Author Topic: Ergonomic left handed numpad  (Read 6745 times)

Offline asgeirtj

Ergonomic left handed numpad
« on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 15:45:29 »
I've been thinking about numpad layouts lately.  So here's the deal, I'm right handed.  And we all know the appeal of small keyboards is that the travel distance from home row to the mouse is shorter.  So if you have a separate numpad I'd think that it would be best to have it on the left side so the travel distance is still short for right handed people.  However there is one problem when using it on the left side (apart from that you need to relearn the touch typing) is that you could use your pinky for the enter and plus keys, when it's on the right side the thumb are on those keys and it's very clumsy to reach the plus sign at least with that. 

I saw that there is at least one keyboard which has this problem fixed to my knowledge http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard/black-left-handed-keypad-keyboard.asp

So I was wondering if there was a mech numpad available with this setup?

Also pro of having the numpad to the left that I can think of:  You can be mousing when entering number data, this is really good for my job for example.

Extra consideration:  I'm thinking about if having the navigation cluster on the left side is good idea.  Surely it will look horrid but it might be good to save homerow-mouse travel, but in any case if one would have that consideration very high one would probably go 75%-60%-40%
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Ergonomic left handed numpad
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 16:07:55 »
This is a very interesting idea!  I've never seen a left handed numberpad but you could always handwire a standard one with the plate upside-down so the big keys are on the other side.  You'd need to find one where any mounting holes were in the middle or corners so it still attached to the case though...

As to the arrows I think they're better staying on the right hand so you can skip back through your numerical input with the arrows and add a missed number or select cell(s) without moving from the numbers.  I'm mainly in Excel, your needs may be different :)

I have a matrix numberpad so will have to try this out and see if Matias are right in their "one handed keyboard" that you can simply mirror a layout and muscle memory takes over so the numbers need to be backwards, or if the one as in the pic you linked is easier to learn.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline plainbriny

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 21:17:16 »
I think a single-handed ergodox with flipped controller and keys can serve your purpose well.
The only one problem is that you got a lot of extra keys, and it will be bigger than ordinary numpads.

Offline cogito_ergo_sum

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 02:28:53 »
Another option is to remap an embedded keypad to the left side. For the past 2 years, I have used this setup on my Kinesis Advantage.

I have an extra enter key where 'b' is (the left thumb cluster could be remapped though), and an extra '0' on the key beneath 'x', and use both when I must use the mouse. I prefer to use the default embedded '0' and enter in the right thumb cluster. I use a foot pedal to toggle back to the non-embedded layer when I need to use letters.

If remapping to the left side on a Kinesis, you retain numpad navigation, i.e. numlock off, so you can have navigation on the left if you want it. This actually puts pgdn and pgup in better positions.

Prior to using the Kinesis, I used Autohotkeys to remap these keys, but IT locked the computer down and eliminated Autohotkeys  :(

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 22:36:49 »
I can't recall where I saw this, but I thought at one point I did run into a separate num pad that was made for right or left handed users.  It's been a couple of years and I'm sure it was a cheap rubber membrane vs something worthy, but I think it did exist.

Offline cogito_ergo_sum

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 13:37:27 »
A search on Amazon for "mechanical keypad" or "usb keypad" finds several with the enter and + facing inside. There are also a lot with the enter and + on the outside.

An example which may go on my 'consider further' list:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001XTRX5W/ref=psdc_2998471011_t3_B0038KN3YY#descriptionAndDetails
It says the keys are programmable, but I don't have details yet.

One could also try this:
http://www.amazon.com/Genovation-Controlpad-CP24-Keypad-CP24-USBHID/dp/B00O1ASXKO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_328_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=21WN6aKyk%2BL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0RCD9WA8WJ38KEBQZNM8
which is fully programmable. I use the 48 key version, but not for numeric input - the keys are very springy.

Offline cogito_ergo_sum

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 12:52:25 »
Here's another link. The description says it's mechanical.
http://www.fentek-ind.com/modular.htm#.Vi0V1H6rRjU
Enter and + are on the inside.

Offline geekhack360

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 02:01:43 »
I have a DSI left handed keyboard:
http://www.dsi-keyboards.com/shop/brands/dsi-left-handed-usb-keyboard-with-cherry-mechanical-red-key-switches-new/

It has cherry blue switches.
There are various left handed mechanical switch keyboards and they're all either made by the same company or are clones.

My only complaint with it is the shrimpy backspace button, but I got used to it.

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 14:31:55 »
I use left hand keyboard too. It is from DSI cherry mx red. Or kbt race with numpad on the left.
Inverse numpad is fine for me I would love to try. But don't have much mechanical choice. Get a Genovation numpad is probably a good way.

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 15:29:04 »
Why don't you just start using your mouse with your left hand after swapping the primary and secondary mouse buttons?