Author Topic: [IC] Carbon Keyset  (Read 241318 times)

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
Re: [IC] Carbon Keyset
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 15:27:25 »
Nevermind bad idea these are printed keycaps. But i consider to add them to the base kit as additional blank keys. One caps and scroll. Also one num for numpad.

If they increase the cost, I'd rather leave them out. I don't see much value in them as if they're blank they don't match the rest of the set. If it's a matter of only a dollar or two, then maybe keep them in for those who really want them, though. None of my boards have the lock LED's in the switch anyway.

I mailed Melissa and i will get soon approximate costs for each kit. I will post it here then. So we will be able to decide to keep the led windowed keys or not.
Also i did an update. See first page.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 15:33:17 »
Are GH and /r/MK keys still R3 on purpose? Your novelty example has them in R1 rows.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 15:52:07 »
Are GH and /r/MK keys still R3 on purpose? Your novelty example has them in R1 rows.

Oh crap forgot to change that.
Updated.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 June 2015, 16:09:17 by T0mb3ry »

Offline Melanic

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 16:43:44 »
Just wondering, are the shift keys still in row 3 profile? I kind of recalled that point when this was on PMK but I didn't notice it in the first post of this thread.

On another note, would non-deep-dish F and J keys be a possible addition?

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 17:30:45 »
Just wondering, are the shift keys still in row 3 profile? I kind of recalled that point when this was on PMK but I didn't notice it in the first post of this thread.

Unless someone has paid the several thousand dollars needed for the molds between then and now, they're still in R3. Unfortunately, SP does not have the hardware to make R4 shifts, so we're stuck with R3. IIRC it's about $4500 per key for new molds (different from new legends, and notably more expensive).
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 10:39:11 »

On another note, would non-deep-dish F and J keys be a possible addition?

Shift keys are still row 3 profile. For the non deep dish keys i must see first the current approx pricing for the deals. In this case i do not promise.

Offline Vizir

« Reply #106 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 13:13:40 »
if you are thinking of the LED window caps, would it be possible to make the LED window line up to the printed/dyed novelty design on the keycap. For example, the 2 double bonds in the C of Carbon ( http://i.imgur.com/mPxoidi.jpg ) would be single bonds and the inside dashes (-'s) of the double bonds are the led windows. so then the led is on, the single bonds turn into double bonds. and it'd have to be orange led's for the best effect.

Offline wafflepc

« Reply #107 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 13:18:53 »
You should make an option for all the letters to have the gray and orange theme, instead of white and grey.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 13:25:31 »
You should make an option for all the letters to have the gray and orange theme, instead of white and grey.

IMO that would make the set far too similar to Hack'd by Geeks.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 13:29:24 »

IMO that would make the set far too similar to Hack'd by Geeks.
Also, there's a limit of 10 child-deals and this has already been reached.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #110 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 14:59:14 »
if you are thinking of the LED window caps, would it be possible to make the LED window line up to the printed/dyed novelty design on the keycap. For example, the 2 double bonds in the C of Carbon ( http://i.imgur.com/mPxoidi.jpg ) would be single bonds and the inside dashes (-'s) of the double bonds are the led windows. so then the led is on, the single bonds turn into double bonds. and it'd have to be orange led's for the best effect.

If i understand it right this will require custom made led window keycap. That will be to expensive.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 15:01:52 »

As wlhlm said already max 10 child deals is reached also this set has a rule that only modifiers are going to be gray. Number keys are exception.

Offline Vizir

« Reply #112 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 15:03:33 »
What about leaving the existing window where it is and rotating the C. Or perhaps using another molecule which has a double or single bond in that position? Just an idea...

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #113 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 15:11:40 »
What about leaving the existing window where it is and rotating the C. Or perhaps using another molecule which has a double or single bond in that position? Just an idea...

You know i does not even know if this windowed keys will stay in the base kit. I am waiting for the pricing right now. Then i will decide. Keep in mind its a base set and i dont want to bother other buyers who want to buy other kits, as the base set is required for other child deals. I thought already about dey subing this shifts but as far as i know its possible to deysub darker colors so these shifts must be orange. Printing the keys is a no go as the printing will wear off to fast and you will get an ugly key. So its better to keep it blank. I am always thinking for the long run.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #114 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 15:15:02 »

You know i does not even know if this windowed keys will stay in the base kit. I am waiting for the pricing right now. Then i will decide. Keep in mind its a base set and i dont want to bother other buyers who want to buy other kits, as the base set is required for other child deals. I thought already about dey subing this shifts but as far as i know its possible to deysub darker colors so these shifts must be orange. Printing the keys is a no go as the printing will wear off to fast and you will get an ugly key. So its better to keep it blank. I am always thinking for the long run.

I don't think it's possible to dyesub ABS caps either. They don't react to the heat necessary for sublimation as well as PBT caps do.

Offline unoab

« Reply #115 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 17:15:32 »
Printing the keys is a no go as the printing will wear off to fast and you will get an ugly key. So its better to keep it blank. I am always thinking for the long run.

You could always front print them, then they will probably never wear out since you don't press the front of the keycap, but then it is a visual difference on those keys since the lettering is on a different face of the keycap.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 17:32:18 »
Printing the keys is a no go as the printing will wear off to fast and you will get an ugly key. So its better to keep it blank. I am always thinking for the long run.

You could always front print them, then they will probably never wear out since you don't press the front of the keycap, but then it is a visual difference on those keys since the lettering is on a different face of the keycap.

Lets see first the pricing then we see further. If the prcing is acceptable then i will make led keys front printed.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #117 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 08:29:36 »
IIIIIIISSSSSSOOOOOOO?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #118 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 10:52:16 »
IIIIIIISSSSSSOOOOOOO?

IS THERE ALREEEEAAAADY?????

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #119 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 11:14:34 »
Is there any planck or filco minila support?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #120 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 16:19:05 »
Just a question: have you looked at Carbon and its child deals before replying? I am not rude to you i just get slight feeling what some try to troll me, like the reply above with iso.

In case of minila i dont know the exact size of the spacebar but i asume its 3u size. If thats the case, SP has 3u spacebars in row 4 profile. I think with planckatomic kit you can fully cover minila. Though i must rename planckatomic as it supports minila too.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #121 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 17:03:32 »
Just a question: have you looked at Carbon and its child deals before replying? I am not rude to you i just get slight feeling what some try to troll me, like the reply above with iso.

In case of minila i dont know the exact size of the spacebar but i asume its 3u size. If thats the case, SP has 3u spacebars in row 4 profile. I think with planckatomic kit you can fully cover minila. Though i must rename planckatomic as it supports minila too.

Additional keys needed to cover minila: 1.75u R4 Ctrl, 1.25u R4 Fn (there's one in base, but minila has two), 1u R4 App/menu, 1u R4 delete.
This is in addition to the already-noted 3u spacebar.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #122 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 18:05:38 »

Additional keys needed to cover minila: 1.75u R4 Ctrl, 1.25u R4 Fn (there's one in base, but minila has two), 1u R4 App/menu, 1u R4 delete.

Yes thats right forgot to say combined base + planckatomic + 3u spacebar + novelties or 2 1.25u blanks should cover minila easily. Though renaming is not needed. Maybe just noting this.
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 June 2015, 18:10:56 by T0mb3ry »

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #123 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 19:07:00 »

Yes thats right forgot to say combined base + planckatomic + 3u spacebar + novelties or 2 1.25u blanks should cover minila easily. Though renaming is not needed. Maybe just noting this.

I don't actually see a R4 1.75u Ctrl or 1u Del anywhere. The fn and app/menu can be covered by novelties, and maybe the delete if the particular user is fine with the legend, but there isn't actually a key of the correct size and profile for the ctrl on the minila at all.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #124 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 04:44:57 »

I think a keyboard guide on the group buy page like for Modern Selectric would be awesome:
103873-0

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #125 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 08:16:03 »

I don't actually see a R4 1.75u Ctrl or 1u Del anywhere. The fn and app/menu can be covered by novelties, and maybe the delete if the particular user is fine with the legend, but there isn't actually a key of the correct size and profile for the ctrl on the minila at all.

You are how ever right :) Oversaw that delete key in planckatomic kit is row 2. Anyway base + planckatomic + 3u spacebar + novelties will cover minila consider to use novelty key for delete key.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #126 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 08:17:19 »

I think a keyboard guide on the group buy page like for Modern Selectric would be awesome:
(Attachment Link)

Was already considering to make one. I think i will do but basics one.

Offline project2501

« Reply #127 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 16:20:55 »
The Planck set could really use a ctrl 1u for R3. The default layout has ctrl next to a.

One other thing could be to bolster the 1U. It's almost better for me to get the novelty set with a range of nodescript 1u keycaps which can be used in any position/layout.

Offline Cameron

« Reply #128 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 23:33:50 »
Any info on when this will potentially be running? Is this going to go through massdrop like the jukebox set while PMK is doing their store changes or do we have to wait for it to run through PMK as a store option?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #129 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 00:17:50 »
Any reason to put all the international sets together? It would make the subset unnecessarily expensive for all ISO users, for example for UK's that just need a few keys, and will have a bunch of caps with no use at all.

Offline Data

« Reply #130 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 10:20:38 »
Any reason to put all the international sets together? It would make the subset unnecessarily expensive for all ISO users, for example for UK's that just need a few keys, and will have a bunch of caps with no use at all.

ISO kits are notorious for not reaching their MOQ.  Usually the only way to get the order numbers high enough that the kits actually get made is to combine many of them into one giant kit.  Yes, that makes for an expensive kit, but that's the price you pay if you want all the special international keys.

So... expensive, or nothing.  Those are your choices.   :(

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #131 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 12:15:45 »
Any info on when this will potentially be running? Is this going to go through massdrop like the jukebox set while PMK is doing their store changes or do we have to wait for it to run through PMK as a store option?
Waiting for the new PMK store. Dont know how to make it to masddrop though the only way is to get there enough votes. I think it will be faster todo it through PMK store.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #132 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 12:22:16 »

The reason is that separate ISO kits do not tip. So i choose the Granite approach. Yes it will be expensive. But it has much higher chances to tip. So if you had the decision to make to pay more and get something that you desire or cheaper but with unrealistic chances to tip. I already asked PMK to make ISO kits as base stuff at their store like they will do it with blanks, but i am still waiting for the answer. 

Offline Cameron

« Reply #133 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 20:08:55 »
Waiting for the new PMK store. Dont know how to make it to masddrop though the only way is to get there enough votes. I think it will be faster todo it through PMK store.

Not enough people voted on it in massdrops poll :( This makes me sad.

https://www.massdrop.com/vote/what-brand-new-sa-keycap-set-would-you-like-to-have-produced

Offline Vizir

« Reply #134 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 20:26:52 »
not many people knew about it. no one posted that poll here.  :(

Offline diqkiq

« Reply #135 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 21:41:21 »
No kidding. I'm not buying the Jukebox because I'm waiting for the Carbon
Filco Majestouch TKL, Noppoo Choc Mini, Realforce 87 55g, Model M TKL, Ducky Shine 3 TKL, KC60, Planck.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #136 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 01:26:52 »

Not enough people voted on it in massdrops poll :( This makes me sad.

https://www.massdrop.com/vote/what-brand-new-sa-keycap-set-would-you-like-to-have-produced
Carbon was added too late when Jukebox already had more than 100 votes.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #137 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 09:25:52 »
Sry GeekHack is blacklisted by email services i use and because of this i couldnt get conformation mail for registration.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #138 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 09:28:19 »
Updated first Page with approximate costs for Carbon and its child deals.
For the lazy one i do it here again:
Base Set
25 sets      $128 per set
50 sets      $93 per set
75 sets      $82 per set
100 sets      $76 per set
150 sets      $70 per set
200 sets      $67 per set
250 sets      $66 per set

Flex Kit
10 sets      $41 per set
15 sets      $35 per set
25 sets      $30 per set
50 sets      $26 per set
75 sets      $25 per set
100 sets      $24 per set
200 sets      $23 per set

Mod Kit
10 sets      $120 per set
15 sets      $87 per set
25 sets      $60 per set
50 sets      $41 per set
75 sets      $34 per set
100 sets      $31 per set
150 sets      $27 per set
200 sets      $26 per set
250 sets      $25 per set

Plank / Atomic
10 sets      $133 per set
15 sets      $96 per set
25 sets      $67 per set
50 sets      $46 per set
75 sets      $38 per set
100 sets      $34 per set
150 sets      $30 per set
200 sets      $29 per set
250 sets      $27 per set

ErgoDox
10 sets      $123 per set
15 sets      $91 per set
25 sets      $65 per set
50 sets      $45 per set
75 sets      $39 per set
100 sets      $36 per set
150 sets      $32 per set
200 sets      $31 per set
250 sets      $30 per set

ISO Kit
10 sets      $99 per set
15 sets      $80 per set
25 sets      $65 per set
50 sets      $53 per set
75 sets      $50 per set
100 sets      $48 per set
150 sets      $46 per set
200 sets      $45 per set
250 sets      $44 per set

Mac Kit
10 sets      $42 per set
15 sets      $32 per set
25 sets      $23 per set
50 sets      $17 per set
75 sets      $14 per set
100 sets      $13 per set
150 sets      $12 per set
250 sets      $11 per set

Novelties
10 sets      $146 per set
15 sets      $103 per set
25 sets      $69 per set
50 sets      $44 per set
75 sets      $35 per set
100 sets      $31 per set
150 sets      $27 per set
200 sets      $25 per set
250 sets      $23 per set

Numpad Kit
10 sets      $70 per set
15 sets      $51 per set
25 sets      $37 per set
50 sets      $26 per set
75 sets      $22 per set
100 sets      $21 per set
150 sets      $19 per set
200 sets      $18 per set
250 sets      $17 per set

Orange Alphas
10 sets      $22 per set
15 sets      $19 per set
25 sets      $16 per set
50 sets      $14 per set
100 sets      $13 per set

Keep in mind these are approximated costs so they are not final.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #139 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 10:47:31 »
Found on Reddit, looks somewhat similar to Carbon:

Offline simonyunhe

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 10:48:31 »
Ohoo GH is back...
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline simonyunhe

« Reply #141 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 10:49:40 »

Show Image

I also saw this one, anyone know this name of this set?
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #142 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 10:58:15 »

Show Image

I also saw this one, anyone know this name of this set?
It's a combination of multiple keysets. The alphas are from an ancient Cherry board:

(more images)

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #143 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 11:02:14 »
Show Image

Looks great. Wrote already a comment in reddit.

Anyway glad Geekhack is back and i dont need to trash reddit with my questions.

Offline HelixDan

• a SB player
« Reply #144 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 02:41:16 »
base kit is required for other sub deals

wha means?  :-X
====== Welcome to Matrix Lab ======
HHKBClack ClickTopre
RealForce 87uClack ClickTopre 55g
LZ-CPGMK Red AlertBrown
Minila AirGranite DSABrown
?????Red

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #145 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 02:50:16 »

I believe it means you need to buy the base kit in order to be able to buy any of the other kits.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #146 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 03:18:17 »

I believe it means you need to buy the base kit in order to be able to buy any of the other kits.
In the old PMK store, you didn't have buy the base set in order to get the child-deals. Not sure how it'll be in the new store, but I don't think they will change that.

I think what was meant here is that you need to get the base kit with a child-deal in order to cover the whole keyboard. For example, the numpad kit does not automatically include the base kit. Also, you need the base along with the int kit to be able to fill your whole keyboard with keycaps.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 July 2015, 03:51:56 by wlhlm »

Offline HelixDan

• a SB player
« Reply #147 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 03:31:50 »

:( i think so, just wanted to make sure. Wish the new PMP store will change that
HHKBClack ClickTopre
RealForce 87uClack ClickTopre 55g
LZ-CPGMK Red AlertBrown
Minila AirGranite DSABrown
?????Red

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #148 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 03:51:01 »

In the old PMK store, you didn't have buy the base set in order to get the child-deals. Not sure how it'll be in the new store, but I don't think they will change that.

I think what was meant here is that you need to get the base kit with a child-deal in order to cover the whole keyboard. For example, the numpad kit does not automatically include the base kit. Also, you need the base along with the int kit to be able to fill your whole keyboard with keycaps.

If you look at previous GBs there was always a main deal which must me be bought in order to buy other child deals. Mostly these maind deals were alphas only, but with the changes to the new store (max 10 child deals) i see nothing wrong with base kit. Or should i remove one child deal?
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 July 2015, 03:52:33 by T0mb3ry »

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #149 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 03:52:29 »
looks nice, but i have enough SA saets for now.