Author Topic: Adventures in keycapping with Soup  (Read 4171 times)

Offline shhbbyisok

Adventures in keycapping with Soup
« on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 00:40:58 »
Disclaimer all picture where taken with my crap phone, sorry

So about a month ago i decided to start making keycaps. Going into it pretty much blind on the experience side i watched a video or two about casting action figures and small models and took a trip to the Art Store.
my make shift work area i cramped into my room  right before beginning

The first few series i stuck to casting blanks instead of the sculpts i was working on and was working with a DIY silicone mix, single piece molds and cups for my mold boxes. This lead to some problems real quick, including not getting the mixture right for the silicone to set full and issues with casting the actual stem for the cap. Here are a few of the survivors of those attempts.

Realizing mixing my own silicone would be a long trial and error process to find the right recipe, I opted to order some professional pour-able silicone online. With a few days to wait and my impatience showing its full glory i decided to work out some kinks of the previous process with polymer clay as a mold material for actual casting. Using the polymer brought the realization that a two piece mold was going to be the best way to control color position and also helped choose the positions for the spruces. Many "z grade"s were made during this process haha
Heres the first polymer clay mold right before the first casting
A timeline of the polymer molds, staring with the one from the previous pic cut in half and going clockwise
Good amount of the polymer casts together, timeline progress is left to right

The silicone arrived, i was excited as **** and feeling pretty confident so i ended up using all of the order in about a day and ended up with two keys encased, 5 top molds for artisans, 4 for blanks and bottom molds for only 3 of them. The stems on the 3 bottoms i had made weren't the best for getting the resin down in it so i was pretty much stuck to playing with different colors in the resin and trying mostly unsuccessfully to jam the stem full. Not the best planning but i did have something to work with while waiting on my second order of silicone.
During the first silicone pour sesh
Many Rastamons colors were tried
another rastamon shot that has some topres in the shot
Using the last scraps of silicone form this order i recasted stem a few times for the rastamon, this is the first successful one to come out

Second order took some time to get to me due to the holidays, so while making different colorways for the Rastamon was fun a Christmas gift lead me to a art store i hadn't tried and discovered a small package of pour-able silicone to continue my keycrafting efforts

I found that this new silicone was way closer to water in viscostiy than my other stuff when pouring and with a few jabs of my small brush the stems would fill right up. I got 4 full molds and 2 more bottoms made. Very happy with how these new molds were casting I cranked out about 70 more "alphas"
container of z grades
good chunk of blanks in different colorways and stages of development
12 different "KB fats" the back row was the most recent, with very clean lines and the double shotting
10 alphas of the smoker logo, these were a little ruff and i will be redoing the lining
Had to make a skull of my own, then a few more "
*pictures removed*

Thats about where i am right now, Currently waiting on my third order of silicone from the internet with this new stuff having a higher viscosity similar to what i found at the store in tiny amounts. I also recieved my buckling spring cap and switch plus my alps switches (no caps) so once i have the new order of silicone i be able to cast all the artisans in MX, Topre, Buckling Spring and eventually Alps

glory shot of my current stem selection

Heres my keycap desk currently, have 8 molds curing right now all of which im pretty proud of, will be updating with pics as soon as i pop out the first castings

« Last Edit: Thu, 07 January 2016, 17:06:40 by shhbbyisok »
https://www.instagram.com/el_soupo/
Steam - Long-pig Jerky

k70 - MX browns - RGB led - clear caps
poseidon zx - Kahil blues - Blue led - stock caps

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
Re: Adventures in keycapping with Soup
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 01:18:10 »
I'm all about you making caps, it's great that more and more people try to get involved but I still don't agree with you making those copycat clacks even if you're going to keep them for yourself. There are several people that would be more than glad to help out but I just don't think it's right copying another artisan's caps since there has already been problems with copycats out there. Keep up the good work with your original designs though.

Edit: Not trying to thread crap, I understand I may have come off a bit rude but I just don't want you getting **** for copying caps, since K3KC has received nothing but hate(which I understand) but that's also because he's selling them for profit. I dig the caps though. :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 January 2016, 01:38:52 by Steezus »
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 01:36:39 »
You're getting there bro! Keep it up

Offline shhbbyisok

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 02:01:17 »
I'm all about you making caps, it's great that more and more people try to get involved but I still don't agree with you making those copycat clacks even if you're going to keep them for yourself. There are several people that would be more than glad to help out but I just don't think it's right copying another artisan's caps since there has already been problems with copycats out there. Keep up the good work with your original designs though.

Edit: Not trying to thread crap, I understand I may have come off a bit rude but I just don't want you getting **** for copying caps, since K3KC has received nothing but hate(which I understand) but that's also because he's selling them for profit. I dig the caps though. :thumb:

Its totally cool man, i can definitely understand your opinion on remaking the Clacks especially with the controversy surrounding k3kc's knockoffs (something i dont approve of myself) and believe me i thought long before even adding the picture (which if anyone wants i will take down np)

The reason i left it in with the disclaimer about not letting any of them get into anyone elses hand (free or other wise) was because they have been a huge part of my learning experience (Clack made an amazing cap on a design, lining and layering stand point) and felt they should be included if anything out of respect for his design moving me forward in the processe. On a side note i dont plan on casting anymore of them, learned all i could and am working on getting my own designs perfected now

But yeah, just to reiterate if anyone is unhappy i will take the pic down asap

You're getting there bro! Keep it up

Thanks, hoping the next series will be cleanest yet. Next update should include around 5 very polished artisan designs, im excited!
Steam - Long-pig Jerky

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 11:27:10 »
No worries man, keep up the good work. I understand you're just using for practice, I don't really a problem in that sense, hopefully others as well just make sure none of them don't appear on eBay(as you already stated you wouldn't). Best of luck. :p
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 11:39:12 »
Totally digging those Fatcap-Caps!

After being an active writer for years, Im really in love with this idea!
If there will ever be a sale coming up im super down for one dude!  ;)

Made some first castings tests myself (first cast is actually curing atm)
so I can really appreciate the work that has gone into this.
Also fun fact: just realized Im using the very same triton scale... o=

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 11:40:35 »
Dude the fatcap caps are killer, definitely need those in my life!

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 11:47:04 »
I cranked out about 70 more

Jesus man, how many molds do you have?

Offline shhbbyisok

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 18:21:15 »
Totally digging those Fatcap-Caps!

After being an active writer for years, Im really in love with this idea!
If there will ever be a sale coming up im super down for one dude!  ;)

Made some first castings tests myself (first cast is actually curing atm)
so I can really appreciate the work that has gone into this.
Also fun fact: just realized Im using the very same triton scale... o=

Hell yea! the KB Fats are probley my favorite so far, was also a writer for 10+ years so it was one of the first ideas to come around, working on a banna slim and german level five as well! The Fats are def gonna be one of the first four im going into production with tho haven't decided if i wanna do a give away before an actual sale. Any suggestions for colorways?

Trinton team for life! i have two t2s i use daily and a t3 sitting around here somewhere lmao

Dude the fatcap caps are killer, definitely need those in my life!

Hell yea , awesome to see some interest! Check my reply to FoC_Tow for info on their release

Jesus man, how many molds do you have?

Haha, around 16 silicone that are useable (couple that weren't good or failed while casting) prob went thru 20 polymer molds and like 6 DIY silicone molds i made orginally

Here a preview of 3 alpha scuplts i havent posted yet in banana (once again warning potato quiality pictures, will be upgrade camera soon)

Steam - Long-pig Jerky

Offline shhbbyisok

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 20:26:13 »
One more quick update cause i really like how the triple on this one came out

Really liking how this alpha came out, will be sanding it down tonight for smoothness then making it's production mold tonight/tomorrow along with a few others, including the KB fats! Still have a few other alpha sculpts in line to get worked on so ill prob have those finishing up as these are ready for demolding
Steam - Long-pig Jerky

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 20:54:57 »
Man that fat cap is sweet. It has been a very long time but I still have a 'lucky' fat cap. Has a back story and everything. I rekon a transparent one would look sick.

122811-0

Offline shhbbyisok

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 22:31:52 »
Man that fat cap is sweet. It has been a very long time but I still have a 'lucky' fat cap. Has a back story and everything. I rekon a transparent one would look sick.

(Attachment Link)
Noice !, definally looks like it has been thru a few cans haha Transparent would be pretty sick and i am liking the color scheme on your board , has me leaning towards a Clear red / solid black colorway
Steam - Long-pig Jerky

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 22:48:59 »

(Attachment Link)
Noice !, definally looks like it has been thru a few cans haha Transparent would be pretty sick and i am liking the color scheme on your board , has me leaning towards a Clear red / solid black colorway

That would look pretty good. Just remember you can never go wrong with purple tho  :thumb:

Offline shhbbyisok

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 19:08:10 »

That would look pretty good. Just remember you can never go wrong with purple tho  :thumb:

Decided to do a few sets of purple trying out different types tel me what you think

Side not i am in the process of finding a new clear material to cast in due to it pouring not quite how i want

Light purple soild in front, dark purple clear in middle and light purple clear in the back

Dark purple detail

light purple detail

Light soild detail

Dark purple light set

Light purple light set (light really came through, hard to get a good shot)

Bonus, most of these were bad pours by myself but thought id include anyway

Steam - Long-pig Jerky

Offline shhbbyisok

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 16:14:40 »
Steam - Long-pig Jerky

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 16:16:13 »
Show Image

Looking real good! Digging the middle two rows with fat caps & white tops!

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 16:21:16 »
Show Image

Fat cap is dank. So is **** cap.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 16:38:10 »
Looks like you're progressing nicely; I hope you continue to see success.  Personally I would just take down the pics of the "learning clacks" but that's just me. 
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline shhbbyisok

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 19:36:36 »
What im currently working on

and heres an album of detail shots: http://imgur.com/a/QDFEw

Also entry for a giveaway can be found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/42ttgl/photos_giveaway_entry_and_teaser_3/
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 January 2016, 19:45:09 by shhbbyisok »
Steam - Long-pig Jerky

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 19:37:44 »
Fat Caps are looking great!

Offline shhbbyisok

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 20:12:44 »
Fat Caps are looking great!

Thanks Dgneo!
Steam - Long-pig Jerky

Offline Pdub

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 21:21:31 »

Agreed and Disagreed.  There is this whole huge flux over Clacks and Bros right now. There are very few people to help out with Clacks though, and even less for BBV2s.(even though I think it is the other way around) I am not saying you should copy them. I just understand the struggle, people think because a cap is from a year ago and it is not being made it is work $200 plus. I myself have fallen into that. What can we do about it? Not a lot. But I have had a nice few people help me grow my collection in only a year.

I understand the want to copy others, but a few people have shown me that my caps are pretty cool too.

#DontDrinkandcopycaps  :cool: