Author Topic: ABS M1 Broken Key  (Read 2256 times)

Offline TheBob

ABS M1 Broken Key
« on: Wed, 01 August 2012, 02:02:32 »
The D key broke on my ABS M1. The switch still functions correctly, but part of the plastic from the keycap is in the switch. It looks glued in.
I can't seem to find a place to order a new keycap for the alps keys, other than this. http://www.keycapsdirect.com/redesc.php

I was just wondering if anyone here has experience with both finding a new alps keycap and what I should use to get the plastic out of the switch.

Sad Bob is sad.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: ABS M1 Broken Key
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 August 2012, 19:13:11 »
Signature plastics does make ALPS compatible keycaps, though I imagine the profile would be off a bit. Another option is to buy a broken Dell (AT101, AT102...), NeXT, etc. on ebay and pull the keycaps off it. I have some ALPS keycaps, I might be able to give you one, but it won't match the profile at all. I guess I could SELL you a full set of doubleshot ALPS keycaps from NeXT, for you to replace your A-Z keys with, but it wouldn't be free.

There are a lot of options, actually.

About the switch: It isn't glued in, I had the stem from a cheap ABS ALPS key break off in the switch. No idea how to get it out. I'm picking at it with a needle from time to time. ALPS keycaps sometimes fit very, very tightly. If you can get it out, then it's time to find a replacement keycap.

Offline Guillairmo

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 23:11:03 »
Sorry I know this is completely off topic, but do you guys know if ABS M1 keyboards are still available? From what I understand they had a recall on the product, but I am still interested in purchasing one.

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 05:50:29 »
I use very thin needle-nose pliers to gently get the plastic out of the switch.
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline Grimey

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 12 August 2012, 21:05:48 »
I am sure I have a bag of extra Black ALPS switches sitting around here if you find that the keycap was indeed glued to the switch.  This would of course require you to do some soldering to fix this problem.

I have a bunch of ALPS keycaps I can sort through, but I doubt I have a black D key.  PM me if you need any of these things.
Erlang your pants off