Author Topic: [IC] DCS Alps WoB Keycaps Revived! - GB Live Now!  (Read 24548 times)

Offline PigeonsLikeBread

[IC] DCS Alps WoB Keycaps Revived! - GB Live Now!
« on: Sun, 27 June 2021, 11:05:51 »
GB is live now, please refer here for finalized kitting and renders, as well as information on where to buy: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=118246

Hello everyone,

This is an interest check for DCS Alps White-on-Black keycaps from Signature Plastics. As some of you may recall, this was previously an interest check by hineybush. He is no longer able to continue with the project and was nice enough to let me take over.

The purpose of this IC is to flush out some kitting, as well as throw out some ideas I had about making an Alps “starter pack.”

One of the biggest hassles with making a custom Alps build is having to source a compatible PCB and plate, switches, keycaps, and stabilizers. Unlike MX parts which are generally standardized, Alps parts do vary and can cause compatibility issues.

Finding aftermarket Alps-compatible PCBs has become easier with so many boards supporting h87a, h88a, and 60% w/ JST. Signature Plastics Alps keycaps use MX stabilizers, so that part is easy too. That leaves keycaps (which this GB covers), plates, and switches.

So along with this group buy, I would like to offer forged carbon fiber plates for many different boards, as well as genuine Alps switches. The latter is a little hard since Alps are no longer made, but I am doing some work to source them.

If this is something of interest to you, please let me know what board(s) you would be interested in getting plates for. Please make sure the board has an Alps compatible PCB already, because that will not be offered.

Now onto kitting:

I reworked some of the kitting. Most notably, I added Alice layout support in the base kit. F13 is TBD since I will need to confirm that it is possible to add at a reasonable price. I also made some changes to the spacebar kit and 40s kit. The ISO kit remains the same. See below.

Note: Legends will be in the style of DCS Midnight, not how they appear in the kits picture

I’d also like to offer relegendables and maybe a macro kit (for boards with a KMAC Mini style left cluster). Any preferences on a relegendable vs macro kit?

I am very open to suggestions for kitting, so please, if you have any, let me know!

My partner and main vendor for this GB is Bear Cable Co. (https://www.bearcables.com/). He will be the US vendor, and possibly, depending on demand, the global vendor. If there is enough interest, regional vendors could be added.

Interest Check Form: https://forms.gle/EpSoCeHza4sZ8MS69
Link to my Discord! https://discord.gg/dTTbRd5rTT

Any and all constructive feedback is great! Thank you.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 September 2022, 10:43:31 by PigeonsLikeBread »

Offline PigeonsLikeBread

Re: [IC] DCS Alps WoB Keycaps Revived!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 June 2021, 11:07:27 »
Reserved

Offline 7empest

• ༼ つ ◕ ◕ ༽つ
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 June 2021, 11:12:16 »
Nice! Glad to see this is back. Alps is so neglected and there is such a need for more Alps customization! Glwic!

Also, I would def lean on the relegendable side
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 June 2021, 11:16:00 by 7empest »

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 27 June 2021, 11:14:34 »
On board as well.

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 27 June 2021, 11:21:03 »
I'd be interested in a 60% tray plate, but also imagine koala and v2ce plates would be quite popular. Probably in but would much prefer the font that we saw on DCS Alps Yuri.
Hoarder Collector and designer

Classifieds

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 27 June 2021, 12:12:40 »
Want to see some good renders, but it’s nice to see alps getting some love. DCS profile is also  :thumb: GLWIC!

Offline Fraaaan

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 27 June 2021, 12:43:58 »
Consider getting rid of UK ISO kit and adding basic ISO support to base kit.

Offline Weltschmerz

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 27 June 2021, 13:57:12 »
Interested! Hopefully this does well so we could potentially branch out to more interesting color schemes. I'd probably be in for a set or two

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 27 June 2021, 15:08:31 »
Nice. Good to see this back in the running.

Offline jH0Ni

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 27 June 2021, 16:09:41 »
Would love a kit for vertical fn/macro cluster a la kmac mini. If so, I'd prefer macro keys rather than relegendables.

Offline tpec

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 27 June 2021, 21:07:36 »
Glad this is moving forward! Can't wait to get some nice Alps caps:)

Offline see

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 10:59:17 »
ooooh, been reading up on more alps/vint stuff recently and this is cool. especially with the non-standard dcs font (the font on dcs is one of the turn offs for me although it's not too bad)

good to see this is being revived

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 10:59:26 »
So glad to see this back up and running again!

As a side note, any chance we can get a 1u enter key for the 40's kit? Would love this for my Cajal and some green alps!

Offline Onnimar

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 14:24:26 »
Count me in. Been waiting on this for a while.

edit "Keep the UK ISO, please."  ;D
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 June 2021, 14:42:27 by Onnimar »

Offline Little4Real

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 18:04:08 »
Any chance you could add a 1U "0" to the numpad as well as the 2U version? Would be greatly appreciated.

Offline PigeonsLikeBread

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 20:04:00 »
So glad to see this back up and running again!

As a side note, any chance we can get a 1u enter key for the 40's kit? Would love this for my Cajal and some green alps!

I will probably be revising the 40s kit so I will keep this in mind!

Any chance you could add a 1U "0" to the numpad as well as the 2U version? Would be greatly appreciated.

There is a R4 1u "0" - did you need something else?

Offline Sterenke

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 04:01:38 »
Just wanted to say that the 40s rows probably have the wrong lables. The lower r2 should probably be r3. I'm also uncertain of who will use the r2 capslock for 40s (you might want to remove it).

In regards to the spacebar kit - you might want to add a 2u spacebar for alice support with 2u+1,25u layout.

Thanks for reviving this!
GLWIC

Offline Sturmtiger

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 15:40:55 »
Let's go, looking good!

Offline U47

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 16:48:35 »
Just wanted to say that the 40s rows probably have the wrong lables. The lower r2 should probably be r3. I'm also uncertain of who will use the r2 capslock for 40s (you might want to remove it).
R3 is definitely missing a 1U ESC and/or a CTRL. That's a lot of Enters.

I'm not super familiar what the 40s kit is trying to support, but there's a lot of >1U keys here.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 June 2021, 16:50:07 by U47 »

Offline PigeonsLikeBread

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 22:41:42 »

In regards to the spacebar kit - you might want to add a 2u spacebar for alice support with 2u+1,25u layout.

Thanks for reviving this!
GLWIC

R3 is definitely missing a 1U ESC and/or a CTRL. That's a lot of Enters.

I'm not super familiar what the 40s kit is trying to support, but there's a lot of >1U keys here.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely be revising the 40s kit.

Offline Little4Real

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 00:30:13 »
There is a R4 1u "0" - did you need something else?

Forgive me, I'm a little dumb sometimes.

Offline Domantas

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 14:42:14 »
hm maybe buy just to have alps keycaps lol. Though I would recommend make it smaller kit (tkl + 65% and some basic ones) to keep price lower

Offline joshuarubin

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 15:03:33 »
Curious what “original alps” switches you might be able to source. Are we talking new old stock skcm/skcl? Newer gen? What colors? It seemed like an aside in the post but sounds like a huge deal to me!

Offline beigeandbrown

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 15:26:06 »
It'd be very cool if you would get sckm blue/orange and skcl greens but I think finding a good source of dell big foots, pine (old logo) if possible, would be ideal because people could try tactile, clicky, and linear (through modification of leaves) at a much lower price than sourcing the colored switches (esp. with those blue alps reaching $4+ per switch).

Offline sntXrrr

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 18:58:02 »
Interesting, not sure if I will join. When it comes to Alps I have a Keymacs and will own a Borsdorf, both have non-standard layouts so these caps won't help me much there. But maybe I'll buy them anyway for some future board I don't know about yet.

Offline matthewdias

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 02:10:06 »
I feel like 1 large base kit would make cost much more viable for those that need the extension kits. You could trim down 40s to just 1.75 backspace, 1.5 enter, and 1.25 tab, and do terminal ISO, so you arent adding too many keys to base. i think you can delete the 1.5u bar and the extra 2.75u bar, they arent really adding support for anything unless theres something alpsey idk about.

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 08:29:20 »
nice. hopefully it gets multiple rounds to encourage more alps kb/pcb design

Offline rpiguy9907

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 11:01:29 »
I have the opposite opinion - make smaller, cheaper kits.

No need for a num pad in the base kit. There are very few full size/1800 customs that need the numpad.

Make a small, cheap kit.

Offline J3ff_Leopard

• Wishlist
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 03 July 2021, 01:50:48 »

No need for a num pad in the base kit. There are very few full size/1800 customs that need the numpad.

Make a small, cheap kit.

Breaking up kits results in substantial price increases for people who need that compatibility. More than everyone else saves in most instances. Also for each kit you add, you significantly increase the risks that each one won't succeed. And yes, in 2021 there are still major concerns over Alps kits hitting moq. If anything it's only getting worse as time goes on as less switches become available/usable.It's very much still a niche within a niche. In my opinion, we should have as few kits as possible and support each other as a community to make sure it gets made.
WTB Resin Cast Click Clack Leaf

Offline drdoc

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 03 July 2021, 09:07:36 »
Y'all can throw rocks if you like, but a Matias kit would be the cat's PJs.

They make good switches and decent boards, but their keycaps are really awful.

And maybe a BAE set just for giggles

Offline Cods

• Penumbra SA Mark II please?
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 02:56:40 »
Interested in one or maybe two sets of each.
Would also be interested in other colourways - black-on-white, or even something like the design/colours Drop + BIIP throwback set.

Model M Industrial, SSK, Unicomp 104, Code TKL MX Green, FC660M MX Green + Clear + White + Grey, FC660C Topre 45g, MagicForce 68 USB and Bluetooth, Whitefox, some optical switch 65% Bluetooth split spacebar thing ... wait, I think I need an intervention. Too late, there’s a couple of new Model Fs on the way.
Too much SA is never enough.

Offline U47

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 10:41:32 »
As a veteran of the Alpine Winter buy, I think you should keep it as simple as possible. There are going to be more than enough problems with manufacturing and logistics, lack of Alps stab tooling, SP mess-ups, etc. etc. There's no need to try and scratch everyone's itch.

Signature Plastics caps are nothing to write home about, but a WoB PBT set is a legitimate goal that doesn't currently exist. It's a good goal.

I would suggest supporting as many layouts as is reasonable, and make a single kit (or maybe split it into two). That's already enough for any Alps group buy, imho. Fancy colourways, novelties, etc. can come later if this one is successful.

Offline Bushhawk

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 14:28:36 »
Nice to see some love for Alps.

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 16:14:13 »
In for at least one!

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 10 July 2021, 04:51:08 »
I'll take a set of everything, thank you for the simple but perfect ISO kit, I can't understand why all GB have a set like this as standard.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline U47

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 11:26:58 »
Question: does Signature Plastics have the ability to make convex Alps spacebars shorter than 6U? Honestly, that's my unicorn.

It's been mentioned already and you have said you're revising the 40s kit, but having 2 2U spacebars in the 40s kit is probably a good idea.

Looking forward to this hopefully happening.

Offline PigeonsLikeBread

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 12:09:00 »
Question: does Signature Plastics have the ability to make convex Alps spacebars shorter than 6U? Honestly, that's my unicorn.

Hopefully it can be done, we will be working with SP on this.

Offline Domantas

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 14 July 2021, 06:50:41 »

Make a small, cheap kit.

Breaking up kits results in substantial price increases for people who need that compatibility. More than everyone else saves in most instances. Also for each kit you add, you significantly increase the risks that each one won't succeed. And yes, in 2021 there are still major concerns over Alps kits hitting moq. If anything it's only getting worse as time goes on as less switches become available/usable.It's very much still a niche within a niche. In my opinion, we should have as few kits as possible and support each other as a community to make sure it gets made.

I am always for either: super small base kit (kinda just to try it before new revision) OR super huge base kit and no other kits (unless it is 40% which is rare as it is, so it can be seperate). Thus I love drop sets (but kinda don't like drop itself lol). Hionestly anything could be alps but somehow people don't like to make plates and pcb for it. Generally I like base kit so either this or smaller
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 July 2021, 06:57:54 by Domantas »

Offline BOK

• i,m fine
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 23 July 2021, 12:40:47 »
Reserve

Offline F13

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 23 July 2021, 16:36:03 »
Thanks for picking up this GB.

Looking forward to this going live!

Offline ephemeral25

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 23 July 2021, 16:52:37 »
Super nice project, still interested in it.

Could you please consider pipe R3 for the ISO kit ? (for ISO US)

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 09 August 2021, 20:14:14 »
Ditto. Still interested.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline TjarleN

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 23 August 2021, 04:24:45 »
ne updates avail?

Offline PigeonsLikeBread

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 30 August 2021, 21:04:42 »
Currently working on kitting as well as plates.

So far I have prototypes for standard 60% (tray & o-ring), Jane V1 (with smaller tabs for Orion board compatibility), Jane V2, and Jane V2 CE, all in 1.1mm forged carbon fiber.

Pictures available here: https://imgur.com/a/TjnaBoX

I will be adding both macros and relegendables kits most likely, as well as regional vendors.

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 30 August 2021, 22:39:53 »
Currently working on kitting as well as plates.

So far I have prototypes for standard 60% (tray & o-ring), Jane V1 (with smaller tabs for Orion board compatibility), Jane V2, and Jane V2 CE, all in 1.1mm forged carbon fiber.

Pictures available here: https://imgur.com/a/TjnaBoX

I will be adding both macros and relegendables kits most likely, as well as regional vendors.

would definitely be interested in a Jane / Orion Alps solution. Hopefully this makes it.

Offline AeternusCo

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 30 August 2021, 23:26:04 »
I'd suggest removing the R2 caps key from the 40s kit, that's not really a key that's used

Offline headdent

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 03 September 2021, 17:05:29 »
Would love to see a relegendable kit happen.

Offline xjejex

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 11 September 2021, 12:21:12 »
def interested, keep up the good work!

Offline kameron

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 11 September 2021, 12:41:17 »
some renders would be nice and i agree that a relegendable kit would be great glwic.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 11 September 2021, 13:34:27 »
Will purchase for the long awaited day when someone decides to remake alps skcl green my favorite linear so i can put it on my kebyoard
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!