Author Topic: All Black Unicomp Spacesaver  (Read 4042 times)

Offline bigpook

All Black Unicomp Spacesaver
« on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 20:28:19 »
That white/beige trackball looks interesting. Who makes it?
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline kliclak

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 22:27:39 »
Nice!  

You've got to change the color of the LEDs though...that really makes a difference!

I've been meaning to make up an all black spacesaver with grease on the springs to quiet it down enough to use at work.

I just don't know if I trust my co workers not to walk away with such a cool keyboard!

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 22:52:49 »
I've decided I'm also going to be putting together this exact keyboard.  I'll mod with red LEDs when I get the chance, but my first assignment is just putting on the blank keys and possibly adding a slight bit of silicon grease.

Thanks for posting, especially the bit about the label.  I will be doing that as well.  I will probably add a sticker of my FKSSR logo to that spot, as well. :)
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline wheel83

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 04 April 2009, 12:36:22 »
nice mod.  exactly what are the specs on those red led's ?
I <3 BS

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 05 April 2009, 19:44:07 »
You're stealing all my ideas for this project and doing them first. ;)

JK.  There's def. room enough for quite a few of us to have similar keyboards, as many of us already do. :)
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 08 April 2009, 05:27:46 »
love what you did with the inside-out unicomp label. great idea. nice looking board.
red leds are interesting. I'm still enamored with blue/ultraviolet.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline Warnerbros

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 03 April 2010, 05:02:13 »
The new SpaceSaver models have the same size buttons and feel as the classic IBM keyboards. The SpaceSaver buckling spring model will be the choice for users who want that unique "IBM click" type feel. A quiet touch (rubber dome) version is also available for customers who want the same heavy duty design without the audible "click" of the buckling spring version.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 03 April 2010, 10:11:15 »
That's one pretty impressive spambot.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 03 April 2010, 10:39:08 »
LOL! Didn't I mention recently how a spambot on another forum provided a definition of what an IBM 5160 was (as the thread was about IBM XTs), while having a link to their product in their signature?

This one's good enough to keep.

Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 23 April 2010, 18:17:18 »

Well that certainly beats an M13 (minus the trackpoint). Labels are for n00bs anyways.

Quote from: kliclak;83609
Nice!  
I just don't know if I trust my co workers not to walk away with such a cool keyboard!
Most people require keys with labels; I doubt many people at a typical office can type on unlabeled keyboards. Assuming you use the black unlabeled keys.

Quote from: kishy;169216
LOL! Didn't I mention recently how a spambot on another forum provided a definition of what an IBM 5160 was (as the thread was about IBM XTs), while having a link to their product in their signature?

This one's good enough to keep.

Show Image

Oooh yes, rubber domes are SOOO good for an alternative to buckling springs.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline shmithers

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 19 November 2010, 02:36:23 »
Holy bump! + Introduction

I'm typing on my Customizer 104 Black/Grey right now, but I'm seriously interested in doing a mod similar to this one. I have temptations to saw off the the number pad and the arrow keys/keys above the arrow keys(not sure the official definition of these keys, I tried Google and Wikipedia I swear!) getting close to a HHKB size board. Does anyone know if this is a feasible mod? I saw the sawed off model M mod here a while ago, but I'm not sure if it would be as easy?

Also when contacting Unicomp do you think they can remove keys or is popping off the key caps the best bet? I'm thinking about turning this keyboard into my star craft keyboard, and it would be nice to have some customizations to it.

Oh and One more thing I know it's been done a million times, but does anyone know where I can find a red esc key for these keyboards?

Thanks so much and I'm glad to have found a nice forum to reside on :)

Offline Shawn Stanford

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 19 November 2010, 06:37:38 »
Quote from: shmithers;249051
... keys above the arrow keys(not sure the official definition of these keys, I tried Google and Wikipedia I swear!)  ...

I call them the 'gross movement keys', but that's just me. I haven't seen anything official, nor does there seem to be a consensus here.

Quote from: shmithers;249051
Oh and One more thing I know it's been done a million times, but does anyone know where I can find a red esc key for these keyboards?

Try Fentek. They might have something laying around. I suggest contacting them directly.
The Brat Prince of COBOL

Offline shmithers

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 20 November 2010, 02:01:52 »
Thank you! Does anyone know if there is a record of someone doing a sawed off mod of a Spacesaver? I would love some insight from the experienced before attempting this.

Offline bettablue

• Geeks with a Grudge. Gotta Love'em
    • All Things DOS
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 09 February 2011, 21:31:57 »
I love the mods.  This is a cool, cheap way to make your keyboard look custom built.  I especially like the black case with the white keys.  Call me a noob, but I could never get the hang of touch typing, although I can type fairly quickly with my method.  While I do look at the keyboard about half of the time while typing, I generally look at the screen a lot too.  Using what I call the scan method, I type about 50 to 60 WPM.  My hands are in the classic touch typing position, but I guess I don't have the muscle memory I should for real touch typing.  And besides, I like the contrast of the black board and white keys a lot.  Keep up the great work.
Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

-----------------IBM Think!---------------------

Offline Roguemaster8

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 13:06:00 »
I think I may try this but with red key caps.

I suppose I could call Unicomp and ask about a red space bar, but my hopes aren't high.
CM Storm Quickfire | Dell Quietkey | Unicomp Ultra Classic | KBC Poker