Author Topic: [GB] GMK Phantom [RAMA ARTISAN KEY]  (Read 135906 times)

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

Re: [GB] GMK Phantom [RAMA ARTISAN KEY]
« Reply #350 on: Thu, 08 November 2018, 12:14:56 »
Just received my GMK Phantom set and I really like the (eggplant) purple color, but the yellow is a very big let down.
It looks like the yellow keys have been washed too long, bleached or laying in the sun. Nothing of that rich warm yellow/gold color. It's such a pale yellow color it just doesn't look right, very cheap, and definitely not what has been advertised in the original posts and in the stores.
Yes I read the posts about the color samples, but this is such a departure from the original color. You can't change a set this drastically after selling it in my opinion, something went wrong.

I will keep the set for the purple keys and combine it with the accents from GMK samurai, but sad I am :'-(
The yellow is accurate in my eyes. That render was just processed to all hell.
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline Atredl

« Reply #351 on: Thu, 08 November 2018, 12:41:04 »
It looks like the yellow keys have been washed too long, bleached or laying in the sun. Nothing of that rich warm yellow/gold color. It's such a pale yellow color it just doesn't look right, very cheap, and definitely not what has been advertised in the original posts and in the stores.
I don’t remember Briano ever describing the yellow color as a rich warm yellow/golden color. He’d usually say he was aiming for a wheat color which is basically aiming to be desaturated and not rich.

I’m curious which render people are basing their criticisms.

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #352 on: Thu, 08 November 2018, 23:58:48 »
Just received my GMK Phantom set and I really like the (eggplant) purple color, but the yellow is a very big let down.
Yes I read the posts about the color samples, but this is such a departure from the original color. You can't change a set this drastically after selling it in my opinion, something went wrong.

I will keep the set for the purple keys and combine it with the accents from GMK samurai, but sad I am :'-(

I just noticed that you joined geek hack on nov 7, 2018 and  complaining about the color was the first post you made on geek hack. Hmmmm.
Pictures (with time stamps perhaps)  would be nice nevertheless, so that people can see what you mean...
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 November 2018, 00:01:59 by coffeeshopcoder »

Offline briemens

« Reply #353 on: Fri, 09 November 2018, 02:34:12 »
Yesterday morning I received my Phantom package just before I had to leave for work. I wasn't able to take some proper pictures because of lack of time and light, but I still wanted to at least share my first thoughts on the yellow color and see how others feel.

Let me thank Brian in this post for making GMK Phantom come to life. It was an exciting "6 months" wait. :-)

This morning I had some time and light and made a couple of picture to compare the yellow better. Below are two photos of the yellow color in GMK Phantom.

First a comparison of different color ways on a neutral background (GMK Phantom in the middle):

Link: https://imgur.com/6U3bzml

Comparison of GMK Phantom and the original renders:

Link: https://imgur.com/2E63Mwd

In the last image you can see I added the Samurai accent and imho it looks closer to the renders than the Phantom accents.

As I said before, based on the renders I expected a slightly warmer yellow. It is what it is. You can like it or not. I just wanted to make the point that the color is different than I expected.

PS. Let me know if anyone wants to see other photos/comparisons/location. If I have time I can post some photos of the set on an actual board. ;-)
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 November 2018, 02:40:11 by briemens »
E7-V1 SE / Aanzee / Volcano 660 / Canoe / FC660C / Grid 600 / Space65 / FC750R / 2x Unicomp / Sirius / 3x Doro67 / 2x DC60 / 2x Klippe / Keyboardbelle / 2x Tofu / CTRL / Poker / Anne Pro

Offline cldskt

• Wallet and hobby aren't friends
[GB] GMK Phantom [RAMA ARTISAN KEY]
« Reply #354 on: Fri, 09 November 2018, 02:38:37 »
Yesterday morning I received my Phantom package just before I had to leave for work. I wasn't able to take some proper pictures because of lack of time and light, but I still wanted to at least share my first thoughts on the yellow color and see how others feel.

Let me thank Brian in this post for making GMK Phantom come to life. It was an exciting "6 months" wait. :-)

This morning I had some time and light and made a couple of picture to compare the yellow better. Below are two photos of the yellow color in GMK Phantom.

First a comparison of different color ways on a neutral background (GMK Phantom in the middle):

https://imgur.com/6U3bzml

https://imgur.com/2E63Mwd

In the last image you can see I added the Samurai accent and imho it looks closer to the renders than the Phantom accents.

As I said before, based on the renders I expected a slightly warmer yellow. It is what it is. You can like it or not. I just wanted to make the point that the color is different than I expected.

PS. Let me know if anyone wants to see other photos/comparisons/location. If I have time I can post some photos of the set on an actual board. ;-)

Thank you for the comparison! This is what I actually thought it would look like from the color samples, which initially I thought could use a little bit of “warmth” to get closer to the render.

Nonetheless, I still think the actual yellow came out great!

A picture of it on a full board would be nice

"Addiction is buying the things that I don't need with the money I don't have." - me
"Spending $500 on your first custom is justified." - also me

Offline Data

« Reply #355 on: Fri, 09 November 2018, 13:06:10 »

Show Image

Show Image

OK, now compare to the renders done in "bright daylight", like this one.

Offline briemens

« Reply #356 on: Fri, 09 November 2018, 13:59:58 »

OK, now compare to the renders done in "bright daylight", like this one.

Show Image

Nice! :-) If you make the purple keys a bit darker then it is spot on!
E7-V1 SE / Aanzee / Volcano 660 / Canoe / FC660C / Grid 600 / Space65 / FC750R / 2x Unicomp / Sirius / 3x Doro67 / 2x DC60 / 2x Klippe / Keyboardbelle / 2x Tofu / CTRL / Poker / Anne Pro

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #357 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 11:03:02 »
Man I am stoked on this set that yellow is excellent. Can't wait to receive my set.

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #358 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 00:59:46 »

Show Image

Show Image

Thanks for the shots and the comparison, I think you are right, it does look different from some of the renders.  From your pictures, I personally do not dislike the yellow, but the purple seems a bit darker than my expectations. I am waiting for my set to show up!!!

Offline briemens

« Reply #359 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 05:43:39 »
As promised a photo of GMK Phantom on a keyboard (Neutral Gray Kbdfans 5degree).

Link: https://imgur.com/wxGntLJ

I'll post another photo in the future with the yellow mods as well.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 November 2018, 05:45:46 by briemens »

Offline cldskt

• Wallet and hobby aren't friends
« Reply #360 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 05:50:21 »
As promised a photo of GMK Phantom on a keyboard (Neutral Gray Kbdfans 5degree).

Show Image

That looks dark af, almost black even with natural lighting. Damn.

"Addiction is buying the things that I don't need with the money I don't have." - me
"Spending $500 on your first custom is justified." - also me

Offline bdkrzy

« Reply #361 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 06:37:28 »
If the real set actually looks that dark, then I'm interested in grabbing an off market set. I didn't join the original gb because of the lavender purple, but now I am reconsidering if the purple is one of the darker purple.

« Reply #362 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 07:06:42 »
If the real set actually looks that dark, then I'm interested in grabbing an off market set. I didn't join the original gb because of the lavender purple, but now I am reconsidering if the purple is one of the darker purple.
What lavender? Not a single render or image I recall seeing was EVER lavender.

Offline bdkrzy

« Reply #363 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 07:52:18 »

Lol no need to be so aggressive? My perception of color was probably off a bit. It looks more violet now that I actually google searched for the exact color, but even then the violet color was still a bit too bright for me. This deep dark purple is more of what I was looking for.

Offline Solotov

« Reply #364 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 09:09:32 »

Show Image

Wth.. That looks just like yellow on black. I hope it doesn't look like that irl.
Flex is love, flex is life.

« Reply #365 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 10:25:23 »

Lol no need to be so aggressive? My perception of color was probably off a bit. It looks more violet now that I actually google searched for the exact color, but even then the violet color was still a bit too bright for me. This deep dark purple is more of what I was looking for.
I'm not sure how my comment was aggressive. I just found it strange that you referred to it as lavender. Lavender is in my opinion far closer to the alphas of GMK Taro.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #366 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 11:19:55 »
Here are 25 photos of Phantom and Taro in different lights:

ALBUM HERE: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1KgTgSX-xEQMr9WEyAvi_Kx01UkKlYJY9

Here are my thoughts after getting it: 
- The yellow is actually nice and spot on. 
- The purple is a bit too dark in a general light setting.  With a light hitting directly the keycaps from a close point or on the sun they looks exactly like the render, but most of the people don't have a light flashing the keeb directly, so in most of the cases you will see it darker than the render.  Taro is a bit darker or with another tonality.   

I like it, but a bit lighter would have been better imho.  Of course if your room is always dark or with very low and warm lights, this is gonna be really dark and near the black, otherwise if you have strong white lights in your room, that's actually a nice color.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 November 2018, 11:30:00 by KaosJ »

Offline bdkrzy

« Reply #367 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 11:44:52 »
Thats its. I guess I'm the only odd one here. I'm actually more excited now that you mentioned the purple was a bit off from the render lol. Will get my set once the extras are ready to be sold :))

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #368 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 11:45:59 »
Here are 25 photos of Phantom and Taro in different lights:

ALBUM HERE: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1KgTgSX-xEQMr9WEyAvi_Kx01UkKlYJY9

Show Image

Here are my thoughts after getting it: 
- The yellow is actually nice and spot on. 
- The purple is a bit too dark in a general light setting.  With a light hitting directly the keycaps from a close point or on the sun they looks exactly like the render, but most of the people don't have a light flashing the keeb directly, so in most of the cases you will see it darker than the render.  Taro is a bit darker or with another tonality.   

I like it, but a bit lighter would have been better imho.  Of course if your room is always dark or with very low and warm lights, this is gonna be really dark and near the black, otherwise if you have strong white lights in your room, that's actually a nice color.

This is awesome ! And I’m so confused ! A testament to how lighting affects color :)

The yellow is super nice, and the purple perhaps a tad bit dark, but I love in the shots where there is no flash or when it’s lit by ambient light...

I generally get a feeling that this set will look awesome on your board when you use it, but on a show board , perhaps at a distance you may not even notice the purple...

Offline Tekilashot

« Reply #369 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 09:47:32 »
EU : the base kit extra is available on mykeyboard.eu https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/gmk-phantom-base-kit_513/
I've been watching the page closely everyday, yw  :)

Offline wixxzblu

« Reply #370 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 05:52:40 »
Just got my set, will put this up on mechmarket tonight  >:D i think that shows my disappointment

207134-0
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 November 2018, 06:48:09 by wixxzblu »

Offline Atredl

« Reply #371 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 09:22:32 »
We’re color matching to sleeves now too?  :rolleyes:

Offline heavyheaded

« Reply #372 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 11:19:38 »
Will spacebar kit extras be available on the donutcable site?

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #373 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 11:54:28 »
no, just no.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=95418.0;attach=194904;image

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151659186@N03/44987536004/in/album-72157675239965188/

If you're not down, and looking to get rid of it, I'm in the market if I don't score one on donut's site.

Don't think I was clear enough on that.  Let me know what you want for it.  I'll buy it off of you.

Offline phatty

• dailyclack.com
« Reply #374 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 17:05:03 »
I love Phantom. I think once it develops shine it'll look better, one of the only GMK sets that will look better with shine!

https://imgur.com/a/Zceo4LL

I have a spare spacebar kit available if anyone is seeking.

If you're selling, I know heaps of people looking to buy ;)

Offline PoochZag

« Reply #375 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 10:16:32 »
Are US orders still in the process of being sent out?

I am totally fine being patient, just wanted to make sure it's not weird I haven't received a shipping notification yet.
TX-CP, TX60, Campine Mk. III, Mira SE

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #376 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 12:32:44 »
I love Phantom. I think once it develops shine it'll look better, one of the only GMK sets that will look better with shine!

https://imgur.com/a/Zceo4LL

I have a spare spacebar kit available if anyone is seeking.

If you're selling, I know heaps of people looking to buy ;)

I'd be interested in your spare space bar kit. PM me?

Offline x86ect

« Reply #377 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 17:55:17 »
For the Canadians:

Briano knows that mechkeys has received the sets and will begin shipping soon, if not already.    ;D

Offline jongmin84

« Reply #378 on: Thu, 15 November 2018, 06:23:19 »
Thanks!!

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #379 on: Thu, 15 November 2018, 16:23:14 »

I am totally fine being patient, just wanted to make sure it's not weird I haven't received a shipping notification yet.

Yes, I'm still working on US orders, I've got another batch up to order 1491 going out tomorrow afternoon. Cables and sleeves aren't shipped yet, so I'm still holding those orders until those arrive.

Offline ItsAllen

« Reply #380 on: Fri, 16 November 2018, 22:40:35 »

Yes, I'm still working on US orders, I've got another batch up to order 1491 going out tomorrow afternoon. Cables and sleeves aren't shipped yet, so I'm still holding those orders until those arrive.

Yesss, finally. Close to 1500+ that I am lol. Have a champagne M65 patiently waiting!

Offline baoduy23

« Reply #381 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 07:49:40 »
I love this set, but the Render not the autual product like this :(

Looking forward to see R2 that will match the render.

Offline Lormania

« Reply #382 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 11:52:24 »
Looking forward to getting that shipping notification! I will wait to judge it when I get eyes on it but to be honest, these concerns with the light yellow  and (more so in my opinion) the purple being too dark were brought up when the sample keys came in. I personally thought it was warranted to request new samples since it was quite clear from the photos. Many expressed this on here and Reddit. I was a little surprised when they got approved. GMK Olivia's first samples were also clearly off and new correct samples were ordered right away and it was a big difference. I thank Briano for running the group buy and will continue to support him and hope this will be a bit of a learning moment. I am in no way regretting this purchase and am still stoked to put this on a board.

Offline Neodeus

« Reply #383 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 11:57:20 »
I hope it doesn't seem like I'm piling on here, but I did just open my set yesterday. I would agree with others that it does not seem that finished product reflected the intended color scheme. Purple is very dark, and the yellow seems to be pastel. When I would have thought from renders is lighter purple and more golden type yellow. That being said, I do like the server and I will happily keep it on my KB. Thanks to everyone involved for making this happen and getting it shipped out in good time.

Offline Zapzapkaboom

« Reply #384 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 10:17:47 »
I'm psyched to get the caps even if they are going to be darker (actually prefer that more), but how long til the cables and sleeves ship? having to wait on the caps is making me regret adding the extra stuff in the first place :Z

Offline Lormania

« Reply #385 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 10:26:53 »
I'm psyched to get the caps even if they are going to be darker (actually prefer that more), but how long til the cables and sleeves ship? having to wait on the caps is making me regret adding the extra stuff in the first place :Z

I was thinking the same haha. Last I heard it was around the end of November. Terminal is the same situation where the keysets got shipped a little earlier and I just have to watch everyone's posts until the cable and sleeves come in  :))

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
« Reply #386 on: Sun, 25 November 2018, 20:42:20 »
Got my set.
Here's a quick photo in comparison to sky dolch and olivia

Offline PoochZag

« Reply #387 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 09:59:57 »
This pic really shows how lighting affects the way Phantom looks

TX-CP, TX60, Campine Mk. III, Mira SE

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #388 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 10:34:59 »
This pic really shows how lighting affects the way Phantom looks

Show Image

Hmm that purple looks very saturated. Not good...

Offline appaboy

« Reply #389 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 10:38:18 »
This hobby loves over-saturated sets now for some reason. but the purple in this is not nearly as eye numbing as gmk laser
PC Singa, MIR80, TX84se, g80-3314, g80-0427, g80-5000 + 5700, G80-3700, g81-3000 HBU (og wob)

HASRO keycaps
OG POM keycaps
SAI OG Italian dyesubs
Scarface Fn blank

Offline Atredl

[GB] GMK Phantom [RAMA ARTISAN KEY]
« Reply #390 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 13:36:34 »
Figured I’d try my hand at this. For reference these pictures were all taken in indirect clear -sky sunlight and the photos were color corrected on an LG 34UC88. It hasn’t been professionally calibrated but they come pretty accurate from the factory and its specs can be looked up if you wish. I chose indirect sunlight because it’s the same for most people (depending on your level of smog).

In the first picture the purple is nearly identical to what I see with my eyes by holding the keyboard next to my screen. It’s maybe a tad cooler than real life but it’s the closest I got without completely blowing up the picture. I was never really able to get both purple and yellow to match at the same time so I corrected for purple on this photo because it needed less correction.

This second photo with the LEDs needed VERY little correction and I think is even closer to real life than the purple of the first photo. (Edit: this second picture also shows how quickly the purple changes depending on how much shade is covering it. In this photo my body is between the window and the keyboard but in the first photo it's not.)

One thing I’ve noticed a lot is pictures posted that have been taken in an unknown artificial light source. Yes, the photo might match what you see with your eyes but without knowing the lighting conditions the reference is basically useless.

I’m personally very pleased with how this set turned out. I doesn’t perfectly match the renders but with how difficult this color has been to photograph, I’d say they did a pretty good job.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 November 2018, 18:30:51 by Atredl »

Offline phatty

• dailyclack.com
« Reply #391 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 17:39:46 »
If you aren't enamored with your set and are looking to sell, let me know. I know a guy after one.

Offline Solotov

« Reply #392 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 21:16:06 »
Anyone knows when zFrontier will ship the set?
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #393 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 00:55:22 »

I got my set today as well, this is a very unique color. I can actually see the difference - not just in a he pictures- but in real life too. I personally feel that the purple is a tad too strong for normal fluorescent lights (office setting) and Absolutely gorgeous under natural (but bright - read outside) sunlight . The yello is good too.

On my desk it looks like atredl ‘s second picture.

I feel like it really goes well with gold colored cases like the examples above...

Offline lee jeong woo

« Reply #394 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 01:29:24 »
Anyone knows when zFrontier will ship the set?

zfrontier said

They should be ready to ship in December!

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #395 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 13:50:40 »
Just a heads up that I have most orders shipped and am just waiting on sleeves/cables to arrive to ship the orders that had those, which is about 15 orders.

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #396 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 10:32:17 »
Just a heads up that I have most orders shipped and am just waiting on sleeves/cables to arrive to ship the orders that had those, which is about 15 orders.

Hey Donut, who is making the cables and the sleeves? Nothing wrong or anything, just wondering...

Offline the_high_5

« Reply #397 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 17:55:55 »
If anyone finds that they are not satisfied with their set, I am very interested in taking it off your hands. Feel free to shoot me a PM!

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #398 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 17:04:46 »

Hey Donut, who is making the cables and the sleeves? Nothing wrong or anything, just wondering...

MyKeyboard.eu

Offline the_high_5

« Reply #399 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 12:47:53 »
My apologies if this has been stated already in the thread, but will Donut Cables be stocking extras? I unfortunately missed this, and would really like to pick up a set.