Author Topic: [GB] Round 1: CA66 Custom Keyboard Kit (CLOSED)  (Read 235741 times)

Offline donut_sauce

Here's my purple ca66 with Pristine (eventually either Phantom or Taro when they show up). Tried a bunch of different plate /switch combos- navies, ergo clears, alu plates, brass plates, etc.. and ended up settling with lubed switch filmed gat blacks on brass with sound dampening foam inside.

198114-0
198122-1
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 June 2018, 09:53:11 by donut_sauce »

Offline Lormania

Looks amazing donut_sauce!!! If I got in on the GB it would be for the purple. Hoping the extras exist!

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
Here's my purple ca66 with Pristine (eventually either Phantom or Taro when they show up). Tried a bunch of different plate /switch combos- navies, ergo clears, alu plates, brass plates, etc.. and ended up settling with lubed switch filmed gat blacks on brass with sound dampening foam inside.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Woooo you inspired me a new set up. Nice! :thumb:

Offline breckstar

Updated SA Hyperfuse after fix-kit GB:

Offline ringzero

^ That Hyperfuse is amazing.

@play_keyboard: I screwed up my PCB (wanted to change switches, so I desoldered, and I think I must have damaged a line - though I can't see where), and some keys no longer work :(. Rest of board seems fine, LED animation plays etc. Are there any options? Can I buy another PCB, or maybe buy the file to get a new one made?

Offline donut_sauce

@play_keyboard: I screwed up my PCB (wanted to change switches, so I desoldered, and I think I must have damaged a line - though I can't see where), and some keys no longer work :(. Rest of board seems fine, LED animation plays etc. Are there any options? Can I buy another PCB, or maybe buy the file to get a new one made?
You can probably just bridge the bad pads on the pcb.

Offline ringzero

That makes sense, but I don't see what looks like damage from visual inspection on most of the board (I can see what looks like a probable cause for one key, but not the others, which aren't closeby).

Offline pmsingchicken

Just built my CA66 and for the life of me I can not get it into bootloader mode. I've tried different cables and computers. You just hold down Escape while plugging it in right?

Offline broden

Just built my CA66 and for the life of me I can not get it into bootloader mode. I've tried different cables and computers. You just hold down Escape while plugging it in right?
I had to change ports a couple of times, but yes plugging in via ESC should work. LED strip should turn all white when in DFU mode (ready to flash)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wowremy

ended up settling with lubed switch filmed gat blacks
I was thinking of building mine with BOX Blacks for stability with SA caps :)

Offline donut_sauce

ended up settling with lubed switch filmed gat blacks
I was thinking of building mine with BOX Blacks for stability with SA caps :)
That sounds like a fine choice :thumb:

Offline Vizir

dammit. missed this GB. any plans of bringing it back?

Offline sysfury

I'm getting closer to starting soldering. I haven't built a keyboard before. I haven't soldered in 30 years.

Does this solder point look OK? Both my PCBs look like this. I think it's for the \| key. Will I be able to make this work?

Offline donut_sauce

I'm getting closer to starting soldering. I haven't built a keyboard before. I haven't soldered in 30 years.

Does this solder point look OK? Both my PCBs look like this. I think it's for the \| key. Will I be able to make this work?
Yeah that’s how is supposed to look. You can test out your pcb before soldering by plugging it in and testing each set of switch pads using a set of tweezers

Offline sysfury

Yeah that’s how is supposed to look. You can test out your pcb before soldering by plugging it in and testing each set of switch pads using a set of tweezers
I tested with tweezers from the top side, and everything works. I'm just worried about soldering this switch when there is no visible pad on the bottom side. Will I have to do something different with pads like this?

Offline donut_sauce

I tested with tweezers from the top side, and everything works. I'm just worried about soldering this switch when there is no visible pad on the bottom side. Will I have to do something different with pads like this?
The pad is there, it’s just not a full circle.

Offline pmsingchicken

I had to change ports a couple of times, but yes plugging in via ESC should work. LED strip should turn all white when in DFU mode (ready to flash)

Thanks for the help. I was finally able to get it into bootloader by jumping reset and vcc on the back of the board itself.

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
Updated SA Hyperfuse after fix-kit GB:

Show Image

Another dream purple set combo. :p

That makes sense, but I don't see what looks like damage from visual inspection on most of the board (I can see what looks like a probable cause for one key, but not the others, which aren't closeby).

Was your problem been solved?

Yes. ;D

The pad is there, it’s just not a full circle.

Yes, try to extend solder and connect pad and switch pin. It should work fine. :thumb:

Thanks for the help. I was finally able to get it into bootloader by jumping reset and vcc on the back of the board itself.

How's it going right now?

Offline donut_sauce

Thanks again, PlayKeyboardTW. This has been an amazingly smooth GB with constant update and communication. I love that you are still checking in on everyone and making sure we’re all happy!

An amazing GB runner and I’m so excited to see what y’all will be running next:) (teasers?)

Offline ringzero

Was your problem been solved?

+1 to this being an amazing GB! No, haven't managed to solve it just yet :(

Offline driftingbunnies

man, so sad i missed out. How much longer must i wait?! :(

Offline Daellin

SA Oblivion finally arrived!

Unfortunately I only put it on for show, because the CA66 PCB recently bricked (no lights pop up, nothing works) and honestly I feel broken and unsure of what to do...

Offline dc_in_sf

• Old Bastard
Jealous, mine is still in transit

Offline Vizir

Yes. ;D

Any estimate when? I need this!

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop

Show Image

Unfortunately I only put it on for show, because the CA66 PCB recently bricked (no lights pop up, nothing works) and honestly I feel broken and unsure of what to do...

Have you tried it on other PCs to see if it works?

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.

Show Image

Is it possible to buy another PCB? I forgot to get a second pcb and have an extra plate from my original order. I'd love to build a second PCB plate and have something else to drop into the case.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline mudcakehoney

Taking a long shot but need to buy an extra plate and pcb, are there any available or someone willing to sell their extras? Thanks

Offline Bael_Zharon

Taking a long shot but need to buy an extra plate and pcb, are there any available or someone willing to sell their extras? Thanks
Pretty sure I have an extra plate.

Offline mudcakehoney

Pretty sure I have an extra plate.

PM’d

Offline Daellin

Show Image

Yes, it broke at work and when I went home to try on my PC nothing would work either.

Tried reflashing but it won't recognize the device at all.

Offline riktors

Show Image

Yes, it broke at work and when I went home to try on my PC nothing would work either.

Having a similar issue myself. Board was plugged in and sitting there and the lights went all white randomly like it is in bootloader mode. After that I can't get it to recognize to reflash. Tried multiple cables, windows box, mac box and even checked on my linux box just to see if it even shows up but nothing. If I open it up and bridge the reset and ground it will reset but still doesn't come up as a flashable device. Don't really know where to go from here. I guess the pcb died though I have no idea why it would have. Wasn't even touching it when it happened.

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop

Show Image

Show Image

Having a similar issue myself. Board was plugged in and sitting there and the lights went all white randomly like it is in bootloader mode. After that I can't get it to recognize to reflash. Tried multiple cables, windows box, mac box and even checked on my linux box just to see if it even shows up but nothing. If I open it up and bridge the reset and ground it will reset but still doesn't come up as a flashable device. Don't really know where to go from here. I guess the pcb died though I have no idea why it would have. Wasn't even touching it when it happened.

Guys, please send me a pm for letting me know your invoice numbers.
We'll send you a spare one each to see if it works. :thumb:

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop

Show Image

Is it possible to buy another PCB? I forgot to get a second pcb and have an extra plate from my original order. I'd love to build a second PCB plate and have something else to drop into the case.

Yes, after a month for my mate to settle down his new born daughter.
He'll be available to do delivery stuff. ;D

Offline riktors

Show Image

Show Image

Guys, please send me a pm for letting me know your invoice numbers.
We'll send you a spare one each to see if it works. :thumb:

PM sent, really appreciate it!

Offline donut_sauce

That's odd. Were you using screw In stabs? Wondering if it's a shorting issue.

Offline riktors

I do have screw in stabs. Removing them doesn't seem to solve the problem at this point. Curious if that could have anything to do with it going bad in the first place? It would definitely be a first for me, had several boards with them previously without issue.

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop

I do have screw in stabs. Removing them doesn't seem to solve the problem at this point. Curious if that could have anything to do with it going bad in the first place? It would definitely be a first for me, had several boards with them previously without issue.

Yes it does have a chance to short if the screw contact PCB pads. I myself put screws in plastic firm rings to avoid contacts.

Offline riktors

I'll definitely do that on the replacement one just to be safe!

Yes it does have a chance to short if the screw contact PCB pads. I myself put screws in plastic firm rings to avoid contacts.

Offline donut_sauce

It really varies from PCB to PCB. In general the more layouts a PCB offers, the more often your stabilizers will need insulation between the stabilizers screws and PCB pads.

On this specific PCB for this keyboard all the stabilizers - Left Shift, Spacebar, Enter, Backspace - would require some sort of insulator between the pad and the screw. Personally I just use electrical tape but a lot of people use plastic washers.

Offline Bael_Zharon

Show Image

Do you all remember what machine you were using when it happened? I don't know if you've been following, but apparently MacBooks can cause issues:

So, my CA66 is having a strange issue. I was using it with my work Macbook Pro, and it was fine for hours, but then I woke the laptop from sleep mode. The LEDs turned white, and the keyboard is no longer working. I unplugged and replugged it, which didn't work. I have tried reflashing it but it will not enter bootloader mode. The LEDs come on but are solid white. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

Final update: Looks like the culprit is likely my Macbook Pro at work. It's one of the new USB-C only versions, and people are reporting that these are frying peripherals due to weird power surges in the ports. https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16971052

I've messaged PlayKeyboardTW and hopefully there are extra PCBs available, because I do like having a backup. Be careful where you're plugging in your keyboards apparently!

So your PC doesn't recognize the board when you plug it in at all? If it DOES recognize it, try resetting eeprom first, then re-flashing.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 June 2018, 09:23:37 by Bael_Zharon »

Offline Bael_Zharon

Edited above message with all relevant findings
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 June 2018, 09:20:20 by Bael_Zharon »

Offline riktors

Show Image

Do you all remember what machine you were using when it happened? I don't know if you've been following, but apparently MacBooks can cause issues:

So, my CA66 is having a strange issue. I was using it with my work Macbook Pro, and it was fine for hours, but then I woke the laptop from sleep mode. The LEDs turned white, and the keyboard is no longer working. I unplugged and replugged it, which didn't work. I have tried reflashing it but it will not enter bootloader mode. The LEDs come on but are solid white. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

Final update: Looks like the culprit is likely my Macbook Pro at work. It's one of the new USB-C only versions, and people are reporting that these are frying peripherals due to weird power surges in the ports. https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16971052

I've messaged PlayKeyboardTW and hopefully there are extra PCBs available, because I do like having a backup. Be careful where you're plugging in your keyboards apparently!

So your PC doesn't recognize the board when you plug it in at all? If it DOES recognize it, try resetting eeprom first, then re-flashing.

It was on a dell xps 15 so not related to the macbook issue. How would I go about resetting the eeprom?

Offline Daellin

Show Image

Hate to say this, but I'm glad I'm not alone in this.

Yes my keyboard used screw-in stabs. I only used one - one on the right-spacebar of a split space layout. Everything else was a normal stab.

I was connected to a Windows 8 machine, to which I went to the bathroom, only to come back and find the lights were weird. It was originally on the RGB setting, but when I came back, it was this weird green. I unplugged and replugged it only to find it suddenly broke.

I had dampening foam (neoprene) in the keyboard case. I think that's all the details I can really give. Sending you a PM, PlayKeyboard.

Offline child

When doing some really weird stuff with my split space (don't even ask) I think I managed to break the stabilizer, because when I move stab inserts manually the wire doesn't move (neither does the other insert). Is it possible to replace it without desoldering the whole board?

Offline dc_in_sf

• Old Bastard
Oblivion finally arrived, so I have SA profile keys finally for the CA66, definitely a good fit!

Offline Haaaaaandrew

I am having similar issues with my pcb. It was working fine one day but when I plugged it into a different computer, it didn't work and couldn't be reflashed. I didn't notice any odd led behavior, was used on a Win10 tower and moved to a Win10 laptop when it stopped working. :(

Offline Chigorin

any update on a possible Bluetooth PCB gb?

Offline goku12

Don’t forget the hot swap sockets! =)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"

the case is alu it probably wouldn't work
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline dc_in_sf

• Old Bastard

the case is alu it probably wouldn't work

I thought there was already a bt pcb developed that uses a carbon fiber plate to allow the signal out?