Author Topic: Why do people hate MX browns?  (Read 27878 times)

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
Re: Why do people hate MX browns?
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 05:10:46 »
...or, y'know, don't bottom out.
How do you not bottom out on anything lighter than 68g?
null

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 05:54:16 »
Easily. It took me several keyboard swaps to learn that though.

At first, I switched from some decent rubber dome to complicated white Alps or Cherry MX Black. I bottomed out all the time and felt fatigued, because of the stiffness. Getting a keyboard with MX Red and thick keycaps was a bliss; I immediately started to enjoy the cloud of boobs (barely any bottoming out). Then I finally built my ErgoDox with stock clears, but still kept the board with reds for gaming. I had to exercise a bit to rebuild strength in fingers for the clears, and I think it was crucial that I didn't abandon reds in the process. I've been able to adjust myself to almost any kind of key mechanism ever since.

Offline spiritistz

• Daily Driver: RF 87U 55g
    • http://bgm.tv/
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 06:10:41 »
I don't hate MX brown, I just can't stand the noise every time when you bottom it out, which all the MX switch dose, which means...
I don't like MX switch really  :(

O-rings, then. It's what people do when they don't like the noise.

Could give a try, but I'm falling in love with my Topre board atm so nvm

Filco NINJA Brown Switch for sale.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #103 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 09:49:28 »
mostly racism.

if it was mx whites they'd all love it. but since it's brown, it's inferior.

why do you think these racists like vintage blacks more than new blacks?

****ing racists.

To be fair, I don't like Browns but I do like Whites... And Greens and Blues.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 14:13:29 »
People hate Browns because ideally they think Browns would be the best all around switch, there's feedback without being clicky, and light enough to actuate.

However what you end up getting, is a switch that has very poor tactility so tactile users don't like it, but clearly not linear either. It feels like something is stuck in a MX Red. In the world of made up statistics today, I postulate that 80% of the people who use Browns, are actually looking for Clears. "But Clears are heavier". Sure, but really only at bottom out. It's marginally heavier at actuation, but the tactility is incredibly improved.

For unlubricated switches, the best all around tactile switch is about a 68g ergo-Clear. For linear switches, probably a ghost Black. For clicky, white lightning (MX White with spring from MX blue).

Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #105 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 15:04:05 »
I like browns, but I like topre better.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 15:22:06 »
Easily. It took me several keyboard swaps to learn that though.

At first, I switched from some decent rubber dome to complicated white Alps or Cherry MX Black. I bottomed out all the time and felt fatigued, because of the stiffness. Getting a keyboard with MX Red and thick keycaps was a bliss; I immediately started to enjoy the cloud of boobs (barely any bottoming out). Then I finally built my ErgoDox with stock clears, but still kept the board with reds for gaming. I had to exercise a bit to rebuild strength in fingers for the clears, and I think it was crucial that I didn't abandon reds in the process. I've been able to adjust myself to almost any kind of key mechanism ever since.

Lol you lost me "barely any bottoming out" with MX Red. You must have really dexterous fingers and I guess I must have gorilla fingers, which isn't far from the truth because I am an ex-gymnast - my finger/hand strength is abnormally high (even though my fingers are actually quite long and thin)

From personal experience, the only switch I have been able to not bottom out on was stock MX Clears but even then it was a conscious effort.
null

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 15:28:56 »
I have some background in martial arts and climbing though (but I think it utilizes slightly different muscles).