Author Topic: Hello! What tactile switches should I get?  (Read 4047 times)

Offline tatsubame

Hello! What tactile switches should I get?
« on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 06:10:17 »
Hello everyone! I recently got into mechanical keyboard seriously. And after starting with my first set of switches, the Gateron Browns, I have been on the search for something more tactile, as I feel like the Gateron Browns dont feel tactile enough. And after that, I have been perpetually searching for the perfect tactile switch for me. So far, I was able to buy a set of 10 switches for Zealios 67gs and Kailh Burnt Oranges. And trying both, I prefer the Kailh Burnt Oranges. And although I could keep on doing this to try all of the switches, I don't have infinite resources and so, I resorted to asking from experiences. Should I get a full set of Kailh Heavy Burnt Oranges? or would I miss out on the experiences of something different, like the T1s, C3 Kiwis, or even the GPandas? I wish to be able to try them all but sadly I can't, and so I hope to ask for advice and recommendations. Thank you so much!

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: Hello! What tactile switches should I get?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 06:37:58 »
Tactility depends on how strong you want the bump to be. Kinda suprised you like Burn oranges since they feel like Gateron brown not much tactility. But if you want a stronger brown but not that strong as Ergo clears you can look at Greetech browns. Greetech browns are more tactile then your Gateron and Cherry but not to the point they are as tactile as Zealios.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 09:50:31 »
I don't have Greetech brown
But I want them.
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline dwrowe

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 10:46:04 »
I just built a 75% with Zealios Purple - 78g and the bump feels pretty nice - only a few days into typing full-time on it.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 16:14:46 »
For me I don't like Zealios and heavy weight because I am fast typer

So then I don't like it to be a large bump to overcome

And also I don't want it to hurt my hands after a while
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline frydaja

• "It's my last keyboard, I swear"
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 07:14:25 »
Kailh Box Browns? More pronounced bump than MX Browns (or clones), right at the top, less wobble and the weighting is identical to MX Browns.

They just turn clicky after weeks to months of use.
Anne Pro 2 w/ Kailh Box Browns | CM Storm Quickfire TK Stealth w/ MX Browns | Unknown Chinese keyboard w/ Outemu Reds | Compaq-branded NMB RT101 | Gigabyte Force K81 w/Kailh Reds

Offline xwind

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 09:53:44 »
It totally depends on what kind of tactility you are looking for. Check the pressure profiles on the input.club for details, this will help to understand different switches a bit. My experience is limited to the light switches (I already find Cherry MX Blue as almost too heavy). Anyway in my mind MX compatible tactile switches are split into two groups. With long pretravel, and almost without. I absolutely love the former and loathe the latter. I did not try any of the heavy ones, as I find them generally unpleasant for a fast typing.

The first group consists of:
-Cherry MX Brown (the default)
-Gateron Brown (very similar, but a tad mushier)
-Greetech Brown (stronger bump (as in requires more force), I personally find it unpleasant, and the bump is almost too early)
-Outemu Brown (sharper bump (as in more concentrated in one spot), actually nice)

The other group is pretty much the rest of them:
-Kailh Box Brown (bump is very early and very time stretched, but overall pleasant) (Hako Violet should be close but lighter)
-Kailh Pro Purple (wtf is this ****, there is almost no tactility)
-Kailh Speed Copper (super early, but sharp bump, the absence of pretravel is a killer)

If I were to design my personal switch, I would want essentially a tad crisper and tad lighter (30 g - 35 g) Outemu Brown: with 1.5 mm - 1.6 mm pretravel, not more than 10 g bump within 0.4 mm within actuation (almost like a Kailh Box White click bar tactility), and 2 mm actuation. Which feels almost linear on fast typing, and allows to pre-press a key and hold it at the bump wall in certain scenarios (like a Glock trigger).