Author Topic: Steezy60: Alps and SMK 60% PCB with split space support and more  (Read 52980 times)

Offline Applet

Steezy60: Alps and SMK 60% PCB with split space support and more
« on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 01:41:24 »
Intro:
This project originated as making a SMK and a Alps PCB with split space support and Cherry PCB mount stabilizers as I recently fell in love with split space, and then it grew a bit out of hand. :D I wanted to try and squeeze in a big support for different layouts, while being able to give the same layout support for both the Alps PCB and the SMK PCB, mostly as a fun challenge for myself. I have always liked the versatility of 60% and how some do some creative/funky layouts. I know some do not like the "swiss cheese"-PCB's. See this as an alternative, for a cleaner PCB with less layout support, there are other great PCB's like the Plain60 Alps Edition and Alps64. This is more like a DZ60 but for Alps and SMK switches. I also added the possibility to put a Cherry MX switch on 7u space and 6.25u space positions on the SMK PCB. This to be able to put a silenced MX switch there (i dislike loud spacebars).

Specs:
  • QMK-support
  • VIA-support with limited layout options
  • ATmega32U2 (both QFN and QFP)
  • ESD-protection
  • Polyfuse
  • USB-C
  • Standard tray-mount
  • Standard daughter board connector (unified daughterboard)
  • Underglow using 12qt WS2812B
  • GH60 horizontal USB placement (like plain60, voyager60 etc)
Layout support:
255195-0

Renders of PCB:
274462-1
274464-2

Github-repo:
Steezy60: https://github.com/4pplet/Steezy60
Files are available on my Github if someone wants to use them, but please realize I take no responsibility. Designed in Altium 20.

QMK-link:
https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/tree/master/keyboards/4pplet/steezy60

Current method for flashing:
If you want to reprogram it using VIA:
1: Make sure you have the VIA-compatible firmware flashed (make 4pplet/steezy60/rev_a:via)
2: Connect PCB/keyboard to PC
3: Open VIA
4: Now you should be able to change keymap etc in via

If you want to reprogram it using QMK:
1: Follow official guide to setup QMK
3: Run make command from root folder: "make 4pplet/steezy60/rev_a:default"
4: Connect PCB and press button to enter DFU
5: Depending on system, use suitable programmer (dfu/flip etc) to flash PCB
6: Make modifications to code and reflash

Files for manufacturing:
JLC can do most of the assembly (probably cheapest for low volume), but you'll likely need to solder the MCU yourself.

The PCB can be built in three different configurations. Tray mount with USB-C connector or daughterboard connector in two different places. Make sure to select BOM depending on which configuration is needed.

SMK Rev A4: https://github.com/4pplet/Steezy60/releases/tag/A5_SMK
ALPS Rev A4: https://github.com/4pplet/Steezy60/releases/tag/A5_ALPS
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 August 2021, 04:16:04 by Applet »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Steezy60 - Alps and SMK 60% PCB with split space support and more
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 03:40:17 »
That is a lot of layout options, really helpful putting the BOM on the silkscreen too - good work!

One question: why is D215 in the bottom corner, is that where split backspace is in the matrix?  Just preparing to help an enthusiastic newbie with poor soldering skills somewhere down the line :))
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Applet

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 03:56:21 »
That is a lot of layout options, really helpful putting the BOM on the silkscreen too - good work!

One question: why is D215 in the bottom corner, is that where split backspace is in the matrix?  Just preparing to help an enthusiastic newbie with poor soldering skills somewhere down the line :))
Thanks!  :D Yes, that is correct, D215 is for the split backspace, well spotted!

Split backspace switch is placed on the bottom row in the matrix, I have since updated the numbering on the diodes a bit (not reflecting switch position, only reflecting position in the 14x5 matrix). I updated the main post with current diode numbering on Alps-PCB. Same numbering will be on SMK PCB.

If anyone have tips for improvement, I gladly take feeback on the design
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 November 2019, 04:42:22 by Applet »

Offline 4sStylZ

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 03:23:17 »
Hi Applet. Curently there is no PCB for AEK2 ISO, I don’t know exactly why but this can be very cool to have this layout supported.
Bépo user here : AEK64 White linear dampened, XD75 Cherry Blue Jailhoused, TypeMatrix2030 black skin, Lenovo 0B47200 w/ trackpoint, G13, G512. Kensington Expert Trackball & Orbit, Magic touchpad 2.

Offline Applet

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 03:34:31 »
Hi Applet. Curently there is no PCB for AEK2 ISO, I don’t know exactly why but this can be very cool to have this layout supported.
The ISO AEK2 is very different, everything is shifted. I've been planning to check out the possibility for making a 60% AEK2 ISO PCB since I also noticed there are no boards, but that will most likely be a separate project.

Offline d.caminero

Re: Steezy60: Alps and SMK 60% PCB with split space support and more
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 04:15:18 »
Very excited to see a project like this! I've been looking and hoping for a split spacebar pcb for ALPS for a long time.
Are you interested in running a GB? I'd take at least 2 pcb's since I have a few projects ongoing, but could use your gerber files if you don't want to run a GB.

Offline Applet

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 04:23:18 »
Very excited to see a project like this! I've been looking and hoping for a split spacebar pcb for ALPS for a long time.
Are you interested in running a GB? I'd take at least 2 pcb's since I have a few projects ongoing, but could use your gerber files if you don't want to run a GB.
Glad you like it  :D Gerbers and BOM will be up this weekend, there is a working QMK-port for it in my github, but it is a bit rough (just raw matrix, switches not in order like on the PCB). I'd be willing to run a GB in the beginning of next year if there is interest, at the moment I do not have the time for it unfortunately.

Before GB, I'd like to have had the time to try all the switch positions so all the layout options works as intended (with some exclusions where I do not have keycaps for it, like bae and BAE).
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 November 2019, 04:41:07 by Applet »

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 02:42:08 »
Glad you like it  :D Gerbers and BOM will be up this weekend, there is a working QMK-port for it in my github, but it is a bit rough (just raw matrix, switches not in order like on the PCB). I'd be willing to run a GB in the beginning of next year if there is interest, at the moment I do not have the time for it unfortunately.

Before GB, I'd like to have had the time to try all the switch positions so all the layout options works as intended (with some exclusions where I do not have keycaps for it, like bae and BAE).

Fair enough! I think I could help you trying a BAE layout, although I should check if it's the "typical" BAE layout.
Anyway, I'm very interested in this :) Should you not make a GB I'd order some pcb's for myself :D

Offline Applet

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 05:41:34 »
Hi Applet. Curently there is no PCB for AEK2 ISO, I don’t know exactly why but this can be very cool to have this layout supported.
I looked a bit closer to the AEK 60% ISO, and I'll make a PCB for it soon, the problem is the tray mount mounting positions, you won't be able to use all the mounting positions in a standard tray mount case. I'll make a PCB tho, since it hopefully should work ok in a tray mount, and it is not an issue if using other mounts (for example this will need a custom plate for a top mount case, like TX60). I'll make a separate thread for that when I have something to show and discuss. The ISO AEK-keycaps are great, so it would be fun if people are able to use them without having to handwire.

Fair enough! I think I could help you trying a BAE layout, although I should check if it's the "typical" BAE layout.
Anyway, I'm very interested in this :) Should you not make a GB I'd order some pcb's for myself :D
Sounds good!
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 November 2019, 05:45:50 by Applet »

Offline Applet

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 30 November 2019, 13:19:55 »
I put up the gerbers and BOM etc today, let me know if you have questions or such

Current releases:
SMK: https://github.com/4pplet/Steezy60-SMK/releases/tag/B3
ALPS: https://github.com/4pplet/Steezy60-ALPS/releases/tag/A3

Cheers!
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 December 2019, 05:49:35 by Applet »

Offline Hapi

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 06:41:01 »
Hello, what progress is there? :) could you please add jst sh foot print to both boards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Applet

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 07:49:29 »
Status currently: I'm using the PCB in a SMK-orange build that I use semi-daily. Will be building a Alps-board when I get the time for it, but it will be a few months away. Still need to push my QMK-port to the main repo, that code is currently still only in my repo.

I'll look into the connector. If we find the type of connector and pinout, we can add it  ;D

Offline Hapi

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 08:39:59 »
if PCBWAY could make boards, including assembly, I would help with testing. I need 5 boards each. I will ask the rama support what connector they are using.

This is screen from Taeha's Rama Thermal proto build stream
233571-0

the connector position is the same as wt60-a (keycult) and M60-A-PCB (Rama)

KBDfans DZ60RGB
233577-3

Did it help you?

Offline Applet

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 04:10:04 »
if PCBWAY could make boards, including assembly, I would help with testing. I need 5 boards each. I will ask the rama support what connector they are using.

This is screen from Taeha's Rama Thermal proto build stream
(Attachment Link)

the connector position is the same as wt60-a (keycult) and M60-A-PCB (Rama)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

KBDfans DZ60RGB
(Attachment Link)

Did it help you?
It does help, but I still need pinout and which connector it is. You could solder the cables to the current breakout, but it would be much nicer with the connector (then it is non destructive). Do anyone else know what connector it is?

You do know that you need a custom plate for building a ALPS Rama Thermal, right? A blue ALPS Rama Thermal sounds like a really nice build, what keycaps and layout are you planning to use? ;D

PCBWay should be able to do it but I have not done it there, we would have to check. I have been making the prototypes from JLCPCB and they have no issues. Since there is no USB-connector needed for the Rama Thermal, JLCPCB should be able to do all the assembly also. All components needed is available in their assembly service.

Offline Hapi

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 12:08:17 »
1. i waiting for reply from Wilba

2. I need both versions. I need find best solution for my daily keyboard. I have three types of switches. SKCM blue alps, SMK 2nd and i-rocks blue. So i build three test keyboards.
- SMK supports MX keycaps and i have 1000+ pcs for replacements.  AND i don't have to have a custom plate.
- ALPS is extremely rare for daily use. I programming 12-16 hours a day
- i-rocks is blue alps clone witch MX stem... But I haven't tested it yet. That would be a very unique solution.

Keycaps for alps are a problem. I have AEKII keycaps but black keyboard. And Yuri DCS kit from mass drop.

I just build thee pok3r compatible keyboards and the winner gets thermal.

This PCB is pretty universal.I buy a lot of them: D

Offline Hapi

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 13:27:06 »
Its JST SH. I found datasheet. I think this is SHR-04V-S. I don't think there are more options.
https://www.jst-belgium.be/downloads/series/eSH(19-04-02).pdf

Offline Hapi

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 17:40:20 »
wilba sent me this:
https://github.com/ai03-2725/Unified-Daughterboard

@Hapi same pinout as this
i.e. the cable is 1:1, pin 1->pin 1
JST on PCB is same pinout as JST on daughterboard

Offline Applet

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 03:03:29 »
Fantastic! This gives me all I need. I'll add the connector this weekend. :D

I've been thinking about building a i-rocks keyboard myself, they are intriguing but I do not have very high expectations. However, they need MX-style center hole in the PCB (you'll also need a custom plate). I'll look into how it affects the Alps PCB, if there is no issues, I can add it. I left it out because of PCB rigidity and ascetics, and that is kind of a moot point in a "Swiss cheese PCB".

Regarding keycaps, if we are lucky, maybe Matias will release his PBT Alps keycaps this hear  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 January 2020, 03:26:12 by Applet »

Offline Hapi

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 03:32:25 »
Yes. You can use it. :)

I dont know about center hole. I dont have i-rocks switches yet. I ordered one keyboard. I won't get it until late February. My friend has a laser at work. I'll have more plate options for thermal and pok3r.

Keycaps are a problem. GMK is the best choice. That's why I think a lot about SMK. For ALPS you have to select the layout according to keycaps. And it is hard to change them without changing the layout.

For i-rocks I'll probably try to make my own PCB. I wanted to try it anyway.
The ALPS / MX board should be sufficient for testing.

Offline Applet

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 15:05:32 »
Fixed this during the weekend but did not get around to do the release. :D

Connector is now added and I think pinout etc is correct. I still need to test and implement underglow in code, I'm planning to do that when I do a prototype of the AEKISO60-PCB.

Latest release with the connector:
Steezy60-SMK Rev B4: https://github.com/4pplet/Steezy60-SMK/releases/tag/B4
Steezy60-Alps Rev A4: https://github.com/4pplet/Steezy60-ALPS/releases/tag/A4

Offline Hapi

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 05:13:59 »
awesome. Thank you very much

by the way I finally have an i-rocks switch

Offline Applet

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 06:51:42 »
Yes, from my understanding the i-rocks use the Alps footprint but also have a MX center-stem. So if you make a custom PCB, I think you can just take the Alps footprint and add the MX-center stem, not sure about the internal LED tho. How is the feel?

Offline Hapi

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 12:55:27 »
They are better than MX like switches. Actuation force is smaller than matias switch. The sound is a bit higher. But they are very good switches. They are a bit worse than Matias and much better than MX clones. I'm still waiting for a comparison with the SMK. The LED is easy to remove.

Offline TheWG

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 16:22:25 »
Hello,

Does the alps PCB support both of the known positions for ISO-enter switch?
Info from Alps64 thread:
There are three theoretical mount positions, 1u, 1.25u and 1.5u. See pictures and figure below. Matias has 1.25u mount, Dell and Alps have 1.5u mount and ISO Enter with 1u mount is not confirmed its existence yet.

------- -------
      |       |       |
      |   +   |   +   | 1u
      |       |   |   |
       ------- -------
            |     |   |
            |    +|   | 1.25u
            |    ||   |
            `---------'
          |      ||   |
          |     +||   | 1.5u
          |     |||   |
          `-----------'
          .-----------, 1.5u
          |     |||   |
          |     |||   |
           `    +++   |
            |         |
            |         |
            `---------' 1.25u

Regarding the i-rocks: they are interesting switches. I've built a TKL-board with the LFK-TKL pcb using those. I couldn't really get into them so after a short while I stopped using them. One reason I think it was the sound, it doesn't compare to alps-switches. The feeling of the switch is what I only can describe as "off", not my favourite. One thing to keep in mind when building with these switches is that the holes for the mounting plate is neither the same size as cherry or alps if i remember correctly.

Offline Applet

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 02:25:58 »
Hello,

Does the alps PCB support both of the known positions for ISO-enter switch?
Info from Alps64 thread:
There are three theoretical mount positions, 1u, 1.25u and 1.5u. See pictures and figure below. Matias has 1.25u mount, Dell and Alps have 1.5u mount and ISO Enter with 1u mount is not confirmed its existence yet.

------- -------
      |       |       |
      |   +   |   +   | 1u
      |       |   |   |
       ------- -------
            |     |   |
            |    +|   | 1.25u
            |    ||   |
            `---------'
          |      ||   |
          |     +||   | 1.5u
          |     |||   |
          `-----------'
          .-----------, 1.5u
          |     |||   |
          |     |||   |
           `    +++   |
            |         |
            |         |
            `---------' 1.25u

Regarding the i-rocks: they are interesting switches. I've built a TKL-board with the LFK-TKL pcb using those. I couldn't really get into them so after a short while I stopped using them. One reason I think it was the sound, it doesn't compare to alps-switches. The feeling of the switch is what I only can describe as "off", not my favourite. One thing to keep in mind when building with these switches is that the holes for the mounting plate is neither the same size as cherry or alps if i remember correctly.
Yes, the PCB supports both of the known positions, as well as the 1u. Tho this is still untested. Unfortunately, I have no ISO-keycaps to test with. There is quite a bit of the layouts that is yet to be tested and verified (the downside with so many layout options).

If there is interest in helping verify the design, I can make a small mini GB, but then, be aware that much is still untested. :D

Offline TheWG

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 14:23:44 »
I'd be interested in helping verifying the design. I'm not sure when I'm going to do the builds though, I do not have all the other stuff for a keyboard right now. I have multiple ISO-keycaps using both the 1.25u and 1.5u mount. I was going to try to order PCBs myself from jlcpcb myself but if you arrange a mini group buy I'd be interested in that. In case you order them, will the surface-mounted components be assembled? I'm not interested in soldering those components myself.

Offline Applet

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 04:24:24 »
I'd be interested in helping verifying the design. I'm not sure when I'm going to do the builds though, I do not have all the other stuff for a keyboard right now. I have multiple ISO-keycaps using both the 1.25u and 1.5u mount. I was going to try to order PCBs myself from jlcpcb myself but if you arrange a mini group buy I'd be interested in that. In case you order them, will the surface-mounted components be assembled? I'm not interested in soldering those components myself.
Sounds great! I can arrange a mini GB with soldered components, it will not be right now tho, since I have a few other projects taking up my time currently :D

Offline Hapi

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 04:25:34 »
Sounds great! I can arrange a mini GB with soldered components, it will not be right now tho, since I have a few other projects taking up my time currently :D
That sounds nice

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 07:39:02 »
I am also interested in the mini-GB. I do have some diverse alps keysets with different layouts and could help in that regard.

Offline Wolframme

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 13:19:45 »
You can count me as very interested as well.

Offline 4sStylZ

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 07:08:46 »
Interested too for the mini gb :)
Bépo user here : AEK64 White linear dampened, XD75 Cherry Blue Jailhoused, TypeMatrix2030 black skin, Lenovo 0B47200 w/ trackpoint, G13, G512. Kensington Expert Trackball & Orbit, Magic touchpad 2.

Offline Applet

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 04:50:31 »
I will be making a few of these soon (populated with components). Correct me if I’m wrong, biggest interest is the Alps PCB, right?

I have also started adding VIA-support, it’s a bit of a pain with all the layout options ;D
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 March 2020, 04:54:29 by Applet »

Offline Wolframme

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 08:57:40 »
I will be making a few of these soon (populated with components). Correct me if I’m wrong, biggest interest is the Alps PCB, right?

I have also started adding VIA-support, it’s a bit of a pain with all the layout options ;D

I should've specified, I'm interested in the SMK pcb.

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 09:33:52 »

Looking for ALPS pcb

Offline gnhuy91

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 13:28:32 »
Just found this gem, super interested!

Offline Applet

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 04:24:07 »
Short update:

Things have been progressing a bit slow during these times. I have ordered 5 prototypes of the ALPS-PCB that I hope to get out to some of the kind people who have shown interest (sent PM) to help me test the design and verify the layout options.  ;D

I have been adding a flexcut to all my 60% PCB's (2x200mm), so we'll get to try that out also, the prototypes will be in green.

239219-0
239221-1

I'm not sure when I will get the PCB's, due to corona, but I ordered with DHL shipping, and as far as I know, they still ship to my country.  :thumb:

What do you think?

EDIT: I will center the SMK-logo on silkscreen better, just realized it looks a bit off.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 April 2020, 10:00:30 by Applet »

Offline gnhuy91

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 05:53:46 »
flex cuts is the jam

Offline Wolframme

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 09:56:28 »
Looking nice! Glad to see some progress.

Offline Applet

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 09:52:46 »
Sorry for being inactive, I've just been busy.  :-[

So, you might think there already is a silly amount of layout options. BUT, I was cleaning out/selling some keyboard stuff and found my old Alps spherical keycaps and thought I'd see if I could make them fit. Sadly, the weird return-key and 1.5u shift is not supported.
244549-0

So, since the PCB is already a swiss chease so I thought, why not! I've added support for canon spherical keycaps, both on the SMK and Alps PCB in revision A3, I'll upload the releases later.  ;D

Now you could do a Canon/Alps HHKB 60%, or just add some other 1.5u keycap
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 June 2020, 09:57:11 by Applet »

Offline toniwonkanobi

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 07:20:59 »
Thanks for telling me about this project! For an SGI Granite layout, I'd need the 7U space, but I don't see a layout version listed that's Alps compatible? Or is it, and I just missed it. (I saw one that says MX switches for the 7U space.)

Offline Applet

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 07:32:43 »
Thanks for telling me about this project! For an SGI Granite layout, I'd need the 7U space, but I don't see a layout version listed that's Alps compatible? Or is it, and I just missed it. (I saw one that says MX switches for the 7U space.)
Regular 7u "Tsangan" is supported for alps, SGI Granite is supported.  :thumb:

MX-switch for 7U space is for SMK-version (it also has support for a 7u SMK switch).

Like I mentioned tho, these are currently not in stock. I plan to make more available after summer in both Alps and SMK. Feel free to order PCB's and build for yourself tho if you have the time and know-how, project is open sourced. :D
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 June 2020, 07:36:03 by Applet »

Offline NorrittMTG

• * Vendor
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 07:00:34 »
Yo, whats the status of this project currently?
Have i missed the GB?

Offline Applet

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 07:14:40 »
You have not missed the GB, things are progressing a bit slow.

Current status:
5 prototypes have been sent to users for test. I got the code added to main line QMK a few days ago: https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/tree/master/keyboards/4pplet/steezy60

Not done:
The VIA implementation is till very in beta and there is no implementation of QMK-toolbox. What is peoples options on this, needed for GB?

Plan:
My current plan is to do a GB for both SMK and Alps-version after summer vacation, so likely late August.

Offline gnhuy91

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 07:41:37 »
cool im waiting for more info regarding new revision, and ofc GB would awesome, going to get both smk and alps version!

Offline Hapi

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 07:51:20 »
Alps version works fine :) now im waiting for smk version. :)

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 13:34:19 »
Sorry for dumb question but why are the SMK pins facing the top?

Offline Applet

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 04:44:07 »
You mean they should be rotated 180 degrees? To my understanding, SMK switches are symetrical in their rotation north to south?

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 18:05:18 »
You mean they should be rotated 180 degrees? To my understanding, SMK switches are symetrical in their rotation north to south?

I did not know if it matters. I just asked someone to design a PCB for me with a footprint out of the LKF repo with Alps pins on top and SMK gen 2 pins on bottom and wanted to know if I made a mistake. Sounds like it's good either way. Thanks again for your time and good luck with the designs.

Did you keep the fixing pin holes at 1.5mm?

Offline Applet

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 01:41:25 »

I did not know if it matters. I just asked someone to design a PCB for me with a footprint out of the LKF repo with Alps pins on top and SMK gen 2 pins on bottom and wanted to know if I made a mistake. Sounds like it's good either way. Thanks again for your time and good luck with the designs.

Did you keep the fixing pin holes at 1.5mm?

I see, yes, that should be no problem/mistake. I'm using 1.5mm fixing pin holes.

Best of luck with the PCB ;D

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 10:13:23 »
Well, since Applet was kind enough to let me try one of his prototype PCB's and I had some strange keysets around, I wanted to give back by writing a (hopefully) helpful review of their PCB.

First things first. After receiving the PCB (admittedly a while ago) I tried that everything worked properly, switch positions and RGB LEDs. You can see a picture below with all the LEDs emiting white, thus proving that every color works:

Maybe it is not very appreciated in the picture, but Applet did an awesome soldering job. He had to solder the controller and both the cable connections since the manufacturer wasn't able to do so, and he did an astounding job, specially at those tiny tiny leads in the USB C connector.

After checking that everything worked properly (and it did), I took my keysets and some loose switches and started trying layouts.
The following link contains a lot of pictures of different bottom row options and different layouts tested, but I'll do "honorable mentions" here for ease of reading: https://imgur.com/a/fzjNBSX

First layout tested was a BAE with 7u spacebar, WKL:

Perfect fitting.

After that, I started playing with the bottom row:
Do you fancy a 65%-like layout with a blocker on the right side and split spacebar?

Or maybe a full fitted bottom row?

Have a need for multiple 1u keys bottom left?

Please keep in mind that you could also use these combinations with a 7u spacebar. Basically, if you go to the KLE layout picture in the first post, you can create any bottom row with the options you have for them, as in key per key, not entire rows.

After that, I tried a more traditional 7u spacebar, stepped caps lock, WKL ANSI layout:

As you can see, it fits perfectly.

Unfortunately, I am still waiting on two more "strange" keysets to try their layouts, but I had a JIS one laying around here.
It seems that the JIS enter does not fit, as you can see here:

But, you could try to use any kind of combination with the small spacebars and a 1u in the middle, as seen here:

In summary:

- Excellent build quality
- Lovely vintage aesthetics
- Supports lots and lots of layouts. Much more than those which appear in the KLE picture
- Personally, can't find any benefit for the cutouts, but does not affect the working nor makes the PCB fragile.
- 2 reset buttons for ease of access is a nice touch
- I would personally ditch the RGB since this will usually go towards more vintage builds, but doesn't affect much the price, and you can always turn them off.
- The bottom row is kind of a gruyere, but that is a necessary evil. I personally do not have any problem with that, it clearly does not affect the fragility or the working, and I would rather have a highly compatible PCB, specially for ALPS.

I am planning on doing a second part of the review once I receive the other keysets, but it may be a while since they are stuck somewhere in the USA.

To finish, I just want to thank Applet for letting me get a prototype and I have to say that if they ran a GB I would definitely get at least one more PCB, for future proofing and compatibility.