Author Topic: Esc'ranium - Artisan keycap  (Read 19136 times)

Offline Growgor

Esc'ranium - Artisan keycap
« on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 08:44:54 »
In a couple of hours, I'm picking up my 3d printed keycap I did for fun the other day.
I'm quite exited about the quality of the print, since I went with a 35 micron print, which should make it pretty smooth.
Did a fast render of it, to show you guys how it looks, hope you like it.

Cheers
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 May 2016, 13:08:32 by Growgor »
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”

Offline juahenza

• DoSmallThingswithGreatLove
Re: Skull of Esc'hulu - Artisan keycap
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 08:53:19 »
looks awesome. definately interested  :thumb:
456GT | TGR Jane CE | Dolphin v2 | Whale | 360c | LZ FE | LZ IRON | TX-CP | Varmilo VA87M | HHKB P2 | IBM SSK P.1397681| IBM Industrial SSK P.1395682 | VE.A | Realforce 87u | Datamancer Streamline TKL | Datamancer Mechinist TKL | TANK v1 | RAMA M-4 | Realforce 108UW-HIPRO

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 08:55:44 »
Seems like this could be a very detailed print. Better post up some good photos of it when it arrives.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 08:58:13 »
In a couple of hours, I'm picking up my 3d printed keycap I did for fun the other day.
I'm quite exited about the quality of the print, since I went with a 35 micron print, which should make it pretty smooth.
Did a fast render of it, to show you guys how it looks, hope you like it.

Show Image

Cheers

We can be 'thulhu brothers!

Meet Skulthulhu
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 11:42:06 »
looks sweet. can't wait to see the final
Let's get this straight. There is nothing cool about keyboards we're all lame as fk.

speak for yourself

Offline Growgor

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 13:02:25 »
Seems like this could be a very detailed print. Better post up some good photos of it when it arrives.

Yea just picked it up, and I must admit, I'm pretty impressed with the quality. I'll upload some pictures later on tonight
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 15:25:06 »

Yea just picked it up, and I must admit, I'm pretty impressed with the quality. I'll upload some pictures later on tonight

i hope it looks as good as the render. i find that 3d printing anything is always somewhat disappointing, but if 35 micron is fine enough to make it look good without need for acetone vapor, i might start looking into 3d designing caps and printing them. it's not like i have anything else to do this summer, anyway
Let's get this straight. There is nothing cool about keyboards we're all lame as fk.

speak for yourself

Offline theoriginal123123

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 15:26:05 »

i hope it looks as good as the render. i find that 3d printing anything is always somewhat disappointing, but if 35 micron is fine enough to make it look good without need for acetone vapor, i might start looking into 3d designing caps and printing them. it's not like i have anything else to do this summer, anyway

What you think of skullthulu anyway?

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 15:28:40 »

binge's keythulus are my favorite caps lol. i'm not especially interested in decking out my keyboard with artisan caps, but binge's work is so beautiful

speak for yourself

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 16:16:18 »
The render certainly looks good. Will be waiting to see final pictures.

Offline theoriginal123123

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 16:21:06 »

binge's keythulus are my favorite caps lol. i'm not especially interested in decking out my keyboard with artisan caps, but binge's work is so beautiful

You got that right, binge's sculpts are awesome as hell, it blows me away every time cause I get a cap and I forget how small they actually are.

Ork trooper for life tho  :D

Offline Growgor

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 01:41:50 »
Apologies for the sloppy closeups, I did'nt really have time to setup the lighting, but any how, here's the print which I'm super happy with. The MX stem insert on the buttom just need some work, but I've already fixed the 3d model, so it's fixed on the future prints.
Next up is the spray painting, which I'll do tonight or tomorrow, and after that I'll figure out if that's the way to go, or if I have to try out a method with dye.

Offline juahenza

• DoSmallThingswithGreatLove
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 01:52:25 »
Apologies for the sloppy closeups, I did'nt really have time to setup the lighting, but any how, here's the print which I'm super happy with. The MX stem insert on the buttom just need some work, but I've already fixed the 3d model, so it's fixed on the future prints.
Next up is the spray painting, which I'll do tonight or tomorrow, and after that I'll figure out if that's the way to go, or if I have to try out a method with dye.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

splendid
456GT | TGR Jane CE | Dolphin v2 | Whale | 360c | LZ FE | LZ IRON | TX-CP | Varmilo VA87M | HHKB P2 | IBM SSK P.1397681| IBM Industrial SSK P.1395682 | VE.A | Realforce 87u | Datamancer Streamline TKL | Datamancer Mechinist TKL | TANK v1 | RAMA M-4 | Realforce 108UW-HIPRO

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 02:06:28 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looks very good! I can't wait to see it spray painted.

Offline Growgor

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 02:13:44 »
Thank's guys :)

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 04:35:28 »
woa didn't know you could get them so nice with 3d printing!
Good work

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 09:32:16 »
You should reallllllllllllllllllly consider naming it something else

Offline Scgmdx2

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 09:37:07 »
Do you plan on selling these to the public, or did you just design this as a one-off for your own board? :)

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
    • RoastPotatoes Keyboard Blog
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 09:52:55 »
That is awesome for a 3d print

Offline cpeterson19

• Curis Computers
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 10:13:28 »
What 3D printer was used to print this? It looks awesome!

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 11:32:18 »
Guessing you used a resin printer? looks amazing!

Offline Growgor

Re: Skull of Esc'ranium - Artisan keycap
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 11:56:42 »
Esc'hulu? but he doesnt even have tentacles? and it's kinda spelled wrong?!
I agree, what a silly name! has now been renamed to Esc'ranium  :)

Offline Growgor

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 12:00:57 »
Guessing you used a resin printer? looks amazing!

Thank's buddy! yea, it's a resin printer :)

What 3D printer was used to print this? It looks awesome!

Thank's a bunch! An expensive one...  :D

That is awesome for a 3d print

Thank's man! :)

Do you plan on selling these to the public, or did you just design this as a one-off for your own board? :)

I'm thinking about creating a bunch for sale, but I need to finish up some tests and do some more, before the quality is high enough.

You should reallllllllllllllllllly consider naming it something else

Consider it done! and thank's for the feedback  :thumb:

woa didn't know you could get them so nice with 3d printing!
Good work

Thank's alot!

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looks very good! I can't wait to see it spray painted.

Thank's man! I just finished painting it, and will add a couple of lack layers. I'll add some pictures tonight!

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 12:03:19 »
Cool looking cap for sure. I like the transparent print too. Looking forward to more pics and a future sale  :p

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 12:33:42 »
Interesting name change. I like it!

Have you considered dropping the "Skull of" portion of the name and just keeping "Esc'ranium"? Technically speaking your design is just a cranium, and not a full skull.

Offline Growgor

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 13:11:19 »
Interesting name change. I like it!

Have you considered dropping the "Skull of" portion of the name and just keeping "Esc'ranium"? Technically speaking your design is just a cranium, and not a full skull.

Third time's a charm! his name is Esc'ranium ofcause!
Thank's for the feedback :)

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
Re: Esc'ranium - Artisan keycap
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 13:20:41 »
I definitely like the name change. Looks a lot better than I was expecting!

Offline Growgor

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 14:40:33 »
Yea, lil Esc'ranium isn't all dry just yet, so gonna postpone the "photoshoot" for tomorrow morning.

Offline Growgor

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 09:13:47 »
Finally got time to take a few photos of the now painted and coated Esc'ranium.
Pretty satisfied with the final resault tbh.
Got painted three times, and also did four coats. Two full coats, and two half coats, to give it the textured feel.
Hope you guy's like it! I'll definitely make more keycaps, but as mentioned earlier, I have to optimize the process abit, to get a better result, and to get some more painting experience.
Have a nice day!

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 00:30:59 »
Finally got time to take a few photos of the now painted and coated Esc'ranium.
Pretty satisfied with the final resault tbh.
Got painted three times, and also did four coats. Two full coats, and two half coats, to give it the textured feel.
Hope you guy's like it! I'll definitely make more keycaps, but as mentioned earlier, I have to optimize the process abit, to get a better result, and to get some more painting experience.
Have a nice day!

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looks badass man, really diggin' it.

Offline dannrawr

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 12:30:55 »
awesome print bro

WTF any Bruce, Cosmonauts

Offline Growgor

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 13:53:40 »
Thank's alot lads! I'm working on a future batch for sale, with some more advanced painting.
Stay tuned, and thank's alot for all the feedback! Really appreciated!  :thumb:

Offline Otesanek

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 03:26:39 »
Skreletons are too sprooky!!

Offline Growgor

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 04:22:56 »

Any requests on the future first batch of kap designs then? something fluffy and cute? :)

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 21:38:47 »

Any requests on the future first batch of kap designs then? something fluffy and cute? :)

something egyptian would be dope, an anubis head, Eye of Ra, an egyptian cat maybe?

Offline Growgor

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 01:33:48 »

something egyptian would be dope, an anubis head, Eye of Ra, an egyptian cat maybe?

That's hereby noted.

Offline Otesanek

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 14:18:15 »
Nermal from Garfield.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Offline Suembeaux

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 04 June 2016, 19:27:15 »
These look great so far, can't wait to see what comes in the future!
A bunch of stuff. Someone teach me how to properly solder.

/u/Shartastical

Offline tom.smykowski

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 23:30:51 »
Wow! It looks amazing! Good luck with the sales!

Offline Growgor

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 00:16:32 »
Thank's guy's! I'm finishing up the the last two keycap designs, so I'm getting closer!  :thumb:

Offline Data

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 07:42:23 »
This is cool.  First "skull" type artisan that I'd consider buying/using.

Offline Growgor

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 08:05:14 »
This is cool.  First "skull" type artisan that I'd consider buying/using.

Thank's man! really appreciated! :-*

Offline Tasker

• Gizmo Bazaar
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 11:13:15 »
Awesome print growgor! Do you have your own printer or did you use a service?

Offline Growgor

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 15:35:46 »
Awesome print growgor! Do you have your own printer or did you use a service?

Thanks alot tasker! I'm using highend printning service, no way I can afford one of those printers :)

Offline Marshal

• Formerly dranzer889
  • Kō Caps
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 22:02:47 »
I want this to have trans eyes so bad you have no idea. Looks cool  :thumb:

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 18 June 2016, 02:09:50 »
That would be amazing.
Any chance of this?

Offline Growgor

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 18 June 2016, 03:53:09 »

That would be amazing.
Any chance of this?

Thank's for you're feedback guys!
Ofcause this skull will have transparent eyes, hole of the nose, and underneeth his teeths!
Anything Else would be foolish :).

Offline KlarKuo

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 09:14:51 »
Looks super nice. In for one in the future

Offline TwitchXL

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 02:04:05 »
Looks nice
Filco MJ2

Offline Growgor

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 02:08:29 »
Thank's guys, I'll keep you posted when the first batch is done.. :thumb: