Author Topic: Novatouch a.k.a. Cherry-format keycaps for Topre  (Read 4350 times)

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

Novatouch a.k.a. Cherry-format keycaps for Topre
« on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 09:39:12 »
Please be warned (and show some mercy): I'm a n00b when it comes to keycap replacements, and I will sound like one.

I've just bought the Cooler Master Novatouch, i.e. cheapest ever Topre from a gaming company, a.k.a. CM's 'purple switch'. It looks like a purple Cherry MX and is supposed to be compatible with Cherry keycaps.

I'm not impressed with the keycaps, and I want something better.

I'm not sold on whether I prefer my fingers to stick or bounce off. I like the happy zapping of vintage Blues and Model Fs (and Model M's with keycaps removed  :))), but I also like the serious-but-light-typing-kind -of feel when blues follow your fingers to rise after actuation (which produces a similar feel to sewing). I probably lean toward freeing my fingers up faster and overall faster typing.

In my case, faster and more error-free typing simply means more money, because in my job line even 90-100 wpm can be limiting sometimes. Finishing projects faster means more projects within the same time and more time windows for good deals. However, fatigue is an important factor for the same reason. Comfort obviously matters if you type practically all the time you're awake, and sometimes >24 hours straight. For the same reason I'm willing to spend more money on this than on a custom project or a collectible; we're talking about a primary work tool.

What would you guys suggest? Also: Should I look mass-produced keys from some specific place (where? used or new?) or should I skip serial production and go straight to keycapsmiths?

Typing for speed and comfort is the priority, I don't give a rat's ass about lettering (might as well go ninja) as long as it isn't tiring on the eyes, doesn't unnecessarily divert attention at work etc.

Offline need

Re: Novatouch a.k.a. Cherry-format keycaps for Topre
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 09:41:49 »
Harvesting cherry g80 boards might be an option ?

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 10:06:11 »
Harvesting cherry g80 boards might be an option ?

It would be. Them good enough or is there something better to hold out for?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 10:23:41 »
I'm a big fan of Leopold's thick pbt caps you can find them from eBay seller wide basket, the ones I have are black with side print lettering

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 10:34:50 »
Anything that's particularly suited for Topre? (While still compatible with MX.)

Offline need

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 10:48:22 »
Cherry PBT double-shot caps are thick and low profile, in my opinion pretty well suited to the "thock" that you get with Topre (feel and sound).

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 11:35:36 »
Don't call this topre please
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 12:00:34 »
Don't call this topre please

Dat bad?

Offline HP_Jornada

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 19:55:56 »
What line of work are you in?  (Sounds similar to mine).  Is it pure prose, or more data entry?  This is all slightly off-topic, but I'm curious because we are both likely chasing the same solution.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 21:51:55 »
Although keycaps will have a slight impact on typing feel and comfort, the actual switches are more likely to impact how quickly and for how long you can type.

This is also very subjective - some people prefer lightly textured Cherry profile PBT, while others prefer smooth, spherical, uniform profile SA keycaps.

It will probably come down to what you are accustomed to, and the more you are accustomed to it the less adjustment you will need to make when you alter the configuration.

The keycaps on a Novatouch are necessarily not the best as CM has focussed on getting the keyboard out, with the general expectation that most keyboard enthusiasts will swap keycaps out anyway.

Novatouch is AFAIK standard layout, so almost any standard keycap set should fit.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 22:07:43 »

In my case, faster and more error-free typing simply means more money, because in my job line even 90-100 wpm can be limiting sometimes. Finishing projects faster means more projects within the same time and more time windows for good deals. However, fatigue is an important factor for the same reason. Comfort obviously matters if you type practically all the time you're awake, and sometimes >24 hours straight. For the same reason I'm willing to spend more money on this than on a custom project or a collectible; we're talking about a primary work tool.

What would you guys suggest? Also: Should I look mass-produced keys from some specific place (where? used or new?) or should I skip serial production and go straight to keycapsmiths?

Just to reiterate what some have said here.  Key caps material makes very little difference when it comes to long term comfort and speed.  It mostly comes down to either aesthetics, preference in how the caps feel on the finger tips, and how fast they will shine.  ABS will shine the quickest with PBT taking the longest.  This is all very subjective as the length of time it takes to shine has a large amount to do with how much you type, cleanliness of your hands when you type, and your own body's chemistry.

Cap profile can make some difference but still relatively little difference when compared to switches for the aspects you are most concerned with, long term comfort and speed. 

If these are the two most valuable factors, the biggest things that will play into it is going to be ergonomics.  After this, it pretty much all comes down to personal preference.  There is no way anyone can predict what you will like or not like.  Also, no one switch or style of switch will make you a faster more accurate typist, just what you are the most comfortable on.  This even may or may not translate into WPM, typing accuracy, or comfort. 

I have seen people here state (anecdotal evidence here) that they much preferred the comfort of X switch, but consistently get better WPM more accurately with Y switch even though they hate the feel of that switch.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 15:36:07 »
What line of work are you in?  (Sounds similar to mine).  Is it pure prose, or more data entry?  This is all slightly off-topic, but I'm curious because we are both likely chasing the same solution.

Translation except when I go back to being a lawyer for a brief time or blog on the side. More blogging than lawyering these days.

Novatouch is AFAIK standard layout, so almost any standard keycap set should fit.

I could pull the caps out of my Majestouch 1 TKL, and they would fit, and I like them, but I don't want to do something like that to my trusted keyboard whose only fault is I bought a new one. I wouldn't be able to get myself to do it. I'd much sooner fork out the cash for the exact same set from TheKeyboardCo. This said, I could probably pull out just a couple of keys to test it first.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 May 2016, 15:41:41 by NewbieOneKenobi »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 16:08:25 »
There's no substitute for trying anything switch or keycap related yourself so give the majestouch caps a go.  I guess they're stock ABS caps in OEM profile?

From your signature you also have a Cherry board so you can try them out too (same profile as GMK and Gateron caps) the letters will fit if not the bottom row.  Are they dyesubbed PBT or doubleshot (ABS)? 
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 16:25:26 »
Cherry profile will bottom out on the switch housing, I've found. Leopold keycaps may not, as they use a slightly different profile that's close to cherry but ever so slightly taller.  I mean to try them someday but haven't yet--I hear they're top quality and the price is very good. OEM profile will definitely not bottom out so you can use any of those.

Currently I use SA profile which is tall, spherical top, super thick ABS. Takes a little getting used to, but my fingers glide across the keyboard with ease now and I quite like the feel. They're probably the hardest sets to get ahold of, though, because they're almost all custom made in group buys, and quite expensive.

Personally I'd recommend starting with either Leopolds or some high quality thick PBT caps in OEM profile. SA is quite a change if you type for a living, but you never know.

And while you're at it, add some silencing rings to that Novatouch ;)