Author Topic: Hi! I have a question...  (Read 8457 times)

Offline ineph

• nostalgic procrastinator
  • Do you know the Venus Project??
Hi! I have a question...
« on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 06:46:20 »
Hi guys!

I wanna to build a plated mechanical keyboard and I realize that is too expensive for me right now, so I decided to buy this  WASD V2 88-Key, a blank one.

My question is: I live in Brazil and here we use the ABNT2 layout. Can I hack, or do something to change the frimeware of this keyboard to ABNT2? If yes, how I do this?

Bla bla bla Stealthbla bla Blue

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
Re: Hi! I have a question...
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 19:00:47 »
Are you talking about a physical layout (keycaps, for example ISO enter and ANSI enter Key) or just the "layout" (remapped keys, for example QWERTY, QWERTZ, DVORAK...).
I assume its just the "Layout", you can just change the layout on your OS.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 January 2016, 19:03:57 by Olumin »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 00:03:02 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

AFAIK the WASD does not have a programmable controller.

Your simplest option would be to remap the keyboard with a utility on your OS, as Olumin suggested.

Even WASD suggest something similar: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/mechanical-keyboard-guide#remap
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ineph

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 02:43:12 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

AFAIK the WASD does not have a programmable controller.

Your simplest option would be to remap the keyboard with a utility on your OS, as Olumin suggested.

Even WASD suggest something similar: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/mechanical-keyboard-guide#remap

Are you talking about a physical layout (keycaps, for example ISO enter and ANSI enter Key) or just the "layout" (remapped keys, for example QWERTY, QWERTZ, DVORAK...).
I assume its just the "Layout", you can just change the layout on your OS.

thanks for the answers!

It's kinda sad. I'd like a keyboard that don't need a program every time I use it, an "plug and play" that once configured, I can use in any terminal.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 03:57:00 »
There are various aftermarket controllers that do allow full programmability, but after a few searches it seems that there was not enough interest in one for WASD keyboards, and they were not made.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ineph

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 07:47:47 »
There are various aftermarket controllers that do allow full programmability, but after a few searches it seems that there was not enough interest in one for WASD keyboards, and they were not made.

Ok, thanks for  the answer.

Maybe a build one with Teensy.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 03:02:11 »

That I don't know.

It seems to me that a Teensy is designed for use at a lower level - at the switch matrix level.  But I could be wrong.

Offline ineph

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 11:13:36 »

That I don't know.

It seems to me that a Teensy is designed for use at a lower level - at the switch matrix level.  But I could be wrong.

What you mean "at the switch matrix level"?
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 April 2016, 11:16:16 by ineph »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 05:47:55 »

That I don't know.

As in you'd wire the rows and columns of the keyboard matrix to the I/O pins on the Teensy, and program it to return a certain keycode when a particular key is pressed.

Offline ineph

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 18:42:53 »

That I don't know.

As in you'd wire the rows and columns of the keyboard matrix to the I/O pins on the Teensy, and program it to return a certain keycode when a particular key is pressed.

I think it answers another question!
I'll not buy a keyboard, I'll make one...
see this: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=81345.0
this layout have 64 keys (actually less than that, but the plante allows to put some extra keys)
I hope I'm right :-[

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 05:58:06 »

That I don't know.

I think it answers another question!
I'll not buy a keyboard, I'll make one...
see this: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=81345.0
this layout have 64 keys (actually less than that, but the plante allows to put some extra keys)
I hope I'm right :-[

It is entirely possible to build a keyboard.

Using unconventional switches like in your linked post might prove interesting - they would probably not fit in a standard plate, so you'd have to find some other way of mounting them.

Alternatively you could use MX switches (or one of the MX-compatible switches available now), which would fit in a standard plate.  Those you could hard-wire.

The alternative is to design a PCB and solder the switches to it.  You could get away without a plate then, but you'd need to be good at PCB design.

Best idea is to make a thread in making stuff together with your parts and plans, and see what happens.

Good luck :)

Offline ineph

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 16:43:19 »
yea, actually te typewriter have a plate and I'll use it
idk witch controller I have to use (it's my first project)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 18:55:28 »
If you want you could buy a 87/88 key QFR (Quickfire Rapid) and pick up a Frosty Flake from 1upkeyboards.com.

Or you could buy a Filco Majestouch 87/88 and pick up a Pegasus Hoof from 1upkeyboards.com.

If those seem like boring options you could check out the GH60 Satan PCB, Phantom 87, Ergodox, Planck... really the list goes on regarding all the different controllers and keyboards that are fully programmable.

Alternatively, you can find the layout in your computer operating system and use a key combination to switch to your new layout. I do this with Dvorak and it is kind of a pain in the @ss for when I accidentally press the key combination :'(
Chris Schammert

Offline izilla

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 20:34:06 »
I build my own keyboards for fun and sometimes you can find a mechanical one on eBay that is not working for a good price and salvage the components (LEDs, switches, diodes, etc.) for your own custom job. Hacking an existing keyboard that you do not the chipset being used is possible through a micro-controller but the time involved may not be worth it but I am sure that you could learn a lot!

I would someday like to build a custom PCB with an ARM core on it like a PI that could also piggy back off the USB power and be programmable through that interface so that you could SSH into your keyboard with a full OS on it. Someday when I get some free time. I do have to say I enjoy building my own it can seem very daunting at first but you can learn a lot from it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 02:37:52 »
I build my own keyboards for fun and sometimes you can find a mechanical one on eBay that is not working for a good price and salvage the components (LEDs, switches, diodes, etc.) for your own custom job. Hacking an existing keyboard that you do not the chipset being used is possible through a micro-controller but the time involved may not be worth it but I am sure that you could learn a lot!

I would someday like to build a custom PCB with an ARM core on it like a PI that could also piggy back off the USB power and be programmable through that interface so that you could SSH into your keyboard with a full OS on it. Someday when I get some free time. I do have to say I enjoy building my own it can seem very daunting at first but you can learn a lot from it.

Raspberry Pi in a keyboard?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40523.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42150.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=66483.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=71047.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=80152.0

Offline izilla

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 21:56:46 »

Those projects are awesome I am thinking of maybe a on board micro with networking capabilities for an all-in-one pentesting machine maybe with a dual-NIC for some networking testing.

Offline hippiepete

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 05:02:45 »
ola amigo brazzuca!! moro no brasil tambem e o que eu faco é só mudar a "language preference" no windows. assim aprendi também onde fica os acentos e me viro! é bem barbada.

Offline ineph

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 00:45:09 »

Wow! Raspberry PI as keyboard controller looks really fun, so many possibilities but sems huge for me now, I'm newbie :)) but some day maybe I build one with a USB storage... idk

ola amigo brazzuca!! moro no brasil tambem e o que eu faco é só mudar a "language preference" no windows. assim aprendi também onde fica os acentos e me viro! é bem barbada.

olá!
Yah I know but i prefer to make a keyboard that not depends of the OS

Offline izilla

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 08:12:32 »
I wonder what the chipset is for the controller if it is known it is possible to get in there and physically hack around. I would check what the controller is and if you can pull the datasheet you might be able to force some firmware on there.

Offline izilla

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 15:59:08 »
So.....after thinking about cool ways to hack the keyboard into doing what you want like installing a teensy or a micro controller I went to their site to check for the chipset and it looks like they have a layout editor and uploader on their site.

Here

Offline ineph

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 12:50:46 »
I belive the "(Optional) Upload your layout file" is not to make my own logical layout but is for make a keyboard like this:

Hope I'm wrong

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 05:59:03 »
I belive the "(Optional) Upload your layout file" is not to make my own logical layout but is for make a keyboard like this:

Show Image

Hope I'm wrong

Yep, I don't think that graphic is going to fix your problem regardless of how cool it looks :)) If you can't find information online maybe send them an email for a specifications sheet or call them for one. I wouldn't tell them what you want to do though, if you keyboard is still under warranty and you explain to them that you want to void the warranty they might decline your request for information.
Chris Schammert

Offline ineph

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 11:18:35 »
I asked yesterday: 

"Hi!
I want to buy the WASD V2 88-Key ISO Custom Mechanical Keyboard with blank keycaps, but I live in Brazil and we use ABNT2 layout here. So I can order a Portuguese layout with blank keycaps and remap the keys without using any operational system? "

here is the answer:

"You cannot remap or reprogram key maps outside of an OS environment beyond what is possible with our dipswitches: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/media/v2-user-guide.pdf
Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you."

but I can take of the original controller and put a Teensy2.0++(?) on the pcb, right? Any way to how to do it without loose the dipswitches functions?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 11:56:38 »
If you use a teensy you'd just bypass the WASD pcb entirely. Teensy normally requires you to wire the switch matrix by hand. AFAIK incorporating the dipswitches would require the WASD pcb. You can program whatever you want on the teensy, including all the functions of those dipswitches.   
Chris Schammert

Offline izilla

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 12:36:41 »
If you use a teensy you'd just bypass the WASD pcb entirely. Teensy normally requires you to wire the switch matrix by hand. AFAIK incorporating the dipswitches would require the WASD pcb. You can program whatever you want on the teensy, including all the functions of those dipswitches.
Yea you could through the hand wiring of the switches yourself or modify the PCB that's there, would be. This would be a very advanced hack and some knowledge of the PCB layout would be required if you couldn't reverse engineer it from looking at it, sometime the solder mask is heavy and you can't see it. Maybe ask them for a schematic although they probably wouldn't give it to you.

If you don't mind cracking that bad boy open to see its guts (would void warranty if your concerned about that) and send some pictures I could look at it for you.

I have a keyboard at home (Razer or something I don't remember) that actually had two PCBs in it (connected by a 2x20 pin header think Raspberry Pi pin header I would send pictures but I am away on work ATM maybe tomorrow) one for the controller and the other for the Switch matrix that would be a best case scenario. But I have never seen inside this keyboard so who knows maybe someone on this forum will have a picture.

Offline ineph

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 11:47:21 »
yeap, this is a higer level for me but if I buy one I definitely will open it and send some pics

I'll keep my current project

Thanks guys!!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 03:56:32 »
I asked yesterday: 

"Hi!
I want to buy the WASD V2 88-Key ISO Custom Mechanical Keyboard with blank keycaps, but I live in Brazil and we use ABNT2 layout here. So I can order a Portuguese layout with blank keycaps and remap the keys without using any operational system? "

here is the answer:

"You cannot remap or reprogram key maps outside of an OS environment beyond what is possible with our dipswitches: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/media/v2-user-guide.pdf
Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you."

but I can take of the original controller and put a Teensy2.0++(?) on the pcb, right? Any way to how to do it without loose the dipswitches functions?

There are a few replacement controllers around, but unfortunately it doesn't sound like there are any for the WASD V2: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46700.0

Offline Darkshado

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 16:17:38 »
For a "standard" COTS (commercial off-the-shelf) keyboard like the WASD V2, anything beyond the built-in DIP switch remapping would require either to:

• Open up the keyboard, void the warranty, map the matrix, solder in a new controller. It may be possible to flash your own firmware on the existing one as well, ymmv.
  • Acquire and use something like hasu's USB to USB converter: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74708.0
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 May 2016, 16:22:54 by Darkshado »

Offline izilla

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 19:54:16 »
For a "standard" COTS (commercial off-the-shelf) keyboard like the WASD V2, anything beyond the built-in DIP switch remapping would require either to:

• Open up the keyboard, void the warranty, map the matrix, solder in a new controller. It may be possible to flash your own firmware on the existing one as well, ymmv.
  • Acquire and use something like hasu's USB to USB converter: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74708.0

Oh man this was something I was considering building but since one exists I am glad it exists! Always learn something new here everydya love GH!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 20:16:02 »
Oh man, bookmarked!
Chris Schammert

Offline ineph

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 15:16:05 »

This is very nice!
I did not even know that it exists

Offline eohmiller

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 15:21:02 »
Do you have plans for your build yet?

Offline ineph

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 20:36:04 »