Author Topic: Shorter space bar for Model M?  (Read 1987 times)

Offline cheater

Shorter space bar for Model M?
« on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 09:54:28 »
Hi guys,
I would like to modify an Unicomp Model M to add a new key immediately to the right of the left Alt key, taking that space away from the space bar. There is a shaft in that spot that is unused, so the mod should be easy. I'm not sure if I'll need to modify the membrane, but people tell me there's a likelihood there is a contact there already. If not, no big deal.

I would need to get/make a shorter space bar. The wire is not an issue, as I can make my own, but a space bar might be more difficult. I'm not too keen on making one myself, unless absolutely necessary. I would like to modify one of their models with win keys, such as EnduraPro. Are there space bars that will fit the 104 key Model M (regarding shaft position) and which are shorter? Can I buy them somewhere?

BTW, I understand I'd need a new controller, but I'm looking to add my own usb controller anyway.

I would appreciate any tips. Thanks!

Offline Tactile

Re: Shorter space bar for Model M?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 12:06:29 »
Unicomp make two lengths of spacebars, imaginatively named "short" and "long". Would their short one work for you?

159742-0
REΛLFORCE

Offline CapnHighlands

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 12:07:00 »
I have a Unicomp Model M that I had used as my main board for some time before I switched to linears. It seems like there aren't many parts available for them mainly because you can get PBT dyesub keycaps directly from Unicomp themselves, thus driving down third-party need to make customizable product for it.

I think a good tip is if it's not on Unicomp's site, it will be decently hard to find.

EDIT: Tactile's pic is a great example though, I'm guessing the short bar would work unless you're already using an ultra 104.

Offline cheater

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 16:45:11 »
I have a Unicomp Model M that I had used as my main board for some time before I switched to linears. It seems like there aren't many parts available for them mainly because you can get PBT dyesub keycaps directly from Unicomp themselves, thus driving down third-party need to make customizable product for it.

I think a good tip is if it's not on Unicomp's site, it will be decently hard to find.

EDIT: Tactile's pic is a great example though, I'm guessing the short bar would work unless you're already using an ultra 104.

Hi! Thanks for the replies. Indeed, I want to use a 104; however, even if I weren't, the space bar wouldn't be good. Its position is determined by the shaft located in it.

So what I want is as if you took a 104's space bar, and cut off the wodth of an Alt key away on its left side.

I hope I can find something like this. I really don't want to cut and paste an existing space bar...

I wonder how difficult it could be to make a mold for such a key for a one-off production?