Author Topic: Matias Clicky (KPB V60 vintage beige)  (Read 7858 times)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Matias Clicky (KPB V60 vintage beige)
« on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 10:17:45 »
Bottom line for me:
This board is charming. Seriously,  It's addictive.  It's not refined, but the exact opposite.  I love it to death.  Clipity cloppity thunka thunka.  Dip switches offer all of the options that I really need.

For comparison, I'm used to MX browns, reds, and blues.  This was my first non-Cherry switch and non-MX mount.  As you can imagine, it's quite different. I was really disappointed with the switches when I first tried it out. The keycaps had a lot more play (wiggle) and the switches felt inconsistent. However, weeks later I find it my daily driver.  I don't know why, but like I said before, it's "charming."  It feels like a good old friend.  A bit battered and bruised and annoyingly loud at times, but you can't stop hanging out with it :)

For typing or for gaming?  It just Depends.

I think long typing sessions would be too fatiguing with this switch. Just a few rounds of long passages from keyhero and I notice that my fingers are starting to get tired. But I love to use it when I code, surf, or play WoW.  I like it in WoW to affirm my keypresses (I've chosen this spell and by God I wanna hear and feel that keypress), but I don't feel that the click is as necessary when simply moving, like in FPS games.  I prefer cherry browns for Overwatch.

These switches are alps mount, as you probably know.  This limits your choice of keycaps (severely),  but honestly these "vintage" stock caps are pretty terrific.  I searched for a week or so for a replacement just because.... well that's what we do. However,  I'm very please with them to this day.  I have a royal glam wooden case coming from massdrop soon that this board will live in.

Pic: Top to bottom, Pok3r with MX browns, Pok3r with MX blues, KPB V60 with matias clicky.  Also, thanks to the community!  2/3 of these boards have come from the classifieds!  :thumb:

Now, to get some LEDs soldering on to those Pok3rs!
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 September 2016, 19:25:37 by reececonrad »

Offline zslane

Re: Matias Clicky (KPB V60 vintage beige)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 15:47:47 »
I just got the Quiet Click version of this board and have been using it for the past couple of days to get a feel for this switch. Normally I am an MX Red user and not used to tactile switches, so I can't review this board from the perspective of a tactile switch expert.

I agree with reececonrad about the wobbliness of the caps; very MX-like I think. But since I'm used to the MX wobblies, I don't really mind.

The higher tension (compared) to MX Red is noticeable, but I don't know yet if it will create typing fatique.

The DIP switches do provide some nice options, but the one option it doen't allow is moving the Fn key to the right Win key position. You can put Fn in any of the other three right-hand bottom-row modifier positions except that one. An odd, and seemingly arbitrary, exception. Not that it matters that much to me, after all, I only use the Caps Lock key as Fn anyway. But it would have been handy to be able to have Fn in the same two spots that it is on my Pok3rs.

I kind of wish the plate was a bit more standardized because I've read that replacing the bottom case shell with a nice aluminum one can be tricky. I'd like to put a black Lambo case under it but I am afraid it won't fit properly (and nobody on MassDrop can report on this one way or the other).

However, the biggest issue for me is the keycaps. The stock biege caps are very thin, laser etched, and cylindrical. I've replaced them with Tai-Hao "Olivette" keycaps which are thicker and double-shot, but still cylindrical. This keyboard is reminding me of why I hate cylindrical keycaps. Lightcycle DSA simply can not get here fast enough.

These switches are very quiet (aside from a little bit of stabilizer rattle) and the switch movement is very crisp. Overall these are nice switches, but I think I prefer Topre switches a little bit more. If only there was a 60% board with silenced Topre switches, MX stem mounts, and the same layout as this board (which is the same as the Pok3r).

One thing I am pleased to confirm is that it works perfectly with my iPad. Which is good because that is the only purpose 60% boards serve for me.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 16:35:57 »
The V60 MTS boards will fit fine in aftermarket cases. The problem is securing them in said cases. The plate doesn't have holes drilled in most of the screw positions even though the PCB does.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74956.0

Offline zslane

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 18:58:26 »
Yeah, "fit" wasn't the right word to use, my bad.

In any event, aftermarket cases are a lost cause for me because I am not willing to drill holes in my V60's plate.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 19:19:12 »
I've resigned to sticking with the stock case.

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 10:16:57 »
Great reviews chaps, thanks. I have a Clicky version arriving this week. I'm coming from MX Browns so I'm quite excited to get this, I have a set of TaiHao Dolch on the way for it, and may also pick up the Alpine set (£££ though..)

Re-casing is an interesting issue, and something I'd like to investigate. I have contacts that can CNC parts and I've had parts made in the past, but when you consider the size of the block of alu you'd need for a 60% case.. not gonna be cheap.

I will inquire though, could even look into getting a small batch made up?

ETA: It arrived 2 days early so I'm typing this edit from it right now. I might just make this sentence drag on and on because it feels so nice. Hmm clacky... OK I'll stop:

« Last Edit: Wed, 11 January 2017, 14:35:35 by smithyithy »
KBD75; Alps64 trio; some other stuff

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 20:24:22 »
I might just make this sentence drag on and on because it feels so nice. Hmm clacky... OK I'll stop:

Show Image

NEVER stop the clack, enjoy and rejoice in it's purity of sound, that means it's sending all your data into your PC in a manly way.

Quiet keyboards are for thieves and hustlers who like to sneak in where they are not welcomed.  Never allow them anywhere in your Life.

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 00:51:14 »
 :):))

Offline dante

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 08:30:33 »
Lightcycle DSA simply can not get here fast enough.

Lightcycle DSA is in limbo.  The last I heard SP raised their prices such that evangs asked if $300 was too much for a set. [YES IT IS.]

Also DSA Alps seems broken by default.  I've read of too many people breaking their stems because it's simply too tight.  Probably the best advice is to lube the keycap stems, put them on and leave them on.  I'm not sure if the keycaps stay on long enough if the stem will compress/conform to the environment to make it safer taking off years from when installed.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 09:04:25 »
I still love my V60, but I sure do wish someone made thicker caps.  I have some of the Tai Hoa Olivette (doubleshot ABS) on my board now, and although they look a LOT better than the vintage beige, they are actually thinner.  :(

If lightcycle does come to market, I think I'd be fine with committing it as a permanent set and just plan to never remove them.

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 09:54:47 »
I have some of the Tai Hoa Olivette (doubleshot ABS) on my board now, and although they look a LOT better than the vintage beige, they are actually thinner.  :(

That's interesting. The TaiHao doubleshot PBT caps I have on my Magicforce are thicker and feel much nicer than the vintage caps on my V60.

It must be down to the material then - I have to say, for the £25 I paid for the TaiHao, they're a lovely set of caps, the texture is rougher and thus more tactile than the Vintage caps, and they seem to have more of a 'thunk' when they bottom out on the aluminium, compared to the sharper clack of the vintage.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 10:00:21 »
I'll post a photo later (at work right now) to show the thickness of stock vs. the Tai Hoa. I'm okay with it because they aren't charging and arm and a leg, and also because they're theoretically more durable.

I was surprised because I honestly didn't think it was possible to make the caps much thinner than the stock ones... but they are.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 01:12:28 »
Okay, here are some photos to show in more detail the Tai Hoa Olivette Alps set.

First of all, here they are on my V60 Matias Click:
157727-0

I did a side by side color comparison (using a white sheet of paper to help Photoshop to white balance correctly because my lights are pretty yellow):
157729-1

And this last photo shows a thickness comparison.  I would say the Tai Hoa are a tiny bit thicker on 3 sides and the same thickness as the stock caps on the fourth.  Well, I wouldn't put the work "thick" anywhere in there, actually.  It's more like a thinness comparison :)
157731-2

I definitely prefer the legends on the Olivette over the vintage beige stock caps, and I can't complain too much about the thinness because the price is fair.
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 January 2017, 01:17:12 by reececonrad »

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 06:28:01 »
Good post, they look great :)

I should have my Dolch arriving this week, though I'd like to grab a set of Alpine Winter  :rolleyes:

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 06:31:25 »
I might just make this sentence drag on and on because it feels so nice. Hmm clacky... OK I'll stop:

Show Image

that means it's sending all your data into your PC in a manly way.

can you explain what you mean by this

please respond
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace