Author Topic: '92 Model M (missing a cable)  (Read 12934 times)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
'92 Model M (missing a cable)
« on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 16:10:39 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-MODEL-M-KEYBOARD-CLICKY-CLICKEY-1992-BLUE-LOGO-UNTESTED-NO-CORD-1397721-/321034219700?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item4abf2170b4

$38 US after shipping.

More than likely this thing works perfectly (how often do you hear about Model M's breaking?), so it's one hell of a steal if you're up to replacing the cable.

*link fixed*
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 December 2012, 16:26:24 by daerid »

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
Re: '92 Model M (missing a cable)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 16:20:13 »
Listing removed already. :(
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 16:26:40 »
Oops! Bad link, fixed!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 18:28:12 »
as a plus, it's got the nice green ALT keycaps, but (as a minus) it's missing L CTRL.

Luckily SDL cables are pretty cheap. Someone please buy it instead of bidding :P

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 06:33:06 »
I don't know, getting a cable, shipped, is probably going to cost you $12, or $25 if you get one of orihalcon's USB cables.

Have Model M prices really risen to the point that this has become a "good deal"?

If so, I might have a couple that I would consider selling @ $50 shipped, including cable.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15 April 2022, 01:25:48 »
I know this is an old thread (older than I've been here!)... But I'm laughing because this Model M in question was apparently a p/n 1397721, one of a small number with the Wang logo instead of IBM's.

(Image courtesy of ClickyKeyboards.com)

They're exceedingly rare. Wang's founder hated IBM. It was only after he died, and when their own computers were doing poorly, that they made a deal in June, 1991 to resell rebranded IBM products. Which they got from IBM in exchange for company stock—not IBM's greatest idea, it turned out. Wang went went bankrupt two months later, and all unsold IBM-branded Wang hardware was destroyed (source: Wikipedia's Wang Labs page).

So the only 1397721's out there are from the very small number of Wang-rebranded IBM PCs people bought during that brief and obviously unsuccessful period. If you Google the part number, you'll get only a handful of results (including this thread, and ClickKeyboards' page with that image).

So... Yes, I certainly would've considered this a "good deal", am am sorry I didn't know about GH or Model M's till several years later [shrug].

Now you know, too: If you spot a 1397721, grab it!
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline FractalOne

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 05 June 2022, 15:45:27 »
interesting lol