Author Topic: Post your audio gear / stereo setup  (Read 48791 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Post your audio gear / stereo setup
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 23:50:56 »
Show Image

Flipped everything 180, looks much better now. Also moved my LivingColor light down there as well. Many good times to be had here :D

Sort of person that might flip a space bar ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Capnmycraw

« Reply #101 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 09:34:04 »
Take a song like "Year of the Cat" by Al Stewart.  Listen to it however you like.  Then, as an experiment, turn everything FLAT.

Try it.

Then, depending on your environment, adjust your bass and treble frequency up and down until you reach that spot where the song goes full dimension.  (You'll know it when you hear it.)
I'm going to have to try this at some point.  I'll have to find the CD somewhere as I'm sure youtube and whatnot have terrible compression that will destroy that full dimension. :(

I need a good FLAC media server.  Any recommendations?

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 08:54:17 »
Alright need your help / recommendations.

About to finally buy my record player. I decided to go with this: https://store.uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-builder

So my question.

How do I get this working with my current setup. I know I am probably going to possibly need to buy a new receiver.

Currently I have 2 JBL self powered monitors, a self powered sub, A schiit stack but not the ubers, so I have a switch to cycle between my speakers and headphones.

My switch only supports 2 at a time. I am thinking I can probably get the record player with its own preamp and then see if I can find a 3 cycle switch.

What do you guys think is the best option?

Edit: I also socred a sweet sony receiver over the weekend for super cheap. Ill upload pictures when I get home. I was thinking of maybe integrating that into the setup.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 March 2016, 08:58:17 by Bromono »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 09:10:31 »
Currently I have 2 JBL self powered monitors, a self powered sub, A schiit stack but not the ubers, so I have a switch to cycle between my speakers and headphones.

My switch only supports 2 at a time. I am thinking I can probably get the record player with its own preamp and then see if I can find a 3 cycle switch.

What do you guys think is the best option?

Edit: I also socred a sweet sony receiver over the weekend for super cheap. Ill upload pictures when I get home. I was thinking of maybe integrating that into the setup.

What's your current setup re: low-pass filter?  Since you're already using a switch it might be easiest to just pop the turntable in as another input (with a preamp) and just treat it as another input however you currently have it setup.  I don't have the most experience with active speaker setups though so don't take my word as gospel.  ;) 

The other sensible option is to hook up the receiver but then you'll have issues using that with the active speakers you have, and would overall (IMHO) be a more involved transition.  But again, would be best to get some input from the others to have a proper discussion.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #104 on: Fri, 31 March 2023, 15:34:53 »
Holy necro, Batman - we're bringing this one back! I've come a long way since the dingy basement in the OP, wanted to share the current setup. Let's see what y'all are rocking too!

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #105 on: Mon, 17 April 2023, 16:09:59 »
Holy necro, Batman - we're bringing this one back! I've come a long way since the dingy basement in the OP, wanted to share the current setup. Let's see what y'all are rocking too!

Holy necro, Batman!  Indeed!

Quite a nice vinyl collection you've got there!  Can't post pic as I'm not in the country where my audio gear is located.  I'm still using physical discs too, but they're CDs.  And then I'm not really using them: I'm ripping them and storing them, and listening from the ripped digital files.  Still rocking my same setup since years: floorstanding loudspeakers (DALI Zensor 7), Cambridge Audio amp, Cambridge Audio DAC.
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)