk port for this keyboard, he replied "soon".

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #359 on: Thu, 14 March 2019, 12:33:29 »

Curious: What are you looking to do with QMK that you can't do out of the box to enable it to be your daily driver?

Offline razor_blade

« Reply #360 on: Thu, 14 March 2019, 12:41:22 »

Curious: What are you looking to do with QMK that you can't do out of the box to enable it to be your daily driver?

Have a backlight setting that isn't on highbeam all of the time. Tapdance, modpresses, etc.

Offline dc_in_sf

• Old Bastard
« Reply #361 on: Thu, 14 March 2019, 13:37:17 »

Have a backlight setting that isn't on highbeam all of the time. Tapdance, modpresses, etc.

I'm a huge fan of tap/hold functionality, and it's main reason all of my boards run QMK - except the TC-V3 so definitely hoping QMK gets ported.

Offline nevaenuf

« Reply #362 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 21:57:08 »
Does anyone understand the led cluster above the right arrow key.  There are 6 leds.  What do they map to?

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #363 on: Thu, 18 April 2019, 08:44:13 »
Does anyone understand the led cluster above the right arrow key.  There are 6 leds.  What do they map to?

Layers. On base layer the top and middle row left LEDs are lit (not sure if that’s supposed to be like that or not). I currently only have one extra layer programmed, but when I hold down the key to change to that layer the top row of 3 all light up. Haven’t had time to play around with the board much yet, so I haven’t added any extra layers to play with to see how the lights work (like what lights up for what layer).

Offline nevaenuf

« Reply #364 on: Fri, 19 April 2019, 01:35:21 »

Layers. On base layer the top and middle row left LEDs are lit (not sure if that’s supposed to be like that or not). I currently only have one extra layer programmed, but when I hold down the key to change to that layer the top row of 3 all light up. Haven’t had time to play around with the board much yet, so I haven’t added any extra layers to play with to see how the lights work (like what lights up for what layer).

Thanks.  I just go this put together tonight.  The layer leds are kinda wonky.  I've pretty much got to redo mine.  But they work.

Offline lzlzh035

« Reply #365 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 06:41:01 »
Anyone know  how to program this board? Just put it together but had no idea how to map it

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #366 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 09:49:42 »
Anyone know  how to program this board? Just put it together but had no idea how to map it

O2D. You can get the latest O2D software from this post https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=95335.msg2696393#msg2696393

Past that, you'll have to do some research to find guides and information on how to use it.

Offline lzlzh035

« Reply #367 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 05:56:13 »
Any links to the latest firmware?

Further up in the thread is a link to the latest O2D for the TC-V3.

Thanks.

And I found this on github
https://gist.github.com/ankailou/0b3f3183429536d86ecf4e7d27860b6c

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #368 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 10:51:04 »

Thanks.

The only real issue I had was saving the hex file. It would constantly fail and error out when trying to save, no matter what name I gave the file. I didn’t see it discussed in that guide you linked, but found mention of it in another guide/discussion, was that you need to go into the directory where O2D is and create a new txt file, rename it to whatever you want to call your hex, and change the extension from .txt to .hex. After that the file will show up when saving and allow you to overwrite it, giving you a working hex save file.

Offline lzlzh035

« Reply #369 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 19:14:15 »

Thanks.

The only real issue I had was saving the hex file. It would constantly fail and error out when trying to save, no matter what name I gave the file. I didn’t see it discussed in that guide you linked, but found mention of it in another guide/discussion, was that you need to go into the directory where O2D is and create a new txt file, rename it to whatever you want to call your hex, and change the extension from .txt to .hex. After that the file will show up when saving and allow you to overwrite it, giving you a working hex save file.

I had that issue too until I changed that sys language to Korean as mentioned in the tutorial. It's a bit ridiculous for a board being sold internationally. But at least it works...

Offline razor_blade

« Reply #370 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 19:30:22 »
Any progress on the QMK port mechmerlin?

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #371 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 23:11:37 »
Any progress on the QMK port mechmerlin?

He’s said he’s still working on it. I asked him about it during one of his recent build streams, you can catch his answer here:  https://www.twitch.tv/videos/414011590?t=7757s

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #372 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 07:45:11 »

Thanks.

I had that issue too until I changed that sys language to Korean as mentioned in the tutorial. It's a bit ridiculous for a board being sold internationally. But at least it works...

When I used O2D I was able to flash successfully without changing language.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #373 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 09:03:04 »

Thanks.

When I used O2D I was able to flash successfully without changing language.

Yeah I never had any problems flashing without changing the language, just saving a hex file, but the workaround was easy enough.

Offline Capsy

« Reply #374 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 23:17:28 »
Hi,
Can anyone help me out with the LEDs and underglow RGB controls? I just got this board and the underglow was working. I flashed a new hex file using O2D and it was still working but then all of a sudden, the RGB Mode function in the layer does nothing and the underglow does not light up.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Offline slayer12

« Reply #375 on: Sat, 17 August 2019, 11:13:09 »
I have assembled the keyboard using Snow-Pro ALPS-TKL pcb and I'm struggling with keymap.
I tried both Snow Tool and O2D tool to connect to the board without success.

I thought that I do not have the correct driver installed.
Could anyone help me with this.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #376 on: Sat, 17 August 2019, 16:56:39 »
I have assembled the keyboard using Snow-Pro ALPS-TKL pcb and I'm struggling with keymap.

describe your issue in more detail please

but if it's a snow pcb it uses snowtools
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline dc_in_sf

• Old Bastard
« Reply #377 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 11:25:00 »

How do you even get a TKL pcb to fit in this case with the funky layout?  :eek:

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #378 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 12:50:46 »

How do you even get a TKL pcb to fit in this case with the funky layout?  :eek:

I wondered the same thing. Maybe it was meant for the Orion V3 thread.

Offline goddream

« Reply #379 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 20:40:00 »
is Duck ever going to rerun this board/a variant of it? One of my dream layouts
Rei XT-60 | Endash | KHDD | Jinsoul | Tengu | PC Dolphin | Nunu | Hyphen | Mc65 | Unikorn | Dahyun | CARDBORD

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #380 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 20:54:33 »
is Duck ever going to rerun this board/a variant of it? One of my dream layouts
I wonder what Duck's take on an ergoboard would be like

Offline lootbag

« Reply #381 on: Sat, 28 December 2019, 20:32:14 »
Anyone have the CAD plate file for the TC-V3? I want to make a plate for myself but haven't had any luck asking around.

Offline cirrus82

« Reply #382 on: Sat, 13 June 2020, 16:51:34 »
Ditto, would love the plate file...

Offline dc_in_sf

• Old Bastard
« Reply #383 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 12:21:09 »
I noticed that mechmerlin got the TC-V3 port into QMK, has anyone has any success with that?

If I compile any of the supplied keymaps and flash I end up with a dead board (no output from keypresses).

Thankfully I can roll it back to default firmware ok, but would love to get QMK working on it.

Offline razor_blade

« Reply #384 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 13:00:48 »
I noticed that mechmerlin got the TC-V3 port into QMK, has anyone has any success with that?

If I compile any of the supplied keymaps and flash I end up with a dead board (no output from keypresses).

Thankfully I can roll it back to default firmware ok, but would love to get QMK working on it.

Same.

Offline dc_in_sf

• Old Bastard
« Reply #385 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 15:13:58 »

Same.

Just FYI mechmerlin identified the issue on the QMK discord and indicated it is a problem with the matrix.c file. You need to grab  this one from an earlier commit for the moment. Is currently working for me but I have not tried anything other than flashing the default map.

Offline jizzlejosh808

« Reply #386 on: Thu, 14 April 2022, 14:30:04 »
Has anyone found or created a plate file for the Duck TCV3, 

Would like to be able to get this plate in fr4.

Offline layzen

« Reply #387 on: Fri, 26 August 2022, 07:57:31 »
Does anyone have a plate file for tc-v3 plates?
If you don't mind, please send me one email
I want to make a new plate.