Author Topic: [CTRL]ALT Blog  (Read 189624 times)

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
Re: [CTRL]ALT Blog
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 07:40:27 »
A bit late but here is this week's entry for the blog.  Come listen to Last and I talk about random **** that's somewhat related to keyboards or something.  I dunno.  Just check it out.

http://blog.ctrlalt.io/articles/interview-lastpilot
So i just finished listening to this and although it was kind of long i actually did really enjoy it! look forward to hearing more!
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #201 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 21:01:34 »
Okay, so I only counted three entrants into the second chance drawing - pwnnarwhal, R1N3, and TacticalStache.

1 - pwnnarwhal
2 - R1N3
3 - TacticalStache

Drum roll, please...

Congrats to the winner, pwnnarwhal! PM me your address, and I will get your new Hakko shipped out to you. :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline R1N3

« Reply #202 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 21:23:04 »
Haha grats dude! JD you're the man! Hope you had a good Christmas :)

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #203 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 18:06:57 »
Okay, so I only counted three entrants into the second chance drawing - pwnnarwhal, R1N3, and TacticalStache.

1 - pwnnarwhal
2 - R1N3
3 - TacticalStache

Drum roll, please...

Show Image

Congrats to the winner, pwnnarwhal! PM me your address, and I will get your new Hakko shipped out to you. :D

:D I never win anything, even cap chances that are still paid, THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #204 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 23:22:59 »
Grats, pwn on winning the station. :thumb:

Sorry if the interview was a bit long.  Last and I actually had a lot of stuff that we didn't cover and I was trying to make sure we stayed somewhat on track throughout the whole thing.  The two of us get along really well, too, which probably contributed to the overall length.  I'll see if I can cut the interviews down a bit in the future. :cool:
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 December 2014, 23:49:43 by Sent »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #205 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 23:29:39 »

Sorry if the interview was a bit long.  Last and I actually had a lot of stuff that we didn't cover and I was trying to make sure we stayed somewhat on track throughout the whole thing.  The two of get along really well, too, which probably contributed to the overall length.  I'll see if I can cut the interviews down a bit in the future. :cool:

Wasn't too long for me. IMO, if you can't sit through an hour interview this probably isn't for you.

* HoffmanMyster shrugs

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #206 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 23:44:40 »

Sorry if the interview was a bit long.  Last and I actually had a lot of stuff that we didn't cover and I was trying to make sure we stayed somewhat on track throughout the whole thing.  The two of get along really well, too, which probably contributed to the overall length.  I'll see if I can cut the interviews down a bit in the future. :cool:

Wasn't too long for me. IMO, if you can't sit through an hour interview this probably isn't for you.

* HoffmanMyster shrugs

Yeah I liked the length. I would keep them around an hour or so, it seems like a good length to me. Enough to have some good conversation, but not too long that you can't listen all at once!

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #207 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 09:41:29 »

Sorry if the interview was a bit long.  Last and I actually had a lot of stuff that we didn't cover and I was trying to make sure we stayed somewhat on track throughout the whole thing.  The two of us get along really well, too, which probably contributed to the overall length.  I'll see if I can cut the interviews down a bit in the future. :cool:
Thanks! and I was hoping it would be longer actually, but I can imagine how hard it is to keep steady conversation about the same subject for almost an hour.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #208 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 13:31:35 »

The length was perfect, I like when interviews are longer. It makes it feel more complete. Short interviews make me think I'm only getting half the story. You probably already had this idea but an interview with a maker would be sick. Bro, Noko, Binge, Nub, JD, I think it would be cool to learn how they got into keyboards and what inspired them to make products to share with us.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #209 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 13:48:47 »
I wish I had ripped it before my flight. I haven't found the time to listen yet. An hour seems like a good time though.

(Sent from terminal A at SFO)
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #210 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 22:18:09 »
The length was perfect, I like when interviews are longer. It makes it feel more complete. Short interviews make me think I'm only getting half the story. You probably already had this idea but an interview with a maker would be sick. Bro, Noko, Binge, Nub, JD, I think it would be cool to learn how they got into keyboards and what inspired them to make products to share with us.

Yup, that's in the works but thanks for suggesting it. :thumb:  I definitely want to pick one of their brains until they're annoyed with me, hah.

As for the length, it looks like I'll be keeping it around an hour, then.  I actually find it much easier to talk to much than too less. :'(

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #211 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 08:23:40 »
looking forward to the next entry

luckily i often get a sneak peak

as for booper, i have something special to send you, im jsut waiting on it arriving, but ill send you tracking once it does, ill also send the runners up of that comp a little something in the new year
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #212 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:12:12 »
Feeling sad about something you bought recently?  Check this week's entry.  The first post has also been updated.

http://blog.ctrlalt.io/articles/ahhh-****
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:15:50 by Sent »

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #213 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:20:04 »
Quote from: Sent
Nothing's perfect and our expectations have to be flexible.

Cherry profile is perfect ^-^

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #214 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:23:20 »
Nice blog entry, Sent. :)

Buyer's remorse is something I deal with on an ongoing basis, as a compulsive spender. But you get used to it. It does suck when it's the first experience of it with a new or treasured hobby, though.

I could have told you that DSA sucks (and PBT, too). After matt3o's DSA Retro buy, where I spent over $250 on sets that sit in a box in my closet, I vowed no more DSA...ever!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #215 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:24:15 »
I had something very similar happen with my first SP dcs set, it's what really showed the downfalls of thin abs. Also I bought the OTD WYSE set second hand and hate typing on it.  :(
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #216 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:26:16 »
I had something very similar happen with my first SP dcs set, it's what really showed the downfalls of thin abs.

After Cherry/GMK and SP's SA, I actually don't mind SP's DCS at all. But then again, I do have a fondness for those vintage WYSE caps I typed on long ago (and sometimes currently).

in memoriam

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #217 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:29:57 »
I had something very similar happen with my first SP dcs set, it's what really showed the downfalls of thin abs.

After Cherry/GMK and SP's SA, I actually don't mind SP's DCS at all. But then again, I do have a fondness for those vintage WYSE caps I typed on long ago (and sometimes currently).

I'll have to give it another try down the road. The only reason I still have my WYSE set is I really want to be able to enjoy it at some point.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #218 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:34:08 »
I could have told you that DSA sucks (and PBT, too). After matt3o's DSA Retro buy, where I spent over $250 on sets that sit in a box in my closet, I vowed no more DSA...ever!

The solution to that is to sell, sell, sell! :p :D

And to go along with the buyers remorse post, the [ctrl]alt blog needs to interview a guest about hoarding (*cough* jd *cough*) OR maybe you could call it 'investing' ;)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #219 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:35:27 »
maybe you could call it 'investing' ;)

Heh.  If we ever sold stuff, maybe you could call it that.  :P

Seriously I know so many of you guys who say "I have this thing to sell...if I ever get around to it"...  :))

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #220 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:36:23 »

Seriously I know so many of you guys who say "I have this thing to sell...if I ever get around to it"...  :))

I am guilty of this as well

"I'll save for a GON one day..."

Although now that I have a bit of supplemental income and enough clothes, I think now is the time for it.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #221 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:38:15 »

jd is firmly in our sites for an interview

in fact, i doubt he remembers this, but about 6 + months ago i had a conversation with him about my idea for what this blog was, and that i wanted to do community interviews and asked him if he would do it, it took a long time for me to get it going and find the right person to do it (clearly i am not the man for the job) but we are here now

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #222 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:38:47 »

Heh.  If we ever sold stuff, maybe you could call it that.  :p

I hear jd actually has a storage building full of keyboard stuff so I decided to buy one to put all my crap in!

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #223 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:39:42 »
For me there are two aspects to buyer's remorse.
a) Monetary loss - This is something that isn't a big deal in this hobby (Thank god), generally one doesn't make a big loss. I've been involved in other hobbies, where this is a big issue and I had to think twice before I spent my money.
b) Death of enthusiasm - For me this is the big one as I'm a compulsive spender, and I get very very excited about the stuff, even for the smallest thing which people might not even give a second though to, and if that item isn't upto the mark or like I expected it, the hurts man, the hurts.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #224 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:41:14 »
^^ In reagrds to item b, I've had more buyers apathy than buyers remorse. I get all excited about buying something only to get it and just put it away because I'm just not that interested anymore.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #225 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:43:43 »

I hear jd actually has a storage building full of keyboard stuff so I decided to buy one to put all my crap in!

(Attachment Link)

AFAIK, he keeps a lot of it in his garage.  I keep mine in a pile in the corner of my room + displayed on some tables, photekq keeps his in a pile on a couch (!?), etc.  I've seen a few GHer's collections and it's always interesting to see how they handle the clutter collections.  ;)

We could use a "post your pile of crap" thread, I think...  :))

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #226 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:49:06 »

(Attachment Link)

AFAIK, he keeps a lot of it in his garage.  I keep mine in a pile in the corner of my room + displayed on some tables, photekq keeps his in a pile on a couch (!?), etc.  I've seen a few GHer's collections and it's always interesting to see how they handle the clutter collections.  ;)

I have 50 Commodore Amigas in my basement (hybrid switch) and my room has the boxes/ gear for everything I currently use.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #227 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:50:07 »

(Attachment Link)

I have 50 Commodore Amigas in my basement (hybrid switch) and my room has the boxes/ gear for everything I currently use.

whoa, that's cool! post a pic!

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #228 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:50:53 »
^^ In reagrds to item b, I've had more buyers apathy than buyers remorse. I get all excited about buying something only to get it and just put it away because I'm just not that interested anymore.

I can see this being an issue, specially given how long some things take to finally be delivered (Not the producer's fault, just the nature of things). I think I'm going to go through this when I finally get my Round 5 goods.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #229 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:51:48 »

(Attachment Link)

I guess this is the motivation I need to put them in the classifides, they are all NIB.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #230 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:53:57 »

(Attachment Link)

I guess this is the motivation I need to put them in the classifides, they are all NIB.

:eek: 50 NIB?? That's pretty intense, regardless of what the item is... 

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #231 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:55:09 »
That's how he got here in the first place!

He didn't know what they were so he posted them here somewhere.

Nobody wants to interview me about how :triangle: happens :(

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #232 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:57:28 »

Thats how it happened, but I said I was selling them so the post was removed.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #233 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:57:33 »

but then :triangle: would just be :square:

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #234 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:57:45 »
Nice blog entry, Sent. :)

Buyer's remorse is something I deal with on an ongoing basis, as a compulsive spender. But you get used to it. It does suck when it's the first experience of it with a new or treasured hobby, though.

Yeah, it's odd.  I love DSA, usually.  I switch between GMK cherry and DSA generally but...something changed, I guess?  It makes me sad since I have the Valentine's set on order.  I hope I don't hate that one, as well. :(

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #235 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:58:32 »

i think thats because you dont know what the triangle means yet

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #236 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 15:00:23 »

:|

at least i remembered it happened

but then :triangle: would just be :square:

squares are cool

circles are where the issue lies

i think thats because you dont know what the triangle means yet

ah yes i remember when i got really mad about that

i still do just more quietly now

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #237 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 15:02:08 »

You broke da rulez, man.   >:D

circles are where the issue lies

OUCH.   :'( :'(

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #238 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 15:17:11 »

You broke da rulez, man.   >:D

I didn't know any better, GH was still confusing. If my count is correct I have 20 hybrid springs and 32 of the rubber sleeve ones.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Here's the pile of crap.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #239 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 19:56:19 »
great post Sent - very relevant to this hobby. I am aware of my own buyer's remorse and have been very careful with what I buy. For example, I am convinced of Topre goodness so I focused only on Topre caps and artisan caps, which fortunately, there are not many variety - I mean, how many RealForce Topre key caps can one get? And there's only two variant of HHKB keycaps (blanks and printed, black or white). So, in a way, I minimize my lust. But still, I succumbed to a recent JD40 by CTRLALT and then GMK Dolch and then 2TU Korean custom. Fortunately, I love all of them and now I am slowly inching my way to collecting artisan caps in MX, lol! As for artisan caps, I think the possibilities of buyer's remorse is EVEN higher, which was what I get with Gas Mask caps, so now I am only focusing on CC and BB, and an occasional Dolly.

This hobby is brutal!

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #240 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 20:20:56 »
great post Sent - very relevant to this hobby. I am aware of my own buyer's remorse and have been very careful with what I buy. For example, I am convinced of Topre goodness so I focused only on Topre caps and artisan caps, which fortunately, there are not many variety - I mean, how many RealForce Topre key caps can one get? And there's only two variant of HHKB keycaps (blanks and printed, black or white). So, in a way, I minimize my lust. But still, I succumbed to a recent JD40 by CTRLALT and then GMK Dolch and then 2TU Korean custom. Fortunately, I love all of them and now I am slowly inching my way to collecting artisan caps in MX, lol! As for artisan caps, I think the possibilities of buyer's remorse is EVEN higher, which was what I get with Gas Mask caps, so now I am only focusing on CC and BB, and an occasional Dolly.

This hobby is brutal!

Yeah, I had some intense buyer's remorse with some artisan caps.  They're really not for me. :(

Nice pick up on that 2TU, btw.  If I had saw that earlier, I would've nabbed it.  I love Apollos' boards.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #241 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 20:25:26 »
Thanks! Its my first Korean and I understand what the fuss was all about. Very pretty. I'm still not sure about the programmability though. It has two function layers and I'm still figuring out the second layer but that's a different subject altogether.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #242 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 20:39:59 »
Like many of you guys i also am a compulsive buyer which actually turned out to be a horrible thing when i moved to Japan because they don't refund items unless they're broken but even then they always choose to replace the item rather than refund it, this took me a good 2 months to get used to as i'm using to the north American way of being able to basically return anything.
I miss this because i used to always just, "buy both" and then return one, this worked out great because as far as i can remember I've always opened boxes like they're bombs and remember exactly how they go back in.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #243 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 06:12:44 »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #244 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 07:57:19 »
Interview with Booper is up! :thumb:

http://blog.ctrlalt.io/articles/interview-booper

Don't you know I can't listen to an interview now?  I have to work!

Looking forward to listening when I get home.   :thumb:   Nice pics in the article!

Offline margo baggins

• Dungeon Dweller
  • * Maker
  • Get back to work!
« Reply #245 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 09:26:00 »
Booper's caps are so damn nice.
I got boards.

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #246 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 10:42:36 »
Interview with Booper is up! :thumb:

http://blog.ctrlalt.io/articles/interview-booper

Don't you know I can't listen to an interview now?  I have to work!

Looking forward to listening when I get home.   :thumb:   Nice pics in the article!

Booper's caps are so damn nice.

Thanks!! :D

Thanks for the interview Sent! It's nice to be forced out my shell sometimes
omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #247 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 13:15:50 »
did you do something weird to the audio in booper's interview?

I get you in my left ear and booper in my right

it's annoying

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #248 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 16:16:38 »
did you do something weird to the audio in booper's interview?

I get you in my left ear and booper in my right

it's annoying

Hmm...that wasn't happening on my end before but it is now...that's odd...

I'll see what's up later and see if I can fix that.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #249 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 16:23:29 »
Nice interview, Sent and Booper! And thank you for the mentions. :D

in memoriam