Author Topic: ... did typo really have a terminal illness?  (Read 5519 times)

Offline Maledicted

... did typo really have a terminal illness?
« on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 16:41:33 »
Most of you should be familiar with the colorful frequent poster known simply as typo. I'll immediately say that he is known to tell tall tales, and it is difficult for people to tell fact from fiction in conversation with him. In recent weeks he had been commenting openly in threads about having a terminal illness. Beforehand, I had already had some private conversations with him ... since otherwise, many threads would be derailed beyond anything conscionable.

Personally, I think he tends to meld fact with fiction. I don't think it is all tall tails/exaggerations, and even if they were, I figured that even if the chance was small that he could really have a terminal illness, and based on his repeated public statements about basically having no friends, I figured it would only be right for me to try to be supportive and conversational with him in difficult times.

In more recent times, much of our private conversations have at least touched on the topics of death, the afterlife, and how he was feeling that day. Most days, it seems, even in threads, he would say that he couldn't manage to get out of bed that day. Some days he seemed happy to just be able to sit up and eat. In the last few days in which he was still logging into this site and responding to my messages, he made them substantially shorter, and less frequent, noting at least once that he wasn't feeling well enough to respond that day and had to keep it short.

Now, maybe some of the more antagonistic were right and typo doesn't say a single thing that's true. Maybe he just went on an extended vacation and/or lost interest for a while, as many do, but without going into detail (for his privacy), the last message he sent to me has been haunting me since. He sent it on the last day that he logged in, June 10th.

I got a bad feeling once a week had gone by and he hadn't been on again, but I thought that some other explanation was still most likely at the time. It has now been almost one full month with no change, and it feels wrong for things to just end so abruptly if he truly may have succumbed. Since he always said he had no friends, you would think somebody, somewhere, who knew him might appreciate knowing that at least some other people (maybe some others in this community) cared about him as a person. That makes the feeling of dread all the worse, that someone who seemed to have been pretty active on here for many years, who may not have had many friends, may simply have passed without anybody here ever noticing.

This being the internet, this does happen, of course, and we'll rarely ever hear about it. I know that Soarer has been missing, without explanation, for years, for example.

What do you guys think? Could he have passed? Could it just be a long game trolling stunt? Has he vanished before? I swear I had seen posts from him almost every single day since I joined this forum. Regardless of what may be, I would rather people wonder and/or leave a nice comment should he never return than have him vanish without a thought. Please be respectful.

He was always nice to me, even supportive. I don't know whether he lived/lives in a 30-story mansion filled with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of custom/rare keyboards or an apartment in the local YMCA. I think his heart's always been in the right place though, and I hope that my gut instinct is wrong about where he's gone.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 July 2020, 17:45:52 by Maledicted »

Offline Findecanor

Re: ... did typo really have a terminal illness?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 17:00:27 »
He has posted enough info about himself that you could use it to look him up.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 17:04:44 »
He has posted enough info about himself that you could use it to look him up.

Outside of potential degrees and work experience, all I ever gathered for sure was that he's an older gentleman, and probably lives somewhere in northern Wisconsin. He's stated something more specific?
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 July 2020, 17:41:38 by Maledicted »

Offline dingusxmcgee

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 17:20:13 »
This is such an interesting thread to me, having not been in geekhack long, and certainly not very involved. I am no stranger to the world of online relationships/friendships/communities and the like and the effect they can have on someone. I often think of online based friends or relationships I’ve had previously and what resonates with me the most is how strong they felt, and also sometimes the regret when I’ve been the one who “disappeared” suddenly, for various reasons.

I’ve see some of his posts/comments and like you said some mentions of likely dying soon.

I hope that, if he’s still living and breathing, he is doing so with a smile.
And if not, I hope you find peace in the uncertainty of his absence.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 20:46:03 »
Was hoping $Millionaire Typo buys gekha, and gives erey1 m0ar Ergodoxes.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 18:20:23 »
Most of you should be familiar with the colorful frequent poster known simply as typo. I'll immediately say that he is known to tell tall tales, and it is difficult for people to tell fact from fiction in conversation with him. In recent weeks he had been commenting openly in threads about having a terminal illness. Beforehand, I had already had some private conversations with him ... since otherwise, many threads would be derailed beyond anything conscionable.

Personally, I think he tends to meld fact with fiction. I don't think it is all tall tails/exaggerations, and even if they were, I figured that even if the chance was small that he could really have a terminal illness, and based on his repeated public statements about basically having no friends, I figured it would only be right for me to try to be supportive and conversational with him in difficult times.

In more recent times, much of our private conversations have at least touched on the topics of death, the afterlife, and how he was feeling that day. Most days, it seems, even in threads, he would say that he couldn't manage to get out of bed that day. Some days he seemed happy to just be able to sit up and eat. In the last few days in which he was still logging into this site and responding to my messages, he made them substantially shorter, and less frequent, noting at least once that he wasn't feeling well enough to respond that day and had to keep it short.

Now, maybe some of the more antagonistic were right and typo doesn't say a single thing that's true. Maybe he just went on an extended vacation and/or lost interest for a while, as many do, but without going into detail (for his privacy), the last message he sent to me has been haunting me since. He sent it on the last day that he logged in, June 10th.

I got a bad feeling once a week had gone by and he hadn't been on again, but I thought that some other explanation was still most likely at the time. It has now been almost one full month with no change, and it feels wrong for things to just end so abruptly if he truly may have succumbed. Since he always said he had no friends, you would think somebody, somewhere, who knew him might appreciate knowing that at least some other people (maybe some others in this community) cared about him as a person. That makes the feeling of dread all the worse, that someone who seemed to have been pretty active on here for many years, who may not have had many friends, may simply have passed without anybody here ever noticing.

This being the internet, this does happen, of course, and we'll rarely ever hear about it. I know that Soarer has been missing, without explanation, for years, for example.

What do you guys think? Could he have passed? Could it just be a long game trolling stunt? Has he vanished before? I swear I had seen posts from him almost every single day since I joined this forum. Regardless of what may be, I would rather people wonder and/or leave a nice comment should he never return than have him vanish without a thought. Please be respectful.

He was always nice to me, even supportive. I don't know whether he lived/lives in a 30-story mansion filled with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of custom/rare keyboards or an apartment in the local YMCA. I think his heart's always been in the right place though, and I hope that my gut instinct is wrong about where he's gone.

I've been out of the loop of this forum.. don't know what happened to him.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 14:02:38 »
All of his 'tall tales' were things that would impress as is typical, dying is not such a thing. There have been long periods when he's not posted before but given what you've said about the PMs I think this was real so thank you, Maledicted, for having superior social skills and ignoring his request to not talk about it.

Though I barely knew the guy I too will miss him.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 14:30:15 »
All of his 'tall tales' were things that would impress as is typical, dying is not such a thing. There have been long periods when he's not posted before but given what you've said about the PMs I think this was real so thank you, Maledicted, for having superior social skills and ignoring his request to not talk about it.

Though I barely knew the guy I too will miss him.

He did speak pretty openly with me about it via private message, and the details were not much more revealing than what he had been saying in threads. I don't think he ever resisted talking about it with me. I just know, especially from experience, that the tendency, and what is the easiest, is to distance yourself from someone who is dying. This is the case even with members of your own family. I figured this was a situation in which, if true, I could at least be there for somebody. I know I haven't always been in the past. I didn't know him that well either, we hadn't been sending private messages regularly for very long. I just figured there must have been some people on here who have talked to him throughout the years and might want to say anything nice and/or weigh in on whether or not this is just another tall tale. I still hope we're both wrong.

Most importantly, if we're not wrong, I didn't want him to just vanish without anybody noticing/caring.

Thank you for the kind words. I think you're only the second poster besides myself that's addressed that side of it.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 03:29:14 »
For those curious, his grandson just posted a comment confirming he has passed.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=107877.msg2941596#msg2941596
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 06:55:18 »
Who leaves their geekhack password in their will, and who would borrow a dead guy's account to ask a random question?  Alternately this 'son' inherited a shiny new computer already signed in assumedly along with a keyboard collection, but if so why is he buying an IKBC...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 07:03:07 »
Who leaves their geekhack password in their will, and who would borrow a dead guy's account to ask a random question?  Alternately this 'son' inherited a shiny new computer already signed in assumedly along with a keyboard collection, but if so why is he buying an IKBC...

sigh.... it's an odd scenario, but there's no reason to malign the situation if its direction has not been harmful.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 07:55:08 »
I suspect he was digging through Typo's collection, he was a bit of a fan of their stuff from what I could gather.

Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 11:22:05 »
Yes, typo was mentioning that board in almost every single thread he posted in since he got it. I'm pretty sure he made a big deal about the Taiwan vs China thing in that was supposed to be some prototype from Taiwan, if you look back through his posts. I'm going by memory. I don't think the real typo would have asked about it.

You can stay logged into Geekhack for some time without having to log in again, and his computer's user account may have been set to log in without any password, or it may have been written down on the desk, etc.

I couldn't think of a reason for him to pretend that he's passed and post as his grandson. Had he even given his real name before?

May he rest in peace.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 12:48:26 »
As a person old enough to consider my own mortality, I think about these things. Also, as a "collector" with a lot of random esoteric stuff that has value to certain people but not to most (and probably not much of it to my kids) I need to think about how to at least extract value out of it for them.

To hear typo tell it, he was well off and presumably had a lot of good stuff. His grandson certainly wouldn't want to be tossing keyboards worth hundreds of dollars into the collection bin for a charity.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 13:50:47 »
Darn it . He was a nice guy. God bless him and his family.

treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 11:01:24 »
As a person old enough to consider my own mortality, I think about these things. Also, as a "collector" with a lot of random esoteric stuff that has value to certain people but not to most (and probably not much of it to my kids) I need to think about how to at least extract value out of it for them.

To hear typo tell it, he was well off and presumably had a lot of good stuff. His grandson certainly wouldn't want to be tossing keyboards worth hundreds of dollars into the collection bin for a charity.

I have thought about the same, though I'm far from old. I have thought about keyboard estate sales, donations, often. Without clear labeling, etc, I can easily see bins full of valuable things being carted off to Goodwill. It certainly happens all of the time, with plenty of different types of items.

His grandson has messaged me a few times. I don't think he would mind me saying that he plans to hold onto his grandfather's things. I say good on him. I wish more people would. The oldest and most interesting heirlooms we even have are my great grandfather's fishing pole, and my great grandmother's cedar chest. That's cool and all, but the chest just sits in the basement and nobody that I know of that's living on this side of the family even likes to fish.

I may end up being able to keep my father's Harley, but I don't know if I'll ever even be able to track down the fenders and gas tank he had painted for it ... since he apparently traded them for rent to an old friend, and they were seized by said friend's former landlord. And the engine may not even be any good. I imagine the generator that came with it is gone for good as well.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 09:30:48 »
ooh, just found out, rest in peace typo...
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline walie

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 08:06:46 »
Typo has been reincarnated

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 10:15:51 »
Typo has been reincarnated

No, typo has unfortunately passed away. But, his grandson is now using his account to chat with us about computers and keyboards.

Offline walie

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 10:39:31 »
of course