Author Topic: Youtube Embed Functionality  (Read 14298 times)

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
Youtube Embed Functionality
« on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 21:03:30 »
After a long wait, youtube embeds work again, in http and https flavours! https is recommended, as it will show up for most users by default. Just put the URL of the video in your post, and it should automatically embed. If you encounter any problems, please post below and let us know.

E: If you want to just link a video, rather than embed, you can wrap it in a url tag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 June 2015, 21:16:54 by user 18 »
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Youtube Embed Functionality
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 21:05:55 »
Well, it embeds just fine....but it doesn't play, at least not in chrome.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 21:09:30 »

Working fine in my chrome.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 21:10:24 »

Works for me on chrome under both Windows and Linux. If you can get me your OS and browser version, I'll see that it's looked into.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 21:10:58 »
Version 43.0.2357.81 m

Win7 x64

Tried it with all extensions disabled too, no dice.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 June 2015, 21:13:00 by nubbinator »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 21:12:59 »
Just put the URL of the video in your post, and it should automatically embed.
Yes, I noticed that... when I had intended to post a regular link to a Youtube video...  :rolleyes:

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 21:13:51 »
Just put the URL of the video in your post, and it should automatically embed.
Yes, I noticed that... when I intended to put a regular link to a Youtube video...  :rolleyes:

Wrap it in a [url] tag if you just want to link

Offline tbc

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 00:13:32 »
Version 43.0.2357.81 m

working fine on windows 8.1
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 22:31:33 »
Version 43.0.2357.81 m

Win7 x64

Tried it with all extensions disabled too, no dice.

I could not reproduce the issue using the same browser version and OS.
Have you tried clearing cache, cookies, etc.?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 22:32:34 »
'bout time!  Thanks for this

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 03:55:32 »
umm... I can't get any youtube video's to play, clicking them does nothing for me at work or home on chrome or FF... what am I doing wrong?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 08:21:08 »
umm... I can't get any youtube video's to play, clicking them does nothing for me at work or home on chrome or FF... what am I doing wrong?

Heh, me too.  I should have tried it before I posted.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 15:14:10 »
Works for me - the video in the OP of this thread shows a preview, then I click it it starts playing.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 17:10:24 »
Not working in IE 11 at work either.  Version: 11.0.9600.17801

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 01:21:27 »
Can I get enough details on failures to repro? I can't debug this without repro

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 03:52:47 »
repro?

work machine win7 using chrome v43.0
home machine win7 using ff v(latest I cant remember the exact version)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 18:22:14 »
Apparently there is a single flaw with the Supreme Theme, Austere.  Youtube embeds do not work.  :-/ 

Everyone having issues, could you post which theme you're using, and whether switching from Austere to another one fixes it? 

I, for one, will stand firm and go without Youtube videos for the sake of my eyes.  :'(

Offline Coreda

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 19:05:43 »
Yay, thanks user 18!

Now all I need to enable is the jquery.org JS and voila. The previous implementation never worked for me.

Offline tbc

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 22:34:55 »
Yay, thanks user 18!

Now all I need to enable is the jquery.org JS and voila. The previous implementation never worked for me.

what solution are you talking about?

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 22:51:33 »
Apparently there is a single flaw with the Supreme Theme, Austere.  Youtube embeds do not work.  :-/ 

Everyone having issues, could you post which theme you're using, and whether switching from Austere to another one fixes it? 

I, for one, will stand firm and go without Youtube videos for the sake of my eyes.  :'(

This actually brings the flaw count with Austere up to two -- the first being that it's not Nostalgia :P

Offline Coreda

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 23:01:31 »
what solution are you talking about?

I meant that all I have to do now is enable jquery.com (and Geekhack's) Javascript with NoScript on Firefox and the embedded video displays. In the previous version enabling all scripting still didn't get it to display.

Probably was some config setting on my end, but happy it's all gravy now.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 03:37:07 »
FWIW works for me, using Nostalgia :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 05:18:18 »
Yeah I'm using austere. I don't know how people can read white text on a black background for long periods of time... Ruins my eyes

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 07:49:22 »
oh, yah, we're pulling down our jquery from off-site, so if you have noscript or some other aggressive same origin filter, the youtube scripts won't run until you whitelist them

austere derives from the same template as nostalgia, so if austere has issues with your browser and plugin setup,  nostalgia should have the same problem..

can the people having trouble try to reproduce the problem with windows 8 or macos and a current browser version with no plugins and cookies wiped? i want instructions to reproduce the problem on my end with the most straightforward possible configuration -- that will point to the error (more likely some dodgy trick that is fine in some versions of chrome but not in firefox or IE..)

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 08:58:50 »
I'm using the Austere theme.  It doesn't work.  Using Firefox.

All I have to do to fix it is log out.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 11:20:27 »

I'm using the Austere theme.  It doesn't work.  Using Firefox.

All I have to do to fix it is log out.
I use austere and chrome and it works if that is any help?

Offline tbc

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 18:44:01 »
Yeah I'm using austere. I don't know how people can read white text on a black background for long periods of time... Ruins my eyes

read?  on gh?  i'm here for the hoff nudes.

bu seriously, gh isn't the only site i read and everyone else does BOW aka i don't spenf long periods of time reading here.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 21:20:08 »
yah, nothing wrong with austere except a few cobwebs and this bug.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 21:40:06 »
fixed

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 22:17:47 »
confirming fix

finally everything is only 1 button away instead of two
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90