Author Topic: The SpaceFN layout: trying to end keyboard inflation  (Read 250147 times)

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
Re: The SpaceFN layout: trying to end keyboard inflation
« Reply #200 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 17:58:30 »
@Hasu: done!
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 February 2015, 18:03:37 by spiceBar »

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #201 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 17:59:53 »
(deleted)
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 February 2015, 18:01:26 by spiceBar »

Offline spdx

« Reply #202 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 23:43:43 »
Anyone has lagging issue with TouchCursor?

Offline Lunatique

• Writer, Composer, Artist, Photographer, Gamer
« Reply #203 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 01:55:37 »
Anyone has lagging issue with TouchCursor?

Not on my end (Win 8.1, 64 bit). It is far more stable than AutoHotkey. I did have some issues with it not remembering my custom hotkeys at first, but then the problem went away, so I assume it was due to some other issues I was having with my computer.

Offline JaydrVernanda

« Reply #204 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 15:04:09 »
Thank you SO much for recommending TouchCursor. The SpaceFN AHK script would permanently activate the FN layer sometimes and it drove me nuts.

Offline mecano

« Reply #205 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 07:15:05 »
Hello sorry if this has been already posted I did only read the 4 first pages and posts are pretty longs.
I don't get the escape remapping as a lot of posters look like using vi/vim.
In vim control+[ gives escape, control+j gives enter and control+h gives backspace.
So I mapped these system wide as well.

For cursor movements I'm using jkl; instead of hjkl, you only have to remap l to h and ; to l
Code: [Select]
noremap ; l                                                                                                                     
noremap l h
I find it more logical, I won't leave the home row and have remap space+ jkl; to arrows system wide.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #206 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 16:46:04 »
Hello sorry if this has been already posted I did only read the 4 first pages and posts are pretty longs.
In vim control+[ gives escape, control+j gives enter and control+h gives backspace.

For cursor movements I'm using jkl; instead of hjkl, you only have to remap l to h and ; to l
noremap ; l                                                                                                                     
noremap l h
I find it more logical, I won't leave the home row and have remap space+ jkl; to arrows system wide.

You are now completely off topic in this thread.

You should start a new thread about VIM if you want to discuss this further.

Offline mecano

« Reply #207 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 05:12:06 »

noremap ; l                                                                                                                     
noremap l h

You are now completely off topic in this thread.

You should start a new thread about VIM if you want to discuss this further.

Am I? Well sorry then.
I am using a space layer since I saw Shane's great Planck video.
Space layer is really great and getting rid of one trick pony keys to combine them with modifiers when possible is even better.
My post was less about vim than remapping already existing solutions in some particular situations but hey whatever.

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #208 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 11:52:02 »
I've been trying this out for the last week or two and really like it. It was a little off with autohotkey, but I installed touchcursor and it seems to be working great in that.

Are there any non-custom, standard ansi layout 60% boards that can run it in hardware? I'd love a fully programmable board, but I'm not sure I'm capable of soldering the cheaper options or the expense of some type of custom korean board. Are there any standard boards that can have their bios flashed to support it?

Offline mecano

« Reply #209 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 15:14:16 »
I've been trying this out for the last week or two and really like it. It was a little off with autohotkey, but I installed touchcursor and it seems to be working great in that.

Are there any non-custom, standard ansi layout 60% boards that can run it in hardware? I'd love a fully programmable board, but I'm not sure I'm capable of soldering the cheaper options or the expense of some type of custom korean board. Are there any standard boards that can have their bios flashed to support it?

That's the way I'm heading (hardware) but took the custom build path (I want 13/15 keys per only 4 rows in total).
I am now using a combination of hardware/software (kbt pure pro programmable alternate layer+Karabiner, osx autohotkey equivalent I guess) but it's less than perfect.
To answer to your question, did you look at ctrl-alt and ortholinear web sites ? They provide built solutions and have fully programmable multi layer keyboards.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #210 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 02:05:49 »
There is a hardware solution, and it has been discussed in this thread.

SpaceFN can be easily implemented as a firmware for Hasu's PS/2->USB converter.

Here is a picture of a Poker X with Hasu's converter:

97280-0

The converter translate what the keyboard sends, and sends that to the USB plug. This act as a kind of TouchCursor inside the converter, so you can plug the keyboard+converter into any computer without having to install anything on the computer.

The firmware in Hasu's converter is 100% programmable, and SpaceFN is just one of the options available.

Unfortunately, this solution works only if your keyboard is PS/2 compatible (if it can be plugged into a PS/2 port and works, plugging it directly or thru a passive PS/2 to USB adapter). But most 60% keyboards are not compatible with PS/2. The only ones I know are the Poker X (first version of the Poker), and it's not produced anymore, and the Pure (NOT the Pure Pro) which is becoming hard to find.

It is however rather easy to find a full size or TKL keyboard that is PS/2 compatible.

The other solution is the GH60, which is 100% programmable and can run Hasu's firmware, or the Infinity keyboard that was recently on MassDrop (but this drop has already ended).

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #211 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 11:38:03 »
mecano, it looks like ortholinear only offers the planck. It's a great looking design, but not exactly what I'm looking for right now.

spicebar, that's probably what I'll end up doing. It looks like hasu is working on a usb-usb converter. If he offers built versions of that for sale I'll probably end up going with it.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #212 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 14:54:32 »
mecano, it looks like ortholinear only offers the planck. It's a great looking design, but not exactly what I'm looking for right now.

spicebar, that's probably what I'll end up doing. It looks like hasu is working on a usb-usb converter. If he offers built versions of that for sale I'll probably end up going with it.

Really? USB-USB? That's great, I had missed that.

I had purchased an Arduino to do this, but did not find the time to work on it. If Hasu has already built a solution, that's perfect.

Do you have a link? Thank you in advance.

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #213 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 15:10:19 »
I found a post here https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69169.0

If he gets that working I think it would probably be just about perfect.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #214 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 23:28:20 »
I found a post here https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69169.0

If he gets that working I think it would probably be just about perfect.

Thank you for pointing this out.

Yes, it would be perfect. If Hasu doesn't provide SpaceFN out of the box, I'll work on providing it.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #215 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 15:43:27 »
TouchCursor is an awesome piece of software, it is simple, it is effective. Thank you for sharing.

Offline SeeThruHead

« Reply #216 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 13:31:50 »
So I've just received an HHKB and since there is no left control to map to hyper i've had to use spaceFN to map HJKL to the arrow keys.

I'm having some issues with the initial modifier wait and wanted to see if anyone has any ideas on how i can fix this.

I have left and right shifit mapped to left and right parens when pressed alone, but the initial modifer wait is causing those to fire parens whenver I type a shifted character. I tried setting the ms wait down to 0 (and then slowly increased it) but that is causing me to lose a lot of spaces when typing quickly, has anyone else figured out a way to overcome this?

Painted QFR          Poker 2

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #217 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 11:40:48 »
I tried running the provided ahk script and get this error:

Error at line 19.

Line Text: #Include <dual/dual>
Error: Function library not found.

The program will exit.
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #218 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 11:47:00 »
I tried running the provided ahk script and get this error:

Error at line 19.

Line Text: #Include <dual/dual>
Error: Function library not found.

The program will exit.

Make sure that you also download Dual. Is should be linked from that same github page. I checked my setup and it looks like there should be a \lib\dual\ folder under the folder where the main script is located. Extract the contents of the dual file to that folder.

Offline Lunatique

« Reply #219 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 12:28:43 »
To anyone who's currently using AHK or thinking about trying it, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you instead use TouchCursor, and only use AHK if for whatever reasons TouchCursor doesn't work for you. TouchCursor is far more stable and intuitive and easy to use than AHK, and it is configured to match SpaceFN's layout very closely by default. Changing the layout is extremely easy and quick, and it pretty much never crashes or glitches (at least that's my experience, and I know others have had the same positive experience). The same cannot be said of AHK.

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #220 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 12:41:14 »
To anyone who's currently using AHK or thinking about trying it, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you instead use TouchCursor, and only use AHK if for whatever reasons TouchCursor doesn't work for you. TouchCursor is far more stable and intuitive and easy to use than AHK, and it is configured to match SpaceFN's layout very closely by default. Changing the layout is extremely easy and quick, and it pretty much never crashes or glitches (at least that's my experience, and I know others have had the same positive experience). The same cannot be said of AHK.

Strongly agree. AHK is much more powerful and configurable, but I had issues with space not working right by itself and with it getting stuck "down" as a modifier. TouchCursor has worked great. It's also much simpler to setup.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #221 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 14:59:53 »
Just installed touch cursor, it's amazing, really excited to see if I'll be able to stick to these new changes :)

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #222 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 05:18:10 »
Is it possible to do something similar to this in touchcursor/ahk.  Use capslock as a double key.  If tapped it's backspace.  If it's held its ctrl.

capslock UP:: send {backspace}
Capslock::ctrl

But it's really troublesome for example when i do ctrl+a it also deletes everything :P.  Do i need some latency or something?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #223 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 07:11:33 »
Just installed touch cursor, it's amazing, really excited to see if I'll be able to stick to these new changes :)

Touchcursor is really useful, now I really do not need dedicated arrows. My main restriction was the use of chorded commands in Excel, but with touchcursor it is totally possible.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #224 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 22:29:40 »
There is a hardware solution, and it has been discussed in this thread.

SpaceFN can be easily implemented as a firmware for Hasu's PS/2->USB converter.

Here is a picture of a Poker X with Hasu's converter:

(Attachment Link)

The converter translate what the keyboard sends, and sends that to the USB plug. This act as a kind of TouchCursor inside the converter, so you can plug the keyboard+converter into any computer without having to install anything on the computer.

The firmware in Hasu's converter is 100% programmable, and SpaceFN is just one of the options available.

Unfortunately, this solution works only if your keyboard is PS/2 compatible (if it can be plugged into a PS/2 port and works, plugging it directly or thru a passive PS/2 to USB adapter). But most 60% keyboards are not compatible with PS/2. The only ones I know are the Poker X (first version of the Poker), and it's not produced anymore, and the Pure (NOT the Pure Pro) which is becoming hard to find.

It is however rather easy to find a full size or TKL keyboard that is PS/2 compatible.

The other solution is the GH60, which is 100% programmable and can run Hasu's firmware, or the Infinity keyboard that was recently on MassDrop (but this drop has already ended).

356 Mini's also  :D this might be a better option than trying to implement SpaceFn through ps2avr on the board itself.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #225 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 02:52:45 »
Looking forward to try it once I received my b.face PCB. :D

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #226 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 16:53:34 »
The Infinity is back on Massdrop and they have a prebuilt option this time. I really want a standard ansi 60% layout for key compatibility, but that's tempting. Any issues using spacefn with the infinity?

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #227 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 17:36:55 »
The Infinity is back on Massdrop and they have a prebuilt option this time. I really want a standard ansi 60% layout for key compatibility, but that's tempting. Any issues using spacefn with the infinity?

I don't know much the infinity but I don't see why would be a problem with SpaceFn. As long as you can remap the Fn key with your PCB you should be alright.

Offline Zukoi

• ****posting at 90wpm
« Reply #228 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 00:03:32 »

I don't know much the infinity but I don't see why would be a problem with SpaceFn. As long as you can remap the Fn key with your PCB you should be alright.
Well remapping fn to space isn't the end of the story. You need to have taping for space abilities too.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #229 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 08:20:56 »

Well remapping fn to space isn't the end of the story. You need to have taping for space abilities too.

What do you mean by taping?

Offline Zukoi

• ****posting at 90wpm
« Reply #230 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 08:24:03 »

I think I mistyped and meant tapping. Since the fn is the space bar, you need the ability to quickly type the space character, so the idea is to tap to type space and hold for fn, otherwise you need to do a two finger operation to type space.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #231 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 09:16:10 »

I think I mistyped and meant tapping. Since the fn is the space bar, you need the ability to quickly type the space character, so the idea is to tap to type space and hold for fn, otherwise you need to do a two finger operation to type space.

I think that's the way SpaceFn is designed actually. Hold space in order to use the Fn key. However you lose the repeated space character so it has to be binded to somewhere else and I think he mapped it to the Fn + B.

Offline Zukoi

• ****posting at 90wpm
« Reply #232 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 10:19:36 »

I think that's the way SpaceFn is designed actually. Hold space in order to use the Fn key. However you lose the repeated space character so it has to be binded to somewhere else and I think he mapped it to the Fn + B.
It is. Quite a clever design which is why I plan to program my keyboard around it.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #233 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 14:45:17 »

It is. Quite a clever design which is why I plan to program my keyboard around it.
Yeah that's definitely a really nice layout. It seems to be really cool I'd you touch type. I haven't tried it yet but I soon will.

Offline joric

« Reply #234 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 19:23:44 »
Tried SpaceFN with AHK on windows 8 (spacefn-win.ahk + dual lib). Alt+Tab stopped working completely. Is it a known bug? How to fix?

Upd: tried TouchCursor, problem went away, seems nicer than AHK.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 May 2015, 20:10:15 by joric »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #235 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 20:28:38 »
Tried SpaceFN with AHK on windows 8 (spacefn-win.ahk + dual lib). Alt+Tab stopped working completely. Is it a known bug? How to fix?

Upd: tried TouchCursor, problem went away, seems nicer than AHK.

AHK is a general scripting program, that is very good if there is no other option, in this case TC comes handy as it is dedicated for this problem.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #236 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 21:43:53 »
Anyone getting this happen:  accidentally hit a space shortcut in normal use?

Offline Lunatique

« Reply #237 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 22:20:15 »

I find that it almost never happens with the shortcuts I've setup for my right hand, but for my left hand, it happens a lot (I've mapped the various shift-activated selection macros to the left had, to select one word at a time, or one character at a time). What happens is often I'll accidentally select entire sentences or paragraph with the left hand shortcuts and then when I hit enter, they'll get deleted. It's not a huge problem since whenever it happens, I just undo and I'm right back to where I was. It's a little annoying, and I've been thinking I should stop using the left hand shortcuts. As for the right hand shortcuts of just arrow keys, home/end, pg up/down, ctrl+backspace, ctrl+delete, ctrl+arrow keys, etc, they never get activated accidentally.

Offline gosinger

« Reply #238 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 19:25:14 »
Just wired up my first Teensy 2.0 plus hasu's great TMK firmware with space-FN layout, so far I'm pretty happy - great job, for both function, design and implementation to all those involved :)
Bolt-modded 1391403 | Ducky Shine 3 slim (MX-blue)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #239 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 20:47:18 »

No. It never happens in my case. Actually, I wonder how it could a space shortcut to get activated by accident. Maybe you fingers synchronization is overlapping with thumbs on space bar. I use the right thumb to type space almost always.

Offline joc

« Reply #240 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 21:34:43 »
I'm using a "shift-activated" version of the SpaceFn idea to allow the space bar to function as normally as possible; the space bar activates on press and repeats on hold as usual. With a shift-activated SpaceFn, one shift key needs to be initially held down for the space bar to activate the Fn layer. The Fn layer remains activated as long as the space bar is held down - the initially held down shift key does not need to remain held down for the Fn layer to remain activated. This is how I have it set up:
  • Pressing and holding Space, with one Shift initially held down, activates the Fn layer
  • Pressing and holding Esc sends Ctrl
  • Pressing and holding Enter sends Ctrl
  • Simultaneously pressing and releasing both Shifts sends Caps Lock
Base layout:
103377-0

Fn layout:
103379-1

A shift-activated SpaceFn requires a little more effort to activate the Fn layer and you have to rely on the the Fn layer if you want the keyboard to send Shift+Space, but I think it's a worthwhile compromise to be able to use the space bar as an Fn key and allow it to function as normally as possible. I've been using a shift-activated SpaceFn for a while now and I found it easy to learn and adjust to.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 June 2015, 21:54:57 by joc »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #241 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 22:35:34 »
I'm using a "shift-activated" version of the SpaceFn idea to allow the space bar to function as normally as possible...

A shift-activated SpaceFn requires a little more effort to activate the Fn layer and you have to rely on the the Fn layer if you want the keyboard to send Shift+Space, but I think it's a worthwhile compromise to be able to use the space bar as an Fn key and allow it to function as normally as possible. I've been using a shift-activated SpaceFn for a while now and I found it easy to learn and adjust to.

It is an interesting idea; however, it sounds overcomplicated, while the original space-Fn spirit is simplicity.

Offline joc

« Reply #242 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 00:00:49 »
It is an interesting idea; however, it sounds overcomplicated, while the original space-Fn spirit is simplicity.

I agree that the simplicity of using the original SpaceFn to access the Fn layer can't be beat. My alternative is for anyone who likes the idea of SpaceFn but wants the space bar to activate on press and repeat on hold, and doesn't mind temporarily pressing a extra key (Shift+Space) to activate the Fn layer.

Also, I forgot to mention that LeftShift+Space and RightShift+Space can potentially be used to activate different layers which might be useful.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #243 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 00:19:09 »

I agree that the simplicity of using the original SpaceFn to access the Fn layer can't be beat. My alternative is for anyone who likes the idea of SpaceFn but wants the space bar to activate on press and repeat on hold, and doesn't mind temporarily pressing a extra key (Shift+Space) to activate the Fn layer.

Also, I forgot to mention that LeftShift+Space and RightShift+Space can potentially be used to activate different layers which might be useful.

I can see your point; and, sometimes I also miss the full space bar functionality, however, in my case, the advantages overcome the compromises. I am now using for the very first time a keyboard with no dedicated cursor arrows, without the need to remap some keys to have them in the first layer.

Offline colomb

« Reply #244 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 00:37:55 »
Just a quick word to say thank you for the karabiner script. A coworker introduced me to SpaceFn and I've been eager to try it at home. Luckily I have been using karabiner to remap some other stuff. Now, to dial in the initial modifier wait and the timeout...

Offline orihalcon

« Reply #245 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 17:50:37 »
Is there a way to test the SpaceFN layout with only a Soarer's Converter?

Not sure if it can be programmed that way since a function key usually can't output data alone when it is tapped vs held down AFAIK.  Am hoping that I'm wrong.  A lot of vintage boards don't have keys on either side of the spacebar and this would be an awesome way to solve that problem.

Offline joc

« Reply #246 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 19:54:58 »
Is there a way to test the SpaceFN layout with only a Soarer's Converter?

Not sure if it can be programmed that way since a function key usually can't output data alone when it is tapped vs held down AFAIK.  Am hoping that I'm wrong.  A lot of vintage boards don't have keys on either side of the spacebar and this would be an awesome way to solve that problem.

It's not possible to implement SpaceFn via Soarer's configuration file - it would require a firmware modification and the firmware's not available. This is what Soarer had to say about dual-role keys.

As an alternative, I have a modified version of xwhatsit's controller firmware that includes SpaceFn. I can upload it here if you want to try it out.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #247 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 23:53:26 »
Hey all, just chiming in that I recently started using SpaceFN and I think it makes a lot of sense. I'm using it on a 60% custom board I built using hasu's Alps PCB and nubbinator's AEKII 60% plate, both from recent group buys. In fact, I like the layout I'm using on that board so much, I switched both of my Infinities to use a ported version of the same layout. Even though the Infinities have dedicated function keys, I still end up using the spacebar most of the time.

The one addition I made was actually hasu's idea from his default config, and that was to set up the Enter key as a function modifier as well. This is a more natural reach for anyone who's used to that HHKB Fn button next to Right Shift. Anyway, after about a week typing on the AEKII 60%, I find myself almost exclusively using Enter or Space to access my function layer.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #248 on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 04:38:17 »
Hey all, just chiming in that I recently started using SpaceFN and I think it makes a lot of sense. I'm using it on a 60% custom board I built using hasu's Alps PCB and nubbinator's AEKII 60% plate, both from recent group buys. In fact, I like the layout I'm using on that board so much, I switched both of my Infinities to use a ported version of the same layout. Even though the Infinities have dedicated function keys, I still end up using the spacebar most of the time.

The one addition I made was actually hasu's idea from his default config, and that was to set up the Enter key as a function modifier as well. This is a more natural reach for anyone who's used to that HHKB Fn button next to Right Shift. Anyway, after about a week typing on the AEKII 60%, I find myself almost exclusively using Enter or Space to access my function layer.

Looking forward to have my custom to put SpaceFn on!

Offline aklt

« Reply #249 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 12:30:55 »
Regarding the Linux version of SpaceFn:

Ideally I would like a loadable kernel module to handle the SpaceFn functionality and I am assuming something
to do this might exist, but I have not been lucky in my googling.

The reason I would like a kernel module for this is that I want to be able to use the same layout in X11 and
in the console. I have had a look at some modules handling keyboard input but I am no Kernel hacker.

Does anyone with more knowledge than me know if this would be a reasonable task?  I know there may
be differences between USB and PS2 keyboards that may complicate things, but I have no clue about the
details...