Author Topic: If you haven't seen it... it's new to you  (Read 10336 times)

Offline TheHardkaare

Re: If you haven't seen it... it's new to you
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 06:51:40 »
I'd much rather have a job not paying me so much, that I love, instead of one paying a lot, that I don't want to go to when I wake up.
I'm sure this isn't what you meant, but in case it was ;-)

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 10:10:08 »
I'd much rather have a job not paying me so much, that I love, instead of one paying a lot, that I don't want to go to when I wake up.
I'm sure this isn't what you meant, but in case it was ;-)

That's what I meant. Being forced into the latter by life is rough.
c h e r

Offline hellerbarde

• stumbling through the mechanical keyboard world.
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 11:23:29 »
Hi, I'm new too.  :)

For anyone wanting to get into Functional Programming, might I recommend looking into http://elixir-lang.org/, it's a pretty new language, but it is based on the incredibly powerful Erlang VM. So it's fully interoperable with Erlang code (Modules? Libraries? I'm unfamiliar with Erlang...)

I recently decided that I want to focus my recreational programming on
  • Python (because I am entirely in love with it)
  • Go (because it compiles down to the metal)
  • Elixir (because I don't understand functional programming yet and I like a challenge.)

Also:

Code: [Select]
>>> vote["python"] += 1
 ;)

I'll now stop sidetracking your thread.

Yay for meeting new people!

EDIT: fix formatting fail.
objectoriented when someone felt like it.

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 13:22:42 »
Yeah we do! My daughter is only 10 months :D

I like the problem solving aspect of programming, but having to problem solve anymore is not a common occurrence. Most of what I do is incredibly repetitive and often times we wind up using APIs, plugins or good old copy/paste anymore instead of reinventing the wheel. Nothing really feels new and exciting, and I have zero interest in learning other programming languages at this point.

I agree it can be extremely repetitive, copy pasta is no fun either. I have most of that stuff bootstraped so I get straight to the functional code and views. I've been using Ruby for a year and ready for a change.
I don't use API's that much because I never really needed too, but I am gonna use one today and I'm rather excited about using it, and plans to use another one shortly after.

Do you have any side projects?
The site I've been working on in my spare time is http://ctrlaltgroupbuy.com/ and I enjoy working on it. Feel free to PM me if you wanna check out the source or anything. I have a feeling you might like contributing to it!

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 13:36:52 »

I like the problem solving aspect of programming, but having to problem solve anymore is not a common occurrence. Most of what I do is incredibly repetitive and often times we wind up using APIs, plugins or good old copy/paste anymore instead of reinventing the wheel. Nothing really feels new and exciting, and I have zero interest in learning other programming languages at this point.

I agree it can be extremely repetitive, copy pasta is no fun either. I have most of that stuff bootstraped so I get straight to the functional code and views. I've been using Ruby for a year and ready for a change.
I don't use API's that much because I never really needed too, but I am gonna use one today and I'm rather excited about using it, and plans to use another one shortly after.

The site I've been working on in my spare time is http://ctrlaltgroupbuy.com/ and I enjoy working on it. Feel free to PM me if you wanna check out the source or anything. I have a feeling you might like contributing to it!

I'm trying to work on something with the YouTube API that's a personal thing, but for the most part all of my bandwidth goes to my job, daughter and videogames. Keyboard building is really the only thing I take time away from gaming for.

I get a bit pushed into business requirements and time restraints being at a huge corporation. It was much easier to do my own thing when I was at small companies or freelancing. Now I don't generally get a choice.

Ctrl Alt Del looks very cool. I would probably be interested in helping you out if you needed it, but I'm not really sure how much time I'd be able to offer. Hearthstone is like my life atm. lol
c h e r

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 12:47:40 »
Yeah I love being creative! Makes the work fun. But yes as you say programming can be fun. Same w my front end stuff, when doing something new, custom and exciting. :)

Yeah Cody's website is nice, now with SSL ;)

Offline Kamen Rider Blade

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 23:04:04 »

I'm trying to work on something with the YouTube API that's a personal thing, but for the most part all of my bandwidth goes to my job, daughter and videogames. Keyboard building is really the only thing I take time away from gaming for.

I get a bit pushed into business requirements and time restraints being at a huge corporation. It was much easier to do my own thing when I was at small companies or freelancing. Now I don't generally get a choice.

Ctrl Alt Del looks very cool. I would probably be interested in helping you out if you needed it, but I'm not really sure how much time I'd be able to offer. Hearthstone is like my life atm. lol

You should get back into League of Legends

So many of us Geek Hack folks who play

We need to form some sort of group for LoL

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 09:43:32 »

You should get back into League of Legends

So many of us Geek Hack folks who play

We need to form some sort of group for LoL

I do still play League, but I haven't even finished my placements for this season. You can add me: Cherpx. I'll be honest though, I'm really close to getting Legend in Hearthstone this season, and the seasons are short, so I really want to do that first. I'm also making big huge changes in my life career-wise, so I've got a lot going on!!

Cher
c h e r