Author Topic: Can I drill holes into a Carbon Fiber plate?  (Read 2390 times)

Offline Leopard223

Can I drill holes into a Carbon Fiber plate?
« on: Sat, 18 December 2021, 16:55:01 »
So I have a CF plate made for a hand wire project that I don't have any time or mental strength to do [again], but I found a PCB that can fit the already made plate and case, only issue is that the plate does not have any cutouts that correlates with that PCB cutouts, so I thought about drilling holes into the plate but I'm worried the plate will explode or the carbon fiber will get messed up, I'm not familiar with CF so I don't know how to approach it.
From what I know it's a 3K carbon fiber, Twill, I think it's coated in resin? not really sure but the surface is smooth to the touch.

Do I even need to secure the PCB to the plate? I'm worried about the PCB detaching frm the switches over time as the PCB is hotswap.

Offline Findecanor

Re: Can I drill holes into a Carbon Fiber plate?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 December 2021, 10:05:59 »
I have not cut carbon fibre, only fibreglass, so I don't know which tools are best.
But I do know that the dust is no joke. Do wear gloves, protective goggles and dust mask. Professionals use a draft table or something that collects dust so that it does not get around in the room. I often mount a vacuum cleaner hose in a vice right next to the part I work on (fibreglass). Work on some paper to dispose of right away. Wipe off all surface with wet paper towel. Change clothes afterwards.

Offline Leopard223

Re: Can I drill holes into a Carbon Fiber plate?
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 December 2021, 15:50:05 »
I have not cut carbon fibre, only fibreglass, so I don't know which tools are best.
But I do know that the dust is no joke. Do wear gloves, protective goggles and dust mask. Professionals use a draft table or something that collects dust so that it does not get around in the room. I often mount a vacuum cleaner hose in a vice right next to the part I work on (fibreglass). Work on some paper to dispose of right away. Wipe off all surface with wet paper towel. Change clothes afterwards.
Seems like I am not prepared to do this yet, thank you for the precautions advice!