Author Topic: Key switch type vs travel distance for more comfort with arthritic fingers?  (Read 3758 times)

Offline Danielle99

Hi all,

I'd really appreciate your expert advice! I am buying my husband a new keyboard for Christmas and despite the research I'm unsure. He has arthritis in his hands (mainly the little fingers) and struggles with the force of the actuation (I think that's right!). He does gaming at night for an hour or two and works from home regularly too. I would love to get him an actual ergonomic keyboard but he would prefer a gaming one.

I was looking at this keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB MK.2 Low Profile Mechanical Gaming Keyboard which I think will be good for him but was under the impression the Cherry MX Brown switches would be better that Red or Speed? I can't seem to find that combination anywhere so would love some advice if the travel distance or switch type are more important in comfort and fatigue lessening? This was the other choice Corsair Gaming K95 RGB PLATINUM Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - Cherry MX Brown, but totally up for suggestions!

Otherwise I read I could buy the normal profile with o-rings - but the less complicated the better.

Thank you so much for any thoughts!

Danielle
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 November 2018, 18:49:15 by Danielle99 »

Offline vvp

Re: Key switch type vs travel distance for more comfort with arthritic fingers?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 November 2018, 03:50:06 »
There are hardly any experts here. But there is bunch of amateurs which bicker with each other about what is better. Whether it is switches or a keyboard shape. Whether the keyboard should be split or in one piece. Whether it is keyboard slope (forward-backward angle) or keyboard tenting/opening angle (middle part higher than sides) or rotation of a keyboard half (how much should be left and right part rotated to face each other in the horizontal plane). Opinions differ.

See danneb's post: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=98277.0

add switches:
People playing games which require quick key presses in sequence without much precision how many times a key was pressed prefer linear switches (e.g. cherry mx red).
People requesting more assurances about how many times a key was pressed (but to not care that much about speed) prefer some form of a tactile switch (e.g. cherry mx brown).
Some prefer light (easy to press) switches to stress finger less. Other prefer heavier switches so that they do not bottom down(*) that easily. Then there are people who compromise: they take lighter switches and cushion the sudden stop with rubber o-ring. But in such a case it probably makes more sense to just go with a rubber dome keyboard instead of mechanical.

(*) There is some stress to fingers related to sudden switch movement stop when it hits the bottom side of the travel range.

add keyboard shape:
If your husband does not have a problem investing about an hour a day for about  2 weeks to adjust to new layout then I would recommend Kinessis Advantage. It is not a gaming keyboard but one can play games with it easily after key binding redefinition in a game. I played games with Kinesis Advantage for years. The only problem is that the default game key bindings are optimized for a standard layout. They must be redefined to better suit the new keyboard shape.