Author Topic: Monterey Mtek K104 Review  (Read 5122 times)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Monterey Mtek K104 Review
« on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 13:54:26 »

Even though I concentrate on customs, I also really enjoy seeking out older clicky keyboards.  I don't go for the ultra-rare stuff to collect, I am only interested seeing how the different switch types feel.  I type on them and try to picture being in front of a massive old box, humming with a combination of digital and analog power.  It was a time when information technology had a much more tactile feel.  Sometimes I try to remember myself and a child and how I remember the old hardware feel compared to what I experience now.

So, towards that end, I saw an opportunity to pick up a board with Monterey Blues and I jumped on it.  This is a switch type that I never used back in the day.  In this case, I know of Monterey Blues because of discussion on Geekhack and Deskthority.  Officially called SMK Alps mount, they have the nickname "Monterey" because they are usually found in Monterey boards such as this example, here.  They are a tactile, clicky switch.  I don't think it's out of line to say that they have a reputation for being a desirable switch due to its extra clickiness.  I really wanted to try them.

Today I got my opportunity.  I must say that I am pretty disappointed with this board.  Overall, the entire thing just feels cheap.  Much cheaper than the price would suggest.

The switches are definitely clicky.  They do feel more or less like Alps switches.  Compared to the Cherry switches I am used to, they have shorter travel.  The click and actuation point is around the half-way point or perhaps slightly lower.  The spring is pretty light.  The also have a bit of a mushy feel from what I assume is internal switch friction working against the light springs.

The keyboard itself is very flimsy.  It easily flexes and it feels very unsubstantial.  The give of the plastic does not help the feeling of this kind of switch.  It does have a nice classic appearance, and I like the look of the layout, with the big-ass enter key along with the full-size backspace.  That combination moves the backslash to an inconvenient location between the right modifiers, though.  I don't know what use the key in the left position has.  The keycaps are pad printed.

Like many boards from the period, this one has a switch that allows the user to switch between AT and XT.  I use it with an AT->PS2 adapter and Soarer's PS->USB converter.

TL;DR - I got to try an old clicky keyboard that feels kind of junk compared to it's competitors at the time.

Here's some pictures!

« Last Edit: Sat, 09 November 2013, 15:38:17 by metalliqaz »

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
Re: Monterey Mtek K104 Review
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 14:51:17 »
If you think the Mtek is junk don't every buy a Chicony KB5181.  The Mtek makes the 5181 feel cheap.  The Siig minitouch is perhaps the most solid feeling monterey board.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 14:54:54 »
I'm pretty into my Siig Minitouch but Dorkvader and I were talking about Monterey Blues during our roadtrip and he expressed similar thoughts about the switch. I don't think he tried a Minitouch either.

Digging those pictures :D

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 15:37:11 »
If you think the Mtek is junk don't every buy a Chicony KB5181.  The Mtek makes the 5181 feel cheap.  The Siig minitouch is perhaps the most solid feeling monterey board.

I should probably clarify that I don't think the K104 is junk, just that it feels junky compared to, for example, a Model M.  /me edits.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 13:06:24 »

Yeah, the KB-5181 is not really all that impressive of a board.  It has a ton of flex and just feels plastic-y and cheap.  That said, the Monterey Blues are a very interesting switch, but they're overhyped because they're rare.  They're definitely a fun switch to try and to play with, but I wouldn't ever pay a premium for a board with Monterey Blues, even though they're the best and smoothest Alps style switch I've tried so far.