Author Topic: CM Storm Novatouch Tour (Tour Over)  (Read 105362 times)

Offline Jixr

Hey Guys. Sorry for the Delay, but here is my review: ( I edited out a few of the bits and the photos since I have it cross posted on a few other sites, so if it feels kinda jumpy, thats why )
Sorry for the Novel, and I'm not going to bother posting pics on here. You guys have all seen what it is.

Construction/Design.
I'm a huge CoolerMaster fan, and LOVE the QuickFire Rapid. ( I've owned 3 different ones, and a CM-XT ) Even as the QFR is a budget board, I never felt that it was entirely lacking in construction, but the novatouch completely blows it out of the water. By far, this is the most solid mass-produced commercial keyboard I've ever used.

The rubber coating on the case is something I've always liked, but with past CM keyboards the corners can become a bit worn after time. Though so far, this one has no worn out corners, so maybe the rubber formula has been improved ( rumor has it that CM revised their coatings when they introduced the CM-XT )

The only logo is on the bottom of the case, and on the back side, presenting a very clean, minimalist keyboard offering no gamer-y logo's, branding, or other nonsense.
This keyboard would fit in well at any office environment, or at the helm of a powerful gaming pc.
Ascetically, the keyboard is very pleasing, nice lines, and the only bit of flair on the back side, which is out of view from a typing position.

The keyboard uses mini usb instead of macro usb cables. while it stinks that I can't easily swap keyboards without having an extra cable plugged in, many people already have tons of these cables laying around for their phones. A really cool thing is its easy to get sleeved and colored cables off amazon for cheap and in all kinds of lengths, so that's a big bonus. Allegedly mini usb is supposed to be more durable for multiple connections, but I've yet to have any issues with any of my old keyboards that use macro. Though I kinda feel like with a keyboard of this price point and durability, that I really wish it was a hard-wired cable. Since I'm not allowed to open this one up, I cant say if it would be like the QuickFire Rapid, which was super easy to convert to a hard-wired cable if you wanted.

The keyboard is a little on the tall side, but even without a wrist rest its not uncomfortable to type on, but is a little noticeable. I personally prefer slimmer and lower keyboards, as to me, its much more comfortable and some users may find that for extended use, a wrist wrest may improve their comfort with the keyboard.

Keycaps, are well, crap. But that's okay! The Novatouch's selling feature is its Topre switches, but having mx style stems, so you can put your favorite aftermarket keycap set on it. And so I put a nice keycap set on the keyboard as soon as I got it. A nice set of Thick PBT cherry profile keycaps. I did notice the side to side play of the keys is about on par with a cherry switch. I don't really like that side to side wiggle, but its not noticeably bad, and the sliders feel pretty smooth.

Feel.
The feel of the keyboard to me is quite nice, and is completely different than anything you can find in a cherry switch. While they are rubber domes, they feel like the best kind of rubber domes. much smoother, and the collapsing of the domes is very pleasant. Before trying this keyboard, I've always had a soft spot for membrane keyboards, I like the feeling of the collapsing domes, but every keyboard just felt cheap, and this is the complete opposite. I still get the soft landing of the rubber domes, but the feel is very uniform and crisp. Unfortunately its just one of those things you really can't convey with words unless you get your hands on one.
Compared to cherry, the closest thing I can say is it feels kinda like an mx clear, but with a longer more round tactile bump. If you like clears and browns, I'm sure you'd love this keyboard.
The one thing I've notice about the key feel, is that it feels a bit slow to type on. Compared to my favorite switch ( mx blacks ) it feels a bit sluggish to type on. Kinda like typing on marshmallows, squishy and comfortable, but not very quick. Though during my week with it I got pretty comfortable with it and my typing speed sped back up a bit.

Noise.
There is a difference between cherry and topre sounds, while most cherry keyboards sound very plastic-y when typing on them, topre is often described as having a "thock" sound. Its a nice deep sound, not the high pitched taps of a cherry keyboard.  but if you're thinking this is a quiet keyboard, its not. It's not mx blue loud, but still above a normal cheap keyboard.
While the alphas are quite tolerable, I did notice quite a bit of rattle on the stabilized keys, the mechanism used has a 'wire rattle' feel that reminds me quite a bit of cherry PCB mount stabilizer rattle. Oddly, the spacebar does not have that problem.
Though like all keyboards, keycaps will affect the sound. Thick PBT sound lovely, while thinner abs and pbt sets sound much more plastic-y.
I have noticed some keys have a different sound than others, at least on the unit I have, some keys sound a bit more rubbery than others, and have a weird 'suction' sound of the rubber domes popping back up. I'm not sure if its just a fault with this particular unit, or if something more common.

Office Use:
I am architectural designer for my 8-5, and during my week, I used the novatouch everyday at work. General office work and typing, this thing has been nice, though it's still a little louder than I would prefer in an office environment, and my boss always jokes that he knows if I'm working or not because my keyboards are so loud.
One design flaw with this keyboard, is that it does not have a Caps lock indicator. For my design work, you use all caps when typing, and when I see an email notification pop up and reply to it with all caps, it's a bit annoying. If I owned this keyboard myself, I would definitely look into seeing if there was any way I could wire in an LED for a caps lock notification.
I don't think most people use the caps lock as often as I do and may not be annoyed by it as much, but when you type in a password a few times and can't figure out why its wrong, then try pressing the caps lock and trying again, it can be a bit frustrating.

Gaming.
Typically, I'm a FPS gamer, and while the slow feeling of the keys I mentioned above did not hamper my FPS playing, I can say that during a much faster paced game such as DOTA/LOL, SC2, etc, that the slow keys may get to you a little bit.
I don't generally believe that there is such thing as a "gaming switch" but for serious gaming, I would much prefer to play on cherry blacks than the novatouch.

Note: The keyboard is OSX friendly, and works just fine on OSX and in BIOS ( both things are important to me )

The keyboard also has full USB n-key roll over, so thats is a nice feature to have.

Conclusion.
Its a great keyboard, and there are very few things I don't like about it. Mainly the stabilized key rattle, and the lack of a Caps lock indicator LED. The feel is good, its a comfortable keyboard, the build is a 10/10 but would I buy one?
I can't say for sure.
The MSRP of $200, plus you'll want to replace the keycaps as soon as you can, easily pushes the cost of this keyboard into the $250+ range ( which at that point you could buy a HHKB ), and I'm not sure if thats a cost I can justify.
There are other cheaper 'electro captivate' keyboards on the market that are a bit cheaper, and come with much better stock keycaps. While I don't know the quality of those, the lower price makes them seem a bit more appealing to me.

I'm a bit conflicted, I've been wanting to get a new TKL lately, but I think I may be leaning towards a cherry keyboard and picking up alum. case for it, and coming out with something a bit more unique and custom for about the same price.
It's a really fun keyboard to type on, but I'm not sure if it's $250 worth of fun.
I love my 60% keyboards, and love my linear cherry switches, But I feel like if I bought my own novatouch, I wouldn't use it all that much, considering I already have more keyboards than I would need, and would continue to use my main keyboard, while all the others sat on my shelf, and I feel like the novatouch would join them on the shelf. Though, if I didn't already have a stack of keyboards, I would definitely pick one up, strip the body down, and paint it up like I have with all my other CM keyboards.

Thanks to Cap'n and everyone else who helped the tour go smoothly.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 March 2015, 22:52:11 by Jixr »

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
I'm okay with either option. I lean slightly towards wanting the second board to go out to the remainder of R1 since Im thinking about taking this into work to test out and I would rather have the board with the non-damaged case sitting on my desk for a couple days :))

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Very thorough review jixr. Thanks for posting! First board is in osman99's hands.

I will let everyone I PMed reply to me before I figure out what to do with the second Novatouch. Thanks to mkawa and anyone that donated caps for the second keyboard!
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 March 2015, 21:30:59 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
As soon as signups hit I'm in. :3 Want to try this thing.
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline jackalope

• Now with 20% more soul.
Personally I'm more interested in trying out the feel of the Novatouch then any particular cap, so my opinion is to open up a second tour so that more people can experience this board.
eh o well

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
May I also join the tour? Really interested in trying Topre!
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline osman99

• follow the smoke to the riff filled land
I am a silly man and forgot to tell you guys that I have the tour board right now

Offline onehungrybear

I'd love to join the tour, too. I've been itching to try out a Topre board myself.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
Thx for doing this CPT, awesome project!  :thumb:

Would totally be in if it wasn't for CONUS only!  :)

Offline wazup

Will be following all of these reviews closely as I have been eyeing the novatouch. Hopefully I will post enough to make a later tour, until then I will have to make do with what i have  ;D
||  Ducky 9008 G2 (MX Brown)  ||  Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red)  ||  Monoprice 9433 (MX Blue)  ||  IBM Model M ('90)  ||  Apple Extended Keyboard II ('90©, cream damped Alps)  ||  Apple M0110A ('87, Mitsumi)  ||

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
I'm still waiting for the people left on the tour to reply to a PM I sent out. If I don't hear anything by Monday, I'll make a decision and post it here. In other words, signups will be coming soon. The 2nd board will still be CONUS only and the rules in the OP still apply. Unfortunately, if you have under 100 posts and aren't active on GH, I will not be opening this tour to you.

If you would like to change those rules, please feel free to contact me and mkawa in PMs. We can talk about it there. But please remember, I'm *borrowing* two sample keyboards from mkawa and Carter at CM Storm. If mkawa tells me he'd like stricter requirements, then I'm obligated to do so.

I will personally try to find a solution to allow for different rules in the future as well. Since nubbinator found a $30 Topre board, I feel that the board may be a good option for a Topre tour that I control. No further details or information will be given until I get the board in hand.

Offline wazup

No I completely understand the need for the rules, no need to change them, I will just be active until I qualify for a later tour
||  Ducky 9008 G2 (MX Brown)  ||  Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red)  ||  Monoprice 9433 (MX Blue)  ||  IBM Model M ('90)  ||  Apple Extended Keyboard II ('90©, cream damped Alps)  ||  Apple M0110A ('87, Mitsumi)  ||

Offline AuRinBei

Considering one board is damaged and the other is not, I would want to get the undamaged board.
87u || Poker 2

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
From what I've been told, the damaged board doesn't feel any different from normal. The dent is just a cosmetic thing.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
I've made an executive decision. The current damaged keyboard, which I'm now calling Alpha, will go from osman99 to strict then back to me for damage assessment. I'll be opening signups for Alpha R2 which should happen in about 3 weeks. Please fill out the form.

The remaining people from the original Alpha tour will be getting the second keyboard, which I'm calling Bravo. I will post the cap selection that will come with the board soon. Bravo tour should be going out this week. I'll update the OP with more info as soon as I can.

If there are any questions, please let me know.

Offline osman99

Cool, ill send it out end of the week/ beggining of next to strict. Im not home now so i cant ship it out till then.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
Re: CM Storm Novatouch Tour (Signups for Alpha R2 Open)
« Reply #266 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 18:58:59 »
This is a great idea! Hoepfully CM actually makes their 60% Novatouch, making Topre even more accessible and affordable.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Cool, ill send it out end of the week/ beggining of next to strict. Im not home now so i cant ship it out till then.

Thanks for the heads up.

Alpha Round 2 Signups Open everyone.  Check the OP for more info!

More
I've made an executive decision. The current damaged keyboard, which I'm now calling Alpha, will go from osman99 to strict then back to me for damage assessment. I'll be opening signups for Alpha R2 which should happen in about 3 weeks. Please fill out the form.

The remaining people from the original Alpha tour will be getting the second keyboard, which I'm calling Bravo. I will post the cap selection that will come with the board soon. Bravo tour should be going out this week. I'll update the OP with more info as soon as I can.

If there are any questions, please let me know.

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #268 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 19:05:20 »
Signed up!  :D

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #269 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 16:10:27 »
Also signed up. I have heard good and bad things about the Novatouch. Can't wait to give it a whirl.

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #270 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 21:47:20 »
Signed! I'm really looking forward to this. :cool:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #271 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 21:48:35 »
Unfortunately you do not meet the requirements yet.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #272 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 07:12:35 »
Signed up! Finally I have a chance to try Topre!
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #273 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 07:48:57 »
signed up
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline cooldiscretion

• Convicted guilty of being totally rad.
« Reply #274 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 09:21:07 »
I'm all signed up. Looking forward to testing out that novatouch goodness. :)

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #275 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 10:26:20 »
But if I sign up and really really like it I'll have no choice but to purchase one. :D

Think of the children!

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline calvinhousecat

« Reply #276 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 18:53:49 »
Signed up. Thanks for providing us a cost friendly way for users to try Topre  :D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #277 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 21:56:01 »
But if I sign up and really really like it I'll have no choice but to purchase one. :D

Think of the children!

I'm not liable or responsible for any wallethacking that may occur. ;)

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #278 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 00:57:49 »

Think of the children!

Pfft you have an F you need no other keyboards.

...Which didn't stop me from signing up, because you know, keyboards. Must try things.
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #279 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 09:22:28 »
Just a heads up I'm waiting for some more keycaps to arrive from mkawa and them I'll be out of town later this week. I'll leave the sign ups open for another week to compensate. Let me know if you're interested! :D

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #280 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 09:42:33 »
Cool, looking forward to trying MX caps over rubber cups.

Thanks for organizing this, CPTBro! ;)
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #281 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 10:01:34 »
Cool, looking forward to trying MX caps over rubber cups.

Thanks for organizing this, CPTBro! ;)

I second this! I can't wait to try some cupped rubber :)

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #282 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 11:01:46 »
Signed up. Also discussed (i.e. PM'd) with CLiB about a pickup/drop off between us since we're both in CT.
CM QFR | magicforce 68 (Gateron) | magicforce 68 (Outemu) | Acros 6311-K

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #283 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 11:04:22 »

Think of the children!

Pfft you have an F you need no other keyboards.

...Which didn't stop me from signing up, because you know, keyboards. Must try things.

Exactly.  For science!

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline LXXXIX

« Reply #284 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 10:47:01 »

What about now? :p

Edit. Sorry I missed one of the rules. Hopefully I can still qualify. :thumb:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #285 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 07:50:53 »
I'm still waiting for the caps from mkawa to show up so the signups are still open. Also the first board is still stuck with osman99. I'm not really sure what's going on but the turnaround times seem to have stalled with him. Working now to figure out what's going on.

Sure. Can you enter your info again into the form?
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 April 2015, 07:52:51 by CPTBadAss »

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #286 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 08:05:08 »
Signed up!!!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline greath

• A waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap.
« Reply #287 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 11:02:39 »
100th post :)

I signed up for the rotation, and hopefully get to participate, but I get it that "just meeting the minimum requirements" might make me eligible for "I reserve the right to screen people and skip them if needed."

If I do get skipped no hard feelings. Otherwise, I look forward to seeing what all the fuss about Topre is about!

Offline LXXXIX

« Reply #288 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 21:12:21 »
I'm still waiting for the caps from mkawa to show up so the signups are still open. Also the first board is still stuck with osman99. I'm not really sure what's going on but the turnaround times seem to have stalled with him. Working now to figure out what's going on.

Sure. Can you enter your info again into the form?

Done! :cool:

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #289 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 18:28:52 »
Tour board arrived today. I'll be posting my thoughts sometime later this week  :thumb:

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline osman99

« Reply #290 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 18:29:12 »

Tour board arrived today. I'll be posting my thoughts sometime later this week  :thumb:
Sorry that took so long heh...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #291 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 18:29:54 »
It's no problem. Glad it didn't disappear. But I will hold you all to reviews :P

Offline osman99

« Reply #292 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 18:30:19 »

It's no problem. Glad it didn't disappear. But I will hold you all to reviews :P
Dont worry, ill do it ;)

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #293 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 19:22:35 »
Initial impression; this thing is loud af with the blue/grey feng keys. I had initially thought of taking this into work with me to evaluate but with this kind of noise I don't think I will.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #294 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 07:08:01 »
Just an update. I finally received the imsto dyesubs I've been waiting on from mkawa. And strict is sending me the Alpha board back. I'll inspect the Alpha board and then package up Bravo then send them both out ASAP.

Offline Herothereu

« Reply #295 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 10:29:44 »
Hmmm...may have to try this to see what those keys are like.

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #296 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 11:15:15 »
Just an update. I finally received the imsto dyesubs I've been waiting on from mkawa. And strict is sending me the Alpha board back. I'll inspect the Alpha board and then package up Bravo then send them both out ASAP.

Do we know who will be on the list, and in what order, for Alpha R2?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #297 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 11:15:52 »
I'll update the OP when I get a chance.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #298 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 17:37:08 »
Hey CPT, can you remove me from the list? I can't take it at the moment.  :(

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #299 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 08:10:29 »
Hey CPT, can you remove me from the list? I can't take it at the moment.  :(

Will do.

I still haven't been able to update the list of people to the OP. Been busy lately. Apologies. I will get that out ASAP. Still waiting on the Alpha Novatouch to return to me.