geekhack Community > Keyboards

Trying to ID a rare keyboard with an odd layout

(1/1)

grimes:
Hi all, I've got an odd one here. I posted about it on the subreddits r/mechanicalkeyboards and r/TOMT, but didn't get an accurate answer.

I rewatched Marvel's Loki show recently and a keyboard caught my eye! I like the idea of recreating the exact board in the show to have as a kind of dual-purpose fandom collectible (MCU and mechs). I was quickly able to find the exact keycap set (the YMDK clone of Drop's Carbon) by looking at posts on Reddit from around the show's release. But nowhere in any of those threads could I find anyone accurately identifying the keyboard itself. It's an odd layout: a 60% with a standard ANSI bottom row + a clustered FN row, but no arrow keys or other modifiers, in a black case.

I decided to shoot an email to the show's production designer, Kasra Farahani, as a hail Mary to see if he remembered it. To my surprise, he got back to me and asked for a screenshot to jog his memory. A while later he said he couldn't dig up the specific model, but he did send me a clearer picture of the keyboard! I was hoping, armed with that, some of you kind folks might be able to help me ID a keyboard with this layout.

I wonder if this is just a really rare board that someone on the production crew happened to own, or if they custom-built one for some reason. To custom-build a board from scratch just to add FN keys to a 60% seems a bit extra to me, though--especially considering that they were unconcerned enough to use a clone of a popular Drop keycap set. They didn't even use the Drop set itself.

The screenshot from the show: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bI4oAiwLJ0d1jV0IoMNTlSbFI6FmdHxH/view?usp=sharing
The pic Farahani sent me: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ySJUqEZ09lIzu61S3ogfq4VVOXGeV_8p/view?usp=share_link

Any ideas?

ule:
Not the most helpful, but the layout looks exactly like a tkl with the right side chopped off. Never really seen anything like it. With the case seeming to be plastic(?) I wonder if this is either a diy job, or some small brand made a small batch of boards.

Best of luck with your search!

CaesarAZealad:
Looks like a 3d printed bakeneko. Prop people can be crafty. My theory is that it was a specifically made prop to look like a fancy specific keyboard :P
If I hadn't cancelled my disney+ subscription (they want 15 ****ing dollars a month, **** OFF) I'd give it a look myself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version