Author Topic: [IC] TKD Cycle8 - A new chapter  (Read 26049 times)

Offline ClickClack.io

• Find us on clickclack.io
    • clickclack.io
[IC] TKD Cycle8 - A new chapter
« on: Fri, 22 March 2024, 07:33:42 »

Cycle8
by TKD
Post edited by Click Clack

Hi, keyboard enthusiasts! Following the Cycle7, we are excited to introduce TKD's second creation — the Cycle8.

We named our product line "Cycle" (Recurrence), reminding us not to forget the path we've traveled and the passion we uphold, and with our second keyboard in the Cycle line, we are happy to look back and see our progress come to life.

If the Cycle7 was a fresh endeavor for us, we aim for the Cycle8 to be a more refined project built upon that foundation.

The Cycle8, as the name shows, is an 80%/TKL kit keyboard that resembles one of the most iconic layouts in the keyboard community and history.

Specs

Design

The minimalist design concept of the Cycle8 is also inclusive. One of the techniques TKD has focused on in designing the Cycle8 is how to utilize lines to convey our message cleverly.

A single line cannot cycle on its own, but when lines are made symmetrical, repeated, or rotated, they can evoke the essence of cycling.

Frame Proportion

As 80% is a conventional and classic size, the proportions of the front frame are crucial and demand serious consideration. Different proportion allocations can bring about vastly different tones and styles. Therefore, we have meticulously redesigned and adjusted the frame proportions of Cycle.

Decorative Lighting Strip (Optional)

To emphasize the essence of Cycling, we have added a stepwise accent lighting strip in the direction cluster, enhancing the Cycle's front recognition. While this feature is optional, we believe another approach to TKL is to focus more on quality by providing a clean direction cluster without lighting.

Weight Division

We have divided the bottom weight of the Cycle8 into three symmetrical segments using curved lines, each treated with different surface finishes and materials to enrich its visual appeal.

Side Profile

This aspect has been revitalized in the Cycle8. By using 3D surfaces and lines, we have given it a more dynamic and three-dimensional appearance, enhancing its sculptural presence.

The produc images below are all captured from real keyboards. Due to variations in lighting conditions, environment setup and screen calibration, visual variations are expected.

Materials and Treatment Processes

Case

The cases are produced using CNC machining from 6063-T6 aluminum alloy. It combines anodization and electrostatic adsorption coating (TKDcoating) surface treatment.

Battery Compartment Cover and Optional Weight

Battery compartment cover is implemented with a solid aluminum or stainless steel plate.

Additionally, we added replacement weight for wired version in place of trimode battery.

Copper-colored Anodized Aluminum Battery Compartment Cover (135g)

Brushed SS Battery Compartment Cover (392g)

Optional Brushed SS Internal Weight (340g)

* We'll decide whether to include the option to purchase brass cover plates or brass internal weights before GB. Blacksimon will conduct specific testing for this part during the build stream.

Main Weight

The keyboard's bottom consists of three separate weight blocks.

Brushed SS (348g)

Brushed + Polished-Mirror SS (348g)

Brushed + Polished-Mirror PVD SS (348g) From left to right: brushed + mirror (PVD black) / brushed + mirror (PVD gunmetal) / brushed + mirror (PVD gold).

Frosted Titanium Alloy (196g) From left to right: Purple Gradient / Gold Gradient / Natural

Crystalized Titanium Alloy (196g) From left to right: Rose Gold / Blue-Green Transition / PVD Black

EZ-assemble System - a ball-catch quick-assemble structure

The Cycle8 still adopts the ball-catch EZ-assemble system from the Cycle7. However, to achieve a frame proportion more suitable for TKL and improve assembly stability, we have produced smaller-sized ball-catch components in-house using CNC machining.

Utilizing 7-series aluminum alloy paired with hardened anodization.

Custom carbon steel springs combined with silicon nitride ball catches (compared to stainless steel balls, silicon nitride offers higher strength and inherent lubrication).

Structural Options

Dual Mounting Modes

The Cycle8 features two modes of Gasket mount, allowing for structural changes to be swiftly accomplished with the assistance of the ball-catch EZ-assemble mechanism.

Gasket Beans

This offers a more delicate and soft typing experience. We've retained the gasket beans mounting from the Cycle7, as it offers efficient and stable tactile feedback. This characteristic was proven effective in the Cycle7.

Gasket O-ring

We have introduced a new form of gasket with an O-ring, which we believe is superior to the traditional O-ring structure with single-sided support typically found in whole-board setups. This new configuration offers a more stable performance regarding pressure distribution within the PCB.

Furthermore, it largely preserves the tactile characteristics of the O-ring structure. It provides the most direct critical feedback under non-rigid connections, distinct from the soft feel of the deformation travel of comparatively fragile gasket beans.

Plates

5052 Aluminum

5052 aluminum alloy offers better tactile feedback and sound profile than 6063 aluminum.

PC

Distinguishing itself from the PC material used in the past, the PC plate introduced this time is produced from an entirely new material and process.

FR4

PCB Options

We have upgraded the PCB providers. Expect more mature, reliable, and user-friendly solutions. The Trimode version will be Via-based without the need for proprietary software, and wired PCBs will have enhanced ESD protection for higher reliability.

HE PCB

Pictures TBD

The magnetic switch solution introduced by Rakka has undergone market testing and received widespread acclaim. It will provide gamers with a high-performance and stable magnetic switch solution. This reliable solution achieves low latency while pursuing theoretical performance that remains consistent with physical performance.

Rakka independently develops hardware and software and will be an option in Cycle8 kit.
- 8kHz polling rate
- Adjustable key travel from 0.1mm to 4.00mm (actual physical key travel, no dead zones), with a resolution of up to 0.05mm

For software functionality, please visit https://kb-next.rakka.dev/ and enter demo mode (in development) for a preview simulation.

* Detailed performance test reports and user experiences will be provided through reviews during the GB phase.

Wired

For the Wired, you have the options of both Soldered PCB and Hotswap PCB.

The Wired mode is developed using the QMK official repository and supports VIA/VIAL.

Tri-mode

- The Cycle8's Wireless mode will support VIA, eliminating the need for proprietary software with a stable firmware
- Equipped with two 2200mAh batteries
- Support using hotkey to switch mode
- Enhanced optimization for device compatibility in Bluetooth mode

Supported Layouts

Soldered

Hotswap (ANSI):

Hotswap (ISO)

Magnetic Switch:

Case Ping Prevention

Building upon the foundation of the Cycle8, we have further optimized the internal structure of the Cycle8. This ensures superior sound performance even without foam filling or modifications, effectively suppressing case ping.

Foam Kits

The Cycle8 comes standard with a foam kit, including three components (mid layer, under-switch PE foam and case foam), to accommodate various assembly configurations.

Vendors

China - VERTEX
North America -   Click Clack
Singapore - iLumkb
EU - Delta Key Co.
UK - proto[Typist]
South Korea - SwagKeys
Australia - Switchkeys
New Zealand - Kiwiclack
Malaysia - Rebult
Vietnam - Soigear
Thailand - Aiglatson
Philippines - Zion
Indonesia - Kukey
Argentina - LATAMKEYS
Ukraine, Poland - Funkeys
Turkey - Rationalkeys
India - NeoMacro
Japan - Basekeys
Taiwan - Typo!works/ Masje

We are committed to delivering the highest quality products at the best possible price.

How to follow news of The Cycle8 or TKD

Join Discords for the latest updates, discussions, and questions

Fill in Interest Check Form:

Follow ClickClack's IG for other new projects:

« Last Edit: Tue, 16 April 2024, 09:18:04 by ClickClack.io »

Offline AstralYT

Re: [IC] TKD Cycle8
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 March 2024, 08:05:22 »
Nut

Offline xLeHoy

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 March 2024, 08:13:29 »
Can't wait to get this!

Offline salmosubi

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 22 March 2024, 08:17:02 »
Will there be option to choose the TKD badge color on the back?

Offline tactilesbad

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 March 2024, 10:22:19 »
everything about this looks more versatile, refined and detailed that some notable limited raffle $700+ bricks with tin can ping

Offline JQ27

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 March 2024, 10:22:28 »
Hotswap ISO? Based.

Offline hzh0525

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 22 March 2024, 11:34:18 »
Hotswap ISO Support Please!

Offline therick

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 22 March 2024, 12:29:16 »
Case options:
└ F12 WK
└ F13 WKL

is this accurate? none of the renders or PCB options show F13

Offline mul7i

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 22 March 2024, 13:52:47 »
Will there be option to choose the TKD badge color on the back?

+1 for options for badge at the back

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io
Re: [IC] TKD Cycle8 - A new chapter
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 22 March 2024, 16:07:15 »
Hello everyone,

Did a full refactoring of post to address some inaccuracy in post and adjusted picture aspect ratios for better reading experience.

Offline Alvi

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 22 March 2024, 16:20:53 »
I was already going to buy one when it comes out (love the colours and weights, and love the engraving above the arrow keys), Hotswap ISO just confirms that further for me.

Offline HoodSwami

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 22 March 2024, 17:04:30 »
This is so enticing, I love these color options
Keeb Goblin

Offline LMarci

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 22 March 2024, 17:14:25 »
Cycle8 my beloved :thumb:

Offline tuxkey

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 22 March 2024, 19:43:38 »
No split right shift.. well i'm out.. thank god .. i have already bought two F1-8X v2.. But have to admit i have bin watching this board for a few weeks on the DeltaKeys discord server..And your colors are amazing. And those two board colors in the first picture are a must have for any keyboard lover.. And it's anodizing !! HOW Amazing is this.

My advice to you is follow Geonworks lead and add a hotswap pcb that not only has RGB (for the fun of it) but also has stepped caps-lock and split right shift to boot!!

Offline soundstage

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 22 March 2024, 21:37:31 »
A hotswap RGB PCB with ISO layout is definitely needed for this keyboard. Hope to see ISO layout on HE PCB as well.

Offline roedelulf

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 22 March 2024, 22:07:36 »
No split right shift.. well i'm out..

Agreed, should definitely be added to all the PCBs. Was planning to get this as a wireless board but without split right shift, I'm not so sure. Maybe they'll come around.

Offline clannadkhang

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 22 March 2024, 22:23:20 »
Hopefully the PCB won't be a **** show like Cycle7

Offline conternecticus

• (¬‿¬ )
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 23 March 2024, 01:43:39 »
I heard there are some problems with the Cycle7 production PCBs. What happened and what has TKD done to make sure that doesn't happen again on the Cycle8?

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 23 March 2024, 03:17:15 »
Hopefully the PCB won't be a **** show like Cycle7
Seriously, I've gone through 3 defective/incorrect PCB's and still trying to get this sorted out almost 2 months after first getting my Cycle7...

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline B4zookaw

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 23 March 2024, 05:33:27 »
Will the ISO hotswap support stepped capslock?

Offline norb

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 23 March 2024, 07:41:52 »
that pink is hawt  :eek: rough estimate on price?

Offline sirieous

• help
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 23 March 2024, 12:11:40 »
Keen to see the price on this

Offline pyrobunny

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 23 March 2024, 12:17:29 »
Beautiful colors and I love the inclusion of titanium weights! If the price isn't far off the Cycle 7 it's an instabuy for me. Also, great to see ISO hotswap support!

Offline Longer

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 23 March 2024, 17:01:31 »
great!
the chance to get a real HE TKL!

Offline B4zookaw

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 23 March 2024, 18:12:46 »
Will the ISO hotswap support stepped capslock?

I see the layout image for ISO Hotswap has now been updated to include this, ty

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 24 March 2024, 09:58:37 »

Agreed, should definitely be added to all the PCBs. Was planning to get this as a wireless board but without split right shift, I'm not so sure. Maybe they'll come around.

explain the usage for split rshift on a tkl?

Offline Lamaboi

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 24 March 2024, 12:20:56 »
Suggestion: use thinner foam for the bottom insulation, preferably some kind of thin antistatic sheet that won't interfere with the board flexing. People been complaining about borked pcb's, but from my experience with the Cycle7 there's also the issue of the pcb hotswap sockets touching the bottom of the case, if there's too much force applied, and triggering a whole row of keystrokes at once. Using the supplied foam prevents the shorting, however it's so thick it takes all the fun out of the gasket bean mount.

Offline kevinzavier

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 24 March 2024, 12:28:33 »
there is non lol. they should just get a 60% at that point

Offline dyrdevil

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 24 March 2024, 13:26:40 »
will this be compatible in wired mode with any other standard tkl pcbs?

Offline twitchytheinsideman

• UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU
    • Twitchy Homepage
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 24 March 2024, 13:39:28 »
let’s see

Offline joni2

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 24 March 2024, 16:06:50 »
If I choose the option to not include the led strip will the led strip engraving not be included as well?
Great work everyone!

Offline roedelulf

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 24 March 2024, 17:10:17 »

A function layer can be used for a lot of things like media controls, macros and so on. It would be nice to have that in the usual location, no split right shift means that fn/menu won't be available with a Tsangan bottom row. In case of the wireless PCB, it could be used for functions like mode switching. Other reasons to include more layouts would be that the competition (Neo 80 for example) does so and that the Cycle7 had better layout support on all PCBs, I'm sure some people would also appreciate split backspace. More options are nice and why not have them?

Offline tuxkey

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 24 March 2024, 17:22:24 »

it's simple really i find a LARGE rshift a waist of space on any board. Why would i not settle on having an extra layer key and one less stab to take care of. And mind you i have just bought 8  packs of TX rev4 stabs. Still i don't like a big ars rshift.. i have two Saka68 with a large rshift and i find it so waistfull and why would i need such a large rshift ? My pinky is not that thick..
a FN key there would make it easy to reach the whole right upper cluster of keys while pressing that fn key. Turning 9 keys in to a mini custom pad that you can do with what you want. Contrast that with just a Big LARGE rshift sitting there all pretty doing nothing. No i don't want to tap dance and do all sorts of finger gymnastics and turn that rshift in to something else thank you very much hahha..ps i also don't like blockers and i love a 6.25 u spacebar for the same reason i don't need a air-strip as my space bar thank you haha..
he to each his/her pref layout.. i like to squeeze out every bit of potential out of my board taking up valuable desk space..
But if you like a Big Large rshift and blockers more power to you..

Offline Exquite

• GeekAnubis
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 24 March 2024, 21:16:04 »
That teal color is so fineee!
I'm a Color lover and a designer.

Offline nebulazy

• gotta go (type) fast
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 25 March 2024, 12:31:18 »
love to see HE PCB options

the case colors are fire
KBD67 Lite, Vulcan Majas v2, Zoom65v2, QK100, Enter67, Cycle7, Cupid65 Hyacinthus, DR-70F, MKC75, Akko SPR75, Chil.key Paw65, NK87EE, NK65AE, NCR80, IBM Model M x2 (early 90s), IBM Selectric III x2, Canon Typestar, and an embarrassingly large hoard... GMK Analog Dreams, Digital Nightmares, Laser Synthwave, Retrowave, Vaporwave

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 25 March 2024, 12:45:06 »
Please add the option for split right shift to both the hotswap PCBs. It's not hard, you just flip the HS sockets 180deg (so they'd be north-facing) and they shouldn't interfere with the stabiliser holes for full length.

Personally I use split RShift to bind Windows key to or Fn with using a WKL layout and it's really comfortable for me.

Offline white_rabbit

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 25 March 2024, 13:39:26 »

Offline tactilesbad

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 26 March 2024, 05:06:18 »
a FN key there would make it easy to reach the whole right upper cluster of keys while pressing that fn key

why are you even considering a tkl

Offline Bokehhbob

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 26 March 2024, 15:31:46 »
that blue is stunning!

Offline roedelulf

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 26 March 2024, 18:50:47 »
why are you even considering a tkl

strange attitude

Offline cass

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 30 March 2024, 08:48:30 »
I heard there are some problems with the Cycle7 production PCBs. What happened and what has TKD done to make sure that doesn't happen again on the Cycle8?

I’ve been keeping an eye out for the global Cycle8 GB! It looks great, and I appreciate the option of lighting strip or no lighting strip, and the unique colors. However, I’d also really like to see a response to this question. I have a lot of concerns after seeing the Cycle7 PCB mess.

Offline haeland

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 31 March 2024, 20:20:33 »
Following— can’t wait to get one. Just wish it was F13 :(

Offline ClingyMonkee

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 02 April 2024, 15:18:46 »
+1 on split right shift. Extra large shift key should be a crime at this day and age.

Offline $W4GK!NG

• Keyboard/Car/Audio Enthusiast
    • Linktree
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 08 April 2024, 23:53:40 »
F13 WKL Pls

Offline leftcoastfunk

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 10 April 2024, 03:54:18 »
F13 WKL Pls

+1 for F13 WKL. Probably a skip for me otherwise  :'(

Offline VXQN

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 10 April 2024, 04:44:50 »
+1 for keeping it F12, and giving a split right shift option.

Offline ClingyMonkee

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 14 April 2024, 16:56:43 »
It would be great if you could share when this is expected to go live. Quite impossible that you don't have an estimated timeline in mind.

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 16 April 2024, 23:09:02 »
Hi everyone,

Please see updated version of Soldered PCB Diagram, it supports:
- Split Backspace
- ISO
- Split Right Shift
and etc.

Offline soundstage

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 17 April 2024, 05:03:33 »
- Split Backspace
- ISO

Pls consider HE PCB in ISO layout as well.

Offline ClingyMonkee

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 17 April 2024, 11:20:14 »
Hi everyone,

- Split Backspace
- ISO
- Split Right Shift
and etc.

I thought the soldered version originally had that option. I'm looking at the zF post, and it's the same. People are asking for split right shift on the HS version, so maybe you could consider that instead.