Author Topic: WASD V2 barebones w/Greens  (Read 1953 times)

Offline Garfield

WASD V2 barebones w/Greens
« on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 11:52:03 »
Got my Cherry Green keyboard from WASD yesterday, and put on a set of the Vortex PBT double-shots (green/white) that I had gotten last week. Never had to install keys before, but looked at the videos WASD did showing how to install keys that use spacers, and managed to install everything with no problems. I did put the spacers in upside down at first, but fixed it and everything went fine. The bare-bones KB came with some silicone grease, and all the spacers I needed. I did put a little grease on the plastic spacers, and everything seems fine.

After putting the keys on it was time to try out the greens! I'll update this in a few days or a week, to see what I think then. Coming from Blues on my V1 WASD, it is a change, but need to give my fingers to adapt. Also, coming from a full size to TKL is a big change, so it's only fair to let my fingers get used to everything before giving my impressions. Right off the bat, they are stiffer, but not as bad as I had feared.

I think the biggest thing is that I realized that my old keyboard, I centered it (and me) with my monitor, so that the actual "letter" part of the keyboard was off center when I typed. Both of my arms and hands were angled to the left, which is obviously not optimal nor good for my arms. With this board, I'm actually centered over the home keys (asdf and jkl;). So this will probably help a bit right off the bat!

So far, I do hear a little ping sometimes, so I now know what everyone is talking about. Not bad, not a problem, and not all the time, but I have heard it a few times.

Also, like the PBT keys, I also now understand about them feeling dryer then ABS. These are also a bit more textured then the V1 WASD key-caps on my other board. I attached a pic of both my boards below. The TKL is obviously smaller, but it looks like they shrank the plastic margins around the keys from the V!, and also used a more textured plastic surface, which I actually like better. Not that it really makes much difference, but it's worth mentioning.

82766-0

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
Re: WASD V2 barebones w/Greens
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 15:49:30 »
Its nice to see that ppl are picking up wasd barebones, thanks for the review.

Offline drewba

Re: WASD V2 barebones w/Greens
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 10:35:58 »
Thanks for the write up! I've been throwing around the idea of picking up a WASD barebones because they're one of the few that has MX clears in stock. Both your boards look awesome!