Author Topic: Never dig into a 50% or 40% keyboard.. Anyone recommend?  (Read 1851 times)

Offline EpomakerKeyboard

• Epomaker
Never dig into a 50% or 40% keyboard.. Anyone recommend?
« on: Sun, 15 May 2022, 21:55:38 »
Like the subject:
Looks like those are interesting too.
Any recommendation for a 50% or 40% keyboard?

Offline kajahtaa

Re: Never dig into a 50% or 40% keyboard.. Anyone recommend?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 16 May 2022, 02:26:16 »
Kyria

Offline EpomakerKeyboard

• Epomaker
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 May 2022, 06:50:05 »
Kyria

interesting.. can you be specific about it?

Offline fortissim2

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 16 May 2022, 12:21:57 »
The Corne and the Kyria are my top picks. A bit biased though because I'm a split keyboard fanboy.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 16 May 2022, 16:08:27 »
I love my iris split ortholinear  :)
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 16 May 2022, 21:04:03 »
Are you looking for a prebuilt or do you want to build it yourself?
Shhhhh...my wallet doesn't know I'm here.

Offline Elwood

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 17 May 2022, 20:28:29 »
curva 40 or other 40% keyboard from felice lab.

Offline EpomakerKeyboard

• Epomaker
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 May 2022, 21:32:55 »

A prebuilt for a start  :D

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 19 May 2022, 13:46:15 »

A prebuilt for a start  :D

Most of my time searching has been into self-built boards so I'm sure there's a good bit of the market that I'm unaware of, but what I'd probably look to first is the Vortex Core, for a couple reasons.

• It keeps a primarily standard layout. This will make the learning curve a good bit easier, as your brain will have to learn the new layers, but your fingers won't have to really learn new positions as you will if (when) you step to an ortholinear like the Plank or most split layouts (which can be a little bit of a learning curve by itself, especially if you don't have "proper" typing technique and reach for keys on the "wrong finger")
  • Marked keycaps. Though yes, you should be touch-typing and no, it doesn't take too long to learn a 40% (It took me about a week going from fullsize to a bepo), for that bit while you're learning or for those uncommon keys that you never really learned later, a quick glance down is quicker than fumbling through every key until you land on the right one, or pulling up the software/a screenshot to look at your keymap.
  • "Three Key" bottom row. Not sure if there's a proper term for this, but I've personally found that having a split spacebar+1 vs a full bottom spacebar or only the split spacebar is very, very helpful. Having that one extra key for layer usage or other such makes a much larger difference than I ever would have expected.
  • It's not super expensive. Being able to dive in for sub-$100 is quite nice for something you don't know yet if you'll enjoy or not!

While you could dive in with a split or ortho as many people are recommending here, it will most likely be a longer learning curve. I've been using 40%'s for a while now and only just stepped to my first ortho and so far, going from 40->ortho 40 has been a significantly larger adjustment for me than going from a full-size razer blackwidow straight over to a bepovan was. YMMV, and if you want to dive into the deep end, don't let me be the one to stop you! I'll be cheering you on all the way. But if you want to make the learning curve a bit easier, the closer to a standard layout that you can be the easier of a transition it'll likely be. I've been typing on my ortho most this past week or so including this post, and I'm still having little hiccups and choke moments that I wasn't having by this point in time transitioning between standard formats.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 May 2022, 13:50:15 by TheWonderBubble »
Shhhhh...my wallet doesn't know I'm here.

Offline FractalOne

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 05 June 2022, 17:59:39 »
Nope too small 60% is perfect imo