Author Topic: 2x3x4 LED and SIP socket Group Buy - Round 1 Cyan | Pink | Sky Blue  (Read 111881 times)

Offline nuclearsandwich

2x3x4 LED and SIP socket Group Buy

Round 1: Cyan, Pink, Sky Blue

LEDs are coming from this aliexpress store. Later rounds will feature more colors assuming that this goes well.

Why buy from this IC?
It's easy. You don't have to make a throwaway account with them (they will spam your email and all your youtube ads will be for them) and deal with all that.
It might be cheaper. Not sure if I'll split packs or not. We'll see.

SIP sockets are the longer ones that MIL MAX makes and are my favorite for keyboards. They're being sourced from Mouser unless someone finds a better price.

Payment will be handled by PayPal invoice. As dorkvader mentioned there's every chance it'll be cheaper for international orderers to buy directly from the aliexpess store. If we hit outrageous discounts I'll revisit international orders. Orders that aren't in multiples of 100 will be shipped out last.

International orders will be fulfilled by hwood34 who will send a separate invoice for shipping them.

Prices

cyan: $0.04/each 10000 count price reached!
pink: $0.06/each 10000 count price reached!
skyblue: $0.04/each 10000 count price reached!

sip socket: $0.07/each next break at 32000 count and alternate source is sending samples
Final price may be a be between tiers so extras and padding counts can be reached.

Order Deadlines

Order deadline is midnight the night of Wednesday 10 December. (officially midnight is on Thursday but you get the idea) After then, you'll be able to increase your order until all payments are in but you won't be able to decrease your orders and risk hurting tiers.

Updates

Updates will be frequent, at least one per week both in the thread and rolled up in this post.

Group Buy Terms

This group buy will follow the Bill and Ted principle for human interaction: Be excellent to each other.  If you conduct yourself poorly toward to the members of the group buy or myself, I'm not obligated to take your order or your money. Unsolicited payments or orders that I am forced to cancel due to poor conduct will be refunded minus the cost of fees.

This group buy is being run for the GeekHack community and not for profit. I'm going to be building test packages for common order sizes using LEDs and SIP sockets already available. I'll use these to make shipping estimates along with the Shipping guidelines. Any surplus of funds will either be used to provide everyone with more LEDs or donated to GeekHack.

While this is my first group buy as an organizer it's far from my first as a participant. I'll perform to my utmost to deliver a sweet experience for all involved. If you have feedback for me, I welcome it here in this thread or via PM.

Orders

Order form!

Orders can be checked using this url. Orders are anonimized and updated regularly. If your order doesn't appear after 48 hours or you don't know your user code shoot me a PM.

If there are problems with your order please follow the guide in this post.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 April 2015, 18:54:27 by nuclearsandwich »

Offline nuclearsandwich

Re: 2x3x4 LED and SIP socket Group Buy - Round 1 Cyan | Pink | Sky Blue
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 02:05:41 »
Current Status

- Pink photos posted.
- Cyan photos posted.
- Sky blue  photos posted.
- International orders will be accepted and fulfilled by hwood34
- All international orders have been shipped out by hwood34
- US orders without SIP sockets shipped (without tracking by mistake) due to arrive Monday 6 April. Contact nuclearsandwich if not recieved by 13 April.
- US orders shipped with one exception (hand delivery later this week).
- One remaining international order misfiled as US needs to be shipped.
- Karura's order incomplete. Following up via PM.

Past status updates

28 October, 2014
- Group buy is taking orders
- aliexpress vendor contacted regarding bulk discounts beyond 1000 count
- initial order of 100 of each color placed for personal evaluation

29 October, 2014
- Soft order deadline set for 8 November (See OP for details)
- Possible alternative SIP Socket vendor contacted for samples and pricing

30 October, 2014
- International orders will be accepted starting this weekend and fulfilled by hwood34

1 November, 2014
- International orders can now be accepted
- Those who have ordered can now check their order. See the OP for details.
- Aliexpress vendor created 5000 and 10000 count discount tiers for us.
- Updated price estimates for current tiers.

5 November, 2014
- Deadline extended to 1 week after sample LEDs and SIP sockets arrive.
- SIP socket vendor has my UPS account number for shipping samples!

15 November, 2014
- Still waiting on LED and SIP sample delivery  :mad:

16 November, 2014
- LED samples arrived! Color photos coming late next week.

24 November, 2014
- Pink photos posted.
- Sky and Cyan photos coming tomorrow.
- Order Deadline will be the end of Wednesday, 3 December.

26 November, 2014
- Cyan photos posted.
- Sky blue photos will have to wait until my replacement charger arrives.

29 November, 2014
- Sky blue  photos posted.
- Order deadline bumped to 8th December (1 week out)
- We are sticking with MIL MAX sockets for the first round

7 December, 2014
- Deadline bumped to 10th December since I have finals early this week.

13 December, 2014
- Deadline has passed. New orders are still welcome but existing orders can only get bigger unless you PM me first.
- Invoices will start Monday. Sorry for the delay, I need to finalize some US shipping estimates.
- Quotes are in from both vendors.

15 December, 2014
- Invoicing has started. When you are invoiced it will be listed on the status list. See this post for details.

18 December, 2014
- All invoices sent. The sooner everyone pays the sooner we can order.

22 December, 2014
- New orders and modifications are being handled every other day or so. If something looks wrong, check the timestamp on the order list and PM me if your change should have been reflected.
- If you have not yet paid, please PM me on or before 31 December to save your place in this group buy. If there's some reason you can't pay by then, it's cool but I need to know you're still planning to <3.

3 January 2015
- LED vendor dragging feet (or busy with holidays) on final Purchase Order negotiations.
- Once the PO is paid, add-on orders will be opened for those already in the group buy.
- Anyone with an unpaid order who doesn't contact me by January 5 will have their order cancelled and be banned from my future buys.

10 January 2015
- LED vendor paid. Awaiting product shipment.
- Warnings have been sent out for unpaid orders. Please notify me with intent to pay or cancel by 12 January or you will be withdrawn from this buy and all future buys from me and my team.

22 January 2015
- LEDs due to arrive in California from vendor 10 February
- SIP socket order being placed imminently.
- Work travel takes nuclearsandwich away from sorting / shipping 12 - 20 Feb
- Sorting party 21 - 22 February. Open to all SF Bay Area GeekHackers. No need to've participated in the GB. RSVP via PM.

25 February 2015
- Goods with nuclearsandwich, one order fulfilled
- Addons to existing orders due by 2015-02-27 see this post for instructions.

2 March 2015
- Didn't make Monday 2 March shipping goal
- Addons to existing orders extended due datye 2015-03-06 see this post for instructions.
- nuclearsandwich mostly afk for GDC.

14 March 2015
- International orders shipped to hwood34 (proxy)

3 April 2015
- Almost all international orders have been shipped out by hwood34
- US orders not including SIP sockets shipped due to arrive 6 April. Contact nuclearsandwich if not received by 13 April
- Remaining US orders to be shipped early next week
- Karura's order mistakenly short by nuclearsandwich. Will ship remaining order contents at nuclearsandwich's cost.'

18 April 2015
- All International orders out.
- 15 more US orders went out today. Tracking numbers PM'd to those individuals.
- Anticipate the rest of the US orders being sent Monday.

20 April 2015
- Remaining US orders packed and shipping labels made.

21 April 2015
- All ship-able US orders shipped
- 1 US order pending hand delivery
- 1 International order misfiled as US pending delivery
- 1 problem with an order

« Last Edit: Tue, 21 April 2015, 19:04:56 by nuclearsandwich »

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 06:21:49 »
From the order page :

"US Orders only for Round 1"

You should indicate this here too.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 08:02:20 »
From the order page :

This is a real bummer :(

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 08:15:53 »
From the order page :

God damn, I was excited for weeks :(

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 08:42:55 »
I'd be willing to proxy these to people if need be,
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline jameslr

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 08:50:23 »
Good lord those SIP sockets are expensive. That's $.22 per switch. I paid $.03 per socket on ebay, What's so special about these?
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 09:17:59 »
Quick recommendation, only allow orders in clumps of 100.  You will drive yourself insane if you have to do special amounts for people.  And make sure you have a little margin for buying over how many you need in case they short you some.

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 10:01:51 »
Will be down for 100 cyan and 100 pink with 250 sip sockets once international orders start.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 10:33:50 »
To my international people, this is nothing against you. I have a lot of experience shipping within the US and essentially none whatsoever shipping international parcels. If the discounts we get for this round become SO GOOD, I'll open it up to international folks. I know it's disappointing, I can only ask for patience.

From the order page :

It's listed in the OP but I'll make it more prominent. Thanks for the head's up

Payment will be handled by PayPal invoice and shipping will be limited to orders within the US, at least for round 1. As dorkvader mentioned there's every chance it'll be cheaper for international orderers to buy directly from the aliexpess store. If we hit outrageous discounts I'll revisit international orders.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 10:40:54 »
Quick recommendation, only allow orders in clumps of 100.  You will drive yourself insane if you have to do special amounts for people.  And make sure you have a little margin for buying over how many you need in case they short you some.

Yeah, I definitely expect to be able to over-order to make sure we have enough. If the seller shorts us on what we paid for, I'll also do my best to dispute it with them, but I want to have extras on hand so I can fulfill the group buy without waiting on that process.

With respect to the counting, it's one of the few things in life I'm pretty good at, so I don't mind counting out weird numbers as long as people are okay with waiting until all the rounded to 100 orders are out the door.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 10:47:59 »
Good lord those SIP sockets are expensive. That's $.22 per switch. I paid $.03 per socket on ebay, What's so special about these?

These aren't really that special, they're just a bit longer than the ones listed in the SIP socket thread which means they actually protrude through the holes in the PCB rather than being flush with the bottom. I find it's easier to work with them, both desoldering and using less solder when assembling. Looking on ebay for this specific part turns up nothing even remotely comparable in price to Mouser, which is a little sad.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 October 2014, 11:30:50 by nuclearsandwich »

Offline seedvd

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 11:09:52 »
1+ ^^

Mill-Max SIP sockets is best, high quality and non easy breakable. I use them on my all korean boards.

Left is Mill-Max and Right is Generic

« Last Edit: Wed, 29 October 2014, 11:13:16 by seedvd »

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 11:16:06 »
When are you planning on closing orders? I know I'd love a set of each color and a couple of sets of sip sockets, but don't have the cash right now.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 11:18:23 »
Ordered, thanks :)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 11:27:33 »
Thanks for picking this up where I left off.

edit: there has to be a better price on those SIP sockets than mouser. I'll look around.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 11:36:17 »
When are you planning on closing orders? I know I'd love a set of each color and a couple of sets of sip sockets, but don't have the cash right now.

I'm going to look at the order counts on October 8th and compare that with any discount tiers beyond the 1000count that I get from the aliexpress seller (if any). If we've hit the highest discount reasonable, I'll leave orders open for another week while I invoice everyone and then close round 1. If we're no where close, I'll extend it another week or so into October.

If shipping starts out smoothly, I'm going to start taking orders for a second round immediately. The second round will include international orders for definitely.

I am updating the OP with the above information.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 11:42:17 »
http://natconn.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008825747192/pdtl/PCB-connector/1003011730/SIP-Socket-Connector.htm

According to the datasheet, the "long solder tail" SIP Sockets they have are 0.170 in "for multi-layer boards" that corresponds to 4.3mm. Normal SIP sockets length is .125 in which is 3.175mm

The above manufacturer offers them in pin lengths of 3.94 to 25mm. So we could get ones like this if we wanted:

Looks like only mill max uses the "[tall] solder tail" nomenclature and the standard seems to be referring to it as "pin length". so if you search for pin length sip sockets, you get ones where the pin length is specified, which are the ones where it deviates from the standard, which is almost always longer. I don't know if that chinese source is good or not but it proves there are other options than mill max.

although they could be great. MOQ is 2000 pieces, which I'm sure we can hit with ease.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 11:50:29 »
http://natconn.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008825747192/pdtl/PCB-connector/1003011730/SIP-Socket-Connector.htm

According to the datasheet, the "long solder tail" SIP Sockets they have are 0.170 in "for multi-layer boards" that corresponds to 4.3mm. Normal SIP sockets length is .125 in which is 3.175mm

The above manufacturer offers them in pin lengths of 3.94 to 25mm. So we could get ones like this if we wanted:
Show Image

Looks like only mill max uses the "[tall] solder tail" nomenclature and the standard seems to be referring to it as "pin length". so if you search for pin length sip sockets, you get ones where the pin length is specified, which are the ones where it deviates from the standard, which is almost always longer. I don't know if that chinese source is good or not but it proves there are other options than mill max.

although they could be great. MOQ is 2000 pieces, which I'm sure we can hit with ease.

Interesting. I'll figure out what it takes to get samples from them, I don't really want to order a bunch sight unseen. Given that we need to cut these out of the jackets to use them I want to be very sure that the pins are sturdy and not too soft. I have to head out to my day but this will be my first order of business when I get home.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 11:52:03 »

I'm going to look at the order counts on October 8th and compare that with any discount tiers beyond the 1000count that I get from the aliexpress seller (if any). If we've hit the highest discount reasonable, I'll leave orders open for another week while I invoice everyone and then close round 1. If we're no where close, I'll extend it another week or so into October.

If shipping starts out smoothly, I'm going to start taking orders for a second round immediately. The second round will include international orders for definitely.

Sir, we're already well into the end of October.

Just wondering, is it better to remove the plastic or keep the plastic on the SIP?

I'm contemplating doing this, but it absolutely has to sit flush and be solid. I don't want to have to fix it if its not that durable.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline seedvd

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 11:58:02 »

Just wondering, is it better to remove the plastic or keep the plastic on the SIP?

I'm contemplating doing this, but it absolutely has to sit flush and be solid. I don't want to have to fix it if its not that durable.

It's better to remove the plastic if use plate and keep the plastic on the SIP if use pcb without plate.

without or with the plastic, it would be still sit flush and solid. Mill-Max is designed to be durable.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 12:11:45 »
s/October/November/g

Cut me some slack I'm typing this up pre-coffee.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 12:15:18 »
s/October/November/g

My apologies, that was not meant to sound condescending, rather consider it as someone helping you proofread the post :)

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 12:15:27 »

Thanks for pointing that out. Fixed all the posts.  :confused:

I find that completely separating them from the housing is easier than trying to get the housing to fit perfectly but other people manage to get it to look very nice. One caveat that I learned assembling my Orion is that for loose sockets you need to place an LED in them while you solder so that they remain angled correctly. I did a few before I thought of this and had to desolder them to fix it.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 12:15:56 »
s/October/November/g

My apologies, that was not meant to sound condescending, rather consider it as someone helping you proofread the post :)

I didn't take it that way at all sir. Apparently I'm also too foggy to type :P

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 14:17:31 »
Just put in an order!  ;D

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 15:42:43 »
Ordered.  Thanks for picking this up, nuclear.

Offline seedvd

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 16:06:54 »
Nuclear,

I need to change my order. I want other 256 sip sockets and get 512 total. I will order one more Korean board. Could you please change my order?

Thanks.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 16:07:56 »
Nuclear,

I need to change my order. I want other 256 sip sockets and get 512 total. I will order one more Korean board. Could you please change my order?

Thanks.

Yeah no problem. Order confirmation page will go up either later today or tomorrow with a link to an order update form.

Offline jameslr

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 16:10:42 »
If we're able to get cheaper sip sockets I would like to change my order to include 200 sockets.
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 16:38:11 »
If we're able to get cheaper sip sockets I would like to change my order to include 200 sockets.

We're already in the $0.08/each tier for these mouser sockets and dorkvader and I are looking at alternative sources. I'd suggest everyone order what you want without regard to the current prices. It will help me project what demand is and get the best product and price for everyone. Before invoicing starts I'll announce final prices and give everyone a chance to change their order. I've got cash to cover people who need to drop because the price isn't right without losing our tiers and I'm fairly confident I'll be able to move what I don't use myself.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 20:45:24 »
Ordered! If the price on anything drops I may order more.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 21:09:21 »
Will order once i've figured out how many of each i want  :p

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 00:02:38 »
Will order once i've figured out how many of each i want  :p

Lots. :D

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 00:20:34 »
Inquired about samples, pricing, and delivery time for between 2 and 10 thousand sockets. Asked for samples varying from 3.175mm to 6mm and including 4.3mm specifically. I'll keep everyone posted (pun very intended).

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 09:08:43 »
Just submitted my order.  :)  Thanks to dorkvader for starting this, and thanks nuclearsandwich for making it happen.   :thumb:   I'm excited I can spend more on LEDs through this group buy than most people spend on their keyboards...   :))

Offline Moralless

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 09:25:09 »
Would anyone be willing to buy and ship them to Australia for me? I'll be paying for both shipping costs and of course the LEDs/SIP sockets themselves. Please reply to me here if you'd be willing to :)

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 10:33:58 »
Would anyone be willing to buy and ship them to Australia for me? I'll be paying for both shipping costs and of course the LEDs/SIP sockets themselves. Please reply to me here if you'd be willing to :)

hwood and I are looking at having him do international orders for round 1. I don't like discussing things before they're certain but you may not need to make special arrangements.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 11:50:00 »
Is it too late to request other colors ? (white , green , orange )
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 12:07:37 »

At this point, it seems the 3 colors are to test the waters and see how much work it'll end up being. Other colors can be done in a 2nd round.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 12:11:44 »

For round one, we're sticking with these colors. If this goes smoothly, I'll open it up to any color in that seller's store as soon as round 1 starts shipping.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 12:21:27 »

At this point, it seems the 3 colors are to test the waters and see how much work it'll end up being. Other colors can be done in a 2nd round.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

That was my recommendation.  More colors means more complexity and more potential for problems.  Keep it simple, especially for a first timer

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 17:45:42 »

Correct me if I'm wrong.

That was my recommendation.  More colors means more complexity and more potential for problems.  Keep it simple, especially for a first timer

And I definitely appreciate the counsel nubb! <3

hwood34 and I just spoke over skype. He'll be providing shipping for international orders. I'll add some fields to the order form to support this tomorrow or Saturday. International orderers will receive one invoice from me for the product and one from hwood34 for the shipping. hwood34 has experience sending international parcels where I don't. Hence why I was hesitant to add international shipping to my concerns for this first group buy. Since the demand is there, I'm hoping this arrangement will work out for everyone.

Offline Moralless

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 20:54:46 »

hwood and I are looking at having him do international orders for round 1. I don't like discussing things before they're certain but you may not need to make special arrangements.

Ok, guess I'll have to keep my eye on this thread  ;D

edit: just saw your most recent post. Place my order now.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 22:36:04 »
Is there a quantity where we get a price break on those sip sockets?  I would love to get a bunch, but the price is a bit prohibitive.  I have been working with the regular ones and I know these will be MUCH easier to work with, but that price is a bit though to swallow.  I have been buying the regular ones on ebay for $1.35/120.  I know these are nicer, but 10x nicer? 

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 00:59:11 »
The SIP sockets are really expensive :(

Offline phatdood9

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 01:23:41 »
I got a bunch of these in cyan, sky blue, and pink

can vouch for the quality, they're quite good

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 12:11:45 »
Is there a quantity where we get a price break on those sip sockets?  I would love to get a bunch, but the price is a bit prohibitive.  I have been working with the regular ones and I know these will be MUCH easier to work with, but that price is a bit though to swallow.  I have been buying the regular ones on ebay for $1.35/120.  I know these are nicer, but 10x nicer?

The SIP sockets are really expensive :(

We hear you. I'm trying to get in touch with a supplier in China. If we stick with Mouser, I'm going to try hitting the 6400 count price of $0.07 a socket, which is still pricy but at least somewhat sane. I can say it makes a remarkable difference in assembly for me. Which is why I'm really going for it. If we can't find an inexpensive supplier though, we may have to re-assess.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 22:08:39 »
tbh, I don't have an issue with the smaller SIP sockets, but I always switch to my thin tip and 0.015 solder. Hopefully those chinese SIP vendors will work out.

If you need more leads on SIP sockets let me know and I'll hunt up some more.

You can probably get common colours locally. Saves time and a ton of money.

If not, it's pretty easy to order yourself from aliexpress. Just sign up with an email account you don't mind getting all the SPAM on. They ship internationally.

Honestly, I figured everyone would just go buy it themselves from the link. It's like eBay: very simple and I do believe they offer moneyback if something goes wrong (just like eBay does).
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 October 2014, 22:10:45 by dorkvader »

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 12:15:01 »
Just a quick status update

Tiers and suppliers I've heard back from the AliExpress vendor and you can now see the 5000 and 10000 count prices in the aliexpress shop. We're able to cut a few cents of each LED for all colors if we can get a poop ton of diodes. I also just found the reply from a possible alternative SIP socket vendor in China and am confirming specs for some samples.

GB things I don't yet know the timeline for samples but I expect that I'll be extending the deadline for everything into late November so that I can check them out. I'm also a bit behind on getting the order confirmation and update forms up. Mostly because I've been stuck on Windows and the tools I use for CSV aren't as fun without a proper shell. I'll do my best to get that out tonight along with an FAQ post.

Happy November everyone! If you're in the US make sure you vote and stuff.

EDIT: Sentence structure.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 November 2014, 17:05:10 by nuclearsandwich »