Author Topic: Mama_Fry  (Read 113794 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Mama_Fry
« on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 00:22:55 »
Things I liked,
5) Meeting the Walter family.

His mom posted about being at Keycon.  http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/natewalter
Here is the quote from the link above.  Thank you for your sentiments Mama_Fry.  It means a lot to us.

Seeing into my son's world

Yesterday and today, we spent time with a bunch of people from the Geekhack community....it's a group of people who love keyboards the way Nathan did. I found myself listening to people talk about keyboards with the enthusiasm Nathan always had for these things, and while I didn't understand most of what they were talking about, I heard the spirit of my son in what they said. It made me emotional to hear their words because in them I heard the things I had not wanted to listen to when Nathan was here. I so wish I had paid more attention....not that I will ever understand what they are talking about or be interested in what they like, but to hear the spirit of my son is so beautiful, such a gift.
       Some of these folks came to the house today to see Nathan's keyboard collection and tell us about it. They continued to talk about his contributions to their world and how he continues to add to new members. People still want to know him. This is all such a mystery to me that people who never met my son in the flesh could have such love and passion for him. This type of love is true, rich faith.
         I thank them for their friendship because in that friendship, my son truly found a place that he could feel good, feel at home. I'm so pleased that he found this place! And while I would have loved him to have completed more homework and less Geekhack posts, I will always be thankful to Geekhack for their place in my son's life!

Eternally blessed,

Mama Fry 
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Mama_Fry
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 00:29:16 »
+1

That was a very touching post, and I can't think of anything to add right now.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 00:33:46 »
She was hanging out in IRC earlier as well.  Seems like she enjoyed chatting with everyone too :).
GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 00:37:42 »
I think we need to do a GB for the "Friends and Family" cap and get the Walters family a mechanical keyboard in Small_Fry's switch of choice.

My suggestions for the cap would be have options for the legend in the 1.25, 1.5 modifier sizes, Backspace key in all stem types so nobody is left out because of preference on switch.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 02:21:19 »
And get them the Smallfry set upon release too! :)
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 06:36:27 »
I'm glad they were able to relay how much of an impact he's made on this community, because even just being here a couple months, it's clear that this place is devastated without him. I hope we can continue to be in contact with them in the future, if only to impress the fact that SmallFry is still a part of this community, his helpful posts are still helping new members (like me!) and his words are no less potent with him gone. I'm so glad that his parents had the thought to contact GH at all, and it makes me look back at other communities, and members who have simply disappeared. I'm always a little upset when someone just drops a conversation, or doesn't respond when we're working out a trade, but this whole experience has brought it all to a new light and I doubt I'll ever look at online communities the same way.

As has been said for so many other things, it's difficult to remember sometimes that there's somebody else on the other side, reading your words. The relative anonymity usually allowing us an anger without fear of recompense. But now the phrase, someone on the other side, means something entirely new to me, and reminds me of the fragility of the world we live in.
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 07:42:09 »
1) I think we need to do a GB for the "Friends and Family" cap
2) Get the Walters family a mechanical keyboard in Small_Fry's switch of choice.

1) Flynn has a ton of the F&F caps that he'll be distributing/selling later.
2) They have 8-10 really really nice keyboards including a Phantom and an Epsilon: The remainder of SmallFry's collection. I don't think they need anymore and they told me that they really didn't need anymore haha.

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 07:49:24 »
I still think we should get them a Smallfry set upon release and teach Mama_Fry how to change keycaps. :D

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 07:50:55 »
I still think we should get them a Smallfry set upon release and teach Mama_Fry how to change keycaps. :D

I'm sure if they would like one it would be given to them, I know mkawa will handle that.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 07:51:40 »
If they want then we can do that but at the house, I saw SO MANY CAPS. Soware...graphite....like ten sets of WYSE caps. I'm pretty sure I remember hearing Mama_Fry and the Walters say they don't need anymore keyboard stuff lol.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 08:05:34 »
If they want then we can do that but at the house, I saw SO MANY CAPS. Soware...graphite....like ten sets of WYSE caps. I'm pretty sure I remember hearing Mama_Fry and the Walters say they don't need anymore keyboard stuff lol.

Perhaps if/when they ever decide they have too much I'm sure we could have a charity auction of the items and give them the proceeds to do with as they wish.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 08:17:15 »
There is a plan in the works which I will explain in a post later this week.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 14:45:43 »

HEY! No more posting until you make moar keycaps!
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 14:50:01 »

Put that to vote with everyone else and see what they think. ;)

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 14:52:03 »

Put that to vote with everyone else and see what they think. ;)

I thought  that they looked pretty good before the images got broken.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 08:04:58 »
HUGE welcome to mem, paps, and baby fry!!!

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 08:21:25 »
Really touching to see the family connect with GH and those who knew Nate as SmallFry

Offline shrapneL

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 11:01:11 »
Wow... I didn't even get to know SmallFry being that I joined after he passed. But just reading the words from his mother brought tears to my eyes.
hello.

Offline LargeFry

• SmallFry's Father
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 16:14:29 »
This is SmallFry's Father.  I have been reading the forums over the past several weeks using SmallFry's account.  While at the event in Chicago, I learned that others can see who is online, and seeing SmallFry listed was disturbing to some.  I am sorry if that upset any of you and as a result I have created my own profile.

We truly enjoy hearing about how Nathan has impacted the group and how he continues to live in his old posts.  We miss our son deeply and find some connection to him through all of you at this site.  I am not sure we could ever adequately express our gratitude to all of you for accepting our son into your community and for the way you continue to honor his life in your posts and actions.  In any event, we will likely continue to lurk in these forums for a while and might even try to contribute from time to time.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you would like.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 August 2013, 16:26:19 by LargeFry »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 16:16:15 »
This is SmallFry's Father.  I have been reading the forums over the past several weeks using SmallFry's account.  While at the event in Chicago, I learned that others can see who is online, and seeing SmallFry listed was disturbing to some.  I am sorry if that upset any of you and as a result I have created my own profile.

We truly enjoy hearing about how Nathan has impacted the group and how he continues to live in his old posts.  We miss our son deeply and find some connection to him through all of you at this site.  I am not sure we could ever adequately express our gratitude to all of you for accepting our son into your community and for the way you continue to honor his life in your posts and action.  In any event, we will likely continue to lurk in these forums for a while and might even try to contribute from time to time.

Thank you so much for taking an interest here. I hope to see you around!

I didn't get to know Nate as well as some others here but he was always very friendly and helpful to me.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 August 2013, 16:20:55 by SpAmRaY »

Offline treble318

• * Vendor
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 16:17:09 »
God bless Small Fry, family, and friends...  although I personally never got to speak with him, after reading everyone's comments and the state of things just brings me to tears.   
Das Ultimate Silent w/browns + EK Firm Landing Pad
White Leopold Otaku w/reds + EK Firm Landing Pads on 50A O-ring Mod
Kbc Poker w/red + 50A O-ring Mod

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 17:10:52 »

We truly enjoy hearing about how Nathan has impacted the group and how he continues to live in his old posts.  We miss our son deeply and find some connection to him through all of you at this site.  I am not sure we could ever adequately express our gratitude to all of you for accepting our son into your community and for the way you continue to honor his life in your posts and actions.  In any event, we will likely continue to lurk in these forums for a while and might even try to contribute from time to time.

Welcome to Geekhack!

Hope you enjoy your stay :)

Seeing you and Mama_Fry posting here has helped me realise where SmallFry got much of his kindness and consideration from.  Thank you.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 17:52:33 »
@Mama_Fry is very nice to hear that GH brought some joy to you and your family. You may find that there is a little Nathan in each GeekHacker.
All the best for you and your family
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 04:02:01 »
It's really good to see how much SmallFry meant to this community and how much this community meant to SmallFry, and his family.

The reactio of this community has radically changed how I approach online communities and forums, and have realised that they are more than just online.

I wasn't here when SmallFry was present, but his posts remain unchanged wether he is with us or not, and are ever so helpful.

Offline Mama_Fry

• Mama's Coming for You All! HA!
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 11:25:34 »
Hey if someone is going to chat about Mama Fry, don't you think you should TELL her??? I would have commented sooner...lol. Love chatting with all of you....Am usually on the IRC nightly, and feel free to message me to ask questions or get to know Small Fry better. Thanks for your continued interest and support of our family!

Mama Fry
Mama

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 11:32:23 »
Hey if someone is going to chat about Mama Fry, don't you think you should TELL her??? I would have commented sooner...lol. Love chatting with all of you....Am usually on the IRC nightly, and feel free to message me to ask questions or get to know Small Fry better. Thanks for your continued interest and support of our family!

Mama Fry

Love the avatar ma'am.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 18:06:49 »
that post and that avatar!!! win!!!

welcome mama fry!! :D :D :D

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Mama_Fry

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 19:12:56 »
Again.....alert the ole BAT when you are talking about her....lol

Mama!
Mama

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 19:22:49 »
yes ma'am!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 21:24:56 »
^ Avatar is so appropriate Mama_Fry! :)

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 00:58:56 »
Love your avatar Mama_Fry
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 12:01:16 »
Ah man. Great to see you guys on the forums.
I love Elzy

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 06:25:57 »
Mama_Fry drops by IRC sometimes and makes sure that we all behave in there  ;)  Hope you like the avatar.

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 13:18:54 »
Mama_Fry has this outstanding ability to show in IRC right at the moment I'm irrationally angry about something. Sorry for all the foul talk in there, Mama_Fry! :D
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline Mama_Fry

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 21:17:02 »
Clearly the rules don't seem to be sinking in that when someone replies to something about Mama, somebody needs to let Mama know....I don't ever see these things....Clearly, I'm a little slow on the uptake here!

Mama
Mama

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 21:19:22 »
Clearly the rules don't seem to be sinking in that when someone replies to something about Mama, somebody needs to let Mama know....I don't ever see these things....Clearly, I'm a little slow on the uptake here!

Mama

You can always subscribe to this thread by clicking the "notify" button - then you will get an email each time someone posts something in the thread since your last visit.

Offline Mama_Fry

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 22:13:29 »
Thanks Rowdy.....at least someone keeps Mama in the loop!
Mama