Author Topic: Good white paint?  (Read 3730 times)

Offline Silit

Good white paint?
« on: Sun, 22 July 2012, 19:00:32 »
Long story short, I'm going to get some white keycaps (probably otaku or engraved) for my CM Storm Red, so the logos and crap look less intrusive.

I want to paint the stock keys with the LED windows as well, so I can keep the LEDs (I'll tape over the window before I paint them, obviously).

Does anyone know of a good set of keycaps that match a certain white paint? I'm sure someone's tried something similar in the past.

Thanks.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Re: Good white paint?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 22 July 2012, 20:09:13 »
Don't ever paint your keycaps. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth when they start to wear, and they will wear.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Rafen

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 22 July 2012, 20:17:56 »
You could just order an all white set from WASD keyboards and this would save you time and frustration.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 22 July 2012, 20:43:33 »
Oh, meant to add - if you do go with white ABS keycaps the lights will show through just fine without needing a window.

And please don't call blanks 'otaku' :P
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 22 July 2012, 21:19:25 »
I think silit meant do we know of a good set of caps that will match the paint he's using to paint the case. I'd reccomend getting any good set of caps and then going to a hobby/craft store to find a good match for the paint. You could also do a vinal wrap around the board which would last a long time and look good.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 11:51:01 »
Krylon Fusion flat white is very white.
If you look at my pic here you'll see my g9x mouse casing is painted white with Krylon Fusion. The keycaps on the CM Storm in the back are white PBT. I have since painted the g9x pink, so this is the best color comparison I can show you:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33167.msg625490#msg625490

Rustoleum's plastic paint (especially the white satin) is more off-white.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Silit

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 25 July 2012, 22:14:22 »
Thanks for the responses. Your guide was also very helpful, absyrd.