Author Topic: [IC] GMK Taurine  (Read 11714 times)

Offline ViciousVerbivore

[IC] GMK Taurine
« on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 08:09:04 »
Alright, so I didn't want to do it this way, but there has been more than one idea that I have been working on that has been "usurped" by a weak IC in the past few months. So, I decided to go the same route to "make my claim" before the same fate befell yet another idea.

I've been a huge motorsport fan for as long as I can remember, and that passion influenced my decision to pursue a career in engineering, which briefly even put me in touch with Formula 1 and rally cars after that. Although I don't currently get to be as close to my obsession as I would like, it can still be an inspiration for other things - I have designed motorsport themed t-shirts for blipshift and written articles for Petrolicious. And, in similar vein, inspired by a "modern classic" motorsport paint scheme, this is GMK Taurine.

Please surmise all you can from these quick "proof of concept" renders. Rest assured though, that I'm in touch with my own Renderman to provide us all with something that provides a better representation of my vision. And, yes, even though my account isn't very old, I lurked on GH for a long time before signing up, and have been indulging in MK stuff for a fair amount longer than even that; so, I am not jumping in without having a proper estimation of the undertaking. I have also read and agree with Krelbit's copy-pasta, but my reasons to go this route are stated clearly in the very beginning of this IC.

Kitting (Base - includes basic ISO support, Novelties, Spacebars, 40s at the moment) and proper renders are WIP. Once those are in the IC, and possible community-requested changes have been effected, if enough interest is seen to suggest potential for a GB, I will get in touch with GMK and/or vendors to "put it on the grid".

246731-0

246733-1

246735-2

Offline yoot

• none
Re: [IC] GMK Taurine
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 08:14:34 »
I liek. Inb4 someone doesn't read and posts krelbit copypasta

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 08:40:29 »
I like the colors, but I just feel like the set right now at it's current state isnt good enough, maybe it's the white on the modifiers idk.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline break

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 09:00:11 »
I'm sorry to hear about your other ideas. That's never fun.

Are your mod legends intentionally colored? Your base mods are white, but your F-row and numpad is completely red. Not nitpicking (I understand this is a rough POC) but it'll help me better understand your set.

I think there's something here, but you're literally using GMK Deep Navy's blue and that really throws me off. I think a blue with slightly more red (something blue-purple) would better mesh with the alphas.

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 09:24:22 »
> make my claim

you don't own colors

Offline ViciousVerbivore

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 10:04:29 »
I like the colors, but I just feel like the set right now at it's current state isnt good enough, maybe it's the white on the modifiers idk.

Is it the icons or the text mods that are off-putting? The plan is to use all text mods.

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 10:06:32 »

Is it the icons or the text mods that are off-putting? The plan is to use all text mods.
Oh, I didnt mean the icons or text. I meant the white color on the modifiers. Although this is my personal judgement.

Offline ViciousVerbivore

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 10:11:58 »

Are your mod legends intentionally colored? Your base mods are white, but your F-row and numpad is completely red. Not nitpicking (I understand this is a rough POC) but it'll help me better understand your set.

I think there's something here, but you're literally using GMK Deep Navy's blue and that really throws me off. I think a blue with slightly more red (something blue-purple) would better mesh with the alphas.

Yeah, I'm not entirely happy with the base colour here, and am still looking at other alternatives (I'm working off Hex codes, and this has consistently been the closest match suggested to me, even when my hex code values have changed). I have a RAL colour as a stand-by and might switch to that considering that the consensus seems to be that GMK are able to match RAL better than Pantone. In any case, a deep, dark, almost-black blue is what I'm after too, so I'm not sure if the similarity to Deep Navy can be avoided. I'll get in touch with ttom to see if that might be a problem.

Offline break

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 10:13:54 »

Yeah, I'm not entirely happy with the base colour here, and am still looking at other alternatives (I'm working off Hex codes, and this has consistently been the closest match suggested to me, even when my hex code values have changed). I have a RAL colour as a stand-by and might switch to that considering that the consensus seems to be that GMK are able to match RAL better than Pantone. In any case, a deep, dark, almost-black blue is what I'm after too, so I'm not sure if the similarity to Deep Navy can be avoided. I'll get in touch with ttom to see if that might be a problem.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. From looking at the Red Bull livery, this makes sense. As I understand it GMK can match both RAL and Pantone without too much fuss. Their resin supplier has RAL references on-site, but they seemingly matched GMK Analog Dreams to Pantone chips really well.

Don't forget my other questions about the mods!

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 10:15:13 »

ROFL YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE COLORS PICKED BUT BETTER LOCK IN THAT SCHEME $$$$$$

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. From looking at the Red Bull livery, this makes sense. As I understand it GMK can match both RAL and Pantone without too much fuss. Their resin supplier has RAL references on-site, but they seemingly matched GMK Analog Dreams to Pantone chips really well.

Don't forget my other questions about the mods!

Offline ViciousVerbivore

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 10:23:33 »
> make my claim

you don't own colors

I'm well aware, and it's not lost on me that this combination is also inspired by something somebody else came up with (but for a different purpose). It wasn't without thought and consideration that the bit you have quoted was written within quotes. :D

We also don't own sounds, or thoughts, but, somehow, as a civilization, have collectively come to agree that putting different ones of any of those abstract things together in a unique or specific way is worth attribution; now, I'm not sure what you were getting at, but I could also possibly interpret it to mean that I shouldn't care about other ICs that use the same colours that I had in mind as long as there is a minor enough difference. I don't think that would sit very well with those running the other ICs.

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 10:23:36 »
you don't own colors
Right but people get really sensitive here when someone runs the same or similar set without "checking with the owner".
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 10:37:47 »
firefly used a really dark blue (RAL 5011) almost black before Emir wanted something lighter, so the color Emir chose I believe never actually got used, and GMK matched it pretty well.

Relevent thread page:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=102667.150

Offline beigeandbrown

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 11:44:26 »
I like the set, I'm a big f1/racing fan so that gulf gmk interest check and ferrari style gmk check has got me interested in all of this a lot. So I may be relating this to the redbull f1 team a little too much, but I think it would be better if the alphas were white on navy. Then go full red on yellow for all the modifiers with a possible yellow on red for something like the escape key and enter key. Again referring back to what someone else has already said and more in line with the f1 livery, I think a very dark blue that's almost black could give a more striking look to the alphas.

Offline blacksimon

• illuminati.works
    • illuminati.works
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 10:47:28 »
give me moooooorrreeeeeee

Offline Lenux

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 11:14:17 »
Would love to see more ! Love the colors !

GLWIC !

Offline fropsie

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 13:29:19 »
I disagree with your method of "calling dibs". Maybe produced a full fledged IC and make it worth peoples time.

Offline sagarsiddhpura

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 14:29:24 »
What is that gorgeous keyboard?

Offline Felix1

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 15:01:06 »
I like it

Offline Butterbeer

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 02:45:18 »
Alright, so I didn't want to do it this way, but there has been more than one idea that I have been working on that has been "usurped" by a weak IC in the past few months...

USURPED
definition
verb (used with object)
  • to seize and hold (a position, office, power, etc.) by force or without legal right:
    The pretender tried to usurp the throne.
  • to use without authority or right; employ wrongfully:
    The magazine usurped copyrighted material.
verb (used without object)
  • to commit forcible or illegal seizure of an office, power, etc.; encroach.

Am I missing something? Did someone get dethroned?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 21:10:33 »
USURPED
definition
verb (used with object)
  • to seize and hold (a position, office, power, etc.) by force or without legal right:
    The pretender tried to usurp the throne.
  • to use without authority or right; employ wrongfully:
    The magazine usurped copyrighted material.
verb (used without object)
  • to commit forcible or illegal seizure of an office, power, etc.; encroach.

Am I missing something? Did someone get dethroned?

This makes it funnier:

Offline Bax

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 05:54:55 »

Would also like to know :)

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 10:37:39 »

Would also like to know :)

Gorgeous keyboard is a Cypher.

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 12:33:11 »
you mean gmk redbull?

Offline sagarsiddhpura

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 05:24:42 »
I love this set. Could you consider blue on yellow novelties

Offline Owl

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 11:53:16 »
Colors are in all the right places. Like I know exactly what I am looking at without needing an explanation. It honestly feels like if Redbull themselves would have chosen this color layout. Well done!